Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Boxing takeing a back seat to mix martial arts in america
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Harvey
I am a boxing fan have been for years and I notice that I find thursday night fights more interesting to watch than some major fights, but mix martial arts fighting is ok but it have not grabbed me from boxing at all I find alot of friends have move to the cage fighting than boxing now ,unless it's a well known name fighter and after the fight with mosley and pac man those type of fights hurt fans who have been off boxing to join back on it was bad money spent who ever paid for it, so with fights like this being over hyped and turns out to be nothing at all to watch for the fans who are into boxing for the excitement of it was let down and pushs them away to another venue like mix martial arts ( What Do YOU Think )
BigG
I dont think so. I think MMA meat head fans seriously overestimate how much their sports growing. Boxing is world wide. North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa...
SmartyBeardo
MMA is good for boxing.
Spyder
QUOTE (BigG @ May 22 2011, 11:25 PM) *
I dont think so. I think MMA meat head fans seriously overestimate how much their sports growing. Boxing is world wide. North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa...

They have MMA in all of those places too...except for Africa. Those African boys still fight with sticks and shit.

alaganza
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 22 2011, 11:35 PM) *
MMA is good for boxing.

I'm not sure how.

Warlord
QUOTE (BigG @ May 22 2011, 11:25 PM) *

This jealous, bitter, ex-girlfriend shtick by guys like you is getting played out. MMA is here, and it isn't going anywhere. Get used to it. They're two different sports, and getting sand in your tainted vagina because one is, could, or may be doing better than the other is a bitch move.

Do you skid your panties to know that boxing as a sport is to the NFL what a one-legged paraplegic whore is to Beyonce Knowles? You may prefer the Soliped, but don't presume to pass judgement on those who enjoy the bipedal chocolate delight that is Beyonce Knowles.

Now go fuck a calf or write some more gay poetry, and leave the discussion to coherent or even semi-coherent minds.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (alaganza @ May 22 2011, 09:05 PM) *
I'm not sure how.

The competition for our entertainment $$ is having a positive effect on boxing, IMO.
Warlord
QUOTE (alaganza @ May 23 2011, 12:05 AM) *
I'm not sure how.

Competition forces the intelligent or semi-intelligent to constantly improve their product, if they hope to continue to compete in the market place.

A lack of competition leads to stagnation, a devaluing of the product, and, in the end, the collapse of business.

The only question is, is how such a concept could so easily elude some of you?
BigG
Calm down Warlord laugh.gif Dont get riled up...Its true though...Not saying MMA is going anywhere but MMA Meat Heads saying Boxing is dying is laughable. They must not have seen the events in Europe or Asia. Dana wont even release PVP numbers. And this is coming from a fan of both obviously I like Boxing more but I do watch UFC when it comes on.
Warlord
QUOTE (BigG @ May 23 2011, 12:14 AM) *
Calm down Warlord laugh.gif Dont get riled up...Its true though...Not saying MMA is going anywhere but MMA Meat Heads saying Boxing is dying is laughable. They must not have seen the events in Europe or Asia. Dana wont even release PVP numbers. And this is coming from a fan of both obviously I like Boxing more but I do watch UFC when it comes on.

Don't refer to MMA fans as "meat heads", when boxing, as we all know, is populated with just as many staunch retards. See any of the hardcore Pac or Gayweather fans for example.

And don't get your panties tied up in a knot because you thought you heard someone say boxing is dying. Boxing isn't going in the right direction, and hasn't done so in a long time. The sport is, and has been for some time, dependent on super-stars to carry it.

What happens when Pac steps away? And Gayweather? The next biggest names are the Klits, and they're despised by you guys. What then? Chad Dawson takes their place? Bute?

There is a reason that Evander Holyfield can still fight, and draw a crowd, at damn near 50 years old. Because there is no one alive in the sport today who has the heart he has, or fill his shoes.

Boxing may not be "dying" in America, but it is a sickly old man with heart problems who eats steaks and gravy for every meal while looking down on the young people at the table, calling them bitches and meat heads, and coughing up a bucket of phlegm in the process.

I think everyone agrees that boxing needs fixing, in a lot of fucking areas. Except of course when someone accidentally mentions MMA, then boxing is awesome and everyone who doesn't think so can shut the fuck up and die.
BigG
Warlord believe it or not I've been watching MMA almost as long as Boxing but Boxing has my heart. Ive watched almost all UFC's since the tournament era and I definitely used to watch PRIDE. In high school I had a Japenese classmate who still a close friend of mine and he intoduced me to Fedor and showed me his fights that was back in 06. I've actually been PRACTISING MMA for two years with a friend of mine.

