Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweathers chin
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
MeDatsWho
I have been going through a bunch of boxing forums and people talking about who hurt mayweather and when but if you really think about it mayweathers got a hell of a chin. In floyds early career he used to get hit a lot and they would always compare him to roy jones but say jones never used to take the punishment mayweather takes. Mayweather can take a punch and I think ortiz might get some hard shots in early but mayweather will take them adapt and beat him down the rest of the fight.
D-MARV
Mayweather has one helluva chin. He's no Hagler, but he took a flush right hand from Mosley. The average fighter would have been flattened by that punch.
STEVENSKI
Sub 140 Mayweather has shown he has a good to very good chin. Post 140 he has shown he can be rocked by relatively light punches. His chin has not followed him up but he has the defense to reduce the amount of shots he has to take. If a serious puncher catches him flush he will be in serious trouble.
MeDatsWho
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 10 2011, 05:46 PM) *
Mayweather has one helluva chin. He's no Hagler, but he took a flush right hand from Mosley. The average fighter would have been flattened by that punch.

Actually got hit by a couple of flush right hands in that second round he took it well and actually by the end of that round started the attack
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (MeDatsWho @ Jun 11 2011, 09:43 AM) *
I have been going through a bunch of boxing forums and people talking about who hurt mayweather and when but if you really think about it mayweathers got a hell of a chin. In floyds early career he used to get hit a lot and they would always compare him to roy jones but say jones never used to take the punishment mayweather takes. Mayweather can take a punch and I think ortiz might get some hard shots in early but mayweather will take them adapt and beat him down the rest of the fight.

A lot people don't notice that but it's true any other fighter would fall from some of those shots
also if you notice is his gym Floyd does neck reps/sets with weights
he ties on some head gear and weights attached to both sides lefts them with his neck
an we know with a strong neck you can absorb big shots, especially when you can see them
MeDatsWho
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 10 2011, 05:47 PM) *
Sub 140 Mayweather has shown he has a good to very good chin. Post 140 he has shown he can be rocked by relatively light punches. His chin has not followed him up but he has the defense to reduce the amount of shots he has to take. If a serious puncher catches him flush he will be in serious trouble.

Uhh?? So shane isnt a serious puncher???
bosco
Floyd chin is good enough to withstand being knocked down by 1 punch and his defense is great enough to not let you follow up that punch to put him down
BoxingFan86
Does Floyd have a good chin? Watch his fights against Castillo, Corley, Judah, Mosley, etc... and you'll get your answer.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (bosco @ Jun 10 2011, 08:52 PM) *
Floyd chin is good enough to withstand being knocked down by 1 punch and his defense is great enough to not let you follow up that punch to put him down

Exactly! I've seen people say Mosley would've dropped Floyd if he would've pressed the attack once Floyd was in trouble. I always refer them to several of Floyd's other fights (that he caught big shots in). When Zab caught Floyd with a big shot (a shot that Floyd said was way harder than the Mosley shot), Zab pressed the attack, but what happened? Floyd kept his composure, adjusted, then took care of business. The same thing can be said 'bout his fight with Corley. Chop Chop caught him with a big shot (a shot that Floyd said was way harder than the Mosley shot), Chop pressed the attack, but again, what happened? Floyd kept his composure, adjusted, then took care of business. With that bein' said, I honestly believe if Mosley would've pressed the attack, the outcome would've been similar to the ones aforementioned. Don't even get me started on the shot he caught from Castillo. He ate that shit like a grape lol.
Box in Hand
It all boils down to conditioning and Floyd I hear trains like no one in the sport. Plus his mentality is a good one. No matter what he just stays relaxed and composed. I heard he's been in the gym with much larger opponents hitting on him so he's been well prepared. And that shot that Mosley hit him with was a full body blast that would have dropped probably anyone. Give the guy his due hate him or not.
MeDatsWho
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jun 10 2011, 06:12 PM) *
It all boils down to conditioning and Floyd I hear trains like no one in the sport. Plus his mentality is a good one. No matter what he just stays relaxed and composed. I heard he's been in the gym with much larger opponents hitting on him so he's been well prepared. And that shot that Mosley hit him with was a full body blast that would have dropped probably anyone. Give the guy his due hate him or not.

Great post I agree
leonthegee
May can recover from big shots because hes in tip top shape. He also does the right things when hes hurt. He ties up when he needs to. But most importantly he stays close to his oppenent until he recovers. He also never gets hit with combonations. Always one shot at a time.
AussieLad
Floyds chin is good enough, but its not granite. What seperates him is that he rarely gets hit flush, and he has the defence that even if he is rocked, he can avoid punnishment until he recovers. Corely hurt him bad, but he didnt apply inteligent pressure when floyd was against the ropes with his hands high. The body was there for the taking and chop chop didnt capitalize. Work the body, lower the hands, expose the chin
SmartyBeardo
Not only does FMJ have a superior chin, he has superior instincts when hurt.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MeDatsWho @ Jun 11 2011, 10:52 AM) *
Uhh?? So shane isnt a serious puncher???

