Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@11PM(ET)/8PM(PT) Chavez Jr. vs. Zibik: SPOILERS 15 Minutes Later
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all action and post-fight reaction to the Chavez Jr-Zebik fight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
HazConvictedFelonMane
I will certainly be on this thang after the fights are over. My take on the fight? I really don't know too much about Chavez or Zbik. I haven't watched any film of either of the 2. I don't even know much about Chavez besides the negative things that are printed about him. I know that he tested positive for a diuretic which I think is pathetic. I did some research on said diuretic and they say it is used to mask other PEDs. They say he had no idea that the banned substance was actually a banned substance. I look forward to seeing the action later on and I'll be watching with the eye of a trainer training a fighter for a match with Chavez. Meaning I'm looking for mistakes, bad habits, and overall things that can be capitalized on. I'm looking at the overall form and fluidity of his technique. I may be a lil biased because of all of the negative things I've read. Him being late, him being a poser, a fraud, untested, and so forth. I'll see if I can find something to respect about this fighter tonight.

(Admin Note. Partial post deleted for going too far off topic.)
Jack 1000
Remember to keep the conversation exclusive to the Chavez Jr-Zibik fight and it's undercard in this thread. You can also talk ABOUT Chavez Jr, or Zibik but nothing else. We had to edit/delete two posts that had nothing to do with Chavez-Zibik.

Jack

Administrator
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 4 2011, 04:19 PM) *
I may be a lil biased because of all of the negative things I've read. Him being late, him being a poser, a fraud, untested, and so forth. I'll see if I can find something to respect about this fighter tonight.

(Admin Note. Partial post deleted for going too far off topic.)

How can you give an honest evaluation of someone if already have a bias? Be a free thinker and not a follower.
caneman
JCC JR wishes he was like his Daddy! Is it me or does Roy Jones sound a little different? Are all these KOes getting the better of him?
HaydelHammer
anybody watching this shit? wtf is up with chavez jf defense pawing with the glove and shit? Fuck he think he is floyd mayweather or some shit.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 4 2011, 11:07 PM) *
JCC JR wishes he was like his Daddy! Is it me or does Roy Jones sound a little different? Are all these KOes getting the better of him?

He stumbling over his words. Same speed but he's definitely fumbling over his words tonight it seems. Not as crisp as usual.

caneman
JR lost yet we know he will get the nod! I guess I can't score...well honestly I didn't score it on paper so...
E.C.LEGEND
The fight was close but I think Zibik did enough to keep his belt.
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 4 2011, 11:40 PM) *
JR lost yet we know he will get the nod! I guess I can't score...well honestly I didn't score it on paper so...

he got 116-111 on one card. it's close but Chavez Jr wasn't going to get beat, especially not in LA. his goofy ass could connect with nothing but air and have people screaming. i think a draw would have been fair.
Spyder
Every one of Jr's fights look like sparring sessions....and not in a good way.
HaydelHammer
this dude got rail roaded imo. JCC jr train is a circus.
caneman
yea sure, he'll take on Maravilla and get stopped in 4 to 5 rounds!
Prov0
chavez is a bum ,living off his daddys name! this fight was a draw imo..wow listen to max kellerman lol. tell it like it is lol..chavez had connections lol.
Spyder
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 4 2011, 11:46 PM) *

That won't happen until Bob is done cashing those checks.
HaydelHammer
Roy keeping it real but also in denial on his continued fighting LOL
kidbazooka1
It was actually a very entertaining fight Zbik like i mentioned before was a very good fighter with good speed and skill but Chavez body attack wore him down and made the difference. Zbik landed more shots but Chavez landed the more damgaging blows it all depends what you like.

Very good fight and good win for Chavez i thought he was gonona gas out but he showed lots of heart for a rich kid.

Garcia is a bad lil fighter with a heavy ass right hand i see him doing big things in the Fw division.

gravytrain
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Jun 4 2011, 11:46 PM) *
this dude got rail roaded imo. JCC jr train is a circus.

i don't think Chavez Jr won but it's close. i give him that. i think a draw would have been good but Chavez Jr won at most by a point. it's some bullshit though and even though i didn't score it on paper i think Zibik won. it's kind of like Judah vs Matthysse for me. it came down to the wire and it could have went either way by a point.

these cats are a fucking joke though, Chavez Jr and Canelo are just going to fight some chumps and stay protected.

QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 4 2011, 11:46 PM) *

it would be ugly. Maravilla will put him back to the bum of the month club.

Romulus9
117-111 Zbik

Highway fucking robbery.

Somewhere, Pernell Whitaker can relate because this was September 10, 1993 redux.

Fucking robbery.

