Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carl Froch v Glen Johnson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
Carl Froch has won and lost squeakers in this marathon. Glen Johnson's career has been renewed thanks to the attrition rate of this FIFA formatted boxing tournament.

Froch is about to wrestle an octopus in quicksand. If he can survive and get the close decision to go his way, he will be as prepared as possible for Ward.

Johnson needs to stick to Froch like velcro. Mug him. Piss him off. Get him off his game and take the championship rounds if he can't stop Carl.

Froch is not facing Abraham here. Johnson will close on him. His chin has met the test of time. He has been stopped just once, by BHop. A lot will depend on the officiating. How much mugging will be allowed? I can see Froch winning on the strength of a couple of penalty points being taken from Johnson for fighting like Johnson. If not this will be another stern test for Froch.

Froch passed the Abraham test impressively, but Johnson is a more dangerous animal.

I think Froch will win a close decision. Of the two, Carl has the better shot at defeating Ward. Neither have a real good shot though, IMO.
FinitoElDinamita
Froch has the better chance. He's shown the ability to stick n move and box his way against certain opponents, he's awkward but could fight in more than one way.. Ward isnt going to push him around either like he did with the other guys cuz The Cobra is a strong dude..

Froch beats all these guys.. Only Dirrell can stand up to him.
JONdaCON817
Froch and Johnson will be a good close fight... I think Froch will win on account he has the hotter wife... idkk how that plays into all this but it makes me wanna root for him...

Ward deff wins either way. I'm not a huge Dirrell fan... I used to see him up at LA boxing down in Keller TX... my homeboy was offered to spar with him once, my friend agreed and it took AD by suprise, when my buddy went to his bag to grab his mouthpiece Dirrell had suddenly vanished... lol. True story!!... AD is full of excuses, has been since the day I met him...

On the flipside SOG has converted me into one of his fans... his determination and ability to adapt to where ever the fight turns makes him dangerous... he can fight from the outside or fight you in a phonebooth.. he has great handspeed and throws combos well... I can't knocc the duu....
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ May 29 2011, 09:04 AM) *
Froch has the better chance. He's shown the ability to stick n move and box his way against certain opponents, he's awkward but could fight in more than one way.. Ward isnt going to push him around either like he did with the other guys cuz The Cobra is a strong dude..

Froch beats all these guys.. Only Dirrell can stand up to him.

Im not gonna say he will beat them all but he will give them a good fight. Froch's style appeals to me as he is gutsy & has a fair bit of skill. Good all round fighter & seems to be a lot more humble than Calzaghe.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 28 2011, 04:23 PM) *
Carl Froch has won and lost squeakers in this marathon. Glen Johnson's career has been renewed thanks to the attrition rate of this FIFA formatted boxing tournament.

Froch is about to wrestle an octopus in quicksand. If he can survive and get the close decision to go his way, he will be as prepared as possible for Ward.

Johnson needs to stick to Froch like velcro. Mug him. Piss him off. Get him off his game and take the championship rounds if he can't stop Carl.

Froch is not facing Abraham here. Johnson will close on him. His chin has met the test of time. He has been stopped just once, by BHop. A lot will depend on the officiating. How much mugging will be allowed? I can see Froch winning on the strength of a couple of penalty points being taken from Johnson for fighting like Johnson. If not this will be another stern test for Froch.

Froch passed the Abraham test impressively, but Johnson is a more dangerous animal.

I think Froch will win a close decision. Of the two, Carl has the better shot at defeating Ward. Neither have a real good shot though, IMO.

Agreed that Froch probably has a better chance of beating Ward (as you said, he won't though). I think that Johnson has a slim chance, but still a chance, of defeating the Cobra (if he does, then should we start calling him G.I Johnson..? bad pun, I know). Good stuff, yet another bout that I'm looking forward too.
Maxy
Carl Froch has balls. He's a throwback, willing to fight anyone. It disgusts me the way he has been handled, promoted over here. We have to put up with cunts talkin' about some non fuckin Brit with a following of fanatical terrorists rather than hearing about a true warrior who comes to fight and fights them all.

Love Carl Froch....despise Amir Khan.

