Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fights that got you choked up
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
FinitoElDinamita
Nobody expected Roy to last 12 rounds and look good as he did so in a way, he won the event. But my heart skipped a beat when he slouched down and layed there lifelessly, i was on the verge of tears.. The last fight that touched me this much was when Chico took a beating by Clottey..

What about you guys?
Maxy
Meldrick Taylor getting stopped with two seconds to go against Chavez.
gravytrain
any time i lose money on a fight.
Romulus9
In a good way? Foreman-Moorer, Pazienza-Santana

In a bad way? Gatti-Gomez, Drago-Creed
Spyder
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 21 2011, 04:19 PM) *

+1 on Drago-Creed

Balboa-Drago got me going before the opening bell when Paulie said, "I know sometimes I act stupid and I say stupid things, but you kept me around and other people would have said "drop that bum". You give me respect. You know it's kinda hard for me to say these kinda things, cuz it ain't my way, but if I could just unzip myself and step out and be someone else, I'd wanna be you. You're all heart, Rock."

scallum
Ali vs Holmes I cried for 2 weeks after the fight
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 21 2011, 03:19 PM) *

optimus prime vs megatron choked me up as a kid... lol...
D-MARV
I was only 5 but I remember crying when Tyson lost to Douglas.

Hopkins-Pavlik choked me up! I was at that fight and I knew at that moment I was witnessing a true legend of the sport!

PWill-Martinez II fucked me up for days... No tears just a lot of alcohol.
Snoop
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 21 2011, 08:19 PM) *
In a bad way? Gatti-Gomez

That fight had me sad. The post-fight interview even more.

Method
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 21 2011, 04:57 PM) *
Paulie said, "I know sometimes I act stupid and I say stupid things, but you kept me around and other people would have said "drop that bum". You give me respect. You know it's kinda hard for me to say these kinda things, cuz it ain't my way, but if I could just unzip myself and step out and be someone else, I'd wanna be you. You're all heart, Rock."

hahahahahaha.

"...Now KILL this BUM!"
HaydelHammer
watching Sugar Ray Leonard vs Terry Norris. That one bothered me as a teen. Ray just couldn't do anything man.

Kind of reminds me of Jones now. Watch a guy wow you to now see him look like a slow, old punching bag.
King Eugene
Roy losing just deflates me all together. Thats why I didn't bother watching the fight, reading any post fight articles, nor reading any of the threads created. I know he was KO'd and refuse to let myself learn anything more about the fight.

I was a little heart broken to see P.Will dropped like a wet dish cloth too.
SmartyBeardo
Let a dude get my back and had to stand and drop his head on the curb twice before he released the choke, consciousness and a piece of his skull.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I usually don't cry about sporting events, since they are just sporting events and don't effect my day-to-day life. However, last December Anthony Bonante decided to come back after a two year layoff when he retired because he had some anger to get off his chest. In his last fight before retiring he was knocked out in the 3rd round by Andy Kolle, and he obviously didn't have much left in the tank. He fought a .500 fighter in Bobby Kliewer, and it seemed like a safer fight. Kliewer is more talented than his record indicates, but he usually never shows up in shape, which leads to him gassing and losing fights. I knew it was a dangerous fight if Bobby showed up in shape, which he did. He dropped the older Bonsante 2 times in the first couple rounds with hard right hands. Bonsante was a shell of his former self, and it was the saddest fight I've ever seen live. His daughter was crying her eyes out ringside, and that was tough to watch. I wish my old trainer would have just thrown in the towel, but he let it go on. Although Bonsante came back to make it a closer fight, he didn't need to take the shots he took that night. He didn't deserve to lose to a .500 fighter. That was tough to watch last December, and hopefully for his family's sake he hangs em up for good.
Spyder
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 23 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Let a dude get my back and had to stand and drop his head on the curb twice before he released the choke, consciousness and a piece of his skull.

Fitz
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I got chocked up watching Tyson lose to Lewis, McBride and Williams. Mike Tyson was the fighter of my generation. At one point he was the most famous sportsman in the world and probably one of 3 most recognizable people on the planet.

It was Tyson that got me into boxing, but more specifically Mike's knowledge and constant name checking of old fighters that made me want to learn more about this incredible sport. From the days of watching him destroy Spinks in a minute and a half to losing those fights was hard to watch.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 24 2011, 07:51 PM) *
At one point he was the most famous sportsman in the world and probably one of 3 most recognizable people on the planet.

Just to give you an idea on how big Tyson was, and mind you, this was still when he was shot. But Mike Tyson had his own section on the board.

It was like:
-General Boxing
-Classic Boxing
-UK Boxing
-Mike Tyson
-General Section
-Smack Talk

laugh.gif

Now that's how BIG Tyson was. I really wish we could see how big of a PPV star and money he would make, if you could transport that Mike Tyson into 2011.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2011, 05:25 AM) *
Just to give you an idea on how big Tyson was, and mind you, this was still when he was shot. But Mike Tyson had his own section on the board.

It was like:
-General Boxing
-Classic Boxing
-UK Boxing
-Mike Tyson
-General Section
-Smack Talk

laugh.gif

Now that's how BIG Tyson was. I really wish how big of a PPV star and money he would make, if you could transport that Mike Tyson into 2011.

Like Eldrick Woods he would be a billionaire athlete.

Having your own section though, that's pretty fucken big laugh.gif
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 23 2011, 09:33 PM) *

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 23 2011, 09:55 PM) *

I'd take Jim Harrison over any movie star or cartoon character.

I have just had a hard time thinking of any fights that got me "choked up" in the you are close to tears sense. I suppose Mancini v Duk Ku Kim(?) might qualify since it became obvious very quickly that the fight would alter boxing forever.

Boxing generally exhilarates me or it pisses me off on those special nights.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2011, 11:25 AM) *

It was like:
-General Boxing
-Classic Boxing
-UK Boxing
-Mike Tyson
-General Section
-Smack Talk

laugh.gif

Now that's how BIG Tyson was. I really wish we could see how big of a PPV star and money he would make, if you could transport that Mike Tyson into 2011.

I remember that on the BT days. So many threads dude had to have his own section. laugh.gif
salvador
Azumah Nelson getting off the canvas in the 15th round against Salvador Sanchez.

DLH, after eating too many stiff jabs to count in the 10th and 11th rounds, unloading everything he had against Quartey in the 12th - and then BOTH fighters standing toe to toe in the final 30 seconds of the round unable to punch because they were both completely spent.

BGv2.0
A few of them.

Tyson/Douglas = but not due to the loss by Mike or the sheer magnitude of the win, but due to the clear motivation behind the win. Douglas's loss of his mother was the only thing that was behind that performance. Sheer will due to the loss of his mom.

Foreman/Moorer because it fianlly killed those demons for a HW I really loved.

Castillo/Corrales 1....as if there is any question.

gravytrain
i remember being at sports bars with my dad and watching the fights when i was a kid. Tyson was the only fighter that made everyone stop what they were doing and actually watch the fight and it's back in the mid 90s.

if he was around now i could see him being on everything after his breakdown and probably making 100 million a fight or more. dude would probably have his own channel on tv.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.