Yeah that is exactly what I am saying. Ask yourself this

Who has Shane knocked out above 135 that has a reasonable chin?

Excluding guys he bounced a couple hundred shots off & even that list includes a shot to shit Vargas who is notoriously chinny & a million miles from his prime cracked chin Mayorga he has not done shit in regards to big punching. You could always be talking about immortals like Shannan Taylor or Adrian Stone I suppose.

Who has he knocked out with a single combination?

All his KO's have come via accumilation of shots post 135. Shane is no puncher not by any stretch of the imagination.

Whoever wants to use Shane's round arm punch that staggered Floyd as proof he has a great chin is fucking delusional. You can say Floyd has great defense & an ability to ensure he very rarely gets caught flush.

AussieLad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 11 2011, 04:37 AM) *
Yeah that is exactly what I am saying. Ask yourself this

Who has Shane knocked out above 135 that has a reasonable chin?

Excluding guys he bounced a couple hundred shots off & even that list includes a shot to shit Vargas who is notoriously chinny & a million miles from his prime cracked chin Mayorga he has not done shit in regards to big punching. You could always be talking about immortals like Shannan Taylor or Adrian Stone I suppose.

Who has he knocked out with a single combination?

All his KO's have come via accumilation of shots post 135. Shane is no puncher not by any stretch of the imagination.

Whoever wants to use Shane's round arm punch that staggered Floyd as proof he has a great chin is fucking delusional. You can say Floyd has great defense & an ability to ensure he very rarely gets caught flush.

Agreed. Shane isnt the power puncher he once was, not at this weight. He can still generate some force when he can afford to really sit down on his punches, eg his fight against the slower margarito. When he clipped floyd, i dont think that was his hardest punch by any stretch. It was just a decent shot that landed flush, floyd went down but recovered well.
STEVENSKI
Some on here seem of the opinion that Floydie could walk through a flush Hearns right hand & just shoudler roll it off.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 10 2011, 10:48 PM) *
Some on here seem of the opinion that Floydie could walk through a flush Hearns right hand & just shoudler roll it off.

Probably more like a cross between SRL and Benitez.
BoxingStill#1
Floyed chin is in question...

Bu his defence is unmatched...

There in lies the deference on how he can survive a hard shot
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 10 2011, 11:28 PM) *

Of course part of having a superior chin is how you take a shot.

All chins are in question.

The Flinch managed to come through the Pac fight relatively unscathed, while mounting nearly 0 offense. FMJ will make Pac miss while making him pay like the matador does the bull.
AussieLad
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 11 2011, 06:39 AM) *

The Flinch managed to come through the Pac fight relatively unscathed, while mounting nearly 0 offense. FMJ will make Pac miss while making him pay like the matador does the bull.

Pac throws in bunches, with speedy combinations. Mayweather is defensively oriented. Pac won't tire. This will be a case of floyd not throwing enough and losing on points. Oscar took floyd to a split decision despite mostly being a one handed fighter that threw more punches, even if they didnt land most of the time. I can see Manny taking that a step further. Pac can hurt Floyd, and is fast enough to land. Shane only emerged unscathed because he refused to throw, because he was a in a defensive shell. If he chose to engage, it would have been a beatdown. That is not a symptom of pac failing to finish, just a symptom of mosely trying to survive after getting shut down. Shane was engaging more in the floyd fight, yet despite the opprotunities this presented, floyd failed to put him away or even rattle him significantly. Personally, shane faired better against floyd than he did vs pac. Pac was never in doubt, whereas floyd got dropped
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jun 11 2011, 03:12 AM) *
Pac throws in bunches, with speedy combinations. Mayweather is defensively oriented. Pac won't tire. This will be a case of floyd not throwing enough and losing on points. Oscar took floyd to a split decision despite mostly being a one handed fighter that threw more punches, even if they didnt land most of the time. I can see Manny taking that a step further. Pac can hurt Floyd, and is fast enough to land. Shane only emerged unscathed because he refused to throw, because he was a in a defensive shell. If he chose to engage, it would have been a beatdown. That is not a symptom of pac failing to finish, just a symptom of mosely trying to survive after getting shut down. Shane was engaging more in the floyd fight, yet despite the opprotunities this presented, floyd failed to put him away or even rattle him significantly. Personally, shane faired better against floyd than he did vs pac. Pac was never in doubt, whereas floyd got dropped

He did? I must've left the room right before that happened.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 11 2011, 04:28 PM) *

Exactly. I don't think anyone with 1/2 a brain would question Floydies defense. His chin is far from cast iron as shown a few times when he has been tagged above 135.
AussieLad
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 11 2011, 07:45 AM) *
He did? I must've left the room right before that happened.

His legs went out from under him at one point. Geez cut us some slack, its a long weekend in my neck of the woods and i've been whipping back whiskey all day...

