Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People who say Floyd " ducked " Miguel Cotto LMFAO
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
FinitoElDinamita
Ive been in some heated debates recently with some Puerto Rican fans who keep saying Floyd ducked Cotto back in 08..

What are your thoughts on this?
neophyte7
LMAO... Floyd told Cotto to shut up in mag I read at that time... told him he was still green and to respect a legend of the sport!!! LMAO Floyd destroyed Bruselles in front of Cotto and Cotto shut the fuck up on fighting Floyd. Cotto looked in awe watching Floyd toy and dismantle Bruseless.... That is the same type beating he would take, at this stage please forget it Cotto could not and would not be able to see the punches coming....
Allmenjoi8
I do not think he ducked Cotto, I just do not think he thought that fight would make him money. Cotto is just learning how to box, he can slug his butt off all day long but box is another discussion. I do not think Cotto is that fast either, so a fight that makes no money makes no sense to MM.
JONdaCON817
Im Puerto Rican and i dont think Cotto would have a chance other that a slightly higher "punchers chance" than most ppl... He doesnt roll punches he juss eats them with a high guard... ide like to see how his left hook to the body would fair against May but idkk how much damage and how often he'd be able to land.. Ide deff watch the fight tho.. ide most likely pay too but i doubt most ppl would.. the PR fan base would but itd be another Trinidad/Hopkins result.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 3 2011, 01:09 PM) *
LMAO... Floyd told Cotto to shut up in mag I read at that time... told him he was still green and to respect a legend of the sport!!! LMAO Floyd destroyed Bruselles in front of Cotto and Cotto shut the fuck up on fighting Floyd. Cotto looked in awe watching Floyd toy and dismantle Bruseless.... That is the same type beating he would take, at this stage please forget it Cotto could not and would not be able to see the punches coming....

Exactly bro. NOt only in the Bruseles fight, but both Hatton and Cotto were at the Floyd/Gatti bout to scout him out ( to fight him later that year ) but during the 5th round, i believe, they showed Cotto/Hatton's face up-close and they looked all petrified and shit. Cotto's face was all white as if he just saw a ghost. The word Mayweather never came out of Cotto's mouth especially after that fight...

Truth is, Floyd did call out Cotto around 05-06 but got declined after Cotto's camp claimed that he's still GREEN.

Ray Leonard fought the great Benitez and Duran in his first 3 years as a pro.. He must have been a lunatic.
Cyrenn
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Jun 3 2011, 01:43 PM) *
Ive been in some heated debates recently with some Puerto Rican fans who keep saying Floyd ducked Cotto back in 08..

What are your thoughts on this?

Dayumn, You Floyd fanatics are f-ing full of yourselves. I've been a boxing fan for years. It's pretty pathetic Floyd ducked everything and the kitchen sink.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/team-...-to-duck-cotto/

Personally I think Cotto would whoop Floyd's ass.
Cotto has a bigger fan base then Marquez but Floyd will fight him, and if you want to argue about it just look at both PPV numbers of Cotto's and Marquez's last few fights.

What does it even matter, Floyd ain't fought jack in 2 years and the reason he hasn't fought is because he knows if he tries to get in the ring with some bullshit opponent other then Pacquiao his PPV number's will show how much of a bullshit artist he really is. People only watch Floyd to see him get beat. He knows once he loses that Zero he can't market himself, because he's not exciting. People bought Aurtro Gattie fights because he came to put on a show no matter how many loses he had. You know it, I know it, 99% of the true boxing world knows it. Once he's lost he's done.

People still buy Cotto's fights because he brings it.
Floyd is desperate for a dance partner but do you see him wanting to get in the ring with Cotto? F**K NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won't get in with Pac, He won't get in with Martinez, Why not Cotto? Just because Pac beat Cotto don't mean shit. Floyd is out of options and he's dieing a slow death because he's trapped in a corner with no where to run.

One last thing keep keep idolizing Floyd. It's funny talking to other boxing fans that try to argue anything about FLoyd when faced to face in a crowd, Everyone boo's them or calls them on there bullshit LOL!

Just like you in these heated arguments, because I bet you sound like an f-ing tool.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (Cyrenn @ Jun 3 2011, 02:22 PM) *
Dayumn, You Floyd fanatics are f-ing full of yourselves. I've been a boxing fan for years. It's pretty pathetic Floyd ducked everything and the kitchen sink.

Cotto has a bigger fan base then Marquez but Floyd will fight him, and if you want to argue about it just look at both PPV numbers of Cotto's and Marquez's last few fights.

