Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marquez accepts terms for Pacquiao Matchup
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mexi-cutioner
Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said Tuesday that Juan Manuel Marquez has accepted a revised offer to fight Pacquiao in November. The hitch is that Marquez's promoter, Golden Boy, has the opoortunity to match the deal, and its chief executive says he plans to.

Golden Boy Chairman Richard Schaefer told The Times on Tuesday that it's his understanding Marquez has agreed to a Pacquiao fight at a lowered welterweight catch weight of 144 pounds, with $5 million guaranteed in what would be a third meeting between the fighters.

Pacquiao and Marquez battled to a 2004 draw, and Pacquiao won a split-decision in 2008.

Yet, through this year, Golden Boy has the contractual ability to match any financial deal Marquez, the world lightweight champion, is offered, and Schaefer said he has an open date Sept. 17 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas reserved for a bout against new world welterweight champion Victor Ortiz of Oxnard.

Ortiz has previously fought at 140 pounds, so he could fight at 144, too, Schaefer said.

Regarding the finances, Schaefer said he was confident Golden Boy could secure a $5-million payday for Marquez, saying, "I'm sure HBO would be on board," with paying as much in its licensing fee.

Schaefer said there's a possibility newly crowned world super-welterweight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez could stage a title defense on the Sept. 17 card.

LA Times: Marquez accepts terms to Pacquiao fight
Marquez: I've accepted the Pacquiao offer, 144 pounds

I read an earlier article saying Bradley didn't think he would get the Pacquiao fight and it's looking like it'll be Pac dancing with Marquez for a third time this fall. What do you guys think of the match and how it'll play out? Personally, i'm not a big fan of a Pac-Marquez fight anywhere north of 140+, especially at Marquez' age. Last time we saw Marquez at that weight was vs. Floyd and he looked slow and fat. Hopefully Arum promises him the David Diaz tune up in June so he can adjust to the higher weight class a little better...
neophyte7
how can people be ok with this guy fighting marquez and castrating PBF for doing so... LMAO Pac is sickening. I mean Floyd was off two years and took him as a tune up.. and that is what he was. Since then JMM has been in wars that will make him further from his best when Pac faces him... JMM has had two wars with Diaz and Kastidis.. another case of easy pickings and people will again say Pac is adding to his legacy of greatness... bullshit
Col Reb
Pac is screwed either way: if he fights Marquez people will say it was easy-pickings, if he doesn't fight Marquez, people will say the two previous fights were too close to cal which one was superior. I say Pac should just ice Marquez and end the debate. Pac still has a few more fights anyway before he retires.
The Original MrFactor
Quick KO. Pacquiao is either on the juice or he's genuinely gotten a whole lot better. To Marquez credit, he's still a very good fighter. The talk of PEDs will widen after Pac destroys this guy because of the fact that he went life and death with Marquez before. Marquez will probably say that Pac isnt the same guy and something is up...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 10 2011, 06:47 PM) *
how can people be ok with this guy fighting marquez and castrating PBF for doing so... LMAO Pac is sickening. I mean Floyd was off two years and took him as a tune up.. and that is what he was. Since then JMM has been in wars that will make him further from his best when Pac faces him... JMM has had two wars with Diaz and Kastidis.. another case of easy pickings and people will again say Pac is adding to his legacy of greatness... bullshit

Who do you suggest he fight?? Marquez has been chasing him around for 3 years bitching and moaning about a trilogy. Who cares about Floyd Mayweather atthis time. He isnt fighting. Floyd didnt get a pass because he didnt make weight and was already a much bigger guy. Pac and Marquez have much more history than Mayweather/Marquez. Thats why people wont say shit about Pac fighting Marquez. Pac's fought everyone else... DLH, Hatton, Mosley, Clottey, Margarito and Cotto... Hey, how bout Floyd go in against Margarito now. Margarito's been beaten up by Mosley, Pacquiao and to a degree by Cotto. It would be a great tuneup...
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 10 2011, 03:47 PM) *