Of course... is ANYONE surprised? We all knew that Zbik would have to win ten rounds to get a draw and, damn it, he only won nine.

PLEASE let him sign to fight Martinez next so Sergio can send Junior to twitchville inside 4.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 5 2011, 12:02 AM) *
117-111 Zbik

Highway fucking robbery.

Somewhere, Pernell Whitaker can relate because this was September 10, 1993 redux.

Fucking robbery.

Of course... is ANYONE surprised? We all knew that Zbik would have to win ten rounds to get a draw and, damn it, he only won nine.

PLEASE let him sign to fight Martinez next so Sergio can send Junior to twitchville inside 4.

i don't know about you but it's looking like Chavez Jr was thinking awfully hard about how he could respond to that.
caneman
off topic but just had to share it!!! http://thekoncretejungle.com/2011/06/04/wh...-martinez-take/
HaydelHammer
sergio lost in the shuffle.

SAD
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Jun 5 2011, 12:18 AM) *
sergio lost in the shuffle.

SAD

SMH. Sergio will never face Pacman because Uncle Blob Arum knows that Maravilla will scorch Pacman with or without the power pellets that Ariza feeds him. Mayweather is still dealing with huge legal issues,still on vacation and also his trainer is under a case too. Cotto is still one of Blob's cashcows so he won' sacrifice him again so soon. Martinez needs to fight the big boys. People in his own division is ducking him and also the people under his own division are too. Would love to see Zsolt vs Martinez. I smell a instant pure boxing classic. for real thinking men only.
JONdaCON817
what were the score cards??... Princess Julio didnt lose??... FUCC!!!!!!!!!!!....

ide love to see Sergio give him the PWILL treatment...

i wanna yell at the tv "YOU GOT KNOCCED THE FUCC OUT!!"...
kidbazooka1
Chavez won a world title without haveing any amatuer fights the guy has already accomplished more than was expected of him and because of his style he makes for exciting fights.

As for Sergio NO f*cking way he fight him and thats understandable. Martinez would beat anyone from 147-168 IMO so i don't see Arum letting Chavez anywhere near him.

Chavez/Cotto would be a very good fight and a comeptitve one at 160lb.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I also thought this was a robbery. However, everybody knew Chavez was getting a decision regardless of how the fight went. No way was he losing this decision with the Cotto fight out there and so much money on the table. Chavez did land the more damaging blows, but when a fighter is outlanded that badly in rounds you have to give the other fighter credit. Zbik landed at will and outlanded Chavez by 20 or so punches in the first five rounds. I thought he swept those pretty clearly. Yes, Chavez came back in 6 and 7, but it's not like those were super clear rounds for Chavez. He was still getting hit a lot. Zbik came back and won rounds 8 and 9 though clearly. Harold is a fucking blind moron for giving Chavez the 8th, and he was pretty blind in this fight. 8 rounds for Chavez is atrocious. Chavez did win 10,11, and 12 though. That got him the victory, but I saw five rounds at best for Julio. Expect to see Cotto-Chavez next after Margarito's eye won't heal.
kidbazooka1
I think ppl including myself may have different views of this fight if your anti-chavez like alot of ppl here are and wanted to see him get KTFO you saw only the good things Zbik did and nothing good from Chavez and if your a Chavez fan(or a huge fan of his dad like myself)you saw the good body work he did and the damage he did with them in the middle and late rds.

The fight was close and it would not have been a robbery of Zbik took it by majority decision just as its not a robbery that Chavez won.
Allmenjoi8
Chavez Jr did not win that fight. He did not beat the champion. This kid has 0 punching power. He has a great chin, Zbik on paper won this fight. It should of been a draw. Both fighters were done by the 7th round. He basically had a home crowd in Los Angeles. I felt the Glen Johnson and Froch match was the same. Neither fighter really stood out. If Chavez Jr faces anyone with a good upper cut and punching power, its over. Kellerman said it right: The last name and the good looks will take this kid far. I agree, Roy Jones is getting punchy. He needs not ever box again.
Prov0
boxingscene is reporting that Chavez vs Margarito or Cotto could be next.and that when Bob was asked about Martinez he quickly said no hes not a PPV attraction.
this is getting ridicolous wit Bob and top rank! top rank only fight with in top rank and we already kno whos going to win before the fight happens .bob is not going to let cotto or margarito beat this bum.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Prov0 @ Jun 5 2011, 02:03 AM) *
boxingscene is reporting that Chavez vs Margarito or Cotto could be next.and that when Bob was asked about Martinez he quickly said no hes not a PPV attraction.
this is getting ridicolous wit Bob and top rank! top rank only fight with in top rank and we already kno whos going to win before the fight happens .bob is not going to let cotto or margarito beat this bum.

