Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime deliberately screwed over Shane?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
FightHypeRules
Last week on another site this guy was ripping Showtime for their releasing the footage of Shane asking for the fight to be stopped, saying that Showtime was trying to find a scapegoat for selling this fight so hard when they knew it was going to be a dud.

He said that he'd follow up after this past weekend's show of Fightcamp if he still felt that way based on the advance footage.

Today he followed up and it's very interesting what Showtime apparently did regarding Mosley's girlfriend's comments.

Whatever the case may be let me share a phone call I received shortly after it aired on Saturday. The call came from one of our correspondents, Cesar Garcia who himself is a scrappy pro fighter here in Los Angeles.

Garcia said, “You know Trillo, I read your article and thought it was a bit over the top but after watching Fight Camp I think you may be on to something!”

Having not yet seen the video I asked Garcia to explain. He said, “Around the 10th round they show Mosley’s girlfriend Bella Gonzalez get up and yell something in Spanish and the translation they put up was dead wrong. In Spanish she says, Papi vamonos, Papi vamanos! Le Viene que meter su Fu..ing piñaso!” Their translation read, “Baby let’s go! He’s making you his fu..ing bitch!”

“That’s not what she said,” claimed Garcia. She said, “Baby let’s go Baby let’s go, You have to fu..ing put it on him!”

Garcia then said, “At first I thought you were just being an overly critical media guy but when I saw this…I think you are right! I went back and played that over and over again to see if I was wrong, but that is what I heard. When my girl came home I had her listen to it and she agreed, she said the Showtime translation was way off too.” Garcia questioned Showtimes intention for this airing now as well.

I thanked Garcia and told him I would watch.

The footage was exactly as he said.

Not having a firm grasp on Spanish I contacted our ace writer in Puerto Rico Luis Cadiz and asked him if he would listen to it and tell me what he heard. Luis called me when he got home and listened to it for the first time as we were on the phone. Cadiz agreed and said basically the same thing. Cadiz said he heard her say, “Daddy get him, Daddy get him, You have to give him an fu..ing beating!”

http://pound4pound.com/BillysBoxingBlog/20...crews-to-shane/

Now whatever you think about this fight, whatever you think about Shane's performance (or lack thereof), what possible justification or rationalization can be made for them seemingly DELIBERATELY misquoting Bella to make her comments more inflammatory?

I think Showtime needs to be called out and have their feet put to the fire on this issue. You can argue the "Shane asking to quit" part is fair game, but mis translating Bella is incompetence at best and something else at worse.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (FightHypeRules @ Jun 6 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Last week on another site this guy was ripping Showtime for their releasing the footage of Shane asking for the fight to be stopped, saying that Showtime was trying to find a scapegoat for selling this fight so hard when they knew it was going to be a dud.

He said that he'd follow up after this past weekend's show of Fightcamp if he still felt that way based on the advance footage.

Today he followed up and it's very interesting what Showtime apparently did regarding Mosley's girlfriend's comments.

Now whatever you think about this fight, whatever you think about Shane's performance (or lack thereof), what possible justification or rationalization can be made for them seemingly DELIBERATELY misquoting Bella to make her comments more inflammatory?

I think Showtime needs to be called out and have their feet put to the fire on this issue. You can argue the "Shane asking to quit" part is fair game, but mis translating Bella is incompetence at best and something else at worse.

LOL @ the translation of Mosley's GF saying Pacman made him is bitch. Yeah, I will never respect the likes of Roach and Manny's team they keep feasting on guys who aren't at their best. Mosley asked for this fight back when he KO'd Margarito. They ducked him of course. I can bet you it would have been a more competitive fight if he would have fought Mosley and he would have out doned Mayweather in fighting a more dangerous opponent (May vs JMM). But again May showed what real champs do and fought and whooped Mosley's ass and took his confidence with him. SMH. Fuck Showtime. HBO ALL DAY
Walstan86
Shane screwed himself. plain and simple. Can't blame showtime.
HaydelHammer
last time I checked, manny was making shane his bitch during that timeframe.

