Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: manny-pacquiao-settles-defamation-suit-with-golden-boy
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
EAlbian
sweet dude, im sure Manny will send you a thank you letter for posting this or i at least give you permission to jerk it to that thought
caneman
lmfao! whatever, sounds like the wrong ones were sued but if we don't get
'the fight", who gives a fuck either way? The retired guy ain't fighting, and
the one who says he wants to make the fans happy and barely has anyone
to fight but PBF! Yea there are a few fights...but none that will make most happy
and then there's the test bullshit! Fuck it what the fuck ever! The Mayweather's
are who said the shit and Ellebee(sp), you know the massage expert biting his lip!

How many more threads til the fight????

laugh.gif
thehype
Settles or drops? Hmmmmmm....
gravytrain
QUOTE (thehype @ May 31 2011, 08:20 PM) *

the article doesn't make it clear since it says "in connection with the dismissal".

if he did settle i wonder how GBP will pay him. duffle bag of money?
noWAYnoHOW
QUOTE (noWAYnoHOW @ May 31 2011, 06:33 PM) *

lol, i'm a boxing fan first a floyd fan second.
Hops
Floyd's ego is again taking another hit. This would be irrelevant at first. But knowing Floyd... nah...

When's Floyd's next press release? I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe there would be something new.
Walstan86
QUOTE (thehype @ May 31 2011, 07:20 PM) *

?? What could it possibly matter? That statement from GBP amounts to a full-blown confession of wrong-doing with apologies.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Walstan86 @ May 31 2011, 10:01 PM) *
?? What could it possibly matter? That statement from GBP amounts to a full-blown confession of wrong-doing with apologies.

Maybe they'll take bacc the apology after he gets caught.... lol

They'll prolly be kiccing themselves afterwards.. like "dammit we knew that mf was cheating!!"

And $5 says Ariza is the fall guy.
Walstan86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 1 2011, 03:18 AM) *
Maybe they'll take bacc the apology after he gets caught.... lol

They'll prolly be kiccing themselves afterwards.. like "dammit we knew that mf was cheating!!"

And $5 says Ariza is the fall guy.

lol. Maybe so.... But Shaefer is a Harvard lawyer. I gotta believe the guy knows when he has no defense when he's sued. "Oscar, we're in big trouble.... We gotta get out now."
BoxingStill#1
My only issue with this is that basically by GBP publicly apologizing and settling, it "sets the bar" so to speak...

What I mean is now NOBODY will speak their mind on the matter...

Its like a gag order and anyone who whispers of Manny using PEDS will be sued..

This may be tactic....

This goes under the assumption that Manny is using PEDS,.. but if I were doing something illegal and I found out that rumors were being created that i was by someone (especially my competition) I would cut the head off of the snake immediately....

Problem is GBP didn't make the rumor....WE THE FANS DID....

See you in court Manny,... and then ill counter sue for trying to take my constitutional right..

caneman
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 1 2011, 08:28 AM) *
My only issue with this is that basically by GBP publicly apologizing and settling, it "sets the bar" so to speak...

What I mean is now NOBODY will speak their mind on the matter...

Its like a gag order and anyone who whispers of Manny using PEDS will be sued..

This may be tactic....

This goes under the assumption that Manny is using PEDS,.. but if I were doing something illegal and I found out that rumors were being created that i was by someone (especially my competition) I would cut the head off of the snake immediately....

Problem is GBP didn't make the rumor....WE THE FANS DID....

See you in court Manny,... and then ill counter sue for trying to take my constitutional right..

I NEVER heard a fan say Pac was on PED's til Mayweather Sr said it then Jr, Roger and Jeff, then fans and others started from the way I remember it! But whatever!
flip
cool-thanks-for-the-link-bro-lolz
ks1
QUOTE (Walstan86 @ Jun 1 2011, 08:55 AM) *
lol. Maybe so.... But Shaefer is a Harvard lawyer. I gotta believe the guy knows when he has no defense when he's sued. "Oscar, we're in big trouble.... We gotta get out now."

Nah, not really. GBP was never in any real legal trouble from Pac's dubious suit. They were a side party to the suit and never made any direct statements. The apology is classic legalese - "...if any statements made could be construed as...we apologize...yadda...yadda...". Imo, Oscar's doing his 12 step thing and GBP is in mediation with Top Rank so they decided to clear the decks of minor issues with Top Rank.

Overall, the lawsuit is very suspect and has little chance of suceeding against the Mayweathers. If it ever gets to a courtoom, in order for Pac to win, he would have to prove the following:

1. The statements made by the Mayweathers were false.
2. The Mayweathers knew the statements were false.
3. The Mayweathers knew the statements were false but made them anyway.

If he proves all that, he then has to prove that the statements damaged his reputation which is pretty funny considering all the public accolades and tens of millions of dollars he's made since then.
Walstan86
QUOTE (ks1 @ Jun 3 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Nah, not really. GBP was never in any real legal trouble from Pac's dubious suit. They were a side party to the suit and never made any direct statements. The apology is classic legalese - "...if any statements made could be construed as...we apologize...yadda...yadda...". Imo, Oscar's doing his 12 step thing and GBP is in mediation with Top Rank so they decided to clear the decks of minor issues with Top Rank.

Overall, the lawsuit is very suspect and has little chance of suceeding against the Mayweathers. If it ever gets to a courtoom, in order for Pac to win, he would have to prove the following:

1. The statements made by the Mayweathers were false.
2. The Mayweathers knew the statements were false.
3. The Mayweathers knew the statements were false but made them anyway.

If he proves all that, he then has to prove that the statements damaged his reputation which is pretty funny considering all the public accolades and tens of millions of dollars he's made since then.

Time will tell whether the claim has wings. I'm sure GBP is glad to be done with it. As for the Mayweathers, I don't think they'll do themselves much good before a jury. Mouths like that have a way of digging themselves deeper into the hole with every word.
Allmenjoi8
How can anyone know if the statements were false if he does not take the OST? Floyd is not saying sorry to Manny and especially Arum. Golden Boy Productions made a business decision, if Pacman wants to waste more money on lawyer fees then he should continue this stupid lawsuit. Barry Bonds never tested positive neither did Lance Armstrong. If they go to court the judge will ask Manny to take the test. If he still refuses then the Judge will dismiss the case. Manny has to have evidence that he is not on anything and his word isn't enough proof. The Mayweathers can prove their claim by saying: These are the attributes on someone that is on steroids he displays some of these attributes. The judge will then order a OST testing. The lawsuit is dumb.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jun 3 2011, 09:18 PM) *
How can anyone know if the statements were false if he does not take the OST? Floyd is not saying sorry to Manny and especially Arum. Golden Boy Productions made a business decision, if Pacman wants to waste more money on lawyer fees then he should continue this stupid lawsuit. Barry Bonds never tested positive neither did Lance Armstrong. If they go to court the judge will ask Manny to take the test. If he still refuses then the Judge will dismiss the case. Manny has to have evidence that he is not on anything and his word isn't enough proof. The Mayweathers can prove their claim by saying: These are the attributes on someone that is on steroids he displays some of these attributes. The judge will then order a OST testing. The lawsuit is dumb.

I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong here. But I would bet my left nut, and thats my favourite nut, thats NOT what the judge will do
Walstan86
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 3 2011, 03:57 PM) *
I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong here. But I would bet my left nut, and thats my favourite nut, thats NOT what the judge will do

You're absolutely right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.