Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jorge Linares to face Francisco Cordero... then a 135 titleshot after
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
FinitoElDinamita
Cordero is a typical, Colombian power puncher with just one loss on his record, against Jorge Solis.. Linares should have no problems with this dude and he's gunning for Humberto Soto next..

What are your thoughts on Linares and does he beat Soto?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ May 19 2011, 05:14 PM) *
Cordero is a typical, Colombian power puncher with just one loss on his record, against Jorge Solis.. Linares should have no problems with this dude and he's gunning for Humberto Soto next..

What are your thoughts on Linares and does he beat Soto?

I wish I was going to be in Mazatlan for this one. It could go either way. Linares wil probably get a decision if he doesn't get Twitched.

Soto is beatable but I still think he has enough left for linares at this point.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 20 2011, 03:22 AM) *
I wish I was going to be in Mazatlan for this one. It could go either way. Linares wil probably get a decision if he doesn't get Twitched.

Soto is beatable but I still think he has enough left for linares at this point.

I know the hype has died down after the Salgado fight but I believe that was a fluke. Any young fighter, even the veterans, can get caught early.. I would give salgado more credit if he didnt lose to Uchiyama in his very next fight.. I think he's a one-hit wonder who caught Linares on a bad night.. Prior to the fight, Linares has signed a contract with Golden BOy and the word is he was on cloud 9 and didnt take salgado seriously which is understandable..

I used to be very high on Soto during his days at 126-130 but he's clearly not the same fighter as a lightweight. He can still box with the best of them but he hasn't carried the punching power up to 135.

Id pick Linares in a heartbeat..
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Man, I thought Linares was the next big thing. I still think he has the skills to dominate the division, but his stock has definitely dropped since the KO loss. All those fights in Japan and Mexico kept him under the radar, and I don't think many fans realize what Linares can bring. He fought an exciting fight against Oscar Larios a few years ago, but he hasn't done much since. He got on the PPV undercard against Juarez (should have been Litzau), and took care of business. I'd love to see Linares come down to 130 and fight Litzau, but realize that won't happen. He should win this title, and hopefully he can get some bigger fights down the road.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 20 2011, 10:58 AM) *
Man, I thought Linares was the next big thing. I still think he has the skills to dominate the division, but his stock has definitely dropped since the KO loss. All those fights in Japan and Mexico kept him under the radar, and I don't think many fans realize what Linares can bring. He fought an exciting fight against Oscar Larios a few years ago, but he hasn't done much since. He got on the PPV undercard against Juarez (should have been Litzau), and took care of business. I'd love to see Linares come down to 130 and fight Litzau, but realize that won't happen. He should win this title, and hopefully he can get some bigger fights down the road.

I agree.. Me, personally, I feel that skillwise, Linares is up there with Marquez and nonito Donaire but he just needs to be in the right matchups to show off the goods. I wish I could post a video of him sparring Argenis Mendez, it's amazing what he's capable of.. So much poise for a young fighter..

I too wanted to see a litzau fight but he's clearly leagues above litzau.. I want to see Luis Cruz and Marvin Quintero tested against him..
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ May 20 2011, 10:40 AM) *
I know the hype has died down after the Salgado fight but I believe that was a fluke. Any young fighter, even the veterans, can get caught early.. I would give salgado more credit if he didnt lose to Uchiyama in his very next fight.. I think he's a one-hit wonder who caught Linares on a bad night.. Prior to the fight, Linares has signed a contract with Golden BOy and the word is he was on cloud 9 and didnt take salgado seriously which is understandable..

I used to be very high on Soto during his days at 126-130 but he's clearly not the same fighter as a lightweight. He can still box with the best of them but he hasn't carried the punching power up to 135.

Id pick Linares in a heartbeat..

I don't understand why you rationalize that Salgado v Linares "was a fluke" based on Salgado's 12th round TKO loss to the undefeated Uchiyama. Linares needs to get back in there with Salgado or maybe take on Uchiyama to prove what you are saying.

It is not understandable for an undefeated fighter to take another undefeated fighter lightly. If Linares did take Salgado lightly, it reflects poorly on Jorge's professionalism. I doubt that was the case. I think he got caught cold.

Linares has shown me nothing that would convince me to take him over Soto at this juncture.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 20 2011, 01:27 PM) *
I don't understand why you rationalize that Salgado v Linares "was a fluke" based on Salgado's 12th round TKO loss to the undefeated Uchiyama. Linares needs to get back in there with Salgado or maybe take on Uchiyama to prove what you are saying.

It is not understandable for an undefeated fighter to take another undefeated fighter lightly. If Linares did take Salgado lightly, it reflects poorly on Jorge's professionalism. I doubt that was the case. I think he got caught cold.

Linares has shown me nothing that would convince me to take him over Soto at this juncture.

Immature, young fighters can take their foes lightly regarded of whether they're undefeated or not especially when they are used to being spoon fed with soft touches. It's happened to so many prospects but alot of them learn from it and become better which is the case with Linares. Many knockouts that occur in the first round can be seen as a fluke. If Linares got thoroughly beat for a few rounds, it'll be more convincing but he just got caught sleepin.. Would you wager on Salgado if the rematch happens? I sure wouldnt..

Soto is fighting above his best weight and there's a quite of bit of mileage on him now. He's there for the taking and Linares can certainly beat him.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Clearly leagues above Litzau? Based on what necessarily? Both have beaten Juarez by decision, and both have been knocked out in upsets. IMO Litzau has beaten the better fighters than Linares, but just never got the hype Linares did. If they fought, Jay would surprise a lot of people again and KO Linares.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 21 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Clearly leagues above Litzau? Based on what necessarily? Both have beaten Juarez by decision, and both have been knocked out in upsets. IMO Litzau has beaten the better fighters than Linares, but just never got the hype Linares did. If they fought, Jay would surprise a lot of people again and KO Linares.

Anyone who boxes or has a trained eye can see that Linares is far superior in terms of talents and technique. Caballero was a good victory for Litzau, but let's not carried away. He's a notch below someone like Linares. He's a Juan Carlos Burgos level fighter and a poor man's Jhonny Gonzalez.

BOth guys having decision wins over Rocky doesn't exactly indicate what they're really capable of, plus, litzau was very fortunate to escape with a W against Juarez.

Linares is just better than him in every aspect.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Well, I hope they make that fight someday, so you can be proven wrong lol. We haven't seen too much of Linares to make that judgement imo. With all due respect, but Linares has not beaten somebody at the level of Caballero yet. I said yet, because I agree he is good. I'm from MN, so I like Litz a lot. I would love to see the fight.
scallum
I too thought linares was the next big thing. I was even calling him Sugar Ray Robinson Latino (Srr latino). I think it was just too much promise to soon for Jorge.
FinitoElDinamita
Linares should have been handled by someone else instead of Teiken who matched him with stiffs in Japan. BUt GBP is co-promoting him now and will get more exposure in the states. I still think he's the next big thing next to Donaire. In a recent interview, he states that Soto, Guerrero and Katsidis and by the look of things, he probably has to cross paths with Demarco at some point.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.