But just like MMA is going nowhere Boxing is going nowhere thats all Im saying. A good fighter is a good fighter regardless of sport.

BTW...LOL at stick fighting...Filipinos do it too its called Arnis.
Spyder
I'm sorry bro, but MMA fans in America...though a diverse group...are largely and overwhelmingly made up of meat heads.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Who is there after Pac? Well, I remember people saying the same thing when De La Hoya was getting older and not fighting as much. There will always be somebody there to carry the tourch. I think Saul Alvarez is a star in the making, as is Victor Ortiz. Both have potential to be large PPV stars and have a style that is fan friendly.

I've always disagreed with people who argue that boxing is dying. PPV numbers are still strong, it's a global sport that sells out arenas world-wide (see Canada, Europe, and Japan), and it still has a presence on cable TV (ESPN, FSN). Almost everything is being moved to cable TV these days. Even in my own state, Minnesota, we've sold out numerous local shows and will have a huge local show this upcoming weekend. As long as there are gyms around, this sport will never die. Sure, it will never get to the level of the NFL or NBA, but it's still a strong sport in the world.

Boxing needs MMA around too. Like already mentioned, they're two different sports. However, they both need to come up with innovative solutions and create the right match ups to please their fanbases. Both sports will be here to stay, and hopefully both grow in popularity. After all, they are both combat sports.
The CEO
It's taking and losing, not takeing and loosing, Harvey....and "mix" martial arts?.....lol...come on now...this is FightHype.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 23 2011, 06:03 AM) *
It's taking and losing, not takeing and loosing, Harvey....and "mix" martial arts?.....lol...come on now...this is FightHype.

They didn't realize that they would be facing grammar and punctuation quizzes when they stumbled into FightHype.

On second thought, I better dust off my style manual rtfm.gif
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 23 2011, 09:16 AM) *
They didn't realize that they would be facing grammar and punctuation quizzes when they stumbled into FightHype.

laugh.gif

I normally wouldn't have said anything, but he's dropped two of the most controversial topics you can bring up...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 23 2011, 06:23 AM) *
laugh.gif

I normally wouldn't have said anything, but he's dropped two of the most controversial topics you can bring up...

I have been teaching English all of my adult life. Sometimes shit needs to be said. Usually people can't handle the truth. Critiquing their writing makes them feel akin to walking naked down a fashion runway.
Harvey
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 23 2011, 09:16 AM) *

I know I seen it after the fact thats what happens when coming in after the club and writing a topic drinking and spelling don't mix my bag FightHype
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 22 2011, 11:50 PM) *
I'm sorry bro, but MMA fans in America...though a diverse group...are largely and overwhelmingly made up of meat heads.

Yeah...I agree. Of course not every single one is a dipshit, there are those that follow it in a very fan informed manner....but for the most part, from my observation, 9/10 it's a bunch of wannbe tough guys/thugs that sound about like they usually look.

I always thought MMA stole away all of those "boxing fans" that STILL thought Tyson was the man in the early 2000's.

MMA fandom from my observation is not far off from WWE level fandom.

The funny thing is....you can see the stereotypical MMA fan at concerts and other events....go to ANY random concert or club and look for the guy in a faggot ass Affliction shirt, with cliche tribal tats and CLEARLY juiced up arms and a metrosexual haircut or buzzcut....there ya go...lol

I see that shit so much I could puke coathangers!
alaganza
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 23 2011, 12:09 AM) *
The competition for our entertainment $$ is having a positive effect on boxing, IMO.

QUOTE (Warlord @ May 23 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Competition forces the intelligent or semi-intelligent to constantly improve their product, if they hope to continue to compete in the market place.

A lack of competition leads to stagnation, a devaluing of the product, and, in the end, the collapse of business.

The only question is, is how such a concept could so easily elude some of you?

I agree in concept. However, I do not see boxing stepping up to the challenge. IMO there are far more weak cards in boxing than MMA. Between the corrupt judges, promoters, and networks boxing is hurting now. Not dead by any means but hurting. I know the numbers for some PPV may suggest boxing certain PPV's are good for business. But in a long term strategic sense it's not.

I think boxing has a bad habit of holding on to old stars too long. And they promote names, not fights in many cases. At the end of the card you fill robbed.
FinitoElDinamita
Spoof: "MMA is Not Gay!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwjTNn5vXjw
Spyder
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ May 23 2011, 12:44 PM) *
Yeah...I agree. Of course not every single one is a dipshit, there are those that follow it in a very fan informed manner....but for the most part, from my observation, 9/10 it's a bunch of wannbe tough guys/thugs that sound about like they usually look.

