Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst PPV Fight in Boxing History?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Sup All,

What do you believe was the worst PPV fight in boxing history? I saw this questioned in another thread and I think it deserves its own topic. This can be either a fight that you thought could have been good going in and totally fucking sucked, or a fight that totally sucked going in and the stench still continues to this day. The worst I think was the following fight:

Tyson-Selden: Not only because it was well known that Seldon and no chin, but he did the best (worst?) impression of Liston going down against Ali in that non-fight. It was such bullshit! They called it "The Liberation. Champion vs. Champion" because Seldon had the WBA title at that time. An absolute joke and a travesty for all involved.

My other dishonorable mention:

Tyson-McNeeley: A fight that not have happened. A fight believed by many to be a set up from the get-go that McNeeley's trainer was going to stop it the first time that this bozo got in trouble, and that's what happened.

Some mild credit to McNeeley for actually brawling in there for as short as it was and for probably giving Tyson one of his best action 90 seconds he ever had. This journeymen actually lasted longer and did better than Michael Spinks who was a multiple world champion. But the Mcneeley fight just looked like a disgusting WWE type set up. I remember it was so bad that many cable systems did not even carry it until the last minute.

Jack
mrwigi
i would have to say almost any tyson fight in the late 80's. Talk about a waste of money.

Ive heard people say floyd vs. baldomir was the worse, but i dont agree. It wasnt the best fight or anywhere near close to it, but i know it wasnt the worst.
gravytrain
Hopkins vs Jones II
SmartyBeardo
So far I'm batting 1000%. Missed all of the above.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Barrera-Kelley by far....Kevin Kelley was so washed up at this point, and the fight only last four rounds. On top of that, there were only two undercard fights. Carbajal-Dotse was a two round blowout, while the other undercard fight featured the wonderful Smoke Gainer. 18 rounds for 45 bucks, and there weren't many entertaining rounds. Yea, that was a mistake to get that.

At least Hopkins-Jones 2 had a decent undercard. Mora-Green and Litzau-Juarez were pretty good fights, while Ismayl Sillakh made a name for himself that night. I'm a bit young for the Tyson fights, but weren't the majority of those shown in bars at the time. My brother told me he watched Tyson-Spinks at a bar at least.

Thunderbox 2002 by Cedric Kushner was a pretty shitty event, but in all fairness you get what you pay for. The PPV was only 20 dollars. I also remember Butterbean fought a 50 year old Larry Holmes on PPV, which I didn't order. However, it may have been worth it to see an old Holmes school Butterbean.
PlayaPartner
Pacquio vs Mosley: Because Mosley just ran from Pac and did not try to hit him and tried to quit because of a blister. Pac did not make it bad but he never should have chose Mosley.
leonthegee
Mayweather vs Baldomir because of the matchup.
MontoyaWA
Pacquiou v. Clottey... The worst...
Romulus9
Lennox Lewis vs. Michael Grant is right up there.

Tough to top Hector Camacho Sr. vs. Yory Boy Campas. I think that has to be number one.
BoxingWizard23
Mosley vs Mora

Pacman vs Mosley

Alvarez vs Hatton

Mean Mister Mustard
In terms of an HBO PPV, Mayweather-Baldomir was one of the worst in recent times. I think they had Paul Williams fighting some no hoper in there.

DLH-Pacquiao was also a bad one. 3 prospects versus 3 no hopers and they all ended by early knockouts.

Interesting that the Mayweather-JMM undercard, which looked good on paper, ended up being a bit lackluster.
Get0ffdanutzz
My 1st PPV with my OWN money was Tyson-Holyfield, "The Bite". With all the hype around that fight; and with the way it ended (although history making) it was just pathetic...!!!!
alaganza
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 8 2011, 03:51 PM) *
Hopkins vs Jones II

In terms of relavance this had to be the worst. (or at least one of) These guys fought once and then 88 years later they decide to fight again. And on PPV.

This was a boycott fight for me. To this day I still refuse to even watch a replay. thumbsup_anim.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jun 8 2011, 06:33 PM) *
Mosley vs Mora

Pacman vs Mosley

Alvarez vs Hatton

I think Alverez-Hatton was HBO but good choice because that fight was shit!

Lewis-Tua was also a let down, because everyone exprected it to be a war, and David didn't do shit.

Jack
BigG
Pacquiao vs Mosley
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BigG @ Jun 9 2011, 01:12 AM) *
Pacquiao vs Mosley

Mora/Mosley was worse. Much worse.
iKeNjiro
Recently

Mosley vs Mora and Pacquiao vs Mosley was a tie

ummmmm Floyd and Oscar was pretty bad lol I fell asleep and I am a fan of Floyd's sad.gif
Hey I was sleepy man long day lol
lloyd mayflower
Wasnt Evander Holyfields last fight on PPV in the US?

Far as im concerned, Haye v Harrison is the biggest case of defrauding the public EVER
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 9 2011, 08:59 PM) *

Far as im concerned, Haye v Harrison is the biggest case of defrauding the public EVER

yea gosh that was bad.....
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 9 2011, 08:14 AM) *
Lennox Lewis vs. Michael Grant is right up there.