Sergio would KTFO JCC jr. Let's be real. LMAO.

Marg or Cotto would take him to the wire imo. Make anyone of those three fights happen and if he wins...he's legit.
caneman
I re-watched the fight & I admit JCC landed the harder punches, he just didn't land enough IMO...he was outlanded 2 and 3 to 1 in I would say 7 or 8 of the rounds....I ain't talking about cumpubox, I mean what I seen!!! Maybe I have lost it & can't even score a fight after scoring then for over 35 years! I guess I just suck cause I feel the closest it could have been was 115-113 Zibik, I scored it 116-112!
caneman
And what happened to the days that no matter who was scoring a fight, it was within 2-3 rounds difference tops! I mean say I had it 116-112 for Zibik yet someone has it 116-112 the other way...that's 8 rounds difference..I dunno, maybe I just suck & dunno what I am talking about! WTF though?
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 4 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Remember to keep the conversation exclusive to the Chavez Jr-Zibik fight and it's undercard in this thread. You can also talk ABOUT Chavez Jr, or Zibik but nothing else. We had to edit/delete two posts that had nothing to do with Chavez-Zibik.

Jack

Administrator

That's censorship! Not cool.
I enjoyed the fight. I like the way JCCjr really digs to the body. I think Zbik was out of his mind for banging heads and not using distance. Chavez deserved to win tha fight in my opinion. Too bad he has a date with the emeritus champion. We'll see how well he can absorb the shots of a guy that can punch. I take Sergio by KO.
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 5 2011, 02:12 AM) *
Floyd who?

You mean that guy that retired more than a year ago?

Who cares?

QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 5 2011, 11:13 AM) *
I re-watched the fight & I admit JCC landed the harder punches, he just didn't land enough IMO...he was outlanded 2 and 3 to 1 in I would say 7 or 8 of the rounds....I ain't talking about cumpubox, I mean what I seen!!! Maybe I have lost it & can't even score a fight after scoring then for over 35 years! I guess I just suck cause I feel the closest it could have been was 115-113 Zibik, I scored it 116-112!

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 5 2011, 11:52 AM) *
Hey caneman, I suppose I could see it as a draw. I might even understand 115-113 Zbik. It was a close, hard fought battle. I was watching the fight through the eyes of someone who was pulling for Zbik but knew that if it went to the cards, Zbik had little to no chance.

That said, I honestly scored the fight 115-113 for Princess Julio. IMO, he earned the victory. I had Zbik taking the first 4 rounds and 8. I haven't re-watched it yet though.

My mistake, I did have it 115-113 but for Zibik and between you and what Hype had, I guess I wasn't to far off but still I guess it could have been a draw but no way did I see it for JCC Jr. Even though he landed the harder punches, just not enough of them.
gravytrain
i think it should have been a draw. at most i would give it to either guy by a point. despite the win Chavez looked real shitty. if Arum made him vs Martinez a PPV i would buy it just to see him get schooled.
gravytrain
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 5 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Why not Angulo v Princess Chavez?

I agree that last night's fight could have very easily gone either way. I have to give Zbik credit for being a quality pro, which means (as distasteful as it is for me) I also have to give The Princess props for hanging in there and pounding out an old school victory to the body.

i've more respect for Chavez Jr after the fight for staying in there. someone can say that Zibik doesn't have much power but Chavez still made it close and didn't back down from the challenge. when Chavez Jr was trying to actually box i actually kind of regretted my pick because he looked like he was losing confidence with a quickness, he came through for me though. him and the judges anyway lol.

i would much rather see Chavez Jr get knocked out like Martinez got PWill than him and Angulo go to war.
kidbazooka1
I don't see why anyone would hate on Chavez the kid fought with a lot of heart last night he wanted it and with the exception of the haters i didn't see a single writer that thought it was a robbery a close fight either way yes but not a robbery. The kid is just trying to go as far as he can and beingthat he's never had an amatuer fight he's done pretty dman good so far. If you've ever boxed you know how hard it is to fight for three mins of every rd. Chavez fought hard for 12 rds.

I thought the fight wasa pick em' cause from what i've seen of Zbik he can fight and was undefeated and considering how Chavez came up and the way he won last night it was somewhat impressive. Yes the kid got alot of exposure early in his career cause of his old man but thats not his fault he didn't ask for it it just comes with the territory in any sport when your the son of an all time great athlete but you've never heard the kid call him self the best or boast about anything.

Even thought Chavez was a rich kid he didn't fight like one last night he grinded out the win and won it on heart and determination you could see how bad he wanted as he kept throwing despite being very tired at the end.

