Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT): Pascal vs, Hopkins II (SPOILERS 15 Minutes Later)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
gravytrain
Hopkins by UD
SmartyBeardo
Yes! What a fucking stud.
SmartyBeardo
That was brilliant.
KookedKrack
drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif

SmartyBeardo
BHop goes hard for 12, and beats the kid soundly.
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ May 22 2011, 04:29 AM) *
drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif

drinks.gif
Snoop
"I am the OG of Golden Boy. The OG."

laugh.gif
The CEO
Way to be fair for once, Canada...all you gotta do now is create and offer up some better fighters, and maybe you can up your Boxing game to 2nd Rate someday...
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 22 2011, 04:32 AM) *
Way to be fair for once, Canada...all you gotta do now is create and offer up some better fighters, and maybe you can up your Boxing game to 2nd Rate someday...

laugh.gif

No Mercy.
Spyder
Pascal fought like he was merely walking the belt to the ring for Hopkins.
gravytrain
scorecards 116-112, 115-113, 115-114
SmartyBeardo
It is an absolutely amazing accomplishment.
Spyder
HGH is an absolutely amazing drug.
D-MARV
Great win for the legend... I can't believe we had people saying that B-Hop wasn't "clutch". LOL
neophyte7
HOPKINS DEFINITELY up there with Ali and Robinson.. tonight he was robbed of knockdowns.. hit behind the head repeatedly... yet he maintained his great dominance.... BHOP is a phenomenon...
kidbazooka1
Hopkins impressed me tonight he got hurt more than once and just kept coming the guy has in incredible boxing mind. Pascal fought as good as he could have but he just doesn't have the technqiue to score points whne he not bull rushing you.
HaydelHammer
good win for bhop...those sit up will go down in history...be funny 20 years from now to see that shit with the youngsters and they'll be like wow that guy was 46 and the other guy was 28....be like YEP. I saw that fight live. LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
At the very least you must have Bhop as one of the top 20 greats of all time. He still has incredible defense at 46 years old. That is amazing.
caneman
Way to go BHop! I wish he would retire though, he has nothing left to prove!!!! What a legend! drinks.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Congrats to Bernard Hopkins, what an accomplishment. He boxed so well tonight, and controlled the pace from rounds 1-12. I thought the jab was key for him tonight. Everytime he threw it, it seemed to keep Pascal off balance and didn't allow him to get off on those little flurries. Everytime Hopkins stopped throwing the jab, Pascal was able to get in there and do some work. The jab was masterful, and truly set up a lot of those huge right hands. HBO didn't mention the jab once, but he used it a lot more than in the first fight imo. I had it 117-111, as Pascal couldn't land effective shots. He'd slap and throw wild shots, but not many of them landed. I was a little nervous in the 4th and 12th rounds, as Pascal seemed to hurt Hopkins badly. He never jumped on Hopkins though, and allowed him to recover. Especially in the 5th round, that was the time to turn the fight around and try to dictate the pace. However, Hopkins looked great and I'm glad I was wrong.

On a side note, that ref was straight up corrupt. That was worse than Bute-Andrade 1, and possibly one of the worse ref jobs in history. Hopkins was hit behind the head all night, and the ref didn't even give a warning. On top of that, he missed two clear knockdowns. Sure, an argument can be made that he slipped, but would Pascal have gone down if Hopkins doesn't hit him? They were clear knockdowns, and the ref gave him no credit. Pascal held a lot on the inside in the early going, and seemed to even intentionally headbutt him in round 5. There were no warnings for any of that, but the ref went at Hopkins all night. I hope that ref never gets a big fight again. I'm just glad he didn't take a point.
Spyder
Claims for GH as an anti-aging treatment date back to 1990 when the New England Journal of Medicine published a study wherein GH was used to treat 12 men over 60.[30] At the conclusion of the study, all the men showed statistically significant increases in lean body mass and bone mineral, while the control group did not. The authors of the study noted that these improvements were the opposite of the changes that would normally occur over a 10- to 20-year aging period. Despite the fact the authors at no time claimed that GH had reversed the aging process itself, their results were misinterpreted as indicating that GH is an effective anti-aging agent.[31][32][33] This has led to organizations such as the controversial American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine promoting the use of this hormone as an "anti-aging agent".