I always thought MMA stole away all of those "boxing fans" that STILL thought Tyson was the man in the early 2000's.

MMA fandom from my observation is not far off from WWE level fandom.

The funny thing is....you can see the stereotypical MMA fan at concerts and other events....go to ANY random concert or club and look for the guy in a faggot ass Affliction shirt, with cliche tribal tats and CLEARLY juiced up arms and a metrosexual haircut or buzzcut....there ya go...lol

I see that shit so much I could puke coathangers!

Jack 1000
I said this before. Why can't the fans of boxing and MMA enjoy both sports and let the fans of the other sport alone if they don't like the other sport? There are many who are set in their ways of both boxing and MMA, and most seem to favor one over the other. I doubt any community forums are going to change this.

Personally, I believe that the greatest boxing matches in history (Corrales-Castillo I, Pryor-Arguello I, Morales-Barrera I, Ward-Gatti I, Frazier-Ali I, Ali-Frazier III, Bowe-Holyfield series.) will always be better than ANYTHING that MMA can match, because MMA does not have that long standing endurance style exibited by the dramatic back and forth action of the above fights. Personally, I have always believed Frazier-Ali I to be over-rated for action, but still the most significant fight historically for boxing.) Boxing has been around for 100 years. MMA, has had maybe 20 years of popularity, There is quite a difference.

I find that most of the younger generations don't have the attention span to sit through a 12-round championship fight today, let alone the 15-rounders of the past. For them, quicker fights are often more excting, because in boxing, you may have to wait several rounds for something to happen. In MMA, you only have 3 rounds, 5 rounds for something to happen. Submissions and stoppages are quicker. Younger people like the faster bursts of entertainment that MMA provides.

But where MMA shines is its undercard presentations with maybe 5 fights on the card with sometimes 3 or four of them as world championships. Boxing for the past decade, puts everything into one main event, because boxers demand too much PPV money these days, which forces the promoter to do sorry-ass undercards. If Pacquiao-Mayweather ever happens, the undercard is going to be among the worst ever, most likely because every dollar is going to go to Floyd and Manny at their insistence. Of course, no one will give a shit about the undercard if that superfight happens. But in boxing, all money goes to the main-event fighters and advertising. There is a more equal distrivution of money in smaller amounts for MMA fighters. What Dana White has left over, allows him to put on better undercards than Arum, King, or Delahoya can offer for boxing.

Jack
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (alaganza @ May 23 2011, 10:28 AM) *
I agree in concept. However, I do not see boxing stepping up to the challenge. IMO there are far more weak cards in boxing than MMA. Between the corrupt judges, promoters, and networks boxing is hurting now. Not dead by any means but hurting. I know the numbers for some PPV may suggest boxing certain PPV's are good for business. But in a long term strategic sense it's not.

I think boxing has a bad habit of holding on to old stars too long. And they promote names, not fights in many cases. At the end of the card you fill robbed.

I understand what you are saying but I think the MMA competition has forced the professional boxing industry to start improving the product. And I think that many of the young professionals are dedicated, hardworking individuals who are actually looking to fight the best.

Dusty the Organ Grinder is nearly dissolved. This has been a great year of boxing so far (excluding the Pac v The Flinch farce). I think the competition of MMA has something to do with it. Boxing has a long ways to go before it is out of the woods, but it is headed in a more positive direction recently.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ May 23 2011, 12:34 PM) *

Admin Note: Greetings Finito, in accordance with our Forum Guidelines, please provide 1-2 sentences for what the URL is about. We use this practice to help reduce spam and to make sure that people get a heads up for what they are about to see. Thanks much!

Jack

Administrator
alaganza
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 23 2011, 10:34 PM) *
I understand what you are saying but I think the MMA competition has forced the professional boxing industry to start improving the product. And I think that many of the young professionals are dedicated, hardworking individuals who are actually looking to fight the best.

Dusty the Organ Grinder is nearly dissolved. This has been a great year of boxing so far (excluding the Pac v The Flinch farce). I think the competition of MMA has something to do with it. Boxing has a long ways to go before it is out of the woods, but it is headed in a more positive direction recently.

You do make a good point sir.
Spyder
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 23 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Admin Note: Greetings Finito, in accordance with our Forum Guidelines, please provide 1-2 sentences for what the URL is about. We use this practice to help reduce spam and to make sure that people get a heads up for what they are about to see. Thanks much!