I'm gonna have a lie down now i think.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jun 11 2011, 04:23 AM) *
His legs went out from under him at one point. Geez cut us some slack, its a long weekend in my neck of the woods and i've been whipping back whiskey all day...

I'm gonna have a lie down now i think.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He got rocked, not dropped. Those are 2 different things.
Dukes202
I'm going to put it like this.Has Floyd ever been put on the canvas?Answer no.Enough said.....like other folks on here said already I've watched floyd take some good hits man and he adapts and overcomes everytime
Big Slim Sweet
Floyd definitely doesn't have a glass jaw, but I wouldn't say his chin has been proven granite or anything. His defense is just so good, he's never really needed more.

We've seen him rocked by Mosley and Corley. Floyd has shown that he CAN be hurt. But like others have said in this thread, he's never been caught with a serious combination and his instincts when buzzed are top notch. He's also as relaxed as a fighter can be in the ring.

If Pac caught Floyd with the same left he knocked out Hatton with, I bet Floyd would go to sleep too. But it doesn't matter because Pac would never catch Floyd with that shot.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 11 2011, 06:14 PM) *
Floyd definitely doesn't have a glass jaw, but I wouldn't say his chin has been proven granite or anything. His defense is just so good, he's never really needed more.

We've seen him rocked by Mosley and Corley. Floyd has shown that he CAN be hurt. But like others have said in this thread, he's never been caught with a serious combination and his instincts when buzzed are top notch. He's also as relaxed as a fighter can be in the ring.

If Pac caught Floyd with the same left he knocked out Hatton with, I bet Floyd would go to sleep too. But it doesn't matter because Pac would never catch Floyd with that shot.

Miguel Melo also wobbled him at 130, and Judah dropped him (no count) at 147.

And to say Mayweather has a great chin because he was only a 'bit' wobbled by Sugar Fist Shane, who failed to even remotely wobble De La Hoya, Forrest or Winky Wright in 24 rounds each, as opposed to two rounds with Mayweather is reaching.

Floyd has an average chin. What he does have is incredible defence and natural survival instinct when caught.

Like RJ Jr, we will probably see Floyd violently KO'd if he fights into his 40's when his reflexes are diminished. I think he'll be smart enought to get out in the next couple years before his speed goes, though.

Black
neophyte7
Average my ass... the guy in more than 40 fights has been visibly hurt three times? and each of those times he came right back to punish the deliverer of the shots... please...
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 11 2011, 10:39 PM) *
Average my ass... the guy in more than 40 fights has been visibly hurt three times? and each of those times he came right back to punish the deliverer of the shots... please...

No one in this thread is dumping on Floyd, honestly man people are giving him props for his defense which is second to none, and you still are desperate to force the issue that he has the greatest chin ever too? I swear Pactards get a bad reputation cos a lot of them are obsessed and often incoherent due to English not being their first language whatever, but it is equally hard, if not harder, to get any sense out of Floyd's superfans.
caneman
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 11 2011, 04:45 PM) *
No one in this thread is dumping on Floyd, honestly man people are giving him props for his defense which is second to none, and you still are desperate to force the issue that he has the greatest chin ever too? I swear Pactards get a bad reputation cos a lot of them are obsessed and often incoherent due to English not being their first language whatever, but it is equally hard, if not harder, to get any sense out of Floyd's superfans.

thumbsup_anim.gif thumbsup_anim.gif
neophyte7
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 11 2011, 02:39 AM) *

great post beardo... that being said PAC's chin is in question... he has not faced anyone yet (since his weird rise) who was able to test it.. an accurate puncher who can counter his darting in and out will test it...
caneman
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 11 2011, 04:48 PM) *
great post beardo... that being said PAC's chin is in question... he has not faced anyone yet (since his weird rise) who was able to test it.. an accurate puncher who can counter his darting in and out will test it...

Floyd likes your chin too bro! lmao
neophyte7
so much oral sex inuendo... I am sure most of the initiators of this type of conversation take cocks in their mouths quite regularly
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Dukes202 @ Jun 11 2011, 07:23 AM) *
I'm going to put it like this.Has Floyd ever been put on the canvas?Answer no.Enough said.....like other folks on here said already I've watched floyd take some good hits man and he adapts and overcomes everytime

Technically, he has been on the canvas. His glove touched the canvas when he got countered in the Judah fight, but it wasn't ruled a knock-down, although it should've been. In the 2nd round, Zab caught him with a clean counter, Floyd lost his balance, then his glove grazed the canvas. That was the result of a great punch, not a slip (it was ruled a slip, though). So yeah, he's definitely been on the canvas before (his glove has lol).

QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 11 2011, 01:36 PM) *
Miguel Melo also wobbled him at 130, and Judah dropped him (no count) at 147.

And to say Mayweather has a great chin because he was only a 'bit' wobbled by Sugar Fist Shane, who failed to even remotely wobble De La Hoya, Forrest or Winky Wright in 24 rounds each, as opposed to two rounds with Mayweather is reaching.

Floyd has an average chin. What he does have is incredