Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV Worthy
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
alaganza
After last night's "event", my question is are there any matchups that are truly PPV worthy?

Outside of Mayweather and Pacman of course.

caneman
QUOTE (alaganza @ May 8 2011, 09:10 PM) *
After last night's "event", my question is are there any matchups that are truly PPV worthy?

Outside of Mayweather and Pacman of course.

No not really but my Dad said something about 25 years ago & it's become 1/2 assed true, if we let them, they will make it all PPV! Interesting considering there are some that been doing it awhile! Look @ JCC Jr!
mexi-cutioner
Go fuck yourself Bob Arum

'nuff said.
Jack 1000
Nothing's changed on my perception of this,

I haven't purchased a PPV in six years because of the costs of our Cable/Road Runner/Digital Phone combo package. Family discussion shows a consensus that it is just not necessary to spend $50-$60 for what almost always amounts to just one fight on a card. I would say 75% or more of boxing matches on PPV aren't PPV worthy at all. Only closed-circuit caliber matches should be PPV, and even than, should not be more than $50. $40 would be more realistic. However, when promoters start pushing this $50-$60 price envelope, you gotta say no.

If you don't say no, where is the line drawn? $50, $60, $80, $100? What I have often wondered is if in practice there was a massive drop in PPV fight subscribers, I mean a HUGE drop where so many people just got sick of the cost of this shit, and the 1 million buy rate went down to something like 300,000. Would this move big time boxing back to HBO and Showtime for big live fights? Or would the promoters/matchmakers go back to a smaller, let's say, $30-$40 rate to make PPV more attractive again?

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 10 2011, 03:14 PM) *
Nothing's changed on my perception of this,

I haven't purchased a PPV in six years because of the costs of our Cable/Road Runner/Digital Phone combo package. Family discussion shows a consensus that it is just not necessary to spend $50-$60 for what almost always amounts to just one fight on a card. I would say 75% or more of boxing matches on PPV aren't PPV worthy at all. Only closed-circuit caliber matches should be PPV, and even than, should not be more than $50. $40 would be more realistic. However, when promoters start pushing this $50-$60 price envelope, you gotta say no.

If you don't say no, where is the line drawn? $50, $60, $80, $100? What I have often wondered is if in practice there was a massive drop in PPV fight subscribers, I mean a HUGE drop where so many people just got sick of the cost of this shit, and the 1 million buy rate went down to something like 300,000. Would this move big time boxing back to HBO and Showtime for big live fights? Or would the promoters/matchmakers go back to a smaller, let's say, $30-$40 rate to make PPV more attractive again?

Jack

if they lost that much money they would do something to get it back. i think the big problem is nobody really does anything about it. nobody was going to call Showtime, Top Rank and ESPN about Pac fighting Mosley.
KookedKrack
Last weeks fight has officially retired me from ordering PPV I am officially on the stream team as of Sunday May 8, 2011. I will also be pm'ing as many links as possible in hope that others do the same. At least you came to this realization a long time ago Jack1000 I have wasted way too much cash on ppvs with shitty cards, enough is enough. The links I get are usually in hd anyways so I'm dumb for not doing this earlier.
Col Reb
I wish we could get back to boxing on the networks. That would bring back the fan base that has dwindled.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Col Reb @ May 10 2011, 07:37 PM) *
I wish we could get back to boxing on the networks. That would bring back the fan base that has dwindled.

i don't know about that, casual fans i know tell me they don't order PPVs anymore because they got disappointed with one. you can get a shitty undercard where the fighters got picked just because they're promoted by the promoters handling the PPV and then the main event can turn out to be a sparring session. with something like the UFC they'll probably at least get 1 good fight if not multiple fights with enough action to keep them interested. i can't blame someone with no interest in boxing other than entertainment not buying anymore cards after they order some boring ass card that gets hyped as the card of the century.

Jack 1000
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 10 2011, 08:58 PM) *
i don't know about that, casual fans i know tell me they don't order PPVs anymore because they got disappointed with one. you can get a shitty undercard where the fighters got picked just because they're promoted by the promoters handling the PPV and then the main event can turn out to be a sparring session. with something like the UFC they'll probably at least get 1 good fight if not multiple fights with enough action to keep them interested. i can't blame someone with no interest in boxing other than entertainment not buying anymore cards after they order some boring ass card that gets hyped as the card of the century.

In rare cases, you will get a decent undercard like with Maidana-Morales, we had Guerrero-Katsidis as the main supporter. However, Maidana-Morales was a fluke of a great fight. It was supposed to be a mismatch going in, and of course there was Arce-Vasquez, as Pacquiao-Mosley's undercard. A classic war that saved a death bed main event. The problem is, the cost is too high for PPV, and it is still the main event as the reason why people are there. Pacquiao-Mosley had no business as a PPV. Pacquiao-Mosley had no business happening anyway. HBO or Showtime could have done a regular Saturday night fight on their premium channels by showing Arce-Vasquez as the one fight and people would have been thrilled.

In contrast, when you package a PPV main event with a star against a has-been, maybe this kind of sparring session shit is the thing that will make people more leery of purchasing PPV in the future. I wonder what Showtime thinks about all this and CBS? They moved away from PPV after Corrales-Castillo II's low buy rate. Maybe it's time they forfeit the PPV model once again. People just can't afford to get ripped off anymore at $60 a shot.

Jack
alaganza
I rarely ever buy ppv fights. Mosley-Mayweather was the last one I bought. The last one before that was Tyson-Lewis. Both times I got robbed because only one guy showed up to fight.

I guess the reason for my question is that i don't see boxing really developing/promoting a young talent as they should. But rather they will put a heavy price tag on guys that should have been gone for a while now.

At least that's how it seems to me. Obviously they are smarter than I am for the simple reason they suckered me out of my money at least twice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.