I saw that shit LIVE!!
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 21 2011, 09:42 PM) *

neophyte7
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 22 2011, 12:55 AM) *
Congrats to Bernard Hopkins, what an accomplishment. He boxed so well tonight, and controlled the pace from rounds 1-12. I thought the jab was key for him tonight. Everytime he threw it, it seemed to keep Pascal off balance and didn't allow him to get off on those little flurries. Everytime Hopkins stopped throwing the jab, Pascal was able to get in there and do some work. The jab was masterful, and truly set up a lot of those huge right hands. HBO didn't mention the jab once, but he used it a lot more than in the first fight imo. I had it 117-111, as Pascal couldn't land effective shots. He'd slap and throw wild shots, but not many of them landed. I was a little nervous in the 4th and 12th rounds, as Pascal seemed to hurt Hopkins badly. He never jumped on Hopkins though, and allowed him to recover. Especially in the 5th round, that was the time to turn the fight around and try to dictate the pace. However, Hopkins looked great and I'm glad I was wrong.

On a side note, that ref was straight up corrupt. That was worse than Bute-Andrade 1, and possibly one of the worse ref jobs in history. Hopkins was hit behind the head all night, and the ref didn't even give a warning. On top of that, he missed two clear knockdowns. Sure, an argument can be made that he slipped, but would Pascal have gone down if Hopkins doesn't hit him? They were clear knockdowns, and the ref gave him no credit. Pascal held a lot on the inside in the early going, and seemed to even intentionally headbutt him in round 5. There were no warnings for any of that, but the ref went at Hopkins all night. I hope that ref never gets a big fight again. I'm just glad he didn't take a point.

YEAP... THE REF WAS fucking horrible... he should be investigated... he seemed to get angry when Hopkins started pouring it on.. two clear knockdowns ignored.. rabbit punching allowed by Pascal... blatantly breaking hop infighting momentum...
HaydelHammer
I felt the ref was very passive in general. He had zero control early on. They didn't even break upon his command..nothing. He'd be in there physically trying to break them up and they still fought. Way too passive imo. no control ....he was in survival mode basically missing shit.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Still, he never even warned Pascal, but was on Hops shit all night. It just bugged me how he allowed Pascal to headbutt, hold, and hit behind the head all night long. Still, Hopkins stayed mentally strong and proved to be the champ he is. He looked 30 years old, and dominated that fight.
SmartyBeardo
Well, I didn't get raptured today, but this was one of those days I will never forget.

This shot of Russian Standard is for you Mr. Hopkins.

Cheers!
Method
More fucking behind the head shots that ive ever seen....bulshit.

But Joe owned him, right?

hahahaha.....

Whatever man....

George Foreman and Bhop are two different sports.

BoxingStill#1
Wow... hat goes off to my favorite fighter tonight...

Ref was definitely in on something.....

Pascal has insane power though..... he is dangerous for anyone
BGv2.0
QUOTE (caneman @ May 21 2011, 11:55 PM) *
Way to go BHop! I wish he would retire though, he has nothing left to prove!!!! What a legend! drinks.gif

Yeah....after such a HUGE accomplishment there is nothing more than could really be captured.

AND...despite the excellent skills, incredible shape he's in.....he's still 46....at some point one of these young guys will beat him and then he will want a rematch...most likely lose that and then what?

Why even risk going out like that?

If I were B-Hop....I'd ride off into the sunset with that win.

But that was a spectacular fight, first fight in a LONG time that made me proud to have even witnessed it. Hell, my mom is 65 and only knows about boxing due to her son being a fan....but I was watching it at her house and she was totally into it...she watched the whole thing even the interviews.....that's saying something.lol

BUT...that ref was terrible....those two blown KDs were big. I cannot complain too much about the fouls....as BOTH guys were getting dirty at times....but there is ZERO excuse to have missed those KDs! NONE!

Imperius3
Spectacular performance by Hopkins, as expected.

People were saying Hopkins should retire after Tarver, but then came Wright, then Calzaghe, then Pavlik, and now Pascal. If he can still fight and beat these fighters, then I say keep fighting. Keep enhancing that legacy.

Oh yeah, and the ref sucked. Those were knockdowns, and I don't want to see that ref again.
BigG
Great performance from Hopkins...
Jack 1000
Easy fight on my card at 117-111 for Hopkins. Pascal just could not find the range and seemed to be gassed by the middle rounds. First time that I can remember where they were able to overturn Quebec Law and get four neutral officials in there. Normally two of the four officials must reside from Canada. Neutrality is good, and this is what all boxing should have, especially so at the world championship level. SHOCKED that points were not taken away for all the holding and rough tactics. Two of the cards were too close. At least the decision was fair.