lol get off Floyd's nuts u can't justify the Pac vs JMM mathcup by comparing it to Floyd when he fought JMM. Floyd fought him as a tuneup at welterweight, 2-3 weightclasses above what Marquez was used to and we all saw how Marquez looked there. And even if they fought at a lower weight, styles make fights and JMM style was tailor made for Floyd. At a catchweight of 144 and judging by the last time we saw Marquez north fo 140, it's the main aspect of this fight I don't like, But Pac went life and death with Marquez at Marquez' prime weightclasses twice and many people have Marquez winning, this third fight was pretty much inevitable after their 2nd fight. You're defending a guy that avoided a Margarito mathcup in 2006 to fight Carlos Baldomir, a guy who avoided the top welters in their prime (ie: Cotto, Williams, Cintron etc.) and you're going to say Pac only goes for the "easy pickings"? C'mon man, Floyd is just as bad if not worse when it comes to 'easy pickings'..
Byrd Man
My issue with this is three fold.

1. He's fighting a guy much smaller than he is, at least weight division wise. As someone else pointed out, if Floyd get slammed for fighting him and making him come up in weight so much, then Pac better get that EXACT SAME criticism. This should not be an acceptable fight, simply based on their past two fights.

2. Floyd has criticized Manny for continuing to fight his "left overs", and once again Manny is doing that very thing. In his past six fights (DLH, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, Margarito, Mosley) and now Marquez, four of those seven have been against people that Floyd had JUST beaten. And the remaining ones, two of those three (Cotto and Margarito) had been destroyed in recent fights. How is this acceptable for people to put Pac as #1 P4P fighter, when you view these? I realize the whole thing with him coming up in weight and all that, but still. People act like these fighters had never been touched before Manny tore into them.

3. ENOUGH with these got damn catch weights! Either man up and fight at a specific weight division, including the ENTIRE weight limits, or stay down at a lower weight class or stay up in the higher one. If you weigh two divisions above someone, enough with making them come up so much and you have to barely make any sacrifices to make weight.

ENOUGH! This is a major reason that boxing is so fucked right now. The divisions have ZERO meaning anymore, because of these catchweights. That Cotto shit made me sick, and now THIS? Fuck Manny and Roach!
HaydelHammer
the catch weight king has spoken. lol
kidbazooka1
Manny will win but i bet it wil be a far better and more competitve fight than Pacqiuao/Mosley.

marquez even at 144lb thought im sure he'll come in a bit lighter just to keep his speed has proven that he knows Mannys style can make it interstin.
BoxingStill#1
This is sad.....

Doesn't Pac weigh in at 144lbs anyway for the welterweight limit of 147lbs?

How is this in anyway beneficial to Marquez by him setting a weight limit for himself he already makes?
Snoop
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 11 2011, 01:52 AM) *
This is sad.....

How is this in anyway beneficial to Marquez by him setting a weight limit for himself he already makes?

It doesn't. I just makes it look like he's not always on the receiving end of catchweight benefits.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 10 2011, 10:38 PM) *
It doesn't. I just makes it look like he's not always on the receiving end of catchweight benefits.

laugh.gif

Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 11 2011, 03:52 AM) *
laugh.gif

Dammit Spyder. I told you to stop following me around.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 10 2011, 11:41 PM) *
Dammit Spyder. I told you to stop following me around.

You do realize how ridiculous your argument looks now, don't you? lol
Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 11 2011, 04:46 AM) *
You do realize how ridiculous your argument looks now, don't you? lol

No. How does this change anything about him forcing bigger fighters to come down from their natural weight class? He's agreeing to a weigh roughly around the same weight he's been fighting at for his last four fights. And before that, he was weighing in less.

laugh.gif

Great advantage for Marquez.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 10 2011, 08:52 PM) *
This is sad.....

Well I guess Manny could make it at 147 which is where he currently fights. I guess by making it at 144 he's guaranteeing Marquez not to come in over that (which he has done a couple of times in the past.)

No big deal, for all intensive purposes they've agreed to fight at 147 as we both know neither guy has any intention of coming in at that weight. Supply and demand, Manny along with Floyd is the PPV King and there was no way he was ever coming down to 140 to make the fight.

Marquez has been dogging him and dogging him for years for another shot and I think he deserves one due to their past history. Thing is in the meantime Manny has quite comfortably moved up to the 147 pound division. It's not like he just made up this weight for kicks he has been legitimately fighting here for a coupla years. So they've basically said to Marquez yeah you can come and fight but you have to be prepared to come up to the division that we now campaign at (which effectively is what 144 is) and Marquez to his credit, and because he genuinely believes he can beat Manny has said "sure thing."

