Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins best modern performance?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Ok, it feels like Hopkins has continued to have some great performances at the tail end of his career. Which one is the most special from all of them? For me I think Tarver, Pavlik and Pascal are all very close and all for kind of different reasons.

Tarver: He was a big underdog in this fight, he was coming off 2 losses against Taylor, and jumping straight to 175 to fight Tarver, the guy considered to be the man, and won the fight in dominating fashion and something nobody expected.

Pavlik: Another big underdog in this fight, and coming off a loss against Calzaghe. I think this was Hopkins finest performance. I think the performance he put on this night was probably more impressive than all of his other fights, and didn't do a thing wrong. It was against the guy that was now undisputed middleweight champion and knocked out the guy that took that title away from Hopkins.
I suppose the down side on this is that it was at a catch weight, no title and Pavlik was moving up (not that I think it mattered).

Pascal I: I was a huge fan of this performance despite the result being a draw, I think we saw a great performance that night regardless of the end result. I really liked seeing Hopkins go over to someone back yard, and the chips were down big time for him here. He was dropped twice and was trailing BIG after the first 4 rounds at least. For him to keep his composure and come back the way he did is one of the great performances.

Pascal II: Another great fight, Hopkins goes back to his back yard and brings the title home. He was very good in this fight, he was hit hard and hurt a couple of times (more than he was in the first fight, despite not getting dropped here) and still able to do his thing.

I'm not sure about this. For me it could be any of those 3 fights, depending on what you liked. Pavlik was his best performance, but Tarver and Pascal had more at stake and more relevant I think. I could probably flip a coin for any of those, but I may go with the Pascal because it was in someone's back yard, he was setting history to become the oldest champion ever.
I really like all of those performance and finding it hard to pick one clearly, though I will go with Hopkins and Pascal II just edging it.
I would have picked the first fight if Hopkins got the decision, but all very hard fights to pick from.

I put the Wright fight on there anyways, though I don't expect people to vote for it. Though I personally liked the Wright performance, though wasn't as good as the other ones.
FinitoElDinamita
It's dead close between Tarver and Pavlik but considering the circumstances going into the bouts, I lean towards the Tarver victory.
Method
I picked Tarver because the Pavlik fight pretty much played out as I expected. Well, I expected him to win all of 'em, but The Tarver fight was bad ass, as Tarver had talked SO MUCH SHIT over the years, and had starched Jones, etc.

The press tour was bad ass, when both of them appeared together on Jim Rome, and then the weigh in was absolute gangster, when Tarver tried to give Hopkins his back, and Ex walked around to the other side and got up in Tarver's face. The whole thing was just bad ass.

My other favorite Hopkins' performances were Echols, Johnson, Trinidad and DLH.

Beating Wright was underrated too, but whatever.
neophyte7
I am going to go with Pascal II.. Hopkins had to come take the title and he did. he even weathered some hard shots and got the job done. The right hands he delivered to produce Knockdowns that were not called were beauties... This guy is a boxing immortal for sure after the Pascal II performance
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 23 2011, 04:53 PM) *
Ok, it feels like Hopkins has continued to have some great performances at the tail end of his career. Which one is the most special from all of them? For me I think Tarver, Pavlik and Pascal are all very close and all for kind of different reasons.

Tarver: He was a big underdog in this fight, he was coming off 2 losses against Taylor, and jumping straight to 175 to fight Tarver, the guy considered to be the man, and won the fight in dominating fashion and something nobody expected.

Pavlik: Another big underdog in this fight, and coming off a loss against Calzaghe. I think this was Hopkins finest performance. I think the performance he put on this night was probably more impressive than all of his other fights, and didn't do a thing wrong. It was against the guy that was now undisputed middleweight champion and knocked out the guy that took that title away from Hopkins.
I suppose the down side on this is that it was at a catch weight, no title and Pavlik was moving up (not that I think it mattered).