What does it even matter, Floyd ain't fought jack in 2 years and the reason he hasn't fought is because he knows if he tries to get in the ring with some bullshit opponent other then Pacquiao his PPV number's will show how much of a bullshit artist he really is. People only watch Floyd to see him get beat. He knows once he loses that Zero he can't market himself, because he's not exciting. People bought Aurtro Gattie fights because he came to put on a show no matter how many loses he had. You know it, I know it, 99% of the true boxing world knows it. Once he's lost he's done.

Floyd is desperate for a dance partner but do you see him wanting to get in the ring with Cotto? F**K NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won't get in with Pac, He won't get in with Martinez, Why not Cotto? Just because Pac beat Cotto don't mean shit. Floyd is out of options and he's dieing a slow death because he's trapped in a corner with no where to run.

One last thing keep keep idolizing Floyd. It's funny talking to other boxing fans that try to argue anything about FLoyd when faced to face in a crowd, Everyone boo's them or calls them on there bullshit LOL!

Just like you in these heated arguments, because I bet you sound like an f-ing tool.

ahahah ok.. You dont know shit about boxing.. that is all.
Cyrenn
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Jun 3 2011, 05:28 PM) *
ahahah ok.. You dont know shit about boxing.. that is all.

LOL! So sad that's all you got to say? Pathetic. We can talk boxing anytime foolio:)

You just another keyboard warrior LOL!
BGv2.0
Well...."ducked" is a word that ANY PBF fan should simply get used to....because it's going to be there FOREVER.

He may not have ducked him....but he did not fight him.

And even if he were to fight him today it would be argued and rightfully so that he fought him at less than his best.

You can look over Floyd's resume and pick out a WHOLE LOT that could be argued were past their shelf life.

That's the problem with his and his fans whole claim to him being the best ever.....there are too many question marks in relation to how fights would have turned out that he either did not fight or fought too late.

Real champions clean out every division they are in and leave no question marks.

Floyd failed to do this.....

like I said....get used to the argument, because it will NEVER go away.

NOW...I say all of that knowing how talented and exceptional Floyd's skills are....but it does not change anything....as a fan I can look back at too many mismatches due to size or age and too many fights that did not take place.

That's all on him.

When it comes to legacy....if your only motivator is money...well...that's fine...but sometimes it's not going to work out for you.

IMHO....a Cotto/PBF fight in 2008 would have made a ton...so I don't feel that's a valid excuse.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (Cyrenn @ Jun 3 2011, 02:39 PM) *
LOL! So sad that's all you got to say? Pathetic. We can talk boxing anytime foolio:)

You just another keyboard warrior LOL!

You sound like a novice. That's why I responded the way I did. ^^
Cyrenn
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Jun 3 2011, 05:42 PM) *
You sound like a novice. That's why I responded the way I did. ^^

The sad thing is why do you insist on defending Floyd? You don't see boxing forums saying Manny ducked this, Cotto ducked that, your only argument is that after Manny whoops that ass, you all come back with oh they were washed up, or they sucked, he cleaned out Legends in there best weight classes. You call Ricky Hatton a bum but yet he didn't make it to the world stage by being a bum?

You def can't call Barrerra or Morales bums.

Clottey was a champion.
Cotto was a champion.
Ricky a Champion

Everyone of them made it to the world stage by not being bums.

But every Boxing forum in the known world has tons of threads about Floyd Ducking this guy, floyd ducking that guy, Floyd ducking this guy and the list goes one:) But yet you're still in denial:)
AussieLad
Floyds method 140 and above has always been to fight most money, least risk fights. He would prefer not to fight dangerous opponents, so he calls them green or not big enough names. Then sooner or later that guy will lose (because most of the other top guys arent afraid to take risky fights) and then out comes mayweathers "see they lost, they were never good enough to fight me, now excuse me while i help judah pull that belt he just lost to baldomir out of the trash can so he can shine it up for me..."
gravytrain
it wouldn't have happened back then when Arum had 2 guys with Top Rank that were on the rise. it made more sense for him to put Cotto and Margarito in a fight than to work with GBP. i really don't see why he would duck them though, Margarito was going to be the most dangerous fight out there for him and Mayweather didn't have any problem with the fight back when he was with Top Rank. he just wanted to go straight for the big money with a DLH fight than going through Arum's roster.

plus the ducking shit got to be stupid after awhile, at one point some cats tried to make it sound like Mayweather was scared of the whole WW division. i've heard people even try to say he ducked Berto back before Berto got exposed as the chump that he's.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 3 2011, 06:09 PM) *
it wouldn't have happened back then when Arum had 2 guys with Top Rank that were on the rise. it made more sense for him to put Cotto and Margarito in a fight than to work with GBP. i really don't see why he would duck them though, Margarito was going to be the most dangerous fight out there for him and Mayweather didn't have any problem with the fight back when he was with Top Rank. he just wanted to go straight for the big money with a DLH fight than going through Arum's roster.

plus the ducking shit got to be stupid after awhile, at one point some cats tried to make it sound like Mayweather was scared of the whole WW division. i've heard people even try to say he ducked Berto back before Berto got exposed as the chump that he's.