Seriously there ain't any fucker over here who even knows who is if they don't follow boxing religiously. Disgraceful. Oh but over here you have to be politically correct and all that cunting crap...is that why Khan is a household name and Froch is a blot on the landscape? Is that how bad things have become?
D-MARV
I also see why Khan is more of a draw.

blackbelt2003
I think Froch has suffered from a major lack of exposure on TV. Earlier in his career he was getting on the BBC boxing shows on terrestrial TV and was developing a good fan base, especially with his big punching style and slightly cocky attitude. Anywhere in the East Midlands he would be a big draw, and there was even some publicity in the national press when he said he was 'Britain's best athlete'.

But then, he ended up on Sky, which is not too bad as a lot of guys have broken through on Sky TV, defending his Brit,Commonweath and Euro titles.

But, ironically, as he won his world title (BBC's final ever boxing broadcast if I recall), he suddenly switched to shitty, low rotation cable channels and nobody has got to see his terrific run of world title fights.

Shame, as he really should be a bigger star than what he is. If he'd maybe got Calzaghe in the ring (and I think he'd have been too young and tough for an old Joe) it would have been a 'torch passing' moment and the public would have recognised him as the UK's new Don, but right now he's just a die-hard's man.

Staying on topic, Froch-Johnson is 50/50 down the line. Since close decisions often go against Glencoffe, I think Froch will nick it and then be outboxed by Ward but do enough in the fight to keep it interesting, maybe land a few big shots or wobble Ward once or twice, but ultimately go down a UD loser.

I'd love for Froch to take Ward out, then defend against Pavlik (wwwwwaaaaaarrrrrrr) then take on Bute for all the marbles.

Black

Black
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 29 2011, 04:26 AM) *
Im not gonna say he will beat them all but he will give them a good fight. Froch's style appeals to me as he is gutsy & has a fair bit of skill. Good all round fighter & seems to be a lot more humble than Calzaghe.

Dude, you gotta do better than that. Are you going soft. That is the nicest thing i've ever seen you say here. Gimme something bad about Froch.
The Original MrFactor
I think Froch has a great shot to beat Ward. We just saw Johnson/Ward in Ward/Bika... Froch is a pretty big guy for 168. I can see him making 175 and doing pretty well there. Ward will have to walk through hell to beat Froch.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 30 2011, 10:09 AM) *
Yeah, Stevenski has turned into a real soft pussy these days.......

He'll be telling us next that he didn't super-jizz his pants when Lebedev left Roy Jones face first on the canvas.

Black
TheFonz
Glen is going to beat the breaks off of Froch.
The CEO
I like Fonz' call, but I'll say pick 'em...just because the powers that be want a Froch-Ward final...

Everything on the straight and narrow?...I'd take Johnson.

I believe you have to be a mid B Level fighter or higher to beat Froch....and we all know that's Glen Johnson range.

He was +300 last time I checked...very tempting.

and yeah...they both lose to the A- Ward...with Johnson givin' Ward the harder time.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 30 2011, 06:53 PM) *
Dude, you gotta do better than that. Are you going soft. That is the nicest thing i've ever seen you say here. Gimme something bad about Froch.

Nah not soft just mellowing with age. I am like a fine wine but you never know when I will cork & pour out some vile concoction.

QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 30 2011, 08:19 PM) *
He'll be telling us next that he didn't super-jizz his pants when Lebedev left Roy Jones face first on the canvas.

Black

You know as funny as it was I felt sorry for Roy. Seeing him get his clock cleaned when he was on top was great. Now it is just sad seeing this human train wreck in the ring.
alaganza
Froch has the better shot against Ward. That said, I will be pulling for Glen. I only want to see good things happen for Glen. I love his work ethic, attitude , and throwback mentality.
alaganza
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 31 2011, 12:01 AM) *
I want Glen Johnson to lose and get out of the tournament.

Simple, predictable Glen Johnson.

Ummmm......no thanks.

LOL!
BoxingWizard23
Froch By UD or close UD. Johnson's beard is legendary and only B Hop cracked it out of all the powerful fighters Johnson beat. But then again the Road Warrior may surprise us he surprised me by standing toe to toe with Cloud a younger,fresher and stronger version of Johnson and still didn't get KO'd and made it close. we'll see. Can't wait for this fight.
TheFonz
Froch's fighting spirit will have him seeing the wizard in this fight. Glen IS going to get inside of Froch's punches and punish him on thie inside. Froch has NO answer for Glen's inside game.