Hopkins now the oldest fighter in boxing HISTORY to win a world championship! (Surpassing Foreman beating Moorer.)

Jack
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 22 2011, 02:42 PM) *

It would not surprise me but it would shock me. I think any athlete will do what they can to get the edge over a the competition & Nard is no different. With Nard though he has always subscribed to the clean living ethos & that is why I would be so shocked if he was found cheating.

QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 22 2011, 02:42 PM) *
Great win for the legend... I can't believe we had people saying that B-Hop wasn't "clutch". LOL

That was me & I don't take it back as such. Hopkins lost several close but in my eyes clear fights by a round because he coasted. Now he knows that he needs to win clear rounds & Hopkins is right up there with the greatest fighters that ever lived. He is like the Archie Moore of the modern era. I have never said he is not a great fighter I said he is a complainer & whinger.
Method
hahhahahahahahahaha.....that's right, "B-Hop isnt clutch".

What the fuck ever, man. Guy has come up big in so many situations it's not even fucking funny. Actually, what is funny, is that its the text book definition of clutch, and I make so much money off of it, because its NORMAL to those that understand his ability.

If he actually understood the textbook definition of clutch, he'd get that....but whatever...you can lead a horse to water....
Method
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 22 2011, 05:36 AM) *
SHOCKED that points were not taken away for all the holding and rough tactics.

Unbelieveable.
The Ring Dictator
I take my hat off to one of boxing history's most intelligent fighters. G-e-n-i-u-s.
caneman
I bet Pascal landed 20+ rabbit punches and never even got warned!
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 22 2011, 04:36 AM) *
SHOCKED that points were not taken away for all the holding and rough tactics.
Jack

I'm not on two counts. 1.) They were BOTH dirty at times, so much so that I can't see one overiding the other, in that sense they kind of evened out. I mean, it looked like Pascal was more consistant with the behind the head shots and holding....but B-Hop was pretty blatent with the kidney shots and MAYBE the thumb....I'm still not sure if that was intended or not.

2.) The ref sucked....if he could not even call 2 clear KDs, it's no surprise he did not call any of the dirty tactics.

To me in the end, they were both using rough house tactics and they pretty well evened each other out.
JONdaCON817
i scored it 116-112 for hopkins... i didnt score the KDs but i woulda counted the 1st one personally.

also the intro for Hopkins had me rolling... that shyt was hilarious.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ May 22 2011, 12:57 PM) *
I'm not on two counts. 1.) They were BOTH dirty at times, so much so that I can't see one overiding the other, in that sense they kind of evened out. I mean, it looked like Pascal was more consistant with the behind the head shots and holding....but B-Hop was pretty blatent with the kidney shots and MAYBE the thumb....I'm still not sure if that was intended or not.

2.) The ref sucked....if he could not even call 2 clear KDs, it's no surprise he did not call any of the dirty tactics.

To me in the end, they were both using rough house tactics and they pretty well evened each other out.

If Nady or Cortez had been in there, I think BOTH would have been DQ'd!

Jack
D-MARV
Bernard Hopkins is Fighter Of The Year!

I don't care what round Pacquiao knocks Marquez out in!

Fitz
What a fight, and I am happy to see Hopkins win it at this age. Truly something special, one of my favourite fighters of all time, and definitely one of the greatests.

I loved the fight, I actually loved both of the fights. I didn't have a problem with Pascal not getting warned. I felt it was a dirty fight, and Hopkins was able to do his things as well. The referee let them both do things. Hopkins occasionally punched low on the other side of the referee when in the clinch. It was a dirty fight, and they were both guilty of it it. I like dirty fights, if both guys are participating.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I don't think anyone currently active in boxing with the exception of Mayweather, and I'll even chuck Fatty Arbuckle himself James Toney in there, who understand the importance of either being right in or right out. Hopkins execution of it is excellent, he seems to know to the nearest half a milllimeter just how far he needs to stand to be out of range. He then throws in feints and almost always catches these young guys misjudging the distance and leaning in to throw shots and being there for the counter.

It really is masterful.

He just used so many tricks in this fight, I don't mind watching a technician when a technician is this great. It's an honor to have watched his greatest moments.

