Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins Dawson?!? (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Nay_Sayer
Admin Note: We have merged topics to this thread and added a FightHype Poll. Please vote and comment!

Other than "Not so Bad" Chad Dawson, does anyone really want to see this fight?

I sure as hell don't...
Snoop
Who else would you rather see him fight?
Method
NO.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 25 2011, 12:17 PM) *
Who else would you rather see him fight?

Ward
Snoop
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 25 2011, 05:58 PM) *
Ward

Agreed that the style matchup with BHop and Dawnson would probably produce a stinker, but with Ward being tied up with the Super Six, I wonder who else is out there for Hopkins during the interim. Bute? Cloud?
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 25 2011, 07:01 PM) *
Agreed that the style matchup with BHop and Dawnson would probably produce a stinker, but with Ward being tied up with the Super Six, I wonder who else is out there for Hopkins during the interim. Bute? Cloud?

Nathan Cleverly.

Recently crowned WBO Lt heavy champ. Nathan needs a breakthrough fight. BHop will see it as very winnable to unify the division. Might also pull in a pretty decent gate in Welsh Wales
Maxy
Yeah Cleverly is a good shout. Dawson is dull as ditch water and Hopkins beats him, no worries. Cleverly would feel he can definitely win, he would take the fight in a second and Hopkins would see it as totally winnable. Whether it would appeal to the wider audience or not is debatable though.
D-MARV
Yes, I want to see it.

I still believe Chad has what it takes to be a great fighter. I want to see him prove himself!
JONdaCON817
I think Dawson stands a good chance against BHop... unlike Pascal if Dawson gets a good head start i think he'd retain the lead long enough to pull off a close decision... Hes alot quiccer and now with Manny teaching him to throw with bad intentions he might even be able get a solid win by UD.. he still has some refining to do and has to let those hands go.. his non-chalant demeanor makes him a tough sell and he appears to lacc intensity but maybe BHop can push the right buttons to piss him off and make him really let his hands go..
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 25 2011, 07:28 PM) *
Yes, I want to see it.

I still believe Chad has what it takes to be a great fighter. I want to see him prove himself!

Step one: Get revenge by beating heavily on the shadow of the fighter who took his 0, which should be easy thanks to BHop
FinitoElDinamita
No thank you. Dawson has the tools but he doesn't have the mentality, no killer instinct. He used to be a beast but got tamed after feeling Johnson's punches. HE's like HEctor Camacho, turned gunshy after tasting a real punch. BUt anyway, he's too passive to beat Bernard and he's wide open for that straight right hand which is Hops' money punch. I could even see Bernard stopping him..

This fight would be boring.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 25 2011, 01:54 PM) *
Step one: Get revenge by beating heavily on the shadow of the fighter who took his 0, which should be easy thanks to BHop

aww yes.. Lloyd youve done it again...

+1

JONdaCON817
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ May 25 2011, 02:30 PM) *
No thank you. Dawson has the tools but he doesn't have the mentality, no killer instinct. He used to be a beast but got tamed after feeling Johnson's punches. HE's like HEctor Camacho, turned gunshy after tasting a real punch. BUt anyway, he's too passive to beat Bernard and he's wide open for that straight right hand which is Hops' money punch. I could even see Bernard stopping him..

This fight would be boring.

thats why i hope Hopkins pisses him off enough to make him wanna let his hands go.. and we kno BHop has the mouth to do it....
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ May 25 2011, 12:50 PM) *
thats why i hope Hopkins pisses him off enough to make him wanna let his hands go.. and we kno BHop has the mouth to do it....

Hopefully that would make Chad more aggressive.. Yup, bernard can surely get inside that fragile mind of Dawson.. I remember when Chad first came into the scene, many people questioned whether he was suffering from some sort of medical condition because of all his stuttering.. IT's nothing to laugh at if that was true, but, it turned out that he just lacks personality and is unable to speak properly. So imagine how much Hopkins would grill him about something like that. lol.. Hops would dog him so much leading up to the fight and chad wouldnt be able to take it because he doesnt know how to retaliate.

