Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pac vs Sugar VS Money vs Sugar
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
EAlbian
Didn't see the fight yet but have read plenty about it. Curious to hear what everybody has to say in a comparison of the two fights. Who wins if they fight? Does this have any bearing on the outcome of the potential match-up? Here are the punch stats.

Mayweather

208 / 477

44%

Mosley

92 / 452

20%

(VS)

Pacquiao

224 / 727

31%

Mosley

66 / 330

20%
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 9 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Mayweather did. The Mosley in the ring looked MUCH better against Mayweather than the version that showed up on the weekend. Mayweather beat him in betterb fashion as well IMO.

I agree! Yet SSM's face looked worse after the fight with Pac...not that it means much!
mexi-cutioner
Other than his 2nd rd. hurrah vs. Mayweather, Mosley looked washed up in both fights. there honestly really wasn't much to compare they were equally shitty.
Snoop
You can't fully compare the two because there were two different Sugar Shanes at different points of his career. Floyd fought a Shane coming off a massive win against Margarito, the then recognized WW Champ of the world. Pac fought Shane coming off a draw against Mora, the guy that won The Contender.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 9 2011, 03:22 PM) *
You can't fully compare the two because there were two different Sugar Shanes at different points of his career. Floyd fought a Shane coming off a massive win against Margarito, the then recognized WW Champ of the world. Pac fought Shane coming off a draw against Mora, the guy that won The Contender.

KINDA coming off a massive win against Margarito...I mean, the Mayweather fight was like nearly a year and a half after that win. That unnecessarily long layoff was a big momentum killer for the already aging Sugar Shane
jvo1800
Shane showed up to fight Floyd and just got outclassed all night long, idk what the hell Shane was doing in the ring vs Pac....that was just a disgrace to boxing. This is why im still waiting on someone to explain to me how Pac's resume is stronger than Floyd's because all he's doing is fighting the same fighter as Floyd, BUT by the time they get to Pac they are already beaten mentally and physically or drained. Somebody please explain this to me.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ May 9 2011, 07:11 PM) *
Shane showed up to fight Floyd and just got outclassed all night long, idk what the hell Shane was doing in the ring vs Pac....that was just a disgrace to boxing. This is why im still waiting on someone to explain to me how Pac's resume is stronger than Floyd's because all he's doing is fighting the same fighter as Floyd, BUT by the time they get to Pac they are already beaten mentally and physically or drained. Somebody please explain this to me.

Because Pac's legacy isn't solely based on what he's done after Delahoya...
The Original MrFactor
Give Manny some credit. I think he beat the same Mosley that appeared in the Mayweather fight. The difference in the two fights was that once Mosley got rocked in the Pacquiao fight, he mailed it in. Against Mayweather he just got tired because he expended all of his energy trying to have a repeat of the second round. In each situation, it was the guy across the ring from Mosley that made him do what he did to lose the fight.

Manny and Mayweather used their individual skill set to beat Mosley. Manny iis by far the more explosive guy and it appeared that way. Mayweather is much better at thinking his way through a fight and his fight showed that. Its just a matter of what we fight fans like. I prefer a more explosive guy. A guy who goes in and throws accurate punches in bunches. I'm sure there are many of you who prefer a cerebral, boxing match. No shame in either preference. Thats what makes Manny vs May a good matchup. Who's will will conquer?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ May 9 2011, 10:11 PM) *

Manny fought Oscar, Hatton and Mosley. Mayweather ran from Margarito. He never fought Cotto or Clottey who were all top contenders around his weight class. He opted to retire rather than fight the winner of Cotto/Margarito. He did fight Juan Manuel Marquez though after Manny beat him and softened him up... Your logic works both ways...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 9 2011, 11:10 PM) *
Please. You seriously think that was the same Mosley? Mosley's legs were absolutely shot. He was stumbling around the ring with spaghetti legs even when he wasn't getting hit. I honestly can't see how someone could possibly think that both versions were the same. That's not to say that the one that fought Mayweather was great, but it was MUCH better than the one that showed up on the weekend.

I thought his legs were fine, until he got hit and knocked down early in the fight. Dude went into straight survival/panic mode. He wasnt hit like that against Floyd. The Floyd fight was just a year ago. It wasnt like he took a lot of damage in or after the Mayweather fight. He moved and looked similar, until he got hit with something he didnt like.
and the NEW
I think every fight fan has asked themsevles these same questions after this fight.

I think they both looked equally impressive in different ways.

As for who would win between PBF and Manny? I have altered opinions on this a few times, I find it that hard to pick. I'm still not sure.....
Snoop
In order to judge how Pacquiao fought against Mosley there would need to be an actual fight that took place. To be fair, that was Mosley's fault, not Pac's,but there really isn't too much to compare from Sat night to Floyd's performance.
gravytrain
QUOTE (and the NEW @ May 10 2011, 12:56 AM) *
I think every fight fan has asked themsevles these same questions after this fight.

I think they both looked equally impressive in different ways.