Extant
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jun 6 2011, 09:47 AM) *
LOL @ the translation of Mosley's GF saying Pacman made him is bitch. Yeah, I will never respect the likes of Roach and Manny's team they keep feasting on guys who aren't at their best. Mosley asked for this fight back when he KO'd Margarito. They ducked him of course. I can bet you it would have been a more competitive fight if he would have fought Mosley and he would have out doned Mayweather in fighting a more dangerous opponent (May vs JMM). But again May showed what real champs do and fought and whooped Mosley's ass and took his confidence with him. SMH. Fuck Showtime. HBO ALL DAY

Damn!!! When will this shit end??? This is a thread about Showtime's mistranslation and apparent misstreatment of Mosley. I didn't see Pacman or Mayweather NO WHERE in this thread. DOG ON!!!!
Extant
QUOTE (Walstan86 @ Jun 6 2011, 10:08 AM) *
Shane screwed himself. plain and simple. Can't blame showtime.

Still doesn't give Showtime an excuse to mistranslate something that could greatly and unjustly effect Mosley's public image and relationship with a woman who was actually supporting him.
FightHypeRules
QUOTE (Extant @ Jun 6 2011, 03:01 PM) *
Still doesn't give Showtime an excuse to mistranslate something that could greatly and unjustly effect Mosley's public image and relationship with a woman who was actually supporting him.

exactly. At BEST it was incompetence on the part of Showtime and their translater. At WORST there was a concerted effort to humiliate someone.

As the author of that post mentioned prior, why would anyone want to do give extra access to Showtime, after this?

He made a comment that was interesting prior to the Fightcamp airing, but after the footage of Mosely asking to stop the fight came out:

I am not sure why Team Mosley allowed themselves to be mic’d up, but I know it’s a decision they regret now. In all honesty I doubt other corners will allow themselves such up close and personal coverage from now on.

And rightly so.

Don’t kid yourselves. This is not the first time a fighter has looked for a way out of a fight in between rounds and it most certainly won’t be the last. Yes, we expect much more from our Champions, but seriously, until you have a fighter bouncing leather off your face you are in no position to judge, never mind completely expose a struggling fighter who can’t defend himself against a superior foe.

I agree. If I were involved with a fighter (or was the fighter) on Showtime from now on, I would never agree to be mic'd up, after what Showtime did this time.
Hops
Mosley deserves the public humiliation. Simple as that.
Walstan86
QUOTE (Extant @ Jun 6 2011, 06:01 PM) *

Whether Showtime mistranslated is a matter still at issue, as far as I know. I won't conclude any wrongdoing on their part yet.
Box in Hand
I look at it like this Shane deserves to be publicly bitched because of his actions. Now the translation thing was messed up but I guarantee he wouldn't have gotten that if he went out and fought like he talked. Fuck that smiling ass Avatar face dude.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hops @ Jun 6 2011, 06:49 PM) *

...or he can give my $55 back, but I know that wont happen...so yeah, he deserves the public humiliation. rap.gif
Big Slim Sweet
If this is true she should sue. They took comments she made in support of someone and made her sound disloyal. Showtime is clearly trying to save face by jumping on the Fuck Mosley bandwagon. Mosley's performance merited public mocking for sure, but what Showtime did here sounds criminal. And it's not Shane they disgraced, but his girl, who did not do anything to deserve such treatment.
Hops
The gf must leave Mosley now and tell the world how she made a mistake hooking up with the Flinch.
FightHypeRules
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 7 2011, 06:13 AM) *
If this is true she should sue. They took comments she made in support of someone and made her sound disloyal. Showtime is clearly trying to save face by jumping on the Fuck Mosley bandwagon. Mosley's performance merited public mocking for sure, but what Showtime did here sounds criminal. And it's not Shane they disgraced, but his girl, who did not do anything to deserve such treatment.

exaaaaactly!
The CEO
Right on, Slim...

This really makes Showtime, Top Rank, and Team Pacquiao look bad too...which is par for the course for those last two lately...lol

P.S.~ After the hip to the scoop today, FightHype officially DOES rule...the other sites didn't even reference it...lol...respect to your name, dude.

thumbsup_anim.gif
caneman
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 7 2011, 08:13 AM) *

Very good points Big Slim...I remember seeing her breathing heavy and clearly upset! I wish I knew Spanish well to hear for myself what was said! I mean one thing is unless SSM speaks it, why would she yell @ him in Spanish! Although having talk dirty in Spanish while shagging would be great! lol
alaganza
QUOTE (Hops @ Jun 6 2011, 06:49 PM) *