An agressive Dawson VS Hopkins would be interesting.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ May 25 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Hopefully that would make Chad more aggressive.. Yup, bernard can surely get inside that fragile mind of Dawson.. I remember when Chad first came into the scene, many people questioned whether he was suffering from some sort of medical condition because of all his stuttering.. IT's nothing to laugh at if that was true, but, it turned out that he just lacks personality and is unable to speak properly. So imagine how much Hopkins would grill him about something like that. lol.. Hops would dog him so much leading up to the fight and chad wouldnt be able to take it because he doesnt know how to retaliate.

An agressive Dawson VS Hopkins would be interesting.

lol.. thatd be hilarious...

I guess you can rule out a Dawson vs Hopkins face off....lol
Sicko
GIVE ME DAWSON BY UD!!!

Younger Hopkins would DESTROY DAWSON but right now I think Dawson will be TOO FAST, TOO QUICK and TOO SLICK for the old man...but you can never count out B-Hop the LEGEND!

But I think Fast & Athletic guys is actually Hopkins weakness...like Jermaine Taylor (even though those was close fight as Hopkins was able to work his way back into those fights because everybody knows Jermaine Taylor always had STAMINA ISSUES probably worse then Pascal) and Roy Jones in his PRIME

I think Dawson makes Hopkins look HIS AGE, sure Pascal his FAST and ATHLETIC but Pascal doesn't have the BOXING SKILLS or COUNTER PUNCHING ABILITIES or Combo Punches that Dawson has

OK...before people start coming and saying "WELL HOPKINS BEAT PASCAL AND PASCAL BEAT DAWSON"...UH...BOXING DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT! The Proverbial "TRIANGLE EFFECT" is just something some fans do to try and convince themselves about certain match ups...if that is the case it is NO WAY Hopkins should have beat Pavlik...because Pavlik beat Jermaine Taylor and Hopkins lost to him (even though both fights could have went either way to be honest)

I think those fights with Glen Johnson was a great way to PREPARE Dawson for someone like Hopkins though and in the Second Fight against Johnson, Dawson really made Johnson look his age. I don't know why people are QUESTIONING Dawson's Heart and Toughness all of a Sudden, if those things were TRUE then someone like Glen Johnson would have completely exposed them. The 1st Fight no question Johnson tested the young fighter but Dawson past the test and I thought he won in a very CLOSE FIGHT...second fight Dawson showed GREAT IMPROVEMENT and DOMINATED!

Bottom Line...from a stylistic standpoint...at this point in Hopkins career...I THINK IT IS A HORRIBLE MATCH UP FOR HIM! If he wants to avoid Dawson...AGAIN! Then I would totally understand why, he is on a HIGH right now and with him being OLDER...he should be looking for the BIGGEST FIGHTS AVAILABLE! So if he can get a fight with BUTE...then YES that would be a legit reason to not fight Dawson next. If not Bute then he has to face Dawson or give up those Belts!
E.C.LEGEND
I got Chad "Too Smooth" Dawson by wide UD
Sicko
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 25 2011, 02:37 PM) *
Why not?

Who else is Hopkins going to fight with Bute and S6 fighters most likely out of the equation for the time being? Who else at 168? Is he going to fight a cruiser or a heavy? I don't see anybody else in the time being. If Hopkins wants to continue fighting, that is his next best option because personally, I don't think Bute or S6 winner is available right now.

Also, boxers fight the fights for a reason. Don't assume wins, especially when this is his next best available option at 175. Dawson was a champion, he was paid step aside money so Hopkins could get a shot at Pascal, when really, it should have been Dawson at the time, so I think Dawson deserves his shot.
That said, Dawson looked shitty on the weekend, but that doesn't matter. He is owed a shot, and there is really nobody else that comes to mind. Unless Hopkins wants to try unify against Cloud or something? Which I doubt.
That said, Dawson looked average, though I still think he has the style that will possibly give Hopkins more problems than Pascal did. Dawson deserves his shot and was promised it. I really don't see who else there is, as personally I just don't think Bute or a S6 winner will be next in line for Hopkins, they will probably get the business done in their own division first.
Unless someone wants to see Hopkins fight one of the losers from the S6?
I see Dawson giving Hopkins a very tough fight, and I think he can win it. I picked Dawson before last weekends fight, though I am not as confident in Dawson now as I was before, I still think he is a very good shot in it.