As for who would win between PBF and Manny? I have altered opinions on this a few times, I find it that hard to pick. I'm still not sure.....

who cares? i don't care about a fantasy matchup between two fighters in their prime and fighting in the same division. especially not when both sides have made a megafight into a fucking joke. unless they get in the ring and fight i could care less what they do, it's the only fight that matters for either fighter other than Martinez and Martinez isn't getting a fight with either of them.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 10 2011, 01:08 AM) *
In order to judge how Pacquiao fought against Mosley there would need to be an actual fight that took place. To be fair, that was Mosley's fault, not Pac's,but there really isn't too much to compare from Sat night to Floyd's performance.

i think it's hard to even compare the fights with the difference in styles between Mayweather and Pac. i do think that some aspects of the fight made me more confident that Mayweather will win though, Pac definitely isn't going to be landing on Mayweather like some people have suggested.

it's what it's though, the fight was shitty and both fighters made a lot of money for a lesser fight than fighting each other. neither seem to care since they got paid too.
and the NEW
A fight against Bradley or JMM 3 would be fun!
Snoop
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 10 2011, 05:20 AM) *
i think it's hard to even compare the fights with the difference in styles between Mayweather and Pac. i do think that some aspects of the fight made me more confident that Mayweather will win though, Pac definitely isn't going to be landing on Mayweather like some people have suggested.

it's what it's though, the fight was shitty and both fighters made a lot of money for a lesser fight than fighting each other. neither seem to care since they got paid too.

Agreed. If Mosley would have had control of his nerves and a set of balls that night, it would have been an interesting fight.
and the NEW
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 10 2011, 05:36 AM) *
Agreed. If Mosley would have had control of his nerves and a set of balls that night, it would have been an interesting fight.

Yep, agreed. I did sway more towards Mayweather V Pac after this outing. Mosley showed what simply being cagey and not standing infront of Pac can allow (as we already knew, but made it even more obvious).
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 9 2011, 10:22 PM) *

Don't think that has much relevance at all. Mosley was still well past his best by the time Mayweather got to him.

Mosley getting a victory of Margarito was called an upset for a reason & that success shouldn't roll over to Mayweather's win when he never had any intentions of ever fighting Margarito himself. It was a blessing in disguise for Mayweather that he replaced Berto because before that he never seemed willing to take the fight. Not until an older Mosley was at that stage of his career, over-trained, coming off a long lay-off did he take the fight more due to being cornered..he got lucky! As for Mosley-Mora...Sergio is a tricky fighter that would give any trouble and/or make them look bad, not to mention 154 has never been a great division for Shane.

I think both version's of Mosley were really shit & don't give much credit at all to either Floyd or Manny for beating him when they did! But exactly what happened with both fight Floyd and Manny's fights against De La Hoya..down the track they will end up getting more credit than they deserve because of discussions like this. Both were average to very below average wins because fans will always say one was better over other victory, when imo neither is anything great! Mosley was close to 40, dropping back down from 154 at his age who was more gun-shy than ever (memories of the Floyd fight?) and clearly didn't want it enough to what was required to win against Manny!

But to answer the question to the thread, I think Mayweather-Mosley was a much better win and performance against a better version (comparing). At least Mosley made an argument of being the closest to beating Mayweather, so Mayweather for once in a very long time had to show something. Mayweather fought his fight more than Manny did, hurt him more and despite not scoring a KD had Mosley in more trouble.

Both fights would have looked very different had they got Mosley in early 2000's and not early 2010's.

Snoop
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ May 10 2011, 11:55 AM) *
Don't think that has much relevance at all. Mosley was still well past his best by the time Mayweather got to him.

Mosley getting a victory of Margarito was called an upset for a reason & that success shouldn't roll over to Mayweather's win when he never had any intentions of ever fighting Margarito himself. It was a blessing in disguise for Mayweather that he replaced Berto because before that he never seemed willing to take the fight. Not until an older Mosley was at that stage of his career, over-trained, coming off a long lay-off did he take the fight more due to being cornered..he got lucky! As for Mosley-Mora...Sergio is a tricky fighter that would give any trouble and/or make them look bad, not to mention 154 has never been a great division for Shane.

I think both version's of Mosley were really shit & don't give much credit at all to either Floyd or Manny for beating him when they did! But exactly what happened with both fight Floyd and Manny's fights against De La Hoya..down the track they will end up getting more credit than they deserve because of discussions like this. Both were average to very below average wins because fans will always say one was better over other victory, when imo neither is anything great! Mosley was close to 40, dropping back down from 154 at his age who was more gun-shy than ever (memories of the Floyd fight?) and clearly didn't want it enough to what was required to win against Manny!

But to answer the question to the thread, I think Mayweather-Mosley was a much better win and performance against a better version (comparing). At least Mosley made an argument of being the closest to beating Mayweather, so Mayweather for once in a very long time had to show something. Mayweather fought his fight more than Manny did, hurt him more and despite not scoring a KD had Mosley in more trouble.

Both fights would have looked very different had they got Mosley in early 2000's and not early 2010's.

I'm not trying to say that either Mosley compared to a 2000 version of Mosley, but if you had to compare between a Mosley coming off a win against Margarito and a Mosley coming off a draw against Mora, at least from a self-confidence stand point, well...

dntknw.gif

Granted, it's like splitting hairs, but I would argue one version was more impressive than the other, even if it was slight.

neophyte7
Shane saying he was hit harder than ever and ME PICTURING VERNON FORREST ABOVE and Forrest taking Shane's head off in their first bout tells me either MOSLEY WAS kissing ass or Pac is on steroids if Shane feels he hits harder than Forrest at welter. Then again speed is power and Mosley looked to be blinded by the light in that he was cold cocked and did not and could not see the shot coming...
JD
I think both Mosley's were equivalent.

Floyd's version was on the shelf for 16 months. Pac's version was a year older but far more active.

Both Mosley's were given too much of a chance by a handful of people people for reasons unbeknownst to me.

But to say Floyd or Pac fought a better version is silly...Floyd's version was totally inactive and Pac's version was a year closer to 40.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.