Really? One fight taints his whole career? That's pretty harsh bro. It's your opinion and I respect it. But, considering the body of work over a career, public humiliation does seem a bit harsh.
Fitz
It's really quite amazing. Shane Mosley who has given it his all for most of his career is kicked while down at 40 years old, and then you have a jackass like Ortiz who was young and when he should have been the hungriest, quits and nobody gives a shit about him being picked for Mayweather (I don't have a problem with it, but still).
Duran is allowed to quit, Oscar quit on his stool against Pacquiao and doesn't get this hate. Nobody likes a quitter, but when a guy has proven himself throughout his career and his mark against him is at 40 years old, then people are being harsh. I have been very, very surprised at the shit Mosley has gotten. I know for the fight he should have copped shit, it was a terrible performance, but Mosley's career is being summed up on a one off 40 year old performance.
The surprising thing is, that it's coming from guys who I thought had a decent head on their shoulders when it came to boxing, lol.
alaganza
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 9 2011, 12:36 AM) *
It's really quite amazing. Shane Mosley who has given it his all for most of his career is kicked while down at 40 years old, and then you have a jackass like Ortiz who was young and when he should have been the hungriest, quits and nobody gives a sh*t about him being picked for Mayweather (I don't have a problem with it, but still).
Duran is allowed to quit, Oscar quit on his stool against Pacquiao and doesn't get this hate. Nobody likes a quitter, but when a guy has proven himself throughout his career and his mark against him is at 40 years old, then people are being harsh. I have been very, very surprised at the sh*t Mosley has gotten. I know for the fight he should have copped sh*t, it was a terrible performance, but Mosley's career is being summed up on a one off 40 year old performance.
The surprising thing is, that it's coming from guys who I thought had a decent head on their shoulders when it came to boxing, lol.

Good post
iKeNjiro
they did do Shane dirty
but keep in mind Pacman had a horrible showing against an old Mosley
so this was to make it look better for Pacman...wrong translation and so on
you have to understand Pacman is the Media's doll and they will continue to make any excuses for this man
when it's all said and done history will look back and the truth will be told....
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 8 2011, 11:36 PM) *
It's really quite amazing. Shane Mosley who has given it his all for most of his career is kicked while down at 40 years old, and then you have a jackass like Ortiz who was young and when he should have been the hungriest, quits and nobody gives a shit about him being picked for Mayweather (I don't have a problem with it, but still).
Duran is allowed to quit, Oscar quit on his stool against Pacquiao and doesn't get this hate. Nobody likes a quitter, but when a guy has proven himself throughout his career and his mark against him is at 40 years old, then people are being harsh. I have been very, very surprised at the shit Mosley has gotten. I know for the fight he should have copped shit, it was a terrible performance, but Mosley's career is being summed up on a one off 40 year old performance.

Excellent post Fitz. It's been startling how harsh the backlash has been. Holyfield quit on his stool a few months ago against Sherman Williams citing a phony injury but no one crucified him. No one called his entire career into question based off it.

I suppose the magnitude of the event has a lot to do with it. But what's ironic is I bet a lot of the guys who are really ragging on Shane were guys who knew this match-up was a farce from the minute it got signed. Based on Mosley's last two performances against PBF and Mora no one should have expected any more from him. The real injustice was that he got the fight in the first place.

It's a case of 'What have you done for me lately?' Shane gives 15+ years of hard fights then bitches out and now he's a permanent fraud in the eyes of many. Ortiz quits in the middle of a round at 22 then says it's not fair for him to have to be punched in the face but all it takes is one fight to be redeemed and now suddenly he's the best opponent Mayweather or Pacquiao have ever faced.

One thing I'll say though, had the internet been around 30 years ago I'm sure Duran would have gotten a TON of shit for no mas.

Julio Cesar Chavez and Eric Morales are two more guys who quit in fights where they were overmatched towards the end of their career. Barrera tried to quit in the first fight with Manny as well. I don't think anyone questions the heart of any of those guys.
lloyd mayflower
Kostya Tszyu ended his career on a stool. and iv got nothing but good things to say about him. With Mosley its the manner in which he fought from the first bell, then trying to quit, thats causing the backlash. IMO anyway
BoxingFan86
Personally, I think Shane caught hell, 'cause a lot people felt like he just came for the payday.
Big Slim Sweet
Shane did fight like shit, and he did just come for the payday, and he did deserve to be flamed for it. No question. But he's also personified the 'anybody, anywhere, anytime' mantra throughout his career, and it's garbage that some suit at Showtime decided to lie to the world and say Shane's own girl called him somebody's bitch when she didn't.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 10 2011, 06:53 PM) *
Shane did fight like shit, and he did just come for the payday, and he did deserve to be flamed for it. No question. But he's also personified the 'anybody, anywhere, anytime' mantra throughout his career, and it's garbage that some suit at Showtime decided to lie to the world and say Shane's own girl called him somebody's bitch when she didn't.