I TOTALLY AGREE! Dawson should be nice, out of respect for Hopkins, Dawson stepped aside and allowed Hopkins to get his rematch, when him and Gray Shaw probably could have took thinks to COURT and FORCE THEIR WAY INTO A REMATCH BEFORE HOPKINS!

So yes Dawson SHOULD be Hopkins next opponent...BUT people forget that Dawson has been calling out Hopkins FOR YEARS and Hopkins has NEVER HEAD ANY DESIRE TO FIGHT DAWSON! It is a reason why Hopkins did not come after those titles when Dawson was Champion, but when Pascal won...he was ready to make "HISTORY"

As for Dawson previous fight...he dominated that fight, sure he took some hits but I think he wanted to show that HE CAN STAND AND FIGHT...I personally like Dawson more when he is fighting a SLICK FIGHT instead of trying to prove to fans that he is "TOUGH", his problem is that he doesn't show enough of a Killer Instinct...he showed some against Pascal when he was making that Late Surge but he turned things up on Pascal TOO LATE...but lets not forget the Adamek fight, when Dawson was HUNGRY and was trying to get TITLES...HE WAS A BEAST! The problem is that I think he got TOO COMFORTABLE AT THE TOP! He had most of the belts in his division and he was Top 5 P4P so he probably thought "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED...It Is Nothing Left To Do" then he ran into a VERY HUNGRY PASCAL and lost. His first fight with a New Trainer I thought he looked Solid, I think the first 2 Rounds could be a GLIMPSE of what Steward is trying to turn him INTO!
King Eugene
YES!!! Thats the fight I want to see. It would be a good technical fight. Boring to most but exciting to me. I dont always care for the slug fest. Its a winnable fight for Dawson and he was promised his shot no matter how boring most think he is. You cant just give Hopkins the win off of assumption. Fight the fight. Hopkins even said he wanted Dawson next, it was Richard who said they where going to look for loop holes.
jvo1800
Honestly i dont think Chad deserves a shot at B-Hop. Chad hasnt had an impressive fight in the last couple of years while Hopkins(at age 46) is still fairly relevant and steadily adding to his legacy. I wanna see B-Hop vs Bute bottom line....thats more attractive in my opinion. Even with Manny in Chad's corner he still looked like the same fighter, not letting his hands go, not using his height and reach advantage, and just flat out not being aggressive. I dont see that combination lasting too long if Chad doesnt fight like Manny wants him to because thats how Jermain Taylor and Manny's relationship started to sour, Jermain all of sudden stopped letting his hands go in his last couple of fights with Manny then all of sudden he wasnt training him anymore.
neophyte7
Chad Dawson would be in a mentally unstable Abyss against Hopkins. His performance against Pascal was listless. He looked pathetic and based upon the looks of his showing this past weekend he does not seem at all improved under Stewart. Besides, I have been watching Emmanuel to know when he feels that one of his fighters will have a hard time with an opponent. When discussing the possibility of Dawson facing Hopkins Emmanuel looked and sounded as if he was unsure.
King Eugene
Chad not fighting tall? I dont think everyone was paying close attention to his last fight. Rarely did you see him ducking and weaving punches like he use to. He was fighting tall, using his long jab and following it with a straight left quite a bit, and not bending down as much on defense as he normally does. He let his hands go...he just wasn't reckless. Hell he's only been with Steward for 7 weeks. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mentally weak? What references do you have to suggest that? Because he is quiet and doesn't speak much? Because he's very relaxed and rarely rattled? Name a fight he was hurt and balled up like a bitch? He was coming on strong at the end of the Pascal fight until the cut, Johnson hurt him, he was more defensive but he didn't shut down like a bitch. He kept fighting. His last opponent wasn't an easy guy to look good against. Hell Pascal didn't look all that great against him. I'm sorry but I just dont see it like most of you guys do. He's EARNED his shot and deserves his fight just like the CONTRACT SAYS.
D-MARV
The hate for Dawson is incredible...