Agreed I don't think Floyd ducked Cotto. I do think he was a little leery of Marg at the time. Not scared, just a fight that he wasn't in a super rush to make, although I think like the Mosley fight he would've made it eventually of the demand had been there.
E.C.LEGEND
Floyd would thrash him. The same way Judah was whooping Cottos' ass, but Floyd would do it all night.
FinitoElDinamita
^^ Yea I remember when Judah was beating Cotto's ass. He was getting his ass beat so bad that he had to resort to the CHEATO tactic whenever shit got rough.. Lowblow when the going gets tough... Ala Tito/Vargas
Fitz
I always felt that Cotto had the style to make it close on the scorecards and give Floyd a competitive fight. Cotto has the style that I always felt would make Mayweather wait and be a little cautious like in the DLH and Baldomir fights. I see Cotto winning early rounds against a cautious Mayweather and probably makes it close on the cards, with Mayweather coming on as the fight goes on longer. I always thought Cotto would give him a close fight.
mrwigi
i remember when mayweather fought gatti at 140. (granted gatti was a statue). the camera panned to both hatton and cotto once. i remember Lampley saying "cotto may want the winner of the fight, although if thats mayweather, u wonder if he wants him that soon". if you ask me both hatton and cotto looked scared sitting there that night. I think if cotto beats Margarito, then we would have seen cotto vs. mayweather. to bad we may never know what might happen.
FinitoElDinamita
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Jun 3 2011, 06:07 PM) *
i remember when mayweather fought gatti at 140. (granted gatti was a statue). the camera panned to both hatton and cotto once. i remember Lampley saying "cotto may want the winner of the fight, although if thats mayweather, u wonder if he wants him that soon". if you ask me both hatton and cotto looked scared sitting there that night. I think if cotto beats Margarito, then we would have seen cotto vs. mayweather. to bad we may never know what might happen.

Exactly.. I clearly remember the terrified look on both of their faces. Especially Cotto, he was shook.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 3 2011, 07:51 PM) *
I always felt that Cotto had the style to make it close on the scorecards and give Floyd a competitive fight. Cotto has the style that I always felt would make Mayweather wait and be a little cautious like in the DLH and Baldomir fights. I see Cotto winning early rounds against a cautious Mayweather and probably makes it close on the cards, with Mayweather coming on as the fight goes on longer. I always thought Cotto would give him a close fight.

yea i agree close fight but Cotto ultimately loses... ide give him a punchers chance but he looked bad against judah early and thats pretty much how ide see him looking vs May by the 4th round when May catches that timing and started gettin comfortable...
Fitz
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 4 2011, 01:25 PM) *
yea i agree close fight but Cotto ultimately loses... ide give him a punchers chance but he looked bad against judah early and thats pretty much how ide see him looking vs May by the 4th round when May catches that timing and started gettin comfortable...

Zab hits harder than Mayweather and took more risks early in the fight. I don't think Mayweather takes those chances early, which is why I think Cotto takes some of the early rounds. That's just how I see the fight unfolding.
Seek
QUOTE (Cyrenn @ Jun 3 2011, 04:22 PM) *

Cotto is my favorite fighter and was at the mgm to support him vs Pacquiao. But he can't beat Mayweather. Not prior or post Margarito. You just sound like a bitter hater. Gettin all emotional like a filipino pacboy
plink081
Can you say catch weight? How can you claim Pacmans so great if he refuses to fight people at the rite weight. He wants them to be all drained before he gets in the ring with them. Let him take the test. You would let some one put a dick in your ass for $100.00. Let alone putting a needle in your arm for 50million. As for Arum he is a senile old fuck. I had the guy next door offer me 65 million to pound his wife while he watched. Do you believe????? Fucking morons!!

QUOTE (Cyrenn @ Jun 3 2011, 05:56 PM) *
The sad thing is why do you insist on defending Floyd? You don't see boxing forums saying Manny ducked this, Cotto ducked that, your only argument is that after Manny whoops that ass, you all come back with oh they were washed up, or they sucked, he cleaned out Legends in there best weight classes. You call Ricky Hatton a bum but yet he didn't make it to the world stage by being a bum?

