Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dan Rafael - "I Wish Briggs vs Vitali Had Gone 15 Rounds Instead of 12!"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/684767-...l-war-continues

ESPN.com boxing scribe Dan Rafael and retired heavyweight ex-champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs have been engaged in a verbal war for the past couple of months, after Briggs launched a highly personal Twitter attack on Rafael, claiming that the popular journalist is unduly influenced by certain boxing figures and in his opinion is likely on the take.

Briggs also made numerous derogatory comments about Rafael's physical appearance, specifically targeting the writer's weight.

Rafael in return expressed irritation with Briggs, saying he needed to "watch what he says." But today, he went further, saying in his regular Friday chat session that after hearing Briggs' remarks about him, he wished that Briggs' fight against Vitali Klitschko, in which he took a vicious, career-ending beating, "went 15 rounds," instead of the usual 12.

12 rounds of the pummelling from Klitschko was enough to put Briggs in a German hospital for two weeks.

Immediately, negative reaction developed, with one poster saying that that remark "wasn't very nice."

"It wasn't meant to be," Rafael replied, before promptly ending the session, suggesting that perhaps many of the chat participants didn't approve of the verbal shot at Briggs.

Furthermore, the pointed barb about wishing Briggs had taken a 15-round beating, along with Rafael's clarification that he was serious, has now been excised from today's chat transcript by someone at ESPN.com.

ESPN.com has so far given no explanation as to why the chat transcript has been censored.

Briggs' Twitter account is now private.

Haha. He sounds like he could get on great with Stevenski.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 30 2011, 07:50 AM) *
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/684767-...l-war-continues

Haha. He sounds like he could get on great with Stevenski.
Not a fan of rafael at all. He always struck me as the type of person that allowed his personal biases to greatly and clearly affect what should be an objective assesment of the sport. It's one thing to write an editorial / opinion piece and let it be known that's what it is, but another thing to write an editorial disguised as an objective piece, which is what, to me, rafael and others like him do. As far as the comment that he wished it went 15 vs. 12, I think shows exactly how out of touch he is with the actual experience of being a boxer, which is pathetic when he's supposed to be one of the experts on the sport.
lloyd mayflower
Rafael is entitled to say what he wants, and eat as many pies as he wants. Two priveleges he clearly exercises to the fullest.

What he's no longer entitled to is any respect as a boxing writer after a comment like that.

FAT FUCK!
JLUVBABY
raphael is entitled to his own opinion... him and briggs have a beef so he's not supposed to talk highly of briggs i suppose... with that being said i dont thing very highly of raphael as a person... not because of this statement but because of all the crap he has had to say combined as if he is truly a boxing mind...
caneman
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 30 2011, 09:20 AM) *
Rafael is entitled to say what he wants, and eat as many pies as he wants. Two priveleges he clearly exercises to the fullest.

What he's no longer entitled to is any respect as a boxing writer after a comment like that.

FAT FUCK!

Yea and that fat pussy is in the lead for the match maker for HBO! The fat pig can't even do a push up or a sit up! I bet Erin Andrews would stop him in 2-3 rounds if he didn't have a heart attack after getting hit in the face a few times!! lol
lloyd mayflower
Comments like that are for people like us on boards like this. A man is his position really should rise above it and show a biit of dignity. When did you ever hear of any respectable figure in boxing saying basically they wished a fighter had got badly hurt in the ring.
caneman
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 30 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Comments like that are for people like us on boards like this. A man is his position really should rise above it and show a biit of dignity. When did you ever hear of any respectable figure in boxing saying basically they wished a fighter had got badly hurt in the ring.

You will only hear it from a fat turd who never laced up a pair of gloves and fought in the ring...I really believe Erin Andrews would stop him!
D-MARV
Good for Dan Rafael! I love it.

Briggs went in on Dan a couple of weeks calling him a "Fat Ass" among other insults. I respect Dan a little bit more after this!

As far as him being the Match maker for HBO, this could be a good move. Dan is a hardcore fan just like everyone else who posts on these boards. I think he generally knows what fights the fans want to see. Could work out in our favor???
gravytrain
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 30 2011, 04:01 PM) *
Good for Dan Rafael! I love it.

Briggs went in on Dan a couple of weeks calling him a "Fat Ass" among other insults. I respect Dan a little bit more after this!

As far as him being the Match maker for HBO, this could be a good move. Dan is a hardcore fan just like everyone else who posts on these boards. I think he generally knows what fights the fans want to see. Could work out in our favor???

you serious? if Rafael gets a gift card to denny's he'll be giving unknowns primetime spots.
Mean Mister Mustard
Almost everything that I have heard about Rafael is that he's a jackass. Therefore, his comments about Briggs come as no surprise.
Method
Dan being a matchmaker at HBO scares me to death, specifically, because he IS a fan...a fanatic, and I fear we'd be seeing a preferential bias to the fighters he continuously pines for (Joel 'Ahhhh the Love Child' Julio anyone?).
Nay_Sayer
HBO's boxing program has been going to hell in a hand basket. The addition of Rafael will only make that train run express.

