Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao vs Mosley Showtime Commentary
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
RyanTical
How do you guys feel about the biggest Boxing event of the year (possibly) being called by commentators not named: Jim Lampley, Emmanuel Stewart, Larry Merchant/Max Kellerman?

Aslong as Gus Johnson or Al Bernstein doesn't go: "BANG! BANG!". I think we'll be good.
salvador
Lampley and Merchant are the best - my favorite sportscasting team in any sport. I like Bernstein but he doesn't add anything to the excitement level. Tarver is also a great addition to Showtime.

The one advantage Showtime has over HBO is The "Classy" Jimmy Lennon Jr. - way cooler than Buffer.
JD
Bernstein is the best in the business.
D-MARV
I think it sucks that HBO isn't airing this fight. I love Lampley and Merchant's grumpy old ass! It definitely won't feel like a Superfight without HBO airing it, Just my opinion.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 29 2011, 10:18 AM) *
I think it sucks that HBO isn't airing this fight. I love Lampley and Merchant's grumpy old ass! It definitely won't feel like a Superfight without HBO airing it, Just my opinion.

EXACTLY how I feel!

Now if only we could agree on Bradley and Khan,lol.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (JD @ Apr 29 2011, 09:54 AM) *
Bernstein is the best in the business.

Yup and he is not a dickrider and will be calling it like he sees it.
caneman
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 29 2011, 11:00 AM) *
Yup and he is not a dickrider and will be calling it like he sees it.

That's how I feel honestly! I can see why others want Lamp and merch tho. I like that Showtime isn't so bias and that they ain't trying to feed us some bullshit we don't wanna eat!
Snoop
Bernstein is top notch quality. I can do without Gus Johnson though. His excitement is contrived.
Jack 1000
Merchant has lost "it" do to aging. I like Bernstien, he is a class act. Gus Johnson is lukewarm, but might improve with more boxing experience. Tarver is OK. Does mumble at times like Manny Steward and seems hard to understand. Kellerman still has an agenda of bias toward the fighters he likes, but has improved in class and professionalism since his ESPN 2 days with Atlas. Teddy doesn't sugar coat things, but his "thinks he knows everything" agendas are tiresome.

I still think Lamply pom-poms too much compared to say 10-20 years ago for the fighter under HBO's contract. Showtime has done far-less cheerleading and dick-riding since Tyson left the network compared to HBO. However, for natural excitement, no one matches Lamply.

It seems unnatural that Pacquiao-Mosley is going to be a Showtime fight.

Jack
caneman
Just one thing on both HBO and Showtime, both fucking up by not hiring Kevin Kelly cause he is really good IMO! He is better than RJJ, Stewart and Tarver by so much...of course he wouldn't be a very good yes man and who knows if his last few fights may have hurt his speaking ability but I really liked him when I seen/heard him! He talked well enough to do blow by blow and we know he knows boxing!
BigG
Berstain is my favorite as well....Very passionate about the sport..alot of experience..knows his shit...
happygocampy
Tarver is the only Showtime commentator that doesn't have his head up his ass. Bernstein and Farhood while they know the sport, have a serious problem @ calling shit wrong on a constant bases without having a clue, and Gus is an obvious bias fanboy towards certain fighters and knowingly calls shit wrong. HBO ain't no better it don't matter which network airs the fight.
JONdaCON817
"OH MY GOD" seems like the only thing Manny Stewart can pronounce while being articulate.lol.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.