I do agree that Ward has an "easier" time outboxing Glen, styles make fights and Froch will not get to see Ward at the end of the tourney.
Method
LEt's go GLENN.

Fitz hit it on the head, but I wanna see Glenn beat Froch.
JONdaCON817
I like Glens style... Frochs hot wife is annoying screaming the whole fight!!.. I wanna watch the finals in peace!!...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Sad to say I don't get inspired by either guy. Both are very hardworking honest pro's though. They respect the sport and do the best with what they have been given. It's hard to knock guys who manage to extract every ounce of their talent.

That being said.......Glenn pushes forward all night pressing the action, Froch shows some of that newfound composure to pick him off from the outside, beating Glenn to the punch and win a close hard fought fight. Very scrappy in parts and the referee could have a significant part to play.

After it's done Glenn will end up on the internet touching his face and saying "look there isn't even a mark on me" before complaining that he just got screwed again and demanding a rematch.

Which he won't get, coz he's.............Glenn Johnson.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 1 2011, 10:19 AM) *
The bold part is where we differ, Ollie. That is exactly why I am inspired by these dudes. I'm looking forward to this fight far, far more than I did Pac v The Flinch.

I would rather watch JMM, Arce, SMartinez, Guerrero, Bradley, Angulo, AWard, BHop, Froch, Johnson v Anyone than watch Pac or PBF at this point. Fuck both of them and their entourages. Boxing does not need either of them.

Beardo where in the post did I mention Manny or Mayweather. Man you've got those 2 on the brain! laugh.gif

Out of your list I too like watching JMM, Hopkins, Martinez and Arce. No need to mention those other two guys. It's true though, while I admire Froch and Johnson I don't go running to switch on the TV when they're fighting. They are what I call YouTube fighters, I watch their fights a couple of days later on YouTube laugh.gif
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 1 2011, 02:02 PM) *
Beardo where in the post did I mention Manny or Mayweather. Man you've got those 2 on the brain! laugh.gif

Out of your list I too like watching JMM, Hopkins, Martinez and Arce. No need to mention those other two guys. It's true though, while I admire Froch and Johnson I don't go running to switch on the TV when they're fighting. They are what I call YouTube fighters, I watch their fights a couple of days later on YouTube laugh.gif

Then you will be missing a superior fight live, Ollie.
SmartyBeardo
I have to admit that my heart is with The Road Warrior in this one, though I like Froch and my head says he gets the close decision.

How can you not get fired up for this fight? This is what boxing should be all about; WAR between two deserving professionals.

iKeNjiro
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 2 2011, 11:30 PM) *
I have to admit that my heart is with The Road Warrior in this one, though I like Froch and my head says he gets the close decision.

How can you not get fired up for this fight? This is what boxing should be all about; WAR between two deserving professionals.

Yea I like both fighters in this fight but unlike Bernard I think Glen is taking on tougher opposition and if he can get pass Froch an Ward then he should be regarded as one of the best older fighters to do it.
Great fight, hoping Glen pulls off the upset
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jun 2 2011, 08:23 PM) *
Yea I like both fighters in this fight but unlike Bernard I think Glen is taking on tougher opposition and if he can get pass Froch an Ward then he should be regarded as one of the best older fighters to do it.

I am too, but he has a loong way to go to catch up with BHop.
Fitz
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jun 3 2011, 01:23 PM) *

Difference is that Hopkins is an all time great fighter, Johnson is going to be an all time great journeyman...
Fitz
SmartyBeardo
This would be a very impressive victory if Johnson can somehow pull it off.
Maxy
Froch wil eat a few right hands because it's customary for Carl to take unnecessary shots, but ultimately he will be too young and too good for the old man. This is most likely to go the distance but if anybody is gonna get a stoppage win it'll be the cobra late on....

Interestingly Froch had to go to hospital with an ear problem yesterday. Not the first time this has happened before a big fight. Claims that some punches he had taken had caused a blockage whereas I tend to believe he's going deaf due to his insanely annoying bird.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 3 2011, 04:08 PM) *
Froch wil eat a few right hands because it's customary for Carl to take unnecessary shots, but ultimately he will be too young and too good for the old man. This is most likely to go the distance but if anybody is gonna get a stoppage win it'll be the cobra late on....