This man goes to war with Johnson and wins a very close fight (could have gone either way) and I remember everybody and there momma hating on him. He then rematches the guy and beats him easier than anybody has since Hopkins and people still shits on him. He does us all a huge favor by decisively beating Tarver twice and puts him out of any big fight and we still shit on him. He then goes to Canada and fights Pascal in another close fight which he deserved to lose but had Pascal on the brinks of being stopped yet will still claim we don't want him to fight Hopkins?

Fuck that... Dawson was suppose to get the Pascal rematch and did Hopkins a favor by stepping aside. Dawson deserves this fight. And yes... I think Dawson wins this fight!

He's not going to fight in bursts and come in all wild like Pascal did and he's not going to just march forward and throw 1-2s like Pavlik did...

Against Roy Jones, Hopkins looked like shit! He won the fight clearly, but he obviously had trouble figuring out Roy Jones. Dawson presents some of those same issues except he's fresher, taller, stronger, and throws better combos than Roy does at this stage. Dawson has a hellified jab and working with Steward will only make it better. Dawson can counter and he puts his punches together as well as anybody in the sport. This is a fight that Hopkins can lose and I think he's quite aware of this. He'll do everything he can to brain fuck Dawson before the fight but Dawson is not as retarded as some of you think.

I got Dawson by MD!
caneman
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 25 2011, 07:32 PM) *
Chad not fighting tall? I dont think everyone was paying close attention to his last fight. Rarely did you see him ducking and weaving punches like he use to. He was fighting tall, using his long jab and following it with a straight left quite a bit, and not bending down as much on defense as he normally does. He let his hands go...he just wasn't reckless. Hell he's only been with Steward for 7 weeks. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mentally weak? What references do you have to suggest that? Because he is quiet and doesn't speak much? Because he's very relaxed and rarely rattled? Name a fight he was hurt and balled up like a bitch? He was coming on strong at the end of the Pascal fight until the cut, Johnson hurt him, he was more defensive but he didn't shut down like a bitch. He kept fighting. His last opponent wasn't an easy guy to look good against. Hell Pascal didn't look all that great against him. I'm sorry but I just dont see it like most of you guys do. He's EARNED his shot and deserves his fight just like the CONTRACT SAYS.

I think Hopkins should fight Chad now too but still think he should think about retiring and going out on top! But Chad deserves his shot!
King Eugene
QUOTE (caneman @ May 25 2011, 09:26 PM) *
I think Hopkins should fight Chad now too but still think he should think about retiring and going out on top! But Chad deserves his shot!

I think he should either retire or fight Chad. Plain and simple
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 25 2011, 08:35 PM) *
100% agreed on everything. Chad has flaws, and I'm a big fan of Hopkins. But styles make fights. I also think Chad is being disrespected quite a bit as well.

I said in the other thread that style wise Dawson and Johnson could give X some troubles and believe it to be true! Never know though and that's why they fight the fights!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 25 2011, 09:35 PM) *
100% agreed on everything. Chad has flaws, and I'm a big fan of Hopkins. But styles make fights. I also think Chad is being disrespected quite a bit as well.

I'm a Dawson fan and have been one for a while. He certainly has his flaws but this is a fight that he can win!
alaganza
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 25 2011, 05:37 PM) *
Why not?

Who else is Hopkins going to fight with Bute and S6 fighters most likely out of the equation for the time being? Who else at 168? Is he going to fight a cruiser or a heavy? I don't see anybody else in the time being. If Hopkins wants to continue fighting, that is his next best option because personally, I don't think Bute or S6 winner is available right now.