Do any of you believe that translation incident was done with malicious intent or do you think it was an honest mistake?
FightHypeRules
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 10 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Do any of you believe that translation incident was done with malicious intent or do you think it was an honest mistake?

Well, you tell me.

According to the article I posted in the first post, the writer asked several people, and all of them said that what Bella said was:

"In Spanish she says, Papi vamonos, Papi vamanos! Le Viene que meter su Fucking piñaso!” Their translation read, “Baby let’s go! He’s making you his fucking bitch!”

“That’s not what she said,” claimed Garcia. She said, “Baby let’s go Baby let’s go, You have to fucking put it on him!”"

Now, can anyone in here who knows Spanish, validate that? The people, the writer asked including Cesar Garcia, a "scrappy pro fighter in LA", who said that he and his girl both heard "You have to fucking put it on him".

Another person Luis Cadiz (writer for that site), said that Shane said "you have to give him a fucking beating".

So, assuming that those people are correct, is there a reason that they translated that as they did? I understand that certain phrases can be translated loosely and things can vary, but is there THAT much "loose translation" that can have a phrase that multiple people who speak Spanish translated as "give him a fucking beating" or "fucking put it on him", and yet someone at Showtime translated as "he's making you his fucking bitch"?

I don't know Spanish myself, so I would have to defer to those who speak the language.

I'll see if I can find video posted online, and those who speak it can hear it for themselves, and determine whether or not that's what she said.

If it is NOT what she said, what other reason could there be, aside from malicious intent, to change it to what they changed it to?

As to WHY they would do that...I don't know.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (FightHypeRules @ Jun 11 2011, 02:44 AM) *
Well, you tell me.

According to the article I posted in the first post, the writer asked several people, and all of them said that what Bella said was:

Now, can anyone in here who knows Spanish, validate that? The people, the writer asked including Cesar Garcia, a "scrappy pro fighter in LA", who said that he and his girl both heard "You have to fucking put it on him".

Another person Luis Cadiz (writer for that site), said that Shane said "you have to give him a fucking beating".

So, assuming that those people are correct, is there a reason that they translated that as they did? I understand that certain phrases can be translated loosely and things can vary, but is there THAT much "loose translation" that can have a phrase that multiple people who speak Spanish translated as "give him a fucking beating" or "fucking put it on him", and yet someone at Showtime translated as "he's making you his fucking bitch"?

I don't know Spanish myself, so I would have to defer to those who speak the language.

I'll see if I can find video posted online, and those who speak it can hear it for themselves, and determine whether or not that's what she said.

If it is NOT what she said, what other reason could there be, aside from malicious intent, to change it to what they changed it to?

As to WHY they would do that...I don't know.

Personally, I think they did it to get back at Shane for his lackluster performance, but that's my personal opinion. My opinion doesn't make it fact.
FightHypeRules
NOTE: on Boxden, this was posted, along with a note from one of the members that said the following:

Horrible translation, thats not what she said... she said "tienes que metele tu fucking pinazo" something around there, which basically is "You have to fucking hit him hard" it can be translated different ways but it means hit him hard with your blows.

terp
QUOTE (FightHypeRules @ Jun 11 2011, 02:44 AM) *
Well, you tell me.

Another person Luis Cadiz (writer for that site), said that Shane said "you have to give him a fucking beating"...

i think she said "you can fuck me after you beat him!" yahoo.gif
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (FightHypeRules @ Jun 11 2011, 02:51 AM) *
NOTE: on Boxden, this was posted, along with a note from one of the members that said the following:

man look at that a$$ in that dress. Thanks for the post man. LOL
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Jun 11 2011, 04:12 PM) *
man look at that a$$ in that dress. Thanks for the post man. LOL

In the end, Shane still won. He got paid, plus he went home to Bella Gonzalez. It must be nice. Damn!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.