Jack

Administrator

Why not just explain how to properly post a video link?
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 23 2011, 11:17 PM) *
Why not just explain how to properly post a video link?

It's OK. I gave it the title on You Tube above. He posted the link fine. Just needs to give the title of the video or say what it is.

Jack

Administrator
Fitz
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 24 2011, 02:47 PM) *
It's OK. I gave it the title on You Tube above. He posted the link fine. Just needs to give the title of the video or say what it is.

Jack

Administrator

Yeah, but if you teach him how to post it, the 'title' will come along with it, lol.
and the NEW
I actually follow both boxing and MMA these days.

I love the fact I can now follow combat sports like a regular sports fan can follow their sport (i.e. most weekends there is generally a card of one or the other I can watch).

A football fan can watch their game most weekends (except for off-season). I can now watch combat sports (high level boxing or MMA) most weekends (whilst not as consistent as football for example, there is no off-season so it works out pretty even as far as entertainment time).
AussieLad
Some of the responses in this thread are laughable. You have meatheads in every sport. The fact is that boxing is to MMA what checkers is to chess. MMA is far more complicated and diverse in terms of strategy and execution. Boxing is just one facet of MMA, and just because a MMA fighters boxing skills appear limited when compared with a professional boxers does not mean that all of boxing elements are not encapsulated in the MMA game. Its just that A) some of boxings aspects won't work in MMA, and cool.gif a fighter must divide his time between diverse skillsets to be effective in MMA whereas boxers can specialize in a limited aspect of martial arts.

I will always love boxing, but it is a one trick pony. We are witnessing an evolution in MMA, whereas in boxing we are witnessing a partial extinction. Boxing will always exist, and it would be a fucking tragedy to lose all the knowledge trainers have accumaulate over the years. But when a superior species emerges, some evolutionary chains must face oblivion... its the natural order of things.
Fitz
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 24 2011, 05:57 PM) *
Some of the responses in this thread are laughable. You have meatheads in every sport. The fact is that boxing is to MMA what checkers is to chess. MMA is far more complicated and diverse in terms of strategy and execution. Boxing is just one facet of MMA, and just because a MMA fighters boxing skills appear limited when compared with a professional boxers does not mean that all of boxing elements are not encapsulated in the MMA game. Its just that A) some of boxings aspects won't work in MMA, and cool.gif a fighter must divide his time between diverse skillsets to be effective in MMA whereas boxers can specialize in a limited aspect of martial arts.

I will always love boxing, but it is a one trick pony. We are witnessing an evolution in MMA, whereas in boxing we are witnessing a partial extinction. Boxing will always exist, and it would be a fucking tragedy to lose all the knowledge trainers have accumaulate over the years. But when a superior species emerges, some evolutionary chains must face oblivion... its the natural order of things.

I agree with the gist of your post, but you comparing boxing to checkers and making boxing sound one dimensional is ignorant at it's absolute best.

I'm not even saying that boxing is more skilled, better or anything like that for the record. I think they both require a lot of skill, but a couple of your statements are just as ignorant as the ones you are accusing others of.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 24 2011, 02:57 AM) *
Some of the responses in this thread are laughable.

You have meatheads in every sport.

The fact is that boxing is to MMA what checkers is to chess. MMA is far more complicated and diverse in terms of strategy and execution.

We are witnessing an evolution in MMA, whereas in boxing we are witnessing a partial extinction.

But when a superior species emerges, some evolutionary chains must face oblivion... its the natural order of things.

None more than yours Aussielad.

Sure you do...but I think you would not argue the fact that you have a higher number of "meat head" fans for the WWE than their are for College level wrestling?

Same with MMA as compared to Boxing. NOW....why that is...I could not tell you, but from my observation at least here in TX...that seems to be the case.

I also think the checkers/Chess line is BS too. IF anything it's the opposite. It's a hell of a lot harder to figure out how to beat an opponent with just your fists and not with f'n dragon kicks and strangle holds and all of that shit.

About the only part of your statement I agree with is the "partial extinction"....Boxing has without a doubt isolated itself into a niche sport due to it's greed.

"But when a superior species emerges, some evolutionary chains must face oblivion... its the natural order of things."

NOW THAT is laughable! You make MMA out to be some type of God-Like Olympic sport that is ushering in a new dawn of man...lol

Honestly one of the MAJOR reasons for MMA's level of popularity is due to boxing's own self destructive tactics. And the amounts of money made at MMA STILL shadow in comparison to any mega fight boxing puts up.