Oscar should have gone to Canada, they have a lot of 'snow' up there. Haha.
Fitz
Also, I think Pascal doesn't get shown enough respect by some people. Sure he doesn't have much stamina, and does have some flaws. But I still think he has been underrated.
Like him or not, I think he gave Hopkins one of his toughest fights (both times), he hurt him, which is something not many have been able to do, he landed. He gave Hopkins a better fight than countless other guys. Hopkins himself even gave Pascal credit, and thinks he can go a long way and be a true champion if he doesn't let the fight get to him. I think Pascal wasn't given a lot of respect in general. Even his win over Dawson gets a bit overlooked.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2011, 05:31 AM) *
Also, I think Pascal doesn't get shown enough respect by some people. Sure he doesn't have much stamina, and does have some flaws. But I still think he has been underrated.
Like him or not, I think he gave Hopkins one of his toughest fights (both times), he hurt him, which is something not many have been able to do, he landed. He gave Hopkins a better fight than countless other guys. Hopkins himself even gave Pascal credit, and thinks he can go a long way and be a true champion if he doesn't let the fight get to him. I think Pascal wasn't given a lot of respect in general. Even his win over Dawson gets a bit overlooked.

I actually think Pascal comes out of this fight with his reputation enhanced.
neophyte7
We will see the impacts of being in there with Hopkins twice.. it is all down hill for Pascal and Hopkins knows it..he was being nice.. Antwum Echols fought Hopkins twice in two grueling wars... he never was the same--- depends on how strong his mind is. I remember Pascal saying he does not train like other fighters??? Considering his poor stamina he better get some better training and conditioning tactics...
Lil-lightsout
What a great performance by Hopkins. Pascal is no push over either. I never was the biggest fan of Hopkins, but I always appreciated his skill and he always gave 100%. He was a very under appreciated and under rated fighter. Over many years all you ever heard was the Oscar, Whitaker, Mosley, Trinidad, Jones, etc. But while all those and many more fizzled, this old man just keeps performing and getting better. Hopkins clearly has the best boxing mind period. What he has done to other fighters and how he has kept himself so fresh and in shape is just mind boggling. I am really glad he is getting his just due, it's nice to see a guy always come in shape and will fight anybody. To see him get hurt a few times in both fights against Pascal and then to see what he is really made of by the way he responded is special. It is cool to see so many giving him his props, he deserves it.

Man I hope he fights Dawson next and wins that and retires. If you would have asked me say 5 years ago who rated better as an ATG, Roy or Bernard, I would have said Roy real quick. But not now, sure Roy was more athletically gifted than Hops, but this longevity has to count for something.
Method
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 25 2011, 03:28 AM) *
Man I hope he fights Dawson next and wins that and retires. If you would have asked me say 5 years ago who rated better as an ATG, Roy or Bernard, I would have said Roy real quick. But not now, sure Roy was more athletically gifted than Hops, but this longevity has to count for something.

The longevity, resume...I mean, its not even close at this point.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Method @ May 25 2011, 04:50 AM) *
The longevity, resume...I mean, its not even close at this point.

No doubt.

I remember watching him on undercard fight at the Blue Horizon in 1991, and an old training partner fought on the same card as him once.

And in 1993 when I was training at a gym I remember Steve Little always going down to Philly to spar with Hopkins to prepare him for his first fight with Roy. To think he is still a top fighter is crazy.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 25 2011, 05:47 AM) *
No doubt.

I remember watching him on undercard fight at the Blue Horizon in 1991, and an old training partner fought on the same card as him once.

And in 1993 when I was training at a gym I remember Steve Little always going down to Philly to spar with Hopkins to prepare him for his first fight with Roy. To think he is still a top fighter is crazy.

I remember being in England and buying a rag called 'Boxing Monthly' I think. It was an OK read actually. And they were previewing the fight with Trinidad. Of course they picked Trinidad, no shame in that everyone was high on him at the time, but one of their main reasons for going with him was that Hopkins was 'an ageing fighter.'

Well that was now 10 years ago, hahahahahahaha.

EDIT

While I'm at it did anyone else notice that during the fight Hopkins bottom teeth were his 'usual' y'know all over the place and when he comes to the post-fight interview he's got those new Hollywood perfect bottom row of teeth?

Ole Popkins is now literally taking out his false teeth before beating these young punks up laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.