Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should boxing rules & regulations be revamped
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Harvey
This topic I believe should be taken in consideration for the good of boxing with all the noise between boxing camps,promoters,money split,prize fighters,pay per veiw, it's putting a damper on boxing.I believe boxers should be stripped of their belts if not taking on the next top fighter in their division with in a certian lenth of time and on the money split it should be 60/40 in all title fights with the belt holder getting the 60 percent nomatter who you are and all fighters should take a drug test two weeks before fight and no boxing camps can dictate glove sizes or anything of the fight for advantage their is just one standerd size glove depending on witch division your in and in floyds case if you are a inactive fighter or so call retiring with or with out belt the 60 split goes to the active fighter on top nomatter what the only way you can hold on to a belt is if you retire or keep winning no sitting on belts into you see fit to fight with a set up like this fighters should fight at least three times a year if not more it seems harsh but if your in the warrior game be in it or get out.(WHAT DO YOU THINK)
Harvey
QUOTE (Harvey @ May 25 2011, 01:16 PM) *
This topic I believe should be taken in consideration for the good of boxing with all the noise between boxing camps,promoters,money split,prize fighters,pay per veiw, it's putting a damper on boxing.I believe boxers should be stripped of their belts if not taking on the next top fighter in their division with in a certian lenth of time and on the money split it should be 60/40 in all title fights with the belt holder getting the 60 percent nomatter who you are and all fighters should take a drug test two weeks before fight and no boxing camps can dictate glove sizes or anything of the fight for advantage their is just one standerd size glove depending on witch division your in and in floyds case if you are a inactive fighter or so call retiring with or with out belt the 60 split goes to the active fighter on top nomatter what the only way you can hold on to a belt is if you retire or keep winning no sitting on belts into you see fit to fight with a set up like this fighters should fight at least three times a year if not more it seems harsh but if your in the warrior game be in it or get out.(WHAT DO YOU THINK)

I forgot to add and if a fighter has a illegitmate knock down it should be reviewed and takend of their record and with the score cards and I believe thats a whole different problem and seems to be corrupted and needs to be revamed too(If their is anything you can add let it be known)
jvo1800
i think it should be mandatory that fighters fight at least twice a year unless an injury is involved, legal issues, or family emergency. I think ppv numbers and lists of highest ranked fighters beat should determine who gets the larger purse. All questionable knock downs during the fight should be reviewed b4 action resumes. Olympic style drug testing up until the last week of the fight and number 1 & 2 fighters of each division must fight after maintaining their status past 3 fights.
pesticid
I would like to see 3 changes in the boxing ring.

1: I am sick of holding, referees should enforce stringent rules when it comes to holding.
2. I am sick of cuts from accidental headbutts. Make them wear some sort of a helmet. That way we can't have accidental headbutts. Just covering the forehead and eyebrows though.
3. Point system, it should be like in the amateurs. How was it, oh, 2 of the 3 judges have to hit a button for a scoring blow in order for a point to be given. We have to many punch stats anyway and too many questionable decisions.

alaganza
One belt per division.

Hops
The rules are ok. They must be strictly enforced, though.

And, refs should start warning those fighters that retreat with only minimal punching as defense. Like The Flinch Mosley.
Sicko
Boxing can put these rules involved because they don't have anybody to ENFORCE THEM! The Promoters pretty much RUN BOXING, they can do what ever they want and not have to answer to ANYBODY

so if Top Rank and Golden Boy Promoters only want to match their fighters up against fighters that are under the same promotion...the guess what...THEY WILL!

Arum has been doing it for the last 2-3 years

So trying to change Rules and put new Rules in place...that will be IMPOSSIBLE TO DO considering the fact that Boxing is not under One Governing Body so it is really no way you can FORCE or PUT these "NEW RULES" in place
alaganza
QUOTE (Sicko @ May 25 2011, 11:11 PM) *
Boxing can put these rules involved because they don't have anybody to ENFORCE THEM! The Promoters pretty much RUN BOXING, they can do what ever they want and not have to answer to ANYBODY

so if Top Rank and Golden Boy Promoters only want to match their fighters up against fighters that are under the same promotion...the guess what...THEY WILL!

