Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO Cancels Williams-Ishida
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=6564489

There was a lot of mixed feelings about this fight. HBO at first approved it. but about a day or so ago, they canceled it. While it may not have been the greatest HBO match, I believe it was a 50-50 fight. Williams destroyed by KO against Sergio Martinez in his last fight vs. Ishida, who wanted to prove that the KO over Kirkland was no fluke.

Not happy with this. If HBO can approve Alverez-Hatton and Chavez Jr-Zibik as World Championship fights, they should have shown this fight. I think I blame Paul Williams who might be looking for softer touches, and maybe Paul feels it would be an embarrassment if he were to lose to Kirkland. This would not have been the mismatch that some believe IMO. However, the reviews are mixed. Who do you think is the result of the cancellation and why?

Jack
Method
I think it's too early in the AM to be asking this question!
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Method @ May 19 2011, 05:00 AM) *
I think it's too early in the AM to be asking this question!

LOL!!!! It's when I think best!

Jack
JD
Good.
Big Slim Sweet
I think it sucks.

Williams-Ishida wasn't a very compelling match-up, and perhaps HBO never should have approved it (as a main event) in the first place, but to announce it and then cancel it a couple of days later like that is garbage IMO, and needlessly embarrasses Paul Williams.

And yeah, certainly no worse a match than Chavez-Zbik or Alvarez-Hatton, not that those fights should serve as any sort of justification for this one being aired. But at the least it once again exposes the bias going on at HBO in favor of Mexican fighters with powerhouse promoters.
SmartyBeardo
PWill just needs to get back in there (hopefully with a retooled D) or go sell used cars or somethin'.
JD
He needs to take a couple soft touches on ESPN...not worry about putting on a show, get comfortable at a weight, and get right.
thehype
I think something has changed at HBO....or should I say someone?

Hmmmmmmm....
JD
Bye Ross...Hi Ross.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JD @ May 19 2011, 10:11 AM) *
Bye Ross...Hi Ross.

LOL! laugh.gif

Jack
Snoop
Black fighters are being replaced.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 19 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Black fighters are being replaced.

laugh.gif
FinitoElDinamita
This is great because Isshida was a piss poor opponent anyways. He got fortunate against Kirkland, great, but lightning wont strike twice as Williams puts a severe beating on him. Williams should have took the Carlos Molina offer.. That would have been a decent fight for him.
FinitoElDinamita
Just in.. Paul williams will be fighting Erislandy Lara on July 9.... Woo hooo!! Both guys deserve alot of respect for taking this fight.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
He's fighting Lara? That's a step up from Ishida, and a tough opponenet in your first fight back. He may not have the most power, but he does have good speed and skills. Williams might have a hard time if he's not mentally ready to get back in the ring.

I actually have an issue with HBO pulling the plug on Ishida. HBO has approved much shittier fights than this, but won't give the guy who destroyed Kirkland a shot. If Kirkland would have beaten Ishida, he would have been approved in a heart beat. Ishida has fought a close hard-fought title fight and knocked out Kirkland in one. He was worthy of Paul Williams' comeback fight, but just didn't have the prettiest record.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 19 2011, 06:24 PM) *
He's fighting Lara? That's a step up from Ishida, and a tough opponenet in your first fight back. He may not have the most power, but he does have good speed and skills. Williams might have a hard time if he's not mentally ready to get back in the ring.

I actually have an issue with HBO pulling the plug on Ishida. HBO has approved much shittier fights than this, but won't give the guy who destroyed Kirkland a shot. If Kirkland would have beaten Ishida, he would have been approved in a heart beat. Ishida has fought a close hard-fought title fight and knocked out Kirkland in one. He was worthy of Paul Williams' comeback fight, but just didn't have the prettiest record.

The fight is on and I'm surprised both guys took this fight. I expected Williams to take a softer touch but I guess HBO isn't having none of that. Lara was looking pretty good until he ran into Molina.. Could have been a bad night just as it happens to many other young fighters so im looking forward to this one. Alot of questions will be answered on both men..
King Eugene
Damn now this is something to look forward to. Its still undercard material though. ESPN Friday Night Fights main event would be great though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.