Pascal I: I was a huge fan of this performance despite the result being a draw, I think we saw a great performance that night regardless of the end result. I really liked seeing Hopkins go over to someone back yard, and the chips were down big time for him here. He was dropped twice and was trailing BIG after the first 4 rounds at least. For him to keep his composure and come back the way he did is one of the great performances.

Pascal II: Another great fight, Hopkins goes back to his back yard and brings the title home. He was very good in this fight, he was hit hard and hurt a couple of times (more than he was in the first fight, despite not getting dropped here) and still able to do his thing.

I'm not sure about this. For me it could be any of those 3 fights, depending on what you liked. Pavlik was his best performance, but Tarver and Pascal had more at stake and more relevant I think. I could probably flip a coin for any of those, but I may go with the Pascal because it was in someone's back yard, he was setting history to become the oldest champion ever.
I really like all of those performance and finding it hard to pick one clearly, though I will go with Hopkins and Pascal II just edging it.
I would have picked the first fight if Hopkins got the decision, but all very hard fights to pick from.

I put the Wright fight on there anyways, though I don't expect people to vote for it. Though I personally liked the Wright performance, though wasn't as good as the other ones.

I would have to say Pascal 2.....

Pavlik never took him in deep water.. sure Hopkins dominated the enitre fight and did anything he wanted with him,.. but Pavlik is one demnsional and Hopkins eliminated his only weapon.. his right hand... he fought lattterally never allowing pavlik to set up.....

Pascal, imo, hits harder than anyone Hopkins has ever fought.. he proved he could weather the storm and still out class the young lion...Hopkins was hurt a few times within bith fights but still managed to make it his fight...

By the 10th round I turned to my friend and said "hopkins, the smartest (in the ring) boxer of all time has had over22 rounds to figure Pascal out.... he doesn't stand a chance"...

Hopkins showed versatility, and unmatched discipline..... he didn't allow himself to mix it up like he did with taver, lest he woulda been knocked out... Even Nazim told him not to get into that young shit cuz they both knew he would get hurt...

Plus not to mention this fight was more of a milestone than tarver imo

Pascal 2 was the epitomy what Bernard Hopkins is....
Box in Hand
Hopkins is my favorite active boxer and I have been following him since he dismantled Trinidad which is still my favorite fight of all time. Now of the fights listed I have to go with this weekend's fight against Pascal because of the drama of it. Hopkins coming off a draw in another man's country goes back to the country and comes through some heavy fire power to destroy the younger man in super fashion is worth all the gold and glory, not to mention dude did fucking pushups in between rounds. Straight Gangsta!
gravytrain
it's hard to pick those since they're all good performances. i think Pascal I though. he got knocked down 2 times and on my card he still had a nice lead, dude won 9 straight rounds. if he had better refs the first time i think he would have got Pascal by a point or 2 despite the knockdowns. either way getting a draw with 2 knockdowns in Pascal's backyard while having local judges wasn't easy and you've to respect it.
King Eugene
I'm going with the Pavlik performance. It was more than just the fight to me. Hopkins played it so well. The build up was all about whether or not Pavlik was going to be the first to knock Hopkins out, not whether or not it would be competitive or if there was a possibility Hopkins would win. Negotiations went smooth, fought in Pavliks "unoffical" backyard, and no brawls during the press tour. Hopkins had just came off of a subpar performance against Calzaghe. It was suppose to be a passing of the torch fight. Well thats what they thought... Hopkins not only won but he beat Pavlik down mentally and physically! Hopkins didn't do a lot of trash talking before the fight to build it up, he gave Pavlik the up most respect. It seemed more like Hopkins was going into that fight with the mentality of a calm but very pissed off fighter for being written off the way he was. Instead of lashing out at the media and everyone else who thought he would lose he just said fuck it "I can show you better than I can tell you" and thats exactly what he done. The cherry on top was the father to son talk after the fight and starring down press row with the "and again you doubted me and AGAIN I made you all look like fools!"
thisneverworks
I can't even think about his best modern performance without first thinking about his worst...Calzaghe.

