Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kirkland vs Mayorga?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=27994&more=1

By James Slater: Fans witnessed a massive upset back on April 9th, as the returning James Kirkland was stunned and stopped inside a round by little-known Japanese fighter Nobu Ishida on the Maidana-Morales under-card in Las Vegas. Seen by many as a future champion, the thrill-a-minute southpaw had won two fights since being released from prison and Ishida looked to practically everyone like comeback victim number-two. Well, we know what happened.

Many fans wrote Kirkland off after the three knockdowns he suffered against the relative non-puncher; claiming Kirkland’s punch resistance had deserted him. Fans also pointed to “The Mandingo Warrior’s” break-up with former trainer Ann Wolf as a big factor in his loss. Now, according to top writer Steve Kim, Kirkland, 27-1(24) has recently reunited with his former trainer, and he is looking ahead to his next fight.

Reportedly, in the works and close to being made (for the under-card of the to be rescheduled Joseph Agbeko-Abner Mares clash on Showtime) is a fight between Kirkland and Nicaraguan wild-man Ricardo Mayorga. Kirkland’s attorney, Mike Miller, is the source Kim has got this news from.

An interesting fight, a clash with Mayorga could prove a tough assignment for the Texan. Certainly, Kirkland had better tighten up his defences when he gets in there with the former champion. This is where Wolf will come in. The talented trainer, who perhaps knows Kirkland better than anyone, cannot do anything about her fighter’s chin, but she can teach him not to be so reckless and in a mad rush to score the KO.

Mayorga, a decade older than Kirkland at age 37, announced his retirement shortly after his stoppage loss to Miguel Cotto, but he changed his mind almost immediately and he will more than likely be up for the Kirkland fight in a big way. It sure is easy to anticipate “El Matador” coming out with his trademark trash-talk ahead of this one!

Mayorga, 29-8-1(23) may be way past his best, but against a vulnerable Kirkland who may be lacking some self confidence due to what happened to him on April 9th, the Nicaraguan can in no way be written off. Kirkland, on the other hand WILL be written off by many more fans if he loses for a second time; especially if he is stopped again. A risky return fight to be sure, Kirkland deserves credit for even looking at taking this fight so soon after his hammering at the hands of Ishida.

It’s good news that Wolf has got back with Kirkland, and if anyone can get the exiting warrior back on his feet it is her.

Wonder how Kirklands chin would hold up.
salvador
Awesome. Two big punchers who come to fight. A perfect example of how guys past their primes (maybe the understatement of the month) can still be in exciting fights.

If Kirkland is patient and boxes he has a strong chance.
Romulus9
Mayorga. KO. Harsh.
HaydelHammer
I got mayorga by brutal cave man type clubbing
mexi-cutioner
This is a VERY INTERESTING crossroads fight...

one guy is getting knocked the fuck out and will no longer be relevant in boxing, while one fighter will live to fight literally another day or two...b4 getting knocked out lolol
PR316
I see Mayorga KOing him in all honesty.

Probably early to mid rounds.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
If this is true it would be about the dumbest move that Kirkland could make.
King Eugene
Anne Wolfe will tighten Kirkland up and he'll stop Mayorga.
caneman
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 13 2011, 10:20 PM) *
If this is true it would be about the dumbest move that Kirkland could make.

There's a lot of truth to that...even being older and KOed in some wars, he is just to good at making one fight his fight and after his last fight this is a crazy move. I think he'll get stopped but it would be a "big" name on his resume but high risk...I mean he was just stopped by a guy that he was supposed to stop in the 1st round! IDK, just sayin...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 13 2011, 10:31 PM) *
Anne Wolfe will tighten Kirkland up and he'll stop Mayorga.

Doesn't matter. Kirkland was getting hit and hurt when he was with Ann Wolfe too. If Rico lands just ONE of shots he caught Cotto with Kirkland goes to sleep. Fact.
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 13 2011, 11:46 PM) *
I don't have twitter or never read it, but read some of Mayorga's, he is classic.

http://twitter.com/#!/THEREALMAYORGA
  • After Kirkland, i desire a fight with canelo or pavlik- I,ll show him how real men drink beer after i knock him out in 2 rounds
  • Kirkland in July. In my world man wears pants. in Kirkland's camp that woman wolf wearns pants instead of panties. hes a maricon
  • Shane Mosley did not deserve payday against Pacquiao. If hes got any shame, he should return that money and that latina.
  • @loudibella - we will fight Berto at 150-do you have the balls to put him in with me? after I ko him I will ignite my match off ur bald head
  • in case you didnt know I slapped 2 members of mosleys team- the big black bodyguard and the el capitain maricon after the fight. ask shane.
  • @danrafaelespn are you that fat mexican writer from espn who doesn't know shit about boxing?? you look like Paquita La Del Barrio.

I had to google "Paquita La Del Barrio" laugh.gif

• @danrafaelespn que pasa paquita la del barrio-no insultes a los Mexicanos: Rafael no es Mexicano, aunque si esta pinche gordo ese buey
  • @danrafaelespn Dear Pacquita, fans are telling to me you are a fat disgrace to all mexicanos
  • We also offered to fight that spinless frog Kermit Cintron. He doesnt want it. we offered to put the ring in a swimming pool so he can jump
  • Floyd is from family of cowards. I wanted to slap his father but he ran away. He needs to stop kissing that gay rapper and fight me
  • Floyd wants to fight paralyzed guys like @SugarShaneM not a real warrior like me or Manny. I will KO him, his father and uncle

laugh.gif

He got more lines of shit than Walmart and Kmart put together! lolz!
caneman
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 13 2011, 11:46 PM) *
Doesn't matter. Kirkland was getting hit and hurt when he was with Ann Wolfe too. If Rico lands just ONE of shots he caught Cotto with Kirkland goes to sleep. Fact.