So trying to change Rules and put new Rules in place...that will be IMPOSSIBLE TO DO considering the fact that Boxing is not under One Governing Body so it is really no way you can FORCE or PUT these "NEW RULES" in place

I agree to this post with the exception of the statement that the promoters run boxing. I think the networks have more power than the promoters to be honest. It's the networks that don't have anyone to answer to in my opinion.
Harvey
QUOTE (Sicko @ May 25 2011, 11:11 PM) *

You right thats the bad part about it top boxing promoters have a monopoly on the game by holding the top fighters under their belt plus they control ranking fighters that should'nt be as high ranked as they are but when you can pick and choose the match ups you can make a basic fighter a over rank fighter when they do get a good match up they get put on their ass.
mgrover
get rid of catch weights. if you can't make the required weight, you don't fight at that division. the hugging has gotten out of hand, its gotten to the point where its become a lot of fighters main game plan. throw a punch or two and then hug like there the fucking cuddles.
Harvey
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 26 2011, 05:15 AM) *
get rid of catch weights. if you can't make the required weight, you don't fight at that division. the hugging has gotten out of hand, its gotten to the point where its become a lot of fighters main game plan. throw a punch or two and then hug like there the fucking cuddles.

You right catch weight should not exist at all and if found hugging two consecutive rounds or running around the ring the same lenth of time and not engaging in the fight looses 2 points a point for each round the third round if still doing the same he will be disqaulified nomatter title bout or not.(WELCOME TO THE WARRIOR BUISNESS)
AussieLad
Make all defences mandatory defences. No picking and choosing opponents. If the top ranked fighter isnt available, or injured, fight the next ranked guy. No exceptions

All non title fights are mandated by the sanctioning body, in a ladder style structure depending upon your part of the world. Once you reach a certain level, you have to travel if you want to move up.

Your a champ, and you don't want to fight under the rules of the sanctioning body, or you want to enforce your own petty shit... you get stripped. No whingeing, no complaining, no back door deals, and no ducking opponents based on money, drug testing, legacy, name value... and all that other horse shit.

You think a mandated opponent is too risky for too little reward... eat shit

I swear, if other sports organized matches like boxing currently is... can you imagine how fucked they would all be.
Harvey
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 26 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Make all defences mandatory defences. No picking and choosing opponents. If the top ranked fighter isnt available, or injured, fight the next ranked guy. No exceptions

All non title fights are mandated by the sanctioning body, in a ladder style structure depending upon your part of the world. Once you reach a certain level, you have to travel if you want to move up.

Your a champ, and you don't want to fight under the rules of the sanctioning body, or you want to enforce your own petty shit... you get stripped. No whingeing, no complaining, no back door deals, and no ducking opponents based on money, drug testing, legacy, name value... and all that other horse shit.

You think a mandated opponent is too risky for too little reward... eat shit

I swear, if other sports organized matches like boxing currently is... can you imagine how fucked they would all be.

Thank god their not but it seems when too much money gets any any sport where its not balanced right betweeen people the shit runs down hill
Jack 1000
My List of Ideas

1.) A constant unification among boxing's world championship federations to rank each others champions and contenders to see the best fighting the best. (WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO Belts Only)

2.) The return of 15 round title fights ONLY when at least three of the four major belts are on the line. 12 round title fights in all other instances. This would make the 15-round distance something special.

3.) Fighters no longer tied to a specific network or promoter Just have the best fights against the best fighters with the networks and promoters bidding for the best fights.

4.) The elimination of long-term contracts for fighters, promoters, and networks. Do what Jay Larkin did at Showtime post-Tyson. Buy fights on an individualized basis. HBO's house fighter and house promoter long-term contract for certain fighters and promoters have got to go!

5.) Any minor league belt fight not associated with the big four championship federations, should not be more than 10 rounds.

6.) The abolishment of Open Scoring and the WBC's accidental head-butt mandated point-deduction rule throughout the world.

7.) Mandatory review and refresher seminars for judges and referees.

8.) Requirements for judges to explain controversial scores before a review hearing committee, if there scoring, based on a consensus of boxing polls around the world, has a different winner than say 65% or more of the people polled. (This may need tweaking and further study before it goes into effect.) You would need a high percentage here so that close decision fights are NOT automatically put into a "robbery" category.

9.) Continued studies of the diet and nutritional needs of fighters and how this may relate to ring performance.

10.) Medical and competency evaluations for fighters 45 years of age or older with MRI's and CAT-Scan's to make sure that they are still medically safe to fight. The same conditions and considerations for any boxer who has suffered brutal back-to-back KO losses or severe beatings in two or more consecutive fights. This determination to be made by the state boxing commissions and/or the Medical advisory council of the sanctioning body(s) overseeing the fight.

Jack
MeDatsWho
I think we need to get rid of all these BS titles
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.