As for Sergio i don't know a single person that thinks Chavez can beat him like i stated befoer Martinez beats anyone from 147-168 IMO so theres no shame in that. I would like to see Chavez/Cotto thats a much more competitve fight that could go either way.
BigG
I liked Chavez performance. Zibik is a quality contender with pretty fast hands I thought from like round 5 on it was mostly Chavez fight. Good inside work...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (BigG @ Jun 5 2011, 06:15 PM) *
I liked Chavez performance. Zibik is a quality contender with pretty fast hands I thought from like round 5 on it was mostly Chavez fight. Good inside work...

Chavez has done very well with what talent he has if only Roach can have him move his a head a lil more he'll make things a lil easier on himself. That bodywork was very nice though just like Max said you don't see commitment to the body like that any more in boxing.
gravytrain
QUOTE (BigG @ Jun 5 2011, 06:15 PM) *

that's the problem right there. Zibik wasn't a contender, he was the champion. he held the title. this is the same shit as Canelo just with a different promoter. he'll have his title and take some more safe fights then move to PPV and stay protected.
caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 5 2011, 07:28 PM) *
that's the problem right there. Zibik wasn't a contender, he was the champion. he held the title. this is the same shit as Canelo just with a different promoter. he'll have his title and take some more safe fights then move to PPV and stay protected.

Hell bro, weren't close to 1/3 of his fights PPV already? For fighting no bodies! Too bad he won't fight Canelo though! Just saying!
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 5 2011, 09:44 PM) *
Hell bro, weren't close to 1/3 of his fights PPV already? For fighting no bodies! Too bad he won't fight Canelo though! Just saying!

i think he fought on that Latin Fury shit lol. Latin Fury 500: Chavez Jr vs his daddy. i'm talking about an actual network PPV like with HBO or Showtime, that could be happening real soon now that he's a belt. dude had a big crowd at Staples center on his own. Canelo is about to be on PPV, his next fight is guaranteed to be a PPV. GBP already called it and it will probably be against Mayorga.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
At first when I first thought about Canelo v. Chavez Jr I thought it would be a walkover for Canelo. Now I'm not so sure.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 5 2011, 11:40 PM) *
At first when I first thought about Canelo v. Chavez Jr I thought it would be a walkover for Canelo. Now I'm not so sure.

i think Chavez Jr's size will be hard for him, he was 180 on fight night. i don't know how much power Canelo actually has but JCC Jr does leave himself open and if Canelo can hit i think JCC Jr would lose. if Canelo doesn't have the power i think JCC Jr works his way to a decision.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 5 2011, 10:40 PM) *

It wouldn't be a walk in the park fight for either guy.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 5 2011, 08:38 AM) *
Princess Julio made an impressive adjustment and comeback v Zbik last night. He made the move towards a focused and relentless body attack around 5 and rode that vehicle to a close, hard fought decision.

I obviously don't especially like Princess Julio, but I have to give him his due on last night's performance. It was not perty. It was not dominating. It was not clear cut.

It was a gutty performance.

Sure, we all knew that if this went to the cards that The Princess would get the decision. That said, he earned the victory over a determined pro.

Sure, it was a tailor made match but he had to get up in there and take it. The politics is bullshit. The business is rotten. But Chavez Jr. earned his victory and his paycheck last night.

I thought Chavez Jr. won a very close fight 115-113 Zibik did very well and threw more punches, but Chavez did just a little better body work. The scores reflected that the decision was fair. 114-114, 115-113 and 116-112 for Chavez. Many people hate Chavez Jr. for living off his father's name. But he pulled of a deserved victory in a hard to score fight. This was no robbery, and I was looking for a robbery throughout the fight.

BUT resent still has to be leveled at the fact that this was a title fight. That's the part that is fucking bullshit. Either Zibik or Chavez Jr. would get MURDERED by any half-asses decent middleweights of the past and present. This was a good scrap ESPN caliber fight for a belt and nothing more. For Kellerman to inquire about Chavez Jr. fighting Sergio Martinez is laughable. Arum and the WBC will never allow that. Poor Julio Jr. may wind up in a coma.

Now the question is, who CANNOT beat Julio C Chavez Jr? This is the train of opponents that I see Arum and the WBC trying to get for him:

Sergio Mora
Peter Manfredo
Shane Mosley- (So far gone, but big name)
If they come back:

Delahoya
Hatton
Trinidad

Than they can promote. "Son of a Legend fights the legends."

Maybe Margarito with his bad eye.

Point is, Chavez Jr. is still a C grade fighter and he is almost going to have to face no-hopers and washed up fighters to stay champion.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.