Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Fighters Being Replaced
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Harvey
Does It seem in most if not all weight classes black fighters are being knocked off, not knocking any other race if your a good fighter you deserve to be on top no matter what, but for a sport that was dominated by blacks for so many years it has done a 360o degree flip in the last years or has it have something to do with the top boxing promoters pushing it this way, one thing I do know it seems more lucrative for promoters to have fighters of another race on top because their whole country stands behind them and ticket sales shoots through the roof.BUT THIS IS MY OBSERVATION( WHAT DO YOU THINK )
JD
Definitely. I cannot recall the last time I saw one on HBO, Showtime or ESPN...and don't even get me started on Telefutura!
The CEO
QUOTE (JD @ May 19 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Definitely. I cannot recall the last time I saw one on HBO, Showtime or ESPN...and don't even get me started on Telefutura!

laugh.gif

What are you up to, Harvey...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Harvey @ May 19 2011, 06:33 AM) *
Does It seem in most if not all weight classes black fighters are being knocked off, not knocking any other race if your a good fighter you deserve to be on top no matter what, but for a sport that was dominated by blacks for so many years it has done a 360o degree flip in the last years or has it have something to do with the top boxing promoters pushing it this way, one thing I do know it seems more lucrative for promoters to have fighters of another race on top because their whole country stands behind them and ticket sales shoots through the roof.BUT THIS IS MY OBSERVATION( WHAT DO YOU THINK )

Books could be (and probably have been) written on this subject.

The question could probably be narrowed down to - why do African Americans no longer dominate professional boxing?

The question's assumption that African Americans at one time dominated professional boxing might be challenged by some. Others would challenge the assumption that African Americans no longer dominate.

The point could be made that America no longer dominates professional boxing, therefore it follows that African Americans can no longer dominate pro boxing. It could also be pointed out that pro boxing is not a primary sport in America any longer, therefore the best African American athletes are no longer attracted to the art and science of boxing.

The argument could be made that African Americans' social and economic circumstances have evolved to where fewer boxers are produced. Some might argue that African Americans, as well as Americans in general, have become lazy and soft.

Certainly the argument could be made that international boxing has caught up with American boxing. The collapse of the Klingon Empire has had a considerable effect on the balance of boxing power over the last 20 years.

The increase in popularity of the lower weight classes coupled with the complete degradation of the once preeminent heavyweight division may be the most important factors involved. Everything else comes into focus through that prism.

Good question. Touchy subject.
Method
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 19 2011, 09:55 AM) *
laugh.gif

What are you up to, Harvey...

Setting traps.
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ May 19 2011, 10:21 AM) *
Setting traps.

That's the looming possibility.....keepin' an eye on it...
thehype
LOL.

With the exception of heavyweight, all the other divisions seem about the same to me.
neophyte7
The argument could be made that African Americans' social and economic circumstances have evolved to where fewer boxers are produced. Some might argue that African Americans, as well as Americans in general, have become lazy and soft. (BEARDO)

lmao... Beardo... I appreciate brutal honesty. I am black and I have to lean towards the above statement.. Now elaborating on the above would take some research etc... yet I find most black fighters in the sport to be full of shit, weak with a lack of hunger, honestly there are standouts, yet WHEN CHAD DAWSON TURNED IN THAT AWFUL INSPIRED PUSSY WHIPPER PERFORMANCE AGAINST PASCAL I ALMOST PUKED IT REALLY MADE ME CONTEMPLATE the state of the AFRICAN AMERICAN FIGHTER--- faggots like Mosley and the shit he pulled against Pac gives juice to the above mentioned. I really admire Mexican fighters.. they exemplify a hunger and determination that is very admirable and praiseworthy...
Romulus9
QUOTE (thehype @ May 19 2011, 11:01 AM) *
LOL.

With the exception of heavyweight, all the other divisions seem about the same to me.

Oh really? Well I have a few questions on that subject.

13 to be exact. I'll write an article about it.

laugh.gif
BGv2.0
I agree with Hype....other than HW...it seems the same to me.

IF...there is any difference the 180 degree!!!! lol change might be due to African American youth seeing more free coverage of other sports. It's not like it was in the 50-80's....boxing on free network tv.

Boxing the sport has isolated itself to the degree that many of today's lower income youth of all races, but in this case black lower income youth, do not get that exposure anymore, so they have no desire to move into that sport. They do however get PLENTY of free exposure to the NBA and NFL, which is where 90% of boxing's up and comers are going.

