Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP Henry Cooper
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
blackbelt2003
RIP to a true British boxing hero.

He was a single punch from eliminating Muhammad Ali from the history books, flooring him and leaving him almost out cold when the bell went to end the 4th round in 1963. Ali survived and went on to win via cuts, and also stopped Cooper on cuts again in a world title fight in 1966.

Cooper was British/Commonwealth/European Champion, and held the former title for over 10 years, which is remarkable when you consider he was in era which spawned some quality British heavies.

He is a real British sporting hero, but I wondered what the overseas take on him was. You all know how us Brits like to hype a no-hoper who gets zero press in other countries!!!

Is he even known to non-Brits?

Black
Maxy
Shocked to hear this.

Lost for words.

RIP Sir Henry Cooper.

A sad day.

Time to mourn a British legend.
Maxy
OK, 45 people here, at the time of reading, have read this news and decided not to comment.

For me that shows a lack of respect so I'm done with fighthype.

Cheerio.
caneman
RIP old warrior! He was a good guy too! Sad news for boxing and I believe 2 days before his 77th birthday to boot! thumbsdown_anim.gif
STEVENSKI
RIP Coops. Not a "great" boxer by any stretch but a great human being who gave his all in everything he did & was the only man to legitimately knock down a prime Ali.

A genuine British boxing icon has passed & the boxing world is a poorer place because he is no longer here.

gravytrain
i've heard of him but haven't seen many of his fights other than the fights with Ali, i've seen in some Ali videos too. seemed like an interesting guy. they can't live forever but i always hate to see guys that were in the mix back in the 1960s go.
Jack 1000
RIP Henry,

The world has lost a very good fighter and humanitarian.

Jack
ViperSniper
R.I.P Henry Cooper!
and the NEW
RIP indeed.

The guy always struck me as very cheery, funny and witty.

Does anyone know how he died?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 1 2011, 02:33 PM) *
RIP to a true British boxing hero.

He was a single punch from eliminating Muhammad Ali from the history books, flooring him and leaving him almost out cold when the bell went to end the 4th round in 1963. Ali survived and went on to win via cuts, and also stopped Cooper on cuts again in a world title fight in 1966.

Cooper was British/Commonwealth/European Champion, and held the former title for over 10 years, which is remarkable when you consider he was in era which spawned some quality British heavies.

He is a real British sporting hero, but I wondered what the overseas take on him was. You all know how us Brits like to hype a no-hoper who gets zero press in other countries!!!

Is he even known to non-Brits?

Black

Cooper was a true warrior, along the lines of Bonavena, Chuvalo and Quarry. Loved all of those guys. Hardworking overachievers all.

R.I.P. Henry. You gave this reality your all.

QUOTE (Maxy @ May 1 2011, 03:17 PM) *
OK, 45 people here, at the time of reading, have read this news and decided not to comment.

For me that shows a lack of respect so I'm done with fighthype.

Cheerio.

A tad fukin touchy, eh Maxy? I'm one of the only farts old enough to have actually watched him fight. Henry was nails.

But, I couldn't give more than a rotten hungover dump about your fucked up monarchy, and their silly little hats.
and the NEW
ha ha ha, your in the mood today hey Smarty! ;-)

Maxy
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 1 2011, 11:04 PM) *
Why does it bother you?

That said, there are like 5 posters here now. This also isn't a forum where it's private or you need to be a member to browse the forums. Chances are, majority of those 45 could have just been lurkers that read the forum.

Anyways, RIP.

Bothered me big time. Had a bad day all round, was drunk as fuck and basically just fed up.

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 2 2011, 01:52 AM) *
A tad fukin touchy, eh Maxy? I'm one of the only farts old enough to have actually watched him fight. Henry was nails.

But, I couldn't give more than a rotten hungover dump about your fucked up monarchy, and their silly little hats.

What the fuck has the Monarchy got to do with anything?
BigG
RIP to a warrior
SENTRAL
Cooper so very nearly changed the course of history with that ferocious left hook. Imagine.

Rip Henry Cooper.
The CEO
I'm here to pay my respect...Beardo's comparisons to Bonavena, Chuvalo, and Quarry are dead on...those types of fighters are almost impossible to dislike...

To me, Sir Henry Cooper is right up there near Lennox Lewis in the very top tier of British ATGs...he had an iron chin and a rapier's wit...a fighter's fighter...with an ego that would make Joe Calzaghe blush...lol

R.I.P. Champ
Michigan Assassin
Met him several years agon in Canastota and he was an incredibly nice guy. Signed a few autographs and was very approachable and seemed to be enjoying his time there.

RIP

Maxy
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 2 2011, 08:32 PM) *
Finally get to catch up with Mrs. Beardo on the long flight from the east and she can't stop going on about where she can find some fukin ridiculous hats she saw at 3am during the royal bedding. I reminded her that she lives in the USA, where we don't bow to kings and czars. She then makes her argument that Russia was better off with a monarchy and shit.

And, you know, she has a decent argument.

Doused a bottle of Tito's stashed in my duffel bag and woke up to you bitchin about what I perceived as me personally not showing one of my favorite fighters from my childhood respect.

Hence the "rotten hungover dump" comment. Fuck monarchies, but Henry was alright.

Fair play.
mexi-cutioner
RIP Henry Cooper. Never got to see many of your fights, but I did see your fight with Ali. That being said, if Dundee didn't cheat and tear open Ali's gloves when Ali looked to be out on his feet, the world of boxing would be a completely different place....
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 1 2011, 10:52 PM) *
Cooper was a true warrior, along the lines of Bonavena, Chuvalo and Quarry. Loved all of those guys. Hardworking overachievers all.

R.I.P. Henry. You gave this reality your all.

diss the monarchy as much as u want, but the U.S. government is definitely not worth boasting about either lol...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.