Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antonio Margarito struggling to recover from eye injury
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KookedKrack
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-maraga...0,6376384.story

The former world welterweight champion sustained the injury in a loss to Manny Pacquiao in November and will undergo an examination next week that could determine whether his career can resume.

Antonio Margarito, the former world welterweight boxing champion beaten by Manny Pacquiao in November, is struggling to recover from a right eye injury suffered in that bout and will undergo an extensive examination next week that probably will determine whether his career can resume.

Margarito (38-7, 27 knockouts) was struck in the eye by a left uppercut from Pacquiao in the fourth round of his unanimous-decision loss to the Filipino star Nov. 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Margarito's promoter, Bob Arum, earlier this year sought to schedule a summer date for Margarito to have a rematch against world super-welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, then pushed it back to September.

Word came Thursday that Margarito will now visit the University of Utah's prestigious John A. Moran Eye Center next week.

"The eye is still giving him trouble; it has not completely healed," Arum said.

Margarito's trainer, Robert Garcia, said he is "worried" about his fighter, who was ensnared in scandal in 2009 after plaster-coated inserts were pulled from inside his hand wraps before his loss to Shane Mosley at Staples Center. The California State Athletic Commission revoked Margarito's license.

"It's hard to think that he'll have to maybe quit like this when there's still million-dollar paydays out there for him," Garcia said. "I always tell these guys to invest their money when they get it, because that next big fight might never come. This is a big hit. He's a close friend."

drinks.gif
RyanTical
Karma is a bitch? ...it sucks that his career is in jeaporady over an eye injury. Hopefully he get through it okay. It seems like 2010 into 2011 are the years of eye injuries.

Margarito, Koscheck, GSP, Kessler, et cetera.
TheFonz
Good
Michigan Assassin
If Izzy Vasquez and Lamon Brewster could get licensed in thei last fights then Margarito shouldn't have a problem.

It sucks that someone who was always a fan favorite (before being shown to be a cheater) to have their career possibly cut short like this.
Snoop
QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ May 7 2011, 12:21 AM) *
If Izzy Vasquez and Lamon Brewster could get licensed in thei last fights then Margarito shouldn't have a problem.

It sucks that someone who was always a fan favorite (before being shown to be a cheater) to have their career possibly cut short like this.

Well since he is a cheater, it doesn't really suck all that much.
JONdaCON817
I hope is career is over.. i hate that MF...

he wasnt thinking about Cotto or Mosely's careers when he was loading his gloves.. they easily coulda been done with career ending injuries..

The only downside would be not seeing Cotto get his revenge IMO.
TheFonz
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ May 6 2011, 09:53 PM) *
I hope is career is over.. i hate that MF...

he wasnt thinking about Cotto or Mosely's careers when he was loading his gloves.. they easily coulda been done with career ending injuries..

The only downside would be not seeing Cotto get his revenge IMO.

+1
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 6 2011, 10:36 PM) *
No it doesn't. It sucks that he was allowed back into professional boxing at all.

Exactly.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 6 2011, 09:36 PM) *
No it doesn't. It sucks that he was allowed back into professional boxing at all.

right on Beardo... i woulda banned him for life personally..
neophyte7
Arum was his promoter while he was fighting with bricks in his hands... how culpable is he???
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 6 2011, 09:36 PM) *

That's how I feel and never hated on him til he cheated...since then I never wanted him to fight again and no shit, when I seen this pic, I thought out loud, ain't karma a fucking bitch!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.