Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How is Mike Tyson as a commentator?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
I was watching an interview with him the other day and started wondering how he did on that 3rd party PPV where he was commentator. How does he compare to his peers? I'd have to put the others in this order:

1) George Foreman (miss him with Larry & Jim)
2) Roy Jones ( quite good)
3) Antonio Tarver (getting better but slightly annoying)
4) Lennox Lewis (terrible)
mgrover
no offence to Tyson, but I can't understand him a lot of the time, so as a commentator might not be too good. but what he actually says is a different story, since the guy speaks his mind, so I think he would make a fairly good one, he also has an in-depth knowledge of the older generations, and has studied hours and hours of Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano (may of spelt that wrong)
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Jun 4 2011, 07:58 PM) *
I was watching an interview with him the other day and started wondering how he did on that 3rd party PPV where he was commentator. How does he compare to his peers? I'd have to put the others in this order:

We dont really get that much American stuff here although what iv seen of Jones I think hes ok, although he better stop fighting soon or he won't be much use on a mike. The main reason I replied was to wholeheartedly agree with your 4th place. Lennox, loved him as a fighter, but he is fucking terrible!!!
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 4 2011, 03:09 PM) *
We dont really get that much American stuff here although what iv seen of Jones I think hes ok, although he better stop fighting soon or he won't be much use on a mike. The main reason I replied was to wholeheartedly agree with your 4th place. Lennox, loved him as a fighter, but he is fucking terrible!!!

Roy Jones can talk about the fight pretty well but most of the time he just says a few words and laughs when Max Kellerman says something to him. sometimes he'll even talk about himself in third person like "this is a Roy Jones like performance".

JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Jun 4 2011, 01:58 PM) *

Foreman wasnt bad at all...

Roy Jones does refer to himself in the 3d person too much.. also compares fighters to himself

Tarver isnt bad as long as the camera isnt lookin at him... no matter what there talkin about he smiles at the most akward moments and that crooked smile is annoyin to look at...

Lewis juss gets on my nerves... lol
lloyd mayflower
Foreman is a funny guy, I remeber him on a radio station over here, he was talking about how it annoys him cos he used to be able to kick some ass and young people nowadays just think hes a dude who invented a grill!
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 4 2011, 02:46 PM) *
Foreman is a funny guy, I remeber him on a radio station over here, he was talking about how it annoys him cos he used to be able to kick some ass and young people nowadays just think hes a dude who invented a grill!

LMAO
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I don't think any of the guys above are too good. Roy Jones if I had to pick one and I must admit I haven't heard much of Tarver but what i did here I didn't love that much.

I most like Hopkins, you can understand what he says and he elucidates himself pretty well. I've just re-watched him giving Teddy fucken Atlas a beat down on FNF's after his win against Pascal and that little midget was trying to diminish his accomplishments. He didn't lose his cool and owned Atlas. Why couldn't Atlas just man up and admit he got that all wrong? I thought Nard was classy in that one and I'd like to hear more of him.

As for Tyson I've only heard him do Maskaev/Rahman and I think Mike may have been doing the blow during that one. He sounded a little spaced out. Clean and sober I'd be interested to see him have another shot at it.

Fitz
I have liked Tarver as a commentator from what I have heard from him.
salvador
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 4 2011, 02:46 PM) *
Foreman is a funny guy,

If by "funny" you mean "manic depressive whose on-air emotional swings were usually more entertaining than the fights he was covering" then I totally agree with you.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 4 2011, 11:49 PM) *
If by "funny" you mean "manic depressive whose on-air emotional swings were usually more entertaining than the fights he was covering" then I totally agree with you.

Usually works for me
flip
I wouldn't mind Tyson as a commentator, just because hes Mike Tyson.

Imagine Pacquiao as a commentator... laugh.gif
BoxingStill#1
Mike Tyson is a bit of a historian, and would bring a very edgy side to commentating I think...main reason is you never know what he's gonna say or how he's gonna act..

Which is proberbly the main reason he hasn't been employed as a commentator yet...lls..

With that said, I think mike would be the most 'entertaining' commentator yet...

Btw who ever mentioned Bernard Hopkins as a commentator hit the nail...Bernard could proberbly top the list I think.

And whoever mentioned Pacman as one should be ashamed of themselves...
HaydelHammer
I remember Ray Leonard was good.

Kevin Kelly was ok also

Shannon Briggs....middle..not terrible but he didn't grab me.

I never liked foreman AT ALL. Complete HBO house fighting homer IMO.

Tarver ....HATED as fighter...I actually like him as a commentator

Lennox was terrible imo.

Roy has always been solid imo along with steward. Love the insight they see and explain.

I heard hearns before....terrible along with james toney. no way

JONdaCON817
never heard Tyson but they did that interview during the Cotto/Mayorga fight.. he was pretty hard on them saying.. "Its an ok fight so far.. both guys are obviously way past there prime and juss fighting for a good paychecc".. lol. everyone ring side was like "dayum harsh words from tyson but hes a tough critic"...

he may have been right about being past there primes but they were putting on a hell of a fight... and they were both swinging for the win...
Fitz
Never liked Foreman as a commentator. Always thought that he sucked, hard.
Snoop
I've actually grown to like Tarver more as a result of his commentating. Roy Jones is sharp. Unintentionally funny at times. Lennox Lewis made you cringe. Funny since he gave off this aire of being an "sophisticated" fighter. Foreman was funny too, but again, most of time not meaning to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.