Also, boxers fight the fights for a reason. Don't assume wins, especially when this is his next best available option at 175. Dawson was a champion, he was paid step aside money so Hopkins could get a shot at Pascal, when really, it should have been Dawson at the time, so I think Dawson deserves his shot.
That said, Dawson looked shitty on the weekend, but that doesn't matter. He is owed a shot, and there is really nobody else that comes to mind. Unless Hopkins wants to try unify against Cloud or something? Which I doubt.
That said, Dawson looked average, though I still think he has the style that will possibly give Hopkins more problems than Pascal did. Dawson deserves his shot and was promised it. I really don't see who else there is, as personally I just don't think Bute or a S6 winner will be next in line for Hopkins, they will probably get the business done in their own division first.
Unless someone wants to see Hopkins fight one of the losers from the S6?
I see Dawson giving Hopkins a very tough fight, and I think he can win it. I picked Dawson before last weekends fight, though I am not as confident in Dawson now as I was before, I still think he is a very good shot in it.

My thoughts exactly. Why not make the fight. It's not like it's the wrong thing to do. The guy is in line for it. Give him a go.
The Original MrFactor
Dawson/Hopkins is a pretty big fight. Depends on which Dawson shows up. If Dawson chooses to engage Hopkins, like Taylor, it could make Hopkins much more defensive and uncomfortable. The difference with Dawson is that he may be a bit more accurate than Taylor. He is bigger than taylor and just as easy to hit. However, i dont see X taking chances and willing to throw one to take one. he will wait it out and rally in the later rounds. Dawson always seems to get caught with a big shot that shakes him up, around round 8 or 9. He recovers well and comes back, which could make the late rounds interesting between these two. I see Dawson damn near sweeping the early rounds and then working hard in the late rounds to possibly get a UD or a late, late stoppage in the 12th. The old beast has shocked us before though...

As far as legacy, Bernard has moved up in my book. He has far eclipsed his contemporaries like Jones and Toney. This may be a strong statement to some, but I think Hopkins deserves to be in the conversation as one of the best ever to lace em up. SRR was great, Ali was great. No shame in putting Hopkins name up there. He has the resume. The even greater question is, when was Hopkins prime? He's 46 and fights like he 32.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 25 2011, 08:52 PM) *
I'm a Dawson fan and have been one for a while. He certainly has his flaws but this is a fight that he can win!

D-Marv i was beggining to think we were alone on this one... it warms my heart to see others have hope in Dawson.. lol. this fight is very winnable!! Hopkins is too slow and i think Dawson will be hitting harder then Pascal!!... 7 weeks with Manny is good 7 months is great, well you kno what i mean.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 26 2011, 03:36 AM) *
The even greater question is, when was Hopkins prime? He's 46 and fights like he 32.

I think Hopkins peaked in his early 30's. He was an absolute monster back then. I remember the Antwun Echols fights. Echols was probably the biggest puncher in the 160lb division back in those days. He clipped Hopkins with a monster right hand and Bernard didn't even flinch.

People tend to dismiss Hopkins' resume pre-Trinidad but Bernard was decimating guys during that time.
PR316
Hopkins will make Dawson fight. And thats what will be Chad's undoing. He just doesn't have it in him. Its that very reason why he's so defensive minded and looks to avoid anything resembling an exchange. B-Hop won't just stay outside. He'll make it a rough inside fight and FORCE Chad to fight.

Hopkins via UD.
neophyte7
QUOTE (PR316 @ May 26 2011, 11:38 AM) *
Hopkins will make Dawson fight. And thats what will be Chad's undoing. He just doesn't have it in him. Its that very reason why he's so defensive minded and looks to avoid anything resembling an exchange. B-Hop won't just stay outside. He'll make it a rough inside fight and FORCE Chad to fight.

Hopkins via UD.

I agree. Hopkins boxes, infights, moves... his last two bouts against a guy with more speed and power than Dawson he looked tremendous. Dawson can't infight worth shit and he will have to do so against Hopkins.
Sicko
Let the DOUBTERS KEEP DOUBTING DAWSON!