Interestingly Froch had to go to hospital with an ear problem yesterday. Not the first time this has happened before a big fight. Claims that some punches he had taken had caused a blockage whereas I tend to believe he's going deaf due to his insanely annoying bird.

Insanely hot also. Think this is the first iv seen of you since last Saturday. Did it hurt that bad?
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 3 2011, 10:58 AM) *
Insanely hot also. Think this is the first iv seen of you since last Saturday. Did it hurt that bad?

Lloyd, last Saturday was torturous. Took the week off work though, plenty of highs since then mate.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 3 2011, 05:51 PM) *
Lloyd, last Saturday was torturous. Took the week off work though, plenty of highs since then mate.

Haha I can imagine. No shame in losing to that team tho. Theres not many teams in the history of football that could beat them, never mind the current Champions League crop
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 3 2011, 01:49 PM) *
Haha I can imagine. No shame in losing to that team tho. Theres not many teams in the history of football that could beat them, never mind the current Champions League crop

As good as I have ever seen.
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 3 2011, 04:49 PM) *

Absolutely. They're a beautiful side to watch and it looks like they will be strengthening further this summer. Nobody is gonna get close to them.

BUT, why has the board turned into a fuckin place to salivate over the likes of Mayweather and Pac when a quality old school fight is happening tonight?

Yeah, let's get a shit load more traffic at the expense of quality. Makes sense don't it? Fuck off.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 4 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Absolutely. They're a beautiful side to watch and it looks like they will be strengthening further this summer. Nobody is gonna get close to them.

BUT, why has the board turned into a fuckin place to salivate over the likes of Mayweather and Pac when a quality old school fight is happening tonight?

Yeah, let's get a shit load more traffic at the expense of quality. Makes sense don't it? Fuck off.

I know. The increased traffic is a double edged sword right enough. The place has been filled with idiots. Any idea what time Froch's fight will be on? I'm recording it cos i'm up at 0530 tomorrow so cant see me staying up. The program is on till 0400.
Maxy
Froch is due in the ring between 2.45 and 3am. I will be pretty shocked if Carl don't do the business tonight. Big fan of his and expect him to put on a performance.

You working on a Sunday? Luckily enough I ain't had to do that for a few years now.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 4 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Froch is due in the ring between 2.45 and 3am. I will be pretty shocked if Carl don't do the business tonight. Big fan of his and expect him to put on a performance.

You working on a Sunday? Luckily enough I ain't had to do that for a few years now.

Yeah I work shifts so the way my rota works I do 2 weekends out of 5. One on nights one on days. Cant complain tho, gives my liver a break.

I'm looking forward to seeing this fight, albeit I wont be able to go the whole day at work without finding out the result.

Before the Abraham fight I wouldnt have been so sure about Froch in this one, but its kinda reassuring from his point of view that he knows he can avoid a tear up and still be effective. I think he just has to outwork Glen here and wait for him to tire, which he might if rumours of the struggle to make weight are true.
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 4 2011, 04:13 PM) *
Yeah I work shifts so the way my rota works I do 2 weekends out of 5. One on nights one on days. Cant complain tho, gives my liver a break.

I'm looking forward to seeing this fight, albeit I wont be able to go the whole day at work without finding out the result.

Before the Abraham fight I wouldnt have been so sure about Froch in this one, but its kinda reassuring from his point of view that he knows he can avoid a tear up and still be effective. I think he just has to outwork Glen here and wait for him to tire, which he might if rumours of the struggle to make weight are true.

Yeah Froch should either win wide on the cards or stop him late. Keep thinking back to Clinton Woods, and yeah it was a close fight, but Froch, for me, is a level above Woods and this is at a lower weight which has got to have taken something out of Johnson...plus we are 5 years further down the line. I'll watch the delayed coverage tomorrow morning if I can't stay up. Been abusing the liver big time this week and I'm already on my 7th can tonight so it ain't very likely I'll be up in the early hours....
lloyd mayflower
Aaaaahhhh cans.... the sport of kings! Or one of them anyway! Enjoy. Iv got one shift to go, a night in front of the boxing tomorrow, then a full day of golf and drinking on Monday. That right there is why I dont mind working the odd Sunday!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.