Boxing's greed has screwed itself out of future stars and raw talent....just another reason I no longer pay attention to the sport the way I once did...it's own self destructive behavior is SO pervasive it's really gut wrenching as a fan to have to witness. From EVERY gotdamn worthless fight being on PPV to clear cut judging robberies...it's f'n disgusting.

When LL retired I prayed the next Tyson was watching these Euro Bros dominate a weak division....and come and bring that fantastic element back that a kid from Brooklin once did.....it has yet to happen and I really don't see it taking place. Because that SAME kid that could have gotten the job done might very well now be in his Junior year at a college as a LB.

SUCKS!
Harvey
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 19 2011, 10:45 AM) *
That's the looming possibility.....keepin' an eye on it...

No not setting traps, just seems like black fighters are being sniped off, heavy weight class well david hayes may flip it around we still have alot of good black fighters outthere and coming up in the game but it seems like the hunger is'nt the same as it use to be I think thats why boxing has been hurting in america to a degree not enough exciting black fighters in the game not new fresh faces just comebackers who are past their time or trying to make a quick buck.
Harvey
QUOTE (JD @ May 19 2011, 09:47 AM) *

True to a degree expcept the mosley an pacquiao fight and to me for the hype it created and to gain more boxing fans it hurted boxing more than it did help not a good performance by pac man but mosley did'nt make it any better by running most the fight.
alaganza
I agree with Beardo on one point. Some of the other sports are far too attractive. Seems like getting punched in the face for money has lost its appeal. black eye.gif

Baseball, basketball, football, and even golf can land you a bunch of money a lot quicker with seemingly less hassle.
Harvey
Not outhere to set traps but it just seems that black fighters are being sniped out and its all about cash cows as they call it in boxing now these days to me with the top promoters and certain boxing camps all on different pages boxing is getting hurt by it, plus ther is nomore exciting black boxers to watch since roy jones jr who brought alot of veiwers to boxing with his showmanship style of fighting witch even people who's not into boxing loves so once there gone alot of money is gone out of boxing so now we make up boxers at time's to be more than they really are. I am personally a lover of boxing but for the average sometime watcher we are losing them by the bus load and the pacquiao and mosley fight did'nt make it any better.
Spyder
laugh.gif

Oh Harvey...
neophyte7
Different bullshit reality.. black youth would fight for a way up and out... now these mofos want to be Gucci Mane, Drake, and Lil Wayne.. please I have worked with young people who were supposedly ass kickers in the streets.. mention boxing to them and the first thing comes to their stupid heads is having to run and get in shape.. stupid lazy dumbed downed savages would rather play play station, smoke weed... there will always be standout black athletes... yet after the exit of Barry Bonds that leaves Hopkins, and PBF...I mean we may never see a Bonds, Hopkins, and even PBF in quite some time emerging from black america... Lebron... Kobe just about done.. the NBA will always have that trademark black dominance, yet in other sports the presence is dwindling
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (Harvey @ May 19 2011, 01:30 PM) *
No not setting traps, just seems like black fighters are being sniped off, heavy weight class well david hayes may flip it around we still have alot of good black fighters outthere and coming up in the game but it seems like the hunger is'nt the same as it use to be I think thats why boxing has been hurting in america to a degree not enough exciting black fighters in the game not new fresh faces just comebackers who are past their time or trying to make a quick buck.

I don't know if thats the reason boxing is hurting in america. I can guarantee that if there was a good white american champ(especially heavyweight), there would be a buzz here and the guy would make a killing here in the states.
gravytrain
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 19 2011, 10:51 PM) *
I don't know if thats the reason boxing is hurting in america. I can guarantee that if there was a good white american champ(especially heavyweight), there would be a buzz here and the guy would make a killing here in the states.

lol that's some serious conspiracy theory shit. if there was any good heavyweight champion they would be making a killing in the US, if the Klits were more entertaining they would make a killing in America.
King Eugene
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 19 2011, 11:44 PM) *
lol that's some serious conspiracy theory shit. if there was any good heavyweight champion they would be making a killing in the US, if the Klits were more entertaining they would make a killing in America.

Exactly!

Hell if we had a top american heavyweight contender that actually looked like a boxer instead of a toughman competitor he'd be making a killing.

