Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should Bernard Hopkins do next?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
caneman
While I will miss him, but I say retire on top...sure he could go on but I feel that he should go enjoy life!
D-MARV
He'll fight on... I doubt he fights Dawson though, I think Dawson is all wrong for Hops but we'll see.

Honestly, After Haye starches Wladimir, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hopkins go after Haye.
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 22 2011, 06:07 PM) *
He'll fight on... I doubt he fights Dawson though, I think Dawson is all wrong for Hops but we'll see.

Honestly, After Haye starches Wladimir, I wouldn't be shocked to see Hopkins go after Haye.

You really think Haye's chin will hold up? I mean sure he might could end it on 1 punch but I think he'll eat too many jabs and straight righthands myself and be stopped but I could see him going for Haye!

You think he would fight Glen Johnson and would he win?
D-MARV
Hopkins would beat the shit out of Glen Johnson.

Guys like Ward and Dawson would give Hops all he can handle... He can always unify the belts and go school Cloud. That would be fun.
Method
Haye won't fight him. Not gonna happen.

I think he would have ZERO problem w Glenn Johnson. It's would just be a continuation of their 12th round. Glenn is no different now than he was then. I doubt that fight happens.

I think Hopkins beats Chad too, but there's just nothing glamorous about the fight, and I think it'd be a waste.

caneman
QUOTE (Method @ May 22 2011, 06:30 PM) *
Haye won't fight him. Not gonna happen.

I think he would have ZERO problem w Glenn Johnson. It's would just be a continuation of their 12th round. Glenn is no different now than he was then. I doubt that fight happens.

I think Hopkins beats Chad too, but there's just nothing glamorous about the fight, and I think it'd be a waste.

While nothing that crazy old man could do would shock me, they could give him troubles style wise these days! I really do think he should ride off into the sunset with a win...what else does he have to do in the ring. I understand it's the style he fought in the last 2 fight but he is getting hit clean too much now. He is 1st ballet hall of famer and made history in many ways! IDK. I say retire on top great warrior!
HaydelHammer
I say bernard go for the tri fec ta ...beat Sad Chad, Beat Bute and even take out Pascal again and get paid handsomely and shut it down HIS WAY.
D-MARV
Hops won't fight Chad. Too risky and it would be his least profitable fight.

He will more than likely fight Bute next.

Edit: I think Hopkins (legally) has to fight Chad next... If he goes another route, he'll have to vacate or give Chad some money.
caneman
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ May 22 2011, 07:27 PM) *
I say bernard go for the tri fec ta ...beat Sad Chad, Beat Bute and even take out Pascal again and get paid handsomely and shut it down HIS WAY.

That would be amazing and make him top 10 all time IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-MARV
QUOTE (caneman @ May 22 2011, 08:30 PM) *
That would be amazing and make him top 10 all time IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hops is Top Ten all time right now.

Real Talk!
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 22 2011, 07:32 PM) *
Hops is Top Ten all time right now.

Real Talk!

I say top 15 right now and that is something to be proud of!
D-MARV
QUOTE (caneman @ May 22 2011, 08:33 PM) *
I say top 15 right now and that is something to be proud of!

Fair enough,

I'll have a hard time finding 10 guys to place in front of him.
BigG
Hopkins would destroy Dawson!
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (BigG @ May 22 2011, 08:45 PM) *
Hopkins would destroy Dawson!

I agree. Dawson is just way to damn passive....Manny would fucking flip during this fight in Dawson's corner. Flip the fuck out.

"GET TO BANGING!" "YOU IN THERE DOING THIS PITTY PAT SHIT!" like he did lennox a$$.
caneman
Vote in this poll as well as the one on this page please! http://boxing.about.com/
neophyte7
Someone said Hopkins is getting hit too cleanly... I beg to differ. Pascal talked about how hard he was to hit. Hopkins was unscathed after Pascal.. sure Pascal landed to some hard flush shots, yet BH still made it hard for him. Hopkins has been taking risks as of late and pressing forward. He has the chin to eat the occassional hard shots-- I mean if he couldn't he wouldn't be doing the amazing things he is doing in the ring. Hopkins is still alongside Floyd Mayweather the best defensive fighter in the world... hands down!!!
gravytrain
i don't think Hopkins gets hit too easily unless he really goes for it. everyone is bound to take a shot eventually though, Hopkins took Pascal's big shots and recovered well.

i would rather see him fight Bute than Dawson. i think it'll be a more entertaining fight, give him a bigger venue and more to work with.
STEVENSKI
It depends on how Hopkins wants to go out. Last night was a fairytale ending to a stellar career if he retires now. It is up to him but I don't think it will get any better than last night so why not go out on a high?
Fitz
Hopkins I would like to see retire on top, though there is no evidence to suggest he should do it. He is still at the top. if he continues to fight on, I think it should be Dawson next, and then maybe Bute or a S6 winner.
That said, I think Dawson gives Hopkins some problems.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 22 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Hopkins I would like to see retire on top, though there is no evidence to suggest he should do it. He is still at the top. if he continues to fight on, I think it should be Dawson next, and then maybe Bute or a S6 winner.
That said, I think Dawson gives Hopkins some problems.

I agree. Dawson is not right for BHop at this point.

He should retire on top of the world. But it doesn't matter what we think. BHop will do as he pleases. Off the top of my prodigious skull I would have to put BHop in the top 10 ATG list . . . and to think back just one year ago . . . retire Mr. Hopkins.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 22 2011, 10:32 PM) *
It depends on how Hopkins wants to go out. Last night was a fairytale ending to a stellar career if he retires now. It is up to him but I don't think it will get any better than last night so why not go out on a high?

i think he can do it again depending on who he fights. i can see him beating Bute but beyond that it's going to be close or even a loss. beating a young 4 round fighter is going to be a lot different than beating someone who can fight all 12 rounds.
The CEO
I'd like to see him put Canada out of its misery and retire...