I did not mind that fight. The true champion taking on & destroying the young lion who was supposed to do big things & be the future.
Cshel86
Im not a Pacquiao hater by a longshot, but his latest PPVs have sucked. I've watched all of his PPVs since '08 because he's an exciting fighter who brings the fight to his opponents. Problem is...his opponents have failed to do the same. The only PPVs that I truly enjoyed were his fights against Marquez, Cotto, and Margarito (enjoyed watching the beating)!
Pac vs De La Hoya (dead on his feet)
Pac vs Clottey (turtle shell fighting all night)
Pac vs Mosley (bitched up)
Pac vs Hatton (head first into the gator's mouth)

Other than those four...
Cotto vs Jennings and Pavlik vs Rubio (Top Rank fail)
RJJ vs Lacy
Mayweather vs Baldomir

Morales vs Maidana has been the best PPV as of lately, and I felt that I got my money's worth!
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 9 2011, 06:59 AM) *

Nothing compares to that farce. I told everyone I know not to buy that shit but still, some of them got sucked in and bought it anyway. Mugs.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 9 2011, 02:41 PM) *
Nothing compares to that farce. I told everyone I know not to buy that shit but still, some of them got sucked in and bought it anyway. Mugs.

Sky did what they are good at tho. They hyped up the Fraudster and made everyone believe it was a different fighter to the embarrassment we were used to. I never bought it, I watched it in a bar in Tenerife but theres no fucking way id have handed over my own cash for that shit!
mrwigi
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 8 2011, 02:51 PM) *
Hopkins vs Jones II

LMFAO.. I forgot that was on PPV.. and people actually bought it..
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Jun 9 2011, 10:29 AM) *
LMFAO.. I forgot that was on PPV.. and people actually bought it..

Heck yeah! Lol! I watched if for free at Hooters and hoped to get drunk enough to enjoy it.
gravytrain
QUOTE (alaganza @ Jun 9 2011, 12:00 AM) *
In terms of relavance this had to be the worst. (or at least one of) These guys fought once and then 88 years later they decide to fight again. And on PPV.

This was a boycott fight for me. To this day I still refuse to even watch a replay. thumbsup_anim.gif

i streamed it because i thought BHop might school him. i just got schooled in the art of passing up on PPVs even if they're free.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 9 2011, 08:09 AM) *
Im not a Pacquiao hater by a longshot, but his latest PPVs have sucked. I've watched all of his PPVs since '08 because he's an exciting fighter who brings the fight to his opponents. Problem is...his opponents have failed to do the same. The only PPVs that I truly enjoyed were his fights against Marquez, Cotto, and Margarito (enjoyed watching the beating)!
Pac vs De La Hoya (dead on his feet)
Pac vs Clottey (turtle shell fighting all night)
Pac vs Mosley (bitched up)
Pac vs Hatton (head first into the gator's mouth)

Other than those four...
Cotto vs Jennings and Pavlik vs Rubio (Top Rank fail)
RJJ vs Lacy
Mayweather vs Baldomir

Morales vs Maidana has been the best PPV as of lately, and I felt that I got my money's worth!

I liked Jones vs Lacy...Made me have flashbacks of old Roy
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Are you guys just considering the main events when considering worse PPV events? Mosley-Pacquiao had a potential FOTY candidate and a solid lightweight title fight on the undercard. That is not the worst at all.

A PPV event consists usually of four fights, and I think if two of them are solid, it's a decent event. Main events usually don't live up to expectations.

Good call on DLH-Pacquiao, that was terrible. All the undercard fights ended so quick the announcers needed to waste time by just talking, and Lampley even admitted that. I guess that one has to be as bad as Barrera-Kelley, because at least the Gainer fight went 12 rounds. The main event was just as non-competitive though.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 10 2011, 02:23 PM) *
Are you guys just considering the main events when considering worse PPV events? Mosley-Pacquiao had a potential FOTY candidate and a solid lightweight title fight on the undercard. That is not the worst at all.

A PPV event consists usually of four fights, and I think if two of them are solid, it's a decent event. Main events usually don't live up to expectations.

Good call on DLH-Pacquiao, that was terrible. All the undercard fights ended so quick the announcers needed to waste time by just talking, and Lampley even admitted that. I guess that one has to be as bad as Barrera-Kelley, because at least the Gainer fight went 12 rounds. The main event was just as non-competitive though.

Agree,

It is difficult when the fights end so quickly and they have time to kill. Who wants to pay for excessive talking when a fight is not being shown? What they should do, if that happens, is maybe run a fight of the year from year's past to maintain interest leading up to the main event, OR if any non-televised fight on the PPV was good, show that in its entirety. That would give the fans at least something memorable about the evening.

You can't have undercards going 8PM start KO 1, TKO 2, and TKO 1 with 90 minutes of yakity-yak. And this is the one area where MMA does better than boxing. MMA knows how to put together better quality undercards, so you might have six fights on a card that are shown. The downside is that MMA fights can often end much quicker than boxing matches. However, there often seems to be more time to kill in-between quick boxing PPV undercard endings.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.