Damn you Deontay Wilder!
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 19 2011, 10:44 PM) *

lol I always seen it like this....america loves its black athletes but they are always going to be looking for the next great white hope. If a black guy dominates a predominantly white sport they gain mass positive media attention but they're put on a shorter leash, meaning once they make a mistake the positive becomes negative over-night. Now when a white guy (ex. Peyton Hillis on the madden 12 cover thumbsdown_anim.gif ) starts performing well in a predominantly black sport/position america goes gaga over them and they can do no wrong. therefore when they make mistakes (Ben Roethlisberger) excuses are made for them.
gravytrain
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 19 2011, 11:55 PM) *
Exactly!

Hell if we had a top american heavyweight contender that actually looked like a boxer instead of a toughman competitor he'd be making a killing.

Damn you Deontay Wilder!

honestly, King. what is anyone going to do against Wlad and Vitali? there's no real talent going to HW boxing since you've to be a legitimate big guy to compete in it and most athletic guys that size go to the NFL or NBA. even without them it looks weak. the only legitimate guy that can excite people is Arreola since he'll brawl and he can't hang with anyone that can box.

i think Wilder has potential but even if he does get to the elite level he could very well be another 12 round fighter with no personality. i think it'll probably be like 4-5 years before we get a respectable HW division.

QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 20 2011, 12:18 AM) *
lol I always seen it like this....america loves its black athletes but they are always going to be looking for the next great white hope. If a black guy dominates a predominantly white sport they gain mass positive media attention but they're put on a shorter leash, meaning once they make a mistake the positive becomes negative over-night. Now when a white guy (ex. Peyton Hillis on the madden 12 cover thumbsdown_anim.gif ) starts performing well in a predominantly black sport/position america goes gaga over them and they can do no wrong. therefore when they make mistakes (Ben Roethlisberger) excuses are made for them.

LOL Roethlisberger excuses? maybe Steelers fans. i think a lot of people black, white and everything else don't like him very much. people make excuses for black athletes too. what about black athletes getting special treatment? athletes and people that are rich and famous get special treatment period.

Hillis went up against Vick for the cover, how do you know that some people just don't like Vick on a personal level for the dog fighting?
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 20 2011, 12:31 AM) *
honestly, King. what is anyone going to do against Wlad and Vitali? there's no real talent going to HW boxing since you've to be a legitimate big guy to compete in it and most athletic guys that size go to the NFL or NBA. even without them it looks weak. the only legitimate guy that can excite people is Arreola since he'll brawl and he can't hang with anyone that can box.

i think Wilder has potential but even if he does get to the elite level he could very well be another 12 round fighter with no personality. i think it'll probably be like 4-5 years before we get a respectable HW division.

LOL Roethlisberger excuses? maybe Steelers fans. i think a lot of people black, white and everything else don't like him very much. people make excuses for black athletes too. what about black athletes getting special treatment? athletes and people that are rich and famous get special treatment period.

Hillis went up against Vick for the cover, how do you know that some people just don't like Vick on a personal level for the dog fighting?

lol Yeah and because he was already on the cover. All that post was me stating why I posted the first comment(my opinion). Back to the topic, black fighters use to bring charisma night in and out in boxing. All we see now are New fighters trying to taking old fighters personalities. The thing is you can tell they're out of character. I see them as being fake and they lose cool points in my book. lol
gravytrain
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 20 2011, 02:19 AM) *
lol Yeah and because he was already on the cover. All that post was me stating why I posted the first comment(my opinion). Back to the topic, black fighters use to bring charisma night in and out in boxing. All we see now are New fighters trying to taking old fighters personalities. The thing is you can tell they're out of character. I see them as being fake and they lose cool points in my book. lol

i agree about that, boxing is losing its luster. i'm more hyped for the Hopkins vs Pascal rematch than i've been for a fight in awhile. i respect BHop but a man in his late 40s and a 4 round fighter shouldn't be the fight that i'm waiting for. we can't even get the only legitimate megafight to happen and both fighters just sit back and laugh all the way to the bank.
KookedKrack
trolling.
scallum
First we must decide whom is considered black? There are black peoples from many countries that are not considered black even though thier ancestors come from the same Africa as American Blacks. Take a look at the top rankings from 140 thru heavy in u will c Blacks have good numbers there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.