I think it will be a decent fight for precisely this reason. JMM is the boogeyman inside Manny's head. They both come to fight and there sure as hell won't be any fucken glove touching. I think it wil be a cracker.
Snoop
If an advantage is to be had for this catchweight, it would be slightly in favor of Marquez, but nothing like the catchweight advantages Pac had against Margarito or Cotto. That's all I'm saying.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 11 2011, 12:57 AM) *
If an advantage is to be had for this catchweight, it would be slightly in favor of Marquez, but nothing like the catchweight advantages Pac had against Margarito or Cotto. That's all I'm saying.

i think the only real advantage for Marquez is fighting someone at 144elterweight that is comparable in size.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 11 2011, 10:11 AM) *
3. ENOUGH with these got damn catch weights! Either man up and fight at a specific weight division, including the ENTIRE weight limits, or stay down at a lower weight class or stay up in the higher one. If you weigh two divisions above someone, enough with making them come up so much and you have to barely make any sacrifices to make weight.

So you would prefer this fight at 147 then?
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 11 2011, 07:03 AM) *
So you would prefer this fight at 147 then?

Honestly, I don't think it would make a difference if it was at 147. Pac would probably weigh in between 144-145 anyway. The whole catchweight this time around is pretty moot.
AussieLad
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 11 2011, 12:52 AM) *
This is sad.....

Agreed the catchweight is stupid. Unless it is for Marquez's benefit in limiting how big pac is, not the other way around. Which makes more sense considering pac has been campaigning for longer at these higher weights than marquez.

As for the match up itself... clearly this is pac still chasing the mayweather fight by trying to beat fighters more convincingly than mayweather did. The difference here being that marquez and pac already have a history, but this will just show that pac has moved on since their last meeting and beats marquez more convincingly now than floyd did

I expect to see marquez hit the canvas alot in this fight

I would prefer pac fight bradley. This fight is redundant

TheFonz
WTF kind of catchweight is that? Manny weighed in a t 145 against Mosley.
neophyte7
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 10 2011, 08:11 PM) *
My issue with this is three fold.

1. He's fighting a guy much smaller than he is, at least weight division wise. As someone else pointed out, if Floyd get slammed for fighting him and making him come up in weight so much, then Pac better get that EXACT SAME criticism. This should not be an acceptable fight, simply based on their past two fights.

2. Floyd has criticized Manny for continuing to fight his "left overs", and once again Manny is doing that very thing. In his past six fights (DLH, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, Margarito, Mosley) and now Marquez, four of those seven have been against people that Floyd had JUST beaten. And the remaining ones, two of those three (Cotto and Margarito) had been destroyed in recent fights. How is this acceptable for people to put Pac as #1 P4P fighter, when you view these? I realize the whole thing with him coming up in weight and all that, but still. People act like these fighters had never been touched before Manny tore into them.

ENOUGH! This is a major reason that boxing is so fucked right now. The divisions have ZERO meaning anymore, because of these catchweights. That Cotto shit made me sick, and now THIS? Fuck Manny and Roach!

Great points... He AND BOB ARUM ARE ON THE LEFTOVER TOUR... raking in the dough. Honestly, Mosley's overall skill, experience and limited legs and movement amounted to Pac looking subpar. Arum saw it and is probably going to let Pac fight Marquez and call it quits... I mean, Pac said he is satisfied with what he has accomplished in boxing LMAO --- he has been satisfied fighting Mayweather leftovers. I wonder if MARQUEZ UPSET PAC would people be ok with Floyd and Marquez rematching???
salvador
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 10 2011, 06:37 PM) *
Quick KO. Pacquiao is either on the juice or he's genuinely gotten a whole lot better. To Marquez credit, he's still a very good fighter. The talk of PEDs will widen after Pac destroys this guy because of the fact that he went life and death with Marquez before. Marquez will probably say that Pac isnt the same guy and something is up...

yep. you almost would think that pac would go out of his way to carry marquez for 7-8 rounds just for that reason. no way jmm can hurt pac at this point.
The CEO
This fight should have happened 3 years ago...

Now it's nothing but the latest chapter of an ongoing bullshit story...

thumbsdown_anim.gif
mexi-cutioner
Even though I hate all of u with a passion and you're all witches, I have to agree.