I'm not defending boxing, but I am arguing your rational for MMA's popularity and the level to which you seem to think it has reached and where it is going.

From the time it started to take hold you have to admit there is a HUGE "fad" element to it. From cookie cutter "MMA schools" that supposedly churn out MMA fighters, to every one and his brother under 30 or so wanting to desperatly be like their favorite MMA star.....it's that level of fandom we are talking about and it looks a LOT like the WWE crowd.

AND...in relation to your Darwinian example....keep in mind that over time MMA would self-destruct just as Boxing has, because at the end of the day the greed will alter it....just as it did boxing....so don't act as if MMA is immune...it's not.

Although I myself do NOT like MMA, I don't dislike those that love it...to each his own...but for me...it comes down to this.

Remember when you were a kid and you were going to get in a fight, and so all the kids gathered around and you and the opponent laid down some ground rules...usually something along the line of "no kicks, no ball grabbing"...etc.

For me that still resonates....I don't care to see a fight where it does not matter how good a man's chin is or his heart....if he gets grabbed just right he gets his arm broken or choked out...or a flying dragon kick to the head.... thumbsdown_anim.gif

All that shit does is mean that anybody is capable of getting lucky no matter how crappy their skill....or how good their opponent is....if it lands just right or the choke or bone breaking lock is on....none of that matters...

That's the aspect that kills it for me.
Snoop
After studying a bit of Jiu-Jitsu, I have a new found appreciation for MMA, but it's very naive and simplistic to deduce boxing to "checkers" just because it is categorized in one type of martial art. Does that mean Jiu-Jitsu compared to MMA is also "checkers to chess" simply because they are amalgamating a bunch of different styles into one sport?

There is infinite diversity of honing skills in a sport like boxing and if anything, it's much harder to become a master in one than a novice in many.
FinitoElDinamita
I must have missed something but Ricardo Mayorga doesnt like MMA and Nick Diaz at all... Here's what he had to say shortly after the Hopkins' fight...
IT's raw and uncut. lolz..

Ricardo Mayorga is not a happy man… and he wants you to know all about it in only the way he can communicate, which is not exactly commendable.