You def can't call Barrerra or Morales bums.

Clottey was a champion.
Cotto was a champion.
Ricky a Champion

Everyone of them made it to the world stage by not being bums.

But every Boxing forum in the known world has tons of threads about Floyd Ducking this guy, floyd ducking that guy, Floyd ducking this guy and the list goes one:) But yet you're still in denial:)

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (plink081 @ Jun 4 2011, 08:15 AM) *
You would let some one put a dick in your ass for $100.00. Let alone putting a needle in your arm for 50million.

If you are trying to win an argument, this is not a good way to go about it.
K18
QUOTE (Cyrenn @ Jun 3 2011, 03:22 PM) *

No that's not the reason, the reason is he wanted 10 mil to fight Cotto or Margarito...Arum only offered 8 mil.....same shit Arum tried to do with Hatton.......he laughed at Floyd when Floyd asked for 20 mil against DLH......he left Arum and Top Rank...he made his 20 mil vs DLH and he got more than 8 mil vs Hatton...he left Arum, find it funny that Top Rank opponents are the only fighters he has trouble getting fights with....and I personally can give two shits about Floyd
Walstan86
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 5 2011, 03:12 AM) *
Floyd who?

You mean that guy that retired more than a year ago?

Who cares?

bottom line. Floyd has left the arena. (Sneaked out in the dead of night). Gone.
PR316
QUOTE (FinitoElDinamita @ Jun 3 2011, 08:04 PM) *
^^ Yea I remember when Judah was beating Cotto's ass. He was getting his ass beat so bad that he had to resort to the CHEATO tactic whenever shit got rough.. Lowblow when the going gets tough... Ala Tito/Vargas

Lol... Are you serious???....

Cotto RIPPED Judah to shreads low blow or not. It was actually a pretty one sided beating.
Big Slim Sweet
The bottom line is Pacquaio's career outshines Mayweather's and no amount of new posts can ever change that.
Big Slim Sweet
^^^

I mean, let's cut to the chase right? The real reason for the thread and all.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 4 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Zab hits harder than Mayweather and took more risks early in the fight. I don't think Mayweather takes those chances early, which is why I think Cotto takes some of the early rounds. That's just how I see the fight unfolding.

not taking anything away from a prime Cotto but i think Mayweather takes him pretty easily down the stretch and probably wins it 8-4.

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 5 2011, 02:27 PM) *
The bottom line is Pacquaio's career outshines Mayweather's and no amount of new posts can ever change that.

i agree to some extent on that. Pac got titles in more divisions but i don't think that automatically makes his career better since some titles are just paper titles. i think their careers are pretty close. if Mayweather fought and beat Martinez i would go with him though, without him i think him and Pac need to fight.

if Mayweather never got in the ring again i would have Pac ahead but not by a really wide margin.
Big Slim Sweet
i agree to some extent on that. Pac got titles in more divisions but i don't think that automatically makes his career better since some titles are just paper titles. i think their careers are pretty close. if Mayweather fought and beat Martinez i would go with him though, without him i think him and Pac need to fight.

if Mayweather never got in the ring again i would have Pac ahead but not by a really wide margin.
[/quote]
Well sure, if Mayweather fought and beat Martinez, but when has he given any indication he plans to do that? If Pacquaio fought and beat Hopkins he would vault right back ahead of Mayweather. None of it's gonna happen.

Point is, if Mayweather actually fought the fights then his trolls wouldn't be reduced to obsessing over the accomplishments of another fighter. They could rightfully brag about his. But he doesn't fight. He doesn't do shit anymore.

This is how P4P gets settled in the 21st century apparently. Finding excuses not to fight fights and finding flaws with fights that are actually fought.
Cshel86
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 3 2011, 04:09 PM) *