I kinda agree but I think Mayo will have to fight a good fight and not be careless...for the chin we thought he had @ 1 point, it sure has been cracked over the years and he will have to fight a well balanced and complete fight! KOes can go both ways and both these fighters need to be ready but I still got Mayo by KO!
gravytrain
i think Kirkland needs more time before Mayorga. the build up would be entertaining though.

now i want to see Rafael talk shit with Mayorga
Snoop
It doesn't matter how many times Mayorga gets KO'd or embarrassed in the ring, with those lines, you never want him to go away laugh.gif
gravytrain

Ricardo Mayorga
@THEREALMAYORGA Managua, Nicaragua
FORMER 2 DIVISION CHAMPION AND PRIDE OF NICARAGUA. JAMES KIRKLAND AND CANELO'S DADDY

THEREALMAYORGA Ricardo Mayorga
i wanted nick diaz but hes fighting jeff lacy. my great grandmother in a wheelchair give him a better fight. hes a puto.

@
@silkyjohnson_ @ssab12 @jcchavezjr1 gracias.chavez and canelo no es guerrero mexicanos. chavez = el maricon mexicano. canelo= no es mexicano

@sugarshaneM you were on steroids when you fought me and @OscarDeLaHoya - return the pacquiao money and that latina @bella1mafia she need me

@bella1mafia you need a real man like me. @SugarShaneM probably uses a different type of steroid to hang with you.

@SugarShaneM @floydmayweather have no balls.Floyd needs to stop kissing that gay rapper @50cent and fight me or pacquiao.

Kirkland is telling his company he does not want to fight me. Looks lke they cut his balls in prison. dont worry kirkland I KO u in 1 round

@danrafaelespn Dear Pacquita, fans are telling to me you are a fat disgrace to all mexicanos
10 hours ago

@
@philipleone yes, after he gets a testicle implant.

We also offered to fight that spinless frog Kermit Cintron. He doesnt want it. we offered to put the ring in a swimming pool so he can jump

@
@Bad_300 Floyd is from family of cowards. I wanted to slap his father but he ran away. He needs to stop kissing that gay rapper and fight me
8 hours ago

@
@Bad_300 Floyd wants to fight paralyzed guys like @SugarShaneM not a real warrior like me or Manny. I will KO him, his father and uncle
8 hours ago
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 13 2011, 06:55 PM) *
This is a VERY INTERESTING crossroads fight...

one guy is getting knocked the fuck out and will no longer be relevant in boxing, while one fighter will live to fight literally another day or two...b4 getting knocked out lolol

Lmao... classic

Kirkland by mid KO......

Pending how he trains with Wolf....
PR316
Some of you act as if Anne Wolfe will make a big difference with Kirkland. She WONT.

Kirkland has never had tight defense, and has been shaken/hurt on other occasions against lesser punchers than Mayorga.
Spyder
I'm not ready to write off Kirkland yet, but I will if Mayorga gives it to him.

James needs to get back to hitting tires with a sledge hammer.
caneman
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 15 2011, 02:39 PM) *
I'm not ready to write off Kirkland yet, but I will if Mayorga gives it to him.

James needs to get back to hitting tires with a sledge hammer.

That don't do much for your chin though or help your defense, just sayin!
BigG
I love Kirkland but I think Mayorgas gonna knock him out.
Spyder
QUOTE (caneman @ May 15 2011, 03:51 PM) *
That don't do much for your chin though or help your defense, just sayin!

=BADASS
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
This is great because it is one of the few tims that Mayorga will be able to back up his badass threats. Plus it will help prolong his career, which if you're like me and love his 'Mayorga-talk' is no bad thing.

If only Twitter had been around 10 years ago when he was in his prime..........
caneman
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 15 2011, 05:59 PM) *

=BADASS

I have used a sledge every day for almost 3 years of my life and it wasn't a 16 like in your pic...it was a 20! It does make you strong, the way I used it worked hand/eye, however,it ain't gonna help your chin though meng!
Spyder
QUOTE (caneman @ May 15 2011, 07:38 PM) *
I have used a sledge every day for almost 3 years of my life and it wasn't a 16 like in your pic...it was a 20! It ain't gonna help your chin though meng!

Then I guarantee someone could drive a Ford F-350 Super Duty into your chin and you would take it like a champ.

If Rocky IV taught me anything, it taught me that Chopping + Rocks - Modern Comforts = Winning!
caneman
I do have a chin, always have though...father time is on my ass though! lol! I don't see the two as connected though other than a few neck, and upper back muscles! I just think other then technical things a bit, it's like power, you have it or you don't!
FinitoElDinamita
If Kirkland can get back into form under Wolfe he could be better off but alot of fighters have lost it after serving time int he prison and he might be one of those guys.

Whatever he is, I still think mayorga is too tough for him. Mayorga knocks him out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.