Think I'll go renew my subscription to Showtime...
SmartyBeardo
I keep picturing Rafael in a Babushka outfit in a stage production of Fiddler On The Roof.
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 1 2011, 04:11 PM) *
I keep picturing Rafael in a Babushka outfit in a stage production of Fiddler On The Roof.

I am bent out shape with this fat turd, IMO he isn't even that good @ what he does and is more of a reporter than a writer! This POS is about to get one of the greatest jobs I can think of as matchmaker for HBO! He couldn't do 10 push-ups and the only curls he could do is with his plate @ the local buffet and 12 oz curls with his drink...to me this mother fucker is even below Jim Grey! FUCK HIM!
caneman

laugh.gif thumbsup_anim.gif
Cheesey1
Although to be fair to Rafael, I haven't read anything that he's written recently, mostly because I'm not a fan in the least. but I guess I should read something that he wrote recently.
KookedKrack
Not a fan of his but I'll reserve my judgement on his matchmaking till I see his work.
lloyd mayflower
Even if hes the best matchmaker in history, hes still a fat shit and proved it with those comments about Briggs. Rafael is privileged to be in the position of getting paid to pass comment about sport. With the sport of boxing comes the spectre of people getting hurt doing their job. It sticks in my throat enough that some one as fat and obnoxious as him gets to run the rule over young fit strong dedicated athletes, but then he makes comments like that. What an absolute piece of shit.

So, since he wishes Shannon Briggs had to go 3 extra rounds so that some serious health issues would befall him, heres what I wish.

I wish next time Rafael is sitting in his office, someone sets of the fire alarm, raising his heart rate just enough that the act of getting his fat arse out of his extra wide seat a couple of seconds quicker than usual will cause a massive cardiac arrest.

Karma will hurt you at your work fatboy
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Method @ May 1 2011, 07:21 AM) *
Dan being a matchmaker at HBO scares me to death, specifically, because he IS a fan...a fanatic, and I fear we'd be seeing a preferential bias to the fighters he continuously pines for (Joel 'Ahhhh the Love Child' Julio anyone?).

Me too for all of the reasons Method said,

In addition to the fact that he is not experienced enough in this business to handle the job. At least on paper. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.

Jack
BGv2.0
I wonder how he would feel about Briggs saying "I wish Briggs Vs Rafael had gone down in the ring"..lol

It's pretty bad when this fat man is having to wish another man had fought his fight for him.

I don't care how big another man is and how out of shape I am compared to them...you will never catch me wishing another man would do my job on the guy. I don't care if I knew 100% that I was going to get my F'N ass beat and my clocked cleaned royaly....it's my fight to get beat up in.

Hell, I've fought guys in the past that I knew were going to beat my ass...but I still tried no matter what!

If Rafael were a real man....he would catch a flight to Briggs hometown, arrive at his door at 6:00am, ring the doorbell, cover the peephole with his thumb and when the door opens...with all his fat little might throw the biggest punch he can at Briggs mouth.....THEN accept the ass beating.

At the very least it would show he has balls.....you know...those little things that allow you stay up on your feet for 12 rounds while a giant russian man beats your face to a pulp....

caneman
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ May 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *
I wonder how he would feel about Briggs saying "I wish Briggs Vs Rafael had gone down in the ring"..lol

It's pretty bad when this fat man is having to wish another man had fought his fight for him.

I don't care how big another man is and how out of shape I am compared to them...you will never catch me wishing another man would do my job on the guy. I don't care if I knew 100% that I was going to get my F'N ass beat and my clocked cleaned royaly....it's my fight to get beat up in.

Hell, I've fought guys in the past that I knew were going to beat my ass...but I still tried no matter what!

If Rafael were a real man....he would catch a flight to Briggs hometown, arrive at his door at 6:00am, ring the doorbell, cover the peephole with his thumb and when the door opens...with all his fat little might throw the biggest punch he can at Briggs mouth.....THEN accept the ass beating.

At the very least it would show he has balls.....you know...those little things that allow you stay up on your feet for 12 rounds while a giant russian man beats your face to a pulp....

A lot of truth in those words right there...I never liked Rafael much but between this & what he said on FNF's a few weeks ago, I hate him & have zero respect for him! I mean it's pretty bad to have someone think you are worse than Jim Grey!!!
King Eugene
Its funny and fucked up all at the same time. Rafael reminds me of that kid in school that new he couldn't fight worth a shit but talked the most trash because he knew no one would touch him because he knew he had a little pull and the consequences are extreme if Briggs lays a finger on him. Never really been a fan of Rafael's writing and I'll also hold judgement on his matchmaking abilities after I see some of his work.
caneman
He doesn't deserve a chance at the HBO job and should be fired from ESPN....HE IS ON MY SHIT LIST! FUCK HIM!
Snoop
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ May 2 2011, 10:19 PM) *

Amen to that.
AussieLad
Boxing needs more spite in my opinion...
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 3 2011, 06:46 AM) *
He is right though...............all championship fights should be 15 rounds, lol.

Having an odd amount of rounds in a fight may eliminate more chances of draws happening lol.