I don't want to hear SH!T about Hopkins "AGE" if Dawson beats him though and how Dawson beat another OLD FIGHTER because I notice a lot of Boxing Fans as well as Reports/Writers contradict themselves A LOT

Right now people are saying how Hopkins will do "THIS OR THAT TO DAWSON" but if Dawson dominates him they will back peddle and try to use his AGE AS AN EXCUSE

I always thought regardless of who would have won out of Hopkins vs Pascal, I already had Dawson beating either one by UD...But...We Shall See! I think Dawson is getting hated on really for NO REASON

YEAH...SHAME ON YOU DAWSON for using your SPEED ADVANTAGE and for you actually USING YOUR DEFENSE...HOW DARE YOU...THAT IS NOT WHAT BOXING IS ABOUT, you should stand and fight and throw wild punches until someone goes down...hahaha

Dawson don't need to change ANYTHING he does to really be honest, all he needs is BETTER OPPONENTS that can actually make him FIGHT and bring the best out of him like maybe Hopkins or maybe even Tavorius Cloud, but Slow Flat Footed Robotic guys like Diaconu...will always have a tough time against someone as SKILLED as Dawson...BOTTOM LINE...you put Dawson against a "BRAWLER" then it is going to be a VERY BORING and ONE SIDED MATCH!

Similar to what you see from Ward in the Super Six and why people always call him Boring...OF COURSE the fight is going to be boring when it is ONE GUY DOMINATING and they other guy is having a tough time just landing ONE CLEAN PUNCH...uh...Boxers are not suppose to "LET THEIR OPPONENT HIT THEM" but apparently some Boxing Fans think that it is the fighters JOB TO ALLOW HIS OPPONENT TO HIT HIM...What a bunch of IDIOTS! Your not a Warrior when you take a bunch of punches to the face...YOUR A IDIOT for not ducking or moving or at least putting your GUARD UP dry.gif
Method
QUOTE (Sicko @ May 26 2011, 02:52 PM) *
Let the DOUBTERS KEEP DOUBTING DAWSON!

I don't want to hear SH!T about Hopkins "AGE" if Dawson beats him

Hahahaha. Please.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Method @ May 26 2011, 02:19 PM) *
Hahahaha. Please.

My sentiments exactly.

Dawson has gotten progressively worse since leaving Mayweather. He may have every physical advantage over Bernard, but, as we saw in the Pascal fight - Dawson falls apart when presented with adversity and he can't get things going his way.

Ole' man Hopkins takes Dawson out into the deep waters and drowns him.
neophyte7
Someone mentioned Dawson dominating Hopkins.. please.. he didn't dominate his last opponent in a tune up. No way he dominates Hopkins
Method
I'm just saying, at 36, 40, 42 etc. I would oblige you on the "I don't wanna hear shit about Hopkins age", but at this point, he's 46+ fighting guys TWENTY YEARS younger, in their physical primes. I hate to say it, but AGE (and hence, athleticism), is the only equalizer here. I'm not building excuses or whatever, that's just the reality of it at this point.

I have seen Hopkins get hit (and hurt) like he was versus Pasal (see fights w Mercado, Echols, Vanderpool, Allen). I'm not saying he got hurt in all of them (mainly Vanderpool, Mercado1), but he HAS been tagged before. Just not as much lately.

Truth is, when you step up your offense, you are naturally going to leave yourself open to be hit.

More than anything, what I noticed about Hopkins is this particular fight - he looked a little softer than normal. Still in shape....but just not as cut up. You have to wonder if that's because of age at this point. I dunno.
neophyte7
Muscle tone and definition is harder to maintain as we get older...
Big Slim Sweet
I want to see it. It's the biggest fight at light heavyweight by far.
Method
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 26 2011, 04:12 PM) *
Muscle tone and definition is harder to maintain as we get older...