"MMA putos challenge cripples like Lacy and Hippos like Toney- i will end the debate with my right fist. If not Diaz, I want that chubby BJ. MMA was created by homosexuals who were looking for an excuse to rollover and mount each other and call it fighting. Boxeo is for real men. I grew up with gangs in streets of Managua- we fought with fists, knifes and machetes but never rolled around with men – that is gay.
That fat bald puto doesn’t want me to come and take his livelihood away. He deals with old hippos like Toney. I have scars from battle – women give birth to real men in nicaragua. After I splatter him, I will put a hawaiin dress on that maricon and make him to the hula hula dance- he’s no match for me. I encourage u all to see the video of me pimp slapping and knocking out Din Thomas – I am finished with you MMA maricons now. Look at my tweets or go to YouTube , his manager told my compa that he was so scared that he cried like a woman later.
Real men fight- maricons roll on ground and wrestle. Boxeo is número UNO! Tell BJ to box me- after I KO him, I will put him not in a body bag but in a condom so he can think that’s where he shud have stayed.
If MMA is so tough why is this bitch Nick Diaz fighting Lacy. My crippled grandmother would KO Lacy! BOXEO = NUMERO UNO! I had a good run 5 miles. Now Im going to slap a chicken and make it give me fresh eggs. should i call it Nick Diaz or BJ? I smacked this pollo so that it could lay some eggs but it s*** itself. so i will name it Din Thomas the next slaughter i call diaz or bj.
In boxeo- 46 yr old legend can be campeon- in MMA Coture mounts a fat hippo Toney and claims greatness. MMA is for dumb maricons.
I am ready. I have company in Managua which will supply free body bags. this is easy, I will even smoke cigar when they announce me.
BJ, you want to box with me or you are another MMA maricon who wants to roll around with other sweaty maricons? after I KO you, I will put a hawaiin dress on u fatty and make u do hula hula dance- remember Im a real fighter puto.
My compa just tell me that that maricon nick Diaz pissed himself and withdrew from boxing with a shot bum Lacy. I’d have killed this puto. Change of heart? He needs a change of sex- maricon! After I challenge him, this puto runs away from boxing.
Dana White, this bald puto wont say a word-i am not a fat hippo like Toney. He says smthn he will get slapped. baldie is smart. I hear all these MMA girls serve that bald puto Dana White he is a nobody- I’m a real man. Tapout is good name- after I hit this maricons, they tapout- boxeo has no tap out- we are warriors not maricons.
BJ, he is not man enough to step in the ring with me. ill kick your gordo culo chubby, ask ur daddy Dana White to let you in the ring with me. in 2 minutes, i will show u what i do. i give u payday. in ur sport that bald puto takes your $ and gives u change. you are a nobody I am the campeon maricon. After I kick you I will be confused where to kick you because your face looks like a gordo culo. step up and get in the ring. Toney is a fat hippo like this maricon BJ. Ask him to fight me in the ring. NO GLOVES. I give him a big payday. Like he did with that bum from Jersey. This fat maricon is shot. he is a nobody. I am the campeon. This fatty doesnt have the courage to fight me, boxing donated a fat hippo toney to ufc- now return favor- i want BJ.
I am finish with these maricons, first that fake latina NIck Diaz, now this fat puto BJ- these are cowards who dont want to fight a real man! Boxing gave UFC a FAT HIPPO- Toney, Now I want a FAT HIPPO back. Give me this gordo maricon BJ Penn, Its a fair deal. what happened to BJ Penn? that fat tub of shit ran away like that other pendejo NIck. Come to my world and fight me like a man maricon. In a street fight only homosexuals crawl and mount each other and roll on top of each other. Real Man knocks the puto out. fight like a man. BOXEO numero UNO MARICON! remember this pendejo. u punks growing up in america shouldnt talk street fights with a kid from Managua. MMA maricons want to fight with hippos like Toney. Give me that chubby hippo BJ Penn and I’ll slaughter him. If BJ Penn wants to fight, I pay for his testicle implant and his funeral. this is boxeo maricon! numero uno VIVA NICARAGUA! these guys are pendejos. they fight like maricons and that bald puto Dana White takes their money. if they want to fight like a man, lets go.
Jenna Jameson, I am see a movie of you- that fat puto Ron Jermy give it to u nice.
MMA is for fags and maricons who can’t box or fight like a man- they are homo who want to roll on ground wearing panties. I repeat- world of boxing donated MMA a fat hippo named toney- time to pay back- give me fatty BJ Penn. If I don’t knock him out cold in 2 minutes, him and that bald puto Dana can keep all the money. I grew up fighting in the streets of Managua, we fought with machetes or fists like real men- not rolling around mounting men like fags. I know puto” they will beg me to spare their lives. U maricons have no idea where I come from.
Nick Diaz bitched out of a fight with a crippled shot bum- I’d have probably killed him in a boxing match. And that mas puto el gordo maricon BJ – once I hit him in the stomach he will vomit all the pigs he consumes. MMA is a like gay porn- fight me like man puto, real man- I challenge BJ the Bloated Pig to box me- I will kill him in 2 min. I am sick and tired of you maricons- ask BJ the fat pig to box me or that puto Diaz who is a disgrace to Latinos."

Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2011, 04:07 AM) *
I agree with the gist of your post, but you comparing boxing to checkers and making boxing sound one dimensional is ignorant at it's absolute best.

I'm not even saying that boxing is more skilled, better or anything like that for the record. I think they both require a lot of skill, but a couple of your statements are just as ignorant as the ones you are accusing others of.

QUOTE (Snoop @ May 24 2011, 12:04 PM) *
After studying a bit of Jiu-Jitsu, I have a new found appreciation for MMA, but it's very naive and simplistic to deduce boxing to "checkers" just because it is categorized in one type of martial art. Does that mean Jiu-Jitsu compared to MMA is also "checkers to chess" simply because they are amalgamating a bunch of different styles into one sport?

There is infinite diversity of honing skills in a sport like boxing and if anything, it's much harder to become a master in one than a novice in many.

Word.

Shame on you Aussielad... nono.gif
AussieLad
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2011, 08:07 AM) *

I can walk into a cage and, if i choose too, box in its purest sense. I can do everything in the MMA cage that a boxer can do between the ropes. I can also kick, choke, elbow, knee, wrestle, and use submissions. It is essentially the same thing as boxing, only with more variety in the moves, therefore more strategy overall depending on where i want the fight to go. It is essentially the same as checkers vs chess. You have your checkers pieces (punches), similar to pawns on the chess board, and then you have your rooks nights and bishops (your other aspects of MMA). MMA encapsulates boxing. Boxing is a subset of MMA...

I never said boxing is simple, hence my reference to MMA fighters punch skills seeming limited in comparison to a pure boxers. Its just a matter of how much time you can devote to any one aspect of the sport.