Bernard Hopkins, Destroyer of Nations...lol
BoxingWizard23
B.Hop will school Dawson, Dawson does too much boxing and he will be outboxed by Hopkins and plus he doesn't have that killer instinct he's too throw away in that squared circle. The only peeps i see giving Hopkins all he could handle would be Ward. Ward has the discipline and the right aggressiveness to deal wit Hopkins slip in and out counters. That fight will depend on who has the better inside fighting game and at Hopkins age it will be a toss up because Ward is nasty as far fighting inside he showed that when he fought Green and Bika. Hopkins is timeless and he is one of the best defensive fighters of all time right along with Mayweather. Dont fight Cloud it would be a waste and easy fight. He should fight Dawson, Bute and then Ward and then retire. Bow out gracefully like a master at his last show.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 22 2011, 06:07 PM) *

I don't know. I used to think that Chad would give Hopkins some problems - but Chad has looked like shit lately while Bernard has been taking young fighters to SCHOOL.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (caneman @ May 22 2011, 06:13 PM) *
You really think Haye's chin will hold up? I mean sure he might could end it on 1 punch but I think he'll eat too many jabs and straight righthands myself and be stopped but I could see him going for Haye!

Haye is too fast and too slick for Dr. Robotinik...
BGv2.0
I voted for retire. I mean there is not much else to accomplish after that.

What an awesome victory to end and awesome career.

The only part that bugs me is I think that was his 59th career fight....I'd like to retire with a nice rounded off number 60 total pro fights.

If it was 60 I say pack it in, but if it were 59 (and I think it was).....maybe one more.

I also think he makes Dawson his bitch moreso than he made Pascal.....Dawson SUCKS!

caneman
Looks like BHop said screw the IBO belt!

Per fightnews>>> Newly crowned WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins didnít pay the sanctioning fee to the IBO, so the IBO belt held by Jean Pascal is now vacant.
Big Slim Sweet
Retire on top or fight Dawson. No matter what we all think of that fight Hopkins showed a lack of interest in Dawson before and I think now given the set-up from Saturday should give Chad his chance. If he refuses to fight him again, it does kinda look like he's avoiding him somewhat, IMO.

Besides, I don't want Hopkins taking Bute's 0 in front of 20,000 adoring fans. I want Andre Ward to have that privilege.
Fitz
That said now, not sure a Haye fight would be a great idea. Pascal was able to hurt Hopkins, Haye would probably be able to do much more now that I look at it. Not that I think Hopkins wants Haye, though he did mention it a year or so back.
and the NEW
Fight Bute. The winner gets the winner of the Super 6.

Dawson can fight Pascal again to prove he should even be champ at 175 once old man BHOP is gone.
EAlbian

I really think it comes down to money, he deserves to get paid and his best options would be a Haye fight or a Bute fight.

Haye is tied up for the time being and i dont see that as a great fight for Hopkins anyways. I think the Bute is the right choice, he has a great following and it is a very winnable fight for B-Hop. I think it only makes the fight for the super6 winner that much better and it would allow things to wrap up around the same time.

After that fight i cant see B-Hop retiring
King Eugene
TV Contracts will stop Hopkins vs. Bute

Hopkins vs. Dawson is what I want to see personally but there is no personality to that fight. Dawson has such a dry personality. It wouldn't make Hopkins any money and the reward isn't worth the risk. Dawson is not a trash talker and Hopkins would basically be talking to himself.

I'd love to see him whip Bute but I'd rather Ward do it first. Then that would be a good spring board for a Ward vs. Hopkins fight but hell by the time that happens Hopkins may be 47. It would take too long.

Haye? Hell no! Hopkins punch resistance is slowling declining and if he got caught and rocked by Pascal I dont even want to imagine what Haye could possibly do.

Now I still wouldn't mind seeing him square off with good ol Toney just to seal his career.
Big Slim Sweet
Agree with every word you say King ^^^^

For people clamoring for Bute and then the winner of the super 6, are you looking for Hopkins to go down to 168? Or do you see all these guys jumping up to light heavy? Cause Bute's already getting the winner of the super 6 at his preferred weight. And the winner of the super 6 is already getting Bute at theirs. I don't see these guys being all that motivated to alter their program to fit in BHop.

D-MARV
Hopkins Vs Dawson is the fight to make. I know Hopkins doesn't like this but it needs to happen if Hopkins wants to fight on.
thehype
Hopkins won't fight David Haye. According to what he said on Twitter, they're boys now and too tight...although just a year ago, he was all about fighting Haye at heavyweight for history. LOL.

Personally, I don't think he should fight Dawson. In my opinion, Dawson isn't even worthy of stepping into the ring with Hops. Don't get me wrong...I know the boy has some skills, but damn man, he's so passive and just looks so uninterested in fighting...I don't see him putting up much of a fight against the old man. Dawson should handle his business against Pascal first before getting his career ruined by ol' Snaggletooth.

There's really not much out there for Hopkins to do, but he'll fight on simply because he hasn't taken a beating and there's still money out there to collect. That being said, whoever gets him the biggest payday is who he should fight next, soooooo.....in my opinion.....he should fight MANNY PACQUIAO and show him what it's like to be in the ring with a REAL slick African American. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

laugh.gif

Kidding of course. Bute would be the logical choice...ALTHOUGH...if he can tempt him, traveling across the pond for a rematch with Calslappy would be a nice payday.

Oddly enough, I'm surprised Sergio Martinez wasn't listed as a possible choice. Is it because he's perceived as being too small? I actually think that would be one helluva fight at a catchweight of maybe 170....of course, can Hopkins even make 170?

dntknw.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.