...and hence the "age factor"
caneman
BHop posted this on his facebook! http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/05/hopkin...ext/#more-67587
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Method @ May 26 2011, 04:02 PM) *
I'm just saying, at 36, 40, 42 etc. I would oblige you on the "I don't wanna hear shit about Hopkins age", but at this point, he's 46+ fighting guys TWENTY YEARS younger, in their physical primes. I hate to say it, but AGE (and hence, athleticism), is the only equalizer here. I'm not building excuses or whatever, that's just the reality of it at this point.

I have seen Hopkins get hit (and hurt) like he was versus Pasal (see fights w Mercado, Echols, Vanderpool, Allen). I'm not saying he got hurt in all of them (mainly Vanderpool, Mercado1), but he HAS been tagged before. Just not as much lately.

Truth is, when you step up your offense, you are naturally going to leave yourself open to be hit.

More than anything, what I noticed about Hopkins is this particular fight - he looked a little softer than normal. Still in shape....but just not as cut up. You have to wonder if that's because of age at this point. I dunno.

I think he looked softer due to the weight. Didnt he come in at 187 or so. Is that the heaviest he's fought? If he were fighting at 168, he'd look a bit leaner.
Sicko
QUOTE (Method @ May 26 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Hahahaha. Please.

yeah OK...but I already know that is going to be EXCUSE..."DAWSON BEAT ANOTHER OLD FIGHTER" people used Johnson age against him despite the fact that Johnson went on to give Cloud a tough time and then he destroyed Allan Green and I also expect him to give Froch a very tough time so defeating Johnson is not looking all that bad on Dawson's Resume right now

but we shall see, I THINK Dawson beat Hopkins by UD I thought that even 2 years ago when Dawson was calling him out then, I think Dawson Speed, Athleticism and Size will give him MAJOR PROBLEMS!

Again I am a huge fan of Hopkins as well, I was very happy to see him make History and I wouldn't have a problem with him beat Dawson but realistically I just feel that at this time in his career that this is a BAD FIGHT FOR HIM! But I would probably pick him to beat any other fighter at 175 (Cloud, Cleverly) guys who are not as fast or as skilled and defensive as Dawson but I just think Dawson style is horrible fit for B-Hop

if it was Hopkins in his PRIME, this wouldn't even be a DEBATE...Hopkins would DESTROY Dawson!

and to be honest it really has NOTHING TO DO WITH AGE, to me it has more to do with STYLES!
Col Reb
I have no interest in this fight. I just wish BHOP would move up and fight Toney or fight for a cruiser belt..
caneman
QUOTE (Col Reb @ May 26 2011, 08:05 PM) *
I have no interest in this fight. I just wish BHOP would move up and fight Toney or fight for a cruiser belt..

BHop be too small @ 200 lbs...something Toney couldn't weigh if if he cut off both legs and his man boobs! If it came to that I'd rather see him retire which as I have said I think he should do anyhow but Dawson works! Calslappy would be a dream!
King Eugene
If BHop really wants to do something impressive. Convince good ol Calzaghe out of retirement and fight him in Wales.
caneman
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 26 2011, 08:46 PM) *
If BHop really wants to do something impressive. Convince good ol Calzaghe out of retirement and fight him in Wales.

To do that and actually beat he sure would!
King Eugene
QUOTE (caneman @ May 26 2011, 09:52 PM) *
To do that and actually beat he sure would!

Funny thing is the hard part is talking him out of retirement.

To Joe's credit though he said he attempt to train again and it just wasn't in his heart so he said to hell with it. Oh well...would be nice though.
Jack 1000
No. Chad Dawson bores me to tears most of the time. And the styles of these boxes would produce a God-Awful chess match. Too bad Lucien is tied into the Super-Six, because I would LOVE to see a Hopkins-Bute fight!

Dawson is about as exciting to watch as Michael Nunn. Remember how ESPN (Al Bernstein) used to rave about him on the old Top Rank Boxing Series? (Which I miss in a big way,) Than Michael would "Run like a Nunn." That reminds me of Chad Dawson. Not so much in terms of boxing skills, but in terms of lack of excitability. Seems to be a nice dude. However, I wish someone would get him in an exciting fight. PLEEEZE!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.