You can choose to get your knickers in a knot over the statement, but i stand by it
AussieLad
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 24 2011, 04:04 PM) *

Yes, JJ is a subset of MMA. ok.gif
King Eugene
Same thread different month. They are two different sports and there is enough room in this world for both sports. Both has ignorant fans and both have respectable knowlegable fans. Boxing isn't taking a backseat though. MMA is going its on direction as boxing is going its on way. MMA is more consistant but boxings big events make up for its inconsistancy. I'd watch Floyd vs. Pac before I'd watch Silva vs. St. Pierre but I'd still want to see them both.
Snoop
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 24 2011, 10:00 PM) *
Yes, JJ is a subset of MMA. ok.gif

It sounds like you're associating different pieces with different styles of fighting, whereas for me the different moves within each style represents different pieces. All the elements of chess can be found in just one style of fighting. In boxing, can't you predict many steps ahead? Control the center? Sacrifice a position for a better position? It's a simplistic to conclude more styles = more complicated, unless of course your depth of knowledge in either sport is shallow, or you don't know much about chess.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 25 2011, 01:01 AM) *
It sounds like you're associating different pieces with different styles of fighting, whereas for me the different moves within each style represents different pieces. All the elements of chess can be found in just one style of fighting. In boxing, can't you predict many steps ahead? Control the center? Sacrifice a position for a better position? It's a simplistic to conclude more styles = more complicated, unless of course your depth of knowledge in either sport is shallow, or you don't know much about chess.

I am reasonably good at chess... LOL

The chess reference is an analogy, and analogies rarely fit any one example perfectly, so i wont bother debating that.

Of course there are different strategies that can be employed within each sport. Neither sport is easy.

Look at it this way. Tomorow a new sport takes the world by storm Its called Jabbing. It has the exact same scoring system, rules, rounds etc as boxing. The only difference is that you can only jab with your lead hand. No crosses, no hooks, no uppercuts. Everything else is the same. Essentially the sport of Jabbing is a subset of boxing.

Now, i would like to hear your argument about how this sport is just as complicated as boxing.

To me, if i were a boxer and not a Jabber, it would be a case of "If fighter A does this move, i have a range of options to choose from, so i choose this counter". But if i can only jab, that eliminates alot of these options. I no longer have such a wide array of counters to deal with, or to offer in return to my opponents attack, and so my game plan that i want to use in the fight therefore becomes simpler. Less variables to deal with

But i am sure you can justify the complexity of this new sport of Jabbing so that is boxings equal. I look forward to your response
AussieLad
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 25 2011, 01:26 AM) *
Gaelic football is chess and NFL/Rugby/AFL is checkers.

Gaelic football you incorporate rugby, soccer, afl. You use more skills as you can mark, dribble the ball, and you can score goals like in soccer or afl/rugby/NFL. So it clearly requires more skill and more depth. I stand by this.

Fitz i dont follow any of those sports, never have never will. So i cant really comment

However, i will say this. If in Gaelic football i can come out and choose to just use my socccer skills, or solely use my rugby skills, or solely use unadulterated NFL, and play an entire game that way... and if the reverse is also true (ie i can't use all of my Gaelic football skills in any of those other sports) then yes, the skillset in Gaelic Football is more diverse. In MMA i can soley use boxing, or solely use wrestling, or solely use JJ for the entire fight... if i choose too. I however cannot use boxing in a pure wrestling contest. I cannot use all my JJ skills in a boxing contest. I can use a bit of wrestling in boxing if my name is Ricky Hatton... but i can't shoot in for a double leg take down legally. Its not that hard a thought process to follow... surely

To me, when confronted by a work process problem, i want to reduce complexity as much as possible to produce the most efficient and consistent solution. To reduce complexity, i try to minimize the number of variables effecting the outcome. By reducing variables, i reduce the number of end states, and therefore i end up reducing complexity. There are more variables in MMA, hence more potential end states, hence it is a more complex process.
The CEO
I've followed MMA pretty closely since 1993...I can say I enjoy a Quality MMA bout almost as much as a Quality Boxing match....

BUT.....MMA DOES have younger/more meatheaded fans than Boxing...

That's all I'm adding...lol...pretty sure Warlord and Aussie can agree on that as they are older, educated MMA fans like myself...
BGv2.0
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 25 2011, 07:53 AM) *
I've followed MMA pretty closely since 1993...I can say I enjoy a Quality MMA bout almost as much as a Quality Boxing match....