While I do feel Marquez deserves a rematch and this fight was inevitable from the get go, there's really no need for this fight to occur north of 140. We've seen Marquez above 140 and he looked far from his best, now he's in the later years of his career..If this fight was to occur I was hoping it'd occur at 140, closer to Marquez' current weightclass and even Ariza has gone out and said that Pacquiao's can and should be fighting Marquez at 140: [Ariza: Pacquiao can easily fight Marquez at 140]. The 144 pound catchweight doesn't really do anything lol...Pacquiao weighed in for Margarito at 144.6 and 145 for the Mosley fight so it technically he can do eveyrthing he did for the Margarito and Mosley fight without having to sacrifice in training and still come in at the limit.

At the same time I'm trying to be optimistic hoping that the tentative tune up between JMM vs. David Diaz will be north of lightweight and will allow JMM to get used to fighting at a higher weight b4 facing Pacquiao...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 11 2011, 09:04 AM) *
He AND BOB ARUM ARE ON THE LEFTOVER TOUR.

Pac said he is satisfied with what he has accomplished in boxing LMAO --- he has been satisfied fighting Mayweather leftovers.

Floyd's on the Lady Gaga tour, playing battle of the network stars.

Cotto, Clottey and Margarito damn sure weren't the little faggot's leftovers.
caneman
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ May 11 2011, 02:13 PM) *
Floyd's on the Lady Gaga tour, playing battle of the network stars.

Cotto, Clottey and Margarito damn sure weren't the little faggot's leftovers.

Ain't no tell them shit bro, but this ain't even a fight anymore in my eyes & 144 is a joke but I guess he gets his shot! There is only one fight I wanna see & I guess it has to has PBF's way or no way! So Pacman take the test so the retired one can come out of retirement again & may see the biggest fight in history! Why do I feel it's a waste of time to even want or expect this?
neophyte7

It turns out with Shane and Pac's disgusting bout, watching Lady Gaga perform was probably more of a bonafide performance than what Pac was able to muster against Shane. I would have been better off watching that
AussieLad
Why was Floyd vs Marquez fought at a catchweight? Was it for Floyds benefit? No, it was for Marquez's benefit. Why are people assuming that pacs camp initiated the catchweight and not Marquez? Presumably Marquez's camp wanted the catchweight vs FLoyd, because the catchweight certainly didnt benefit Floyd... hence him not honouring it and coming in heavy.

The only benefit i can see for Floyd to offer a catchweight vs Marquez is to use it as a bargaining chip to get Marquez to sign on the dotted line. So i will give Floyd the benefit of the doubt and assume Marquez's camp wanted the catchweight. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

To this point, pacs catchweights have all been about limiting the size advantage of his larger opponents. In this instance, this is not the case as Marquez is coming up. The catchweight doesnt make sense from pacs perspective, but it sure makes sense from Marquez's
mexi-cutioner
Bob Arum gives Golden Boy a Monday deadline to respond to Marquez offer

$5million dollar guaranteed purse and if Marquez wins and a rematch takes place he will get a $10 million dollar guarantee...I don't know what fights Golden Boy can put in front of JMM to persuade him away from those numbers..

Ladies and gentlemen, looks like we'll be seeing a Pac-Marquez trilogy in November.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 11 2011, 02:32 PM) *
It turns out with Shane and Pac's disgusting bout, watching Lady Gaga perform was probably more of a bonafide performance than what Pac was able to muster against Shane. I would have been better off watching that

If you say so. I'd be better off jamming rusty screwdrivers in my eyeballs than watching Lady Gaga.

Point was, one of these guys at least is fighting while one of them isn't.

Kinda hard to criticize Pacquaio's recent choice of opposition when you're doing it in relation to Floyd's.
mexi-cutioner

True, Floyd can't say shit since he's not stepping into the ring. Sadly, until these 2 faceoff with each other no1 is going to be satisfied with whomever they face whether it be a Bradley, Ortiz, Alvarez etc. until they both step into the ring and fight. I for one am optimistic that this fight will go down b4 they retire, hopefully by then ppl will still care...
FinitoElDinamita
140 would have been fair for both sides but 144 is ok too. Marquez was willing to move up to 147 if that's what it takes for a trilogy..

School will be in session, again..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.