Well-worded! Let's not forget that Cotto witnessed Mayweather rip Gatti apart, smh. Cotto's a great fighter, but Floyd's speed would present a problem for him, and the fight wouldn't be as entertaining. It would make for a great payday and worldwide coverage, but people probably wouldn't enjoy the results. Cotto needs to be in there with boxer/brawlers!
Cshel86
As I stated before, it would have been a great fight for the both of them (payday/ppvs), but it wouldn't have been an entertaining fight after you selected the "BUY" button and the first bell rang. Let's face it, Cotto has exceptional handspeed, but his footwork is conditioned to fight guys that are there to be hit. Zab was the fastest guy that he fought when he was undefeated, but Zab is gonna be there to be hit (though his defense is exceptional). Floyd would avoid trading with Cotto (due to his power), so that means popshots, in-and-out movement, and frustrate your opponent down the stretch while slowly increasing punch output (by Floyd). Cotto wouldn't want to walk Floyd down all night, only to land a few punches (which would be grazing punches). That's the fight!...unless Floyd gets caught with a wild punch that changes the pace of the fight. I believe the purse split would have been an issue for the fight anyway. Floyd made 8 figures for both of those fights in '07 and was the highest paid athlete that year, so I doubt if Arum would have wanted the purse split to heavily favor Mayweather for either of those two dates that year...though the fans were in high demand of the fight. We all know/should know about the Mayweathers and GBP vs Bob Arum fued by now. I wish that Floyd would have fought him, at least that would have cut down some of the "ducking" accusations on his part, lol. Cotto wouldn't have looked so good after a potential loss to Floyd (probably would have gotten outclassed and risked a boring fight)...the loss to Margarito made him look more like a true champ because he was able to put in some good work and show people what he was made of against tough opposition!
Walstan86
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 6 2011, 01:29 PM) *
As I stated before, it would have been a great fight for the both of them (payday/ppvs), but it wouldn't have been an entertaining fight after you selected the "BUY" button and the first bell rang. Let's face it, Cotto has exceptional handspeed, but his footwork is conditioned to fight guys that are there to be hit. Zab was the fastest guy that he fought when he was undefeated, but Zab is gonna be there to be hit (though his defense is exceptional). Floyd would avoid trading with Cotto (due to his power), so that means popshots, in-and-out movement, and frustrate your opponent down the stretch while slowly increasing punch output (by Floyd). Cotto wouldn't want to walk Floyd down all night, only to land a few punches (which would be grazing punches). That's the fight!...unless Floyd gets caught with a wild punch that changes the pace of the fight. I believe the purse split would have been an issue for the fight anyway. Floyd made 8 figures for both of those fights in '07 and was the highest paid athlete that year, so I doubt if Arum would have wanted the purse split to heavily favor Mayweather for either of those two dates that year...though the fans were in high demand of the fight. We all know/should know about the Mayweathers and GBP vs Bob Arum fued by now. I wish that Floyd would have fought him, at least that would have cut down some of the "ducking" accusations on his part, lol. Cotto wouldn't have looked so good after a potential loss to Floyd (probably would have gotten outclassed and risked a boring fight)...the loss to Margarito made him look more like a true champ because he was able to put in some good work and show people what he was made of against tough opposition!

Your rambling writing-style is strangely like some other guys on here.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Walstan86 @ Jun 6 2011, 02:15 PM) *
Your rambling writing-style is strangely like some other guys on here.

Dang bro...you don't have to hurt a brotha's feelings in the process. Lol. I try to make it as plain as possible and state as many facts as possible, thats all. I hope that you understand what I stated though. If you dont get it...then you already know what you can go and do! fuck.gif

Oh yeah...that wasn't even a complete sentence that you used for your reply. "Strangely?!" That word was used waaaay out of context. Did "writing style" present such a great challenge, that you had to use a hyphen? A hyphen wasn't even necessary dude. "Style of writing" would've washed away all of your troubles. Grammar hammer anyone? #fail haha.gif
Walstan86
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 6 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Dang bro...you don't have to hurt a brotha's feelings in the process. Lol. I try to make it as plain as possible and state as many facts as possible, thats all. I hope that you understand what I stated though. If you dont get it...then you already know what you can go and do! fuck.gif

Oh yeah...that wasn't even a complete sentence that you used for your reply. "Strangely?!" That word was used waaaay out of context. Did "writing style" present such a great challenge, that you had to use a hyphen? A hyphen wasn't even necessary dude. "Style of writing" would've washed away all of your troubles. Grammar hammer anyone? #fail haha.gif

you talk a lot.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 6 2011, 08:55 AM) *

Well sure, if Mayweather fought and beat Martinez, but when has he given any indication he plans to do that? If Pacquaio fought and beat Hopkins he would vault right back ahead of Mayweather. None of it's gonna happen.

Point is, if Mayweather actually fought the fights then his trolls wouldn't be reduced to obsessing over the accomplishments of another fighter. They could rightfully brag about his. But he doesn't fight. He doesn't do shit anymore.

This is how P4P gets settled in the 21st century apparently. Finding excuses not to fight fights and finding flaws with fights that are actually fought.

there are flaws with Pac's and Mayweather's fights once they got to a certain point in their careers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.