BUT.....MMA DOES have younger/more meatheaded fans than Boxing...

That's all I'm adding...lol...pretty sure Warlord and Aussie can agree on that as they are older, educated MMA fans like myself...

You know I honestly think that the early start of MMA is what put me off....although I'm not a fan of MMA syle with kicks and chokes and all that....I remember WAY BACK...in 93 or so....seeing Emmuel Yarborrow getting his eyeball just about kicked out, and it just made me almost hurl.

That was back when it was the F'N wild, wild west......lol

I know they have really cleaned it up since then...but by that time the damage was done as far as me ever being a fan.
Snoop
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 25 2011, 07:46 AM) *

The chess reference is an analogy, and analogies rarely fit any one example perfectly, so i wont bother debating that.
Of course there are different strategies that can be employed within each sport. Neither sport is easy.

Look at it this way. Tomorow a new sport takes the world by storm Its called Jabbing. It has the exact same scoring system, rules, rounds etc as boxing. The only difference is that you can only jab with your lead hand. No crosses, no hooks, no uppercuts. Everything else is the same. Essentially the sport of Jabbing is a subset of boxing.

Now, i would like to hear your argument about how this sport is just as complicated as boxing.

To me, if i were a boxer and not a Jabber, it would be a case of "If fighter A does this move, i have a range of options to choose from, so i choose this counter". But if i can only jab, that eliminates alot of these options. I no longer have such a wide array of counters to deal with, or to offer in return to my opponents attack, and so my game plan that i want to use in the fight therefore becomes simpler. Less variables to deal with

But i am sure you can justify the complexity of this new sport of Jabbing so that is boxings equal. I look forward to your response

That's my point, the chess analogy is used incorrectly.You're saying because there are more styles incorporated into MMA, it is therefore more complicated than boxing and therefore a superior set of skills. By that logic, if you threw in a MMA fighter into the boxing ring, in theory it should be a simpler fight and the MMA fighter should easily dominate, yet that is clearly untrue. Having elements taken away from you makes a game just as difficult as having more elements given.

Now of course the same is true if you throw in a boxer into the cage, but it's not because the boxer is subordinate or a simpler athlete to the MMA fighter (like a checkers player would be to a chess player), it is because it is a completely different game, with completely different rules and therefore a completely different argument.

In regards to your example of "Jabbing", you're throwing the jabber into a boxing match and asking the question, who is better at a boxing match: a jabber or a boxer? Of course the boxer would be, just as a "Jabber" would more than likely be better than a boxer in "Jabbing". So to translate that to your example of MMA, is your assumption of MMA being chess and boxing being checkers based on the assumption that we are evaluating the two on a MMA standard of competition? Who would win in a "real world" fight? See, again, that's a completely different argument.

The whole thing came out when someone accused MMA fans being "meatheads" and you coming to the contrary by saying "MMA is more complicated" and comparing it to chess and checkers. My argument is that they are both sophisiticated sports within the context of their own rules so it doesn't make one simpler or more difficult to understand.
Spyder
Does anyone else notice how "small penis" minded the MMA fans get when you point out any unflattering aspect about it?

laugh.gif

The sport should speak for itself. When you know you're a Gangster, you don't have to say shit.
Maxy
Not a fan of MMA, never will be, never have been even remotely interested in it. Sad if people are becoming MMA fans at the expense of becoming boxing fans but it's a tragic fact that young people today are all about a quick fix. Fuck em.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 25 2011, 07:29 PM) *
Not a fan of MMA, never will be, never have been even remotely interested in it. Sad if people are becoming MMA fans at the expense of becoming boxing fans but it's a tragic fact that young people today are all about a quick fix. Fuck em.

Looked forward to your thoughts on this thread! Little surprised at the restraint.
Snoop
In terms of the "meat head" fan comment, I think there are probably more "meat heads" fans in MMA than there are in boxing, not because the sport is unsophisiticated, but because it holds more of the "NO HOLDS BARRED BLOOD FEST FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!" feel to it so it tends to draw in the fans who favor brutality over technique, or "meatheads". Doesn't mean there isn't technique or art in the sport, it just seems like less fans appreciate the art in MMA than the fans do in boxing. That and the whole thing is moving towards more of a WWE type marketing with fighters coming to the ring out from the mouth of a huge metal dragon n shit like that.

gravytrain
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 25 2011, 03:46 AM) *

have you ever actually tried only jabbing with someone? it's harder in the ring than it's on paper. you've to really set some traps to open people up to landing a scoring punch.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.