I agree that a man in his position should never have said such a strong opinionated comment like that. Seems very unprofessional!
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ May 3 2011, 09:03 AM) *
Having an odd amount of rounds in a fight may eliminate more chances of draws happening lol.

I agree that a man in his position should never have said such a strong opinionated comment like that. Seems very unprofessional!

Very accurate throughout your post, but theres something missing...... I'm just not... feeling it.

There is so much venom you can direct at Rafael on pure physical attributes alone! I was really looking for this thread to descend into vile (justified) insults pretty quickly!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
13 rounds would be nice but we don't have many draws as it is. 12 rounds is OK but I think the problem is just plain disgusting biased judging. 12 rounds, 13 rounds they'll still give it to the wrong guy 5 times out of 10.

Dan Rafeal seems a very superficial kind of writer. More a collater. Looks like he just picks tid bits off the the internet and repackages them as his own. I bet he couldn't even hold his own on these boards.

Man to go completely off track I was rewatching the Martinez/Williams fight again. I find you pick up more with repeated viewings. To anyone that said that was a lucky punch......... boy before he landed the KO shot he about 5 or 6 mighty goes previously at banging the left hand. Big obvious goes as well. Nothing too subtle. What's worse Williams saw him have 5 or 6 tries and made no adjustments. Random I know.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 3 2011, 05:12 AM) *
Yeah, they saw something in the PWill v DingALing fight and they were convinced that Paul would not adjust. Bingo.

That's what so dissappointing about Williams he keeps making the same mistakes he's been making for years.

Hey Beardo why don't you jump over to the General section and give us a bit a rundown on you believe the Osama raid would've played out. I know a few of the guys enjoy you sharing your knowledge/experience from 'those days.'
Byrd Man
While I think Dan was out of line with what he said, you have to remember Briggs called him out and attacked his ethics and honor.

I mean if that's not a time to go all in on someone, (aside from maybe having your wife/kids insulted) I don't know what is.

You can only take the high road so often, which Dan pretty much did when Briggs first started. He merely said he wasn't the one Briggs should be mad at, and simply said that Briggs should watch what he says (in relation to making accusations of ethical lines crossing). Then Briggs kept on, and finally Dan snapped.

Not trying to Defend Dan here, as he does come off as a prick, but it's not like Briggs wasn't saying shit and Dan just flipped on him.
caneman
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 5 2011, 06:34 PM) *
While I think Dan was out of line with what he said, you have to remember Briggs called him out and attacked his ethics and honor.

I mean if that's not a time to go all in on someone, (aside from maybe having your wife/kids insulted) I don't know what is.

You can only take the high road so often, which Dan pretty much did when Briggs first started. He merely said he wasn't the one Briggs should be mad at, and simply said that Briggs should watch what he says (in relation to making accusations of ethical lines crossing). Then Briggs kept on, and finally Dan snapped.

Not trying to Defend Dan here, as he does come off as a prick, but it's not like Briggs wasn't saying shit and Dan just flipped on him.

You like him so you'd defend him...but fuck that 10 sanmich POS! I STILL SAY ERIN ANDREWS STOPS HIM IN 2-3 ROUNDS AND SINCE YOU'LL TALK TO HIM TELL HIM THAT SHIT BRO!
gravytrain
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 5 2011, 07:34 PM) *

Briggs didn't call him out, Rafael was probably eating doubledowns by the handful and drinking bacon grease and said that Briggs was lying about getting ripped off on the Vitali fight. Rafael shouldn't have even commented on it if he didn't know what was going on. you can't just put someone on blast and say "i don't know though" and think they wont care.

they need to put on an exhibition, i'll take Briggs by stoppage in the first round. Rafael will probably gas after the ring walk.
caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 5 2011, 08:29 PM) *
Briggs didn't call him out, Rafael was probably eating doubledowns by the handful and drinking bacon grease and said that Briggs was lying about getting ripped off on the Vitali fight. Rafael shouldn't have even commented on it if he didn't know what was going on. you can't just put someone on blast and say "i don't know though" and think they wont care.

they need to put on an exhibition, i'll take Briggs by stoppage in the first round. Rafael will probably gas after the ring walk.

IT WOULDN'T BE FAIR! TRUST ME HERE! ERIN ANDREWS>>>>>DAN RAFAEL IN 2-3 ROUNDS MMA STYLE SO SHE CAN USE HER FEET! FAT TURD WOULD BE DONE!
Byrd Man
QUOTE (caneman @ May 5 2011, 06:04 PM) *
You like him so you'd defend him...but fuck that 10 sanmich POS! I STILL SAY ERIN ANDREWS STOPS HIM IN 2-3 ROUNDS AND SINCE YOU'LL TALK TO HIM TELL HIM THAT SHIT BRO!

When the fuck do I talk to him? lol. And why is it that every single person that rips Dan focuses on his weight? The dude's not even that fat, and everyone's focusing on that aspect. IF you hate the guy so much, focus on things that matter like his biased nature, his shoddy writing and that type of shit, if that's what you believe.

But people who focus on the weight thing, just lose me because it tells me they don't really have a case, and they have to get personal with the insults.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.