That shit was embarrassing.
SmartyBeardo
Pascal I and II should be an option.

Dude goes into Montreal and gets Knocked down twice, looks like this is the end of the line and turns the table and sons Pascal only to get pretty much robbed by the local judges. That shit was epic.

Then he returns to the young lion's lair for justice, and exacts it.

Pascal I and II are a single masterpiece that will be remembered as one of the greatest feats in boxing history. I've never been a huge BHop fan, but he is top 10 ATG in my book.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I had to go with Hopkins-Pavlik. That fight was a pure masterpiece, and Hopkins was barley touched. He dominated the middleweight champion every minute of every round. This was coming off the loss to Calzaghe, and many people though Hopkins had hit the end of the road and couldn't deal with a younger stronger champion. He proved everybody wrong, and fought one of the best fights I've ever seen.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
The Tarver fight. First time in many years at that weight. Tarver coming off a win over Jones and (ironically enough) Bernard's age made this a fight where I was kinda worried for Bernard. He schooled Tarver so bad he was left droopy eyed and dribbling asking Duddy McDirt what fucken round it was.

I suspect if you ask Bernard in many ways he may say the Pavlik fight. That seemed to mean a helluva lot to him.
King Eugene
So where do you guys list Hopkins at on your P4P list right now?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 25 2011, 08:28 PM) *
So where do you guys list Hopkins at on your P4P list right now?

Bute is a pretty good fighter not a great one. I have Pac and Donaire above him (I'm dropping PBF due to inactivity-sorry having orange pants made for a fight that hasn't happened yet doesn't make you active in my books.)

Based on age the most extraordinary fighter out there right now by a mile.
Method
1a./1b. Pac-May/May/Paq

2. B-Hop

3-10. Who cares

JMM, Donaire...Martinez....I know others rank these guys ahead of B-Hop, but Im sorry, I don't.
Sicko
out of those fights I would have to say Pavlik because a lot of people doubted him in that fight
Big Slim Sweet
I voted Pascal II. Just the significance of the event, the fact that he went into the young champion's backyard and won the crowd over, the fact that he faced some adversity in that he actually got buzzed a couple of times. And unlike Tarver and Pavlik, where in both cases he dominated so comprehensively it was almost like he knew something beforehand that no one else knew, with Pascal he fought a fast, strong guy at his optimal weight in his absolute prime, and just beat him up.

p4p I have Hopkins at 4 right now, behind Pac, May, and Sergio.
Method
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ May 26 2011, 04:36 PM) *
I voted Pascal II. Just the significance of the event, the fact that he went into the young champion's backyard and won the crowd over, the fact that he faced some adversity in that he actually got buzzed a couple of times. And unlike Tarver and Pavlik, where in both cases he dominated so comprehensively it was almost like he knew something beforehand that no one else knew, with Pascal he fought a fast, strong guy at his optimal weight in his absolute prime, and just beat him up.

p4p I have Hopkins at 4 right now, behind Pac, May, and Sergio.

I dunno, IMO, Sergio hasnt accomplished as much. I just cant rank him that high.
salvador
Hopkins was already an old man at 36 when he destroyed Tito. I know that isn't considered "modern", but it was such a masterpiece of grit and desire and need and intelligence that I can't put any of his other fights in that league. That said, Hopkins-Tarver was pretty freaking cool.
caneman
QUOTE (salvador @ May 26 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Hopkins was already an old man at 36 when he destroyed Tito. I know that isn't considered "modern", but it was such a masterpiece of grit and desire and need and intelligence that I can't put any of his other fights in that league. That said, Hopkins-Tarver was pretty freaking cool.

I voted Pavlik but Tito was his greatest win! I couldn't believe there were so many who thought Hopkins was getting Koed! I honestly don't think most knew who he was back then, off the top of my head, Method, Ron Heard & myself were the only ones that picked X til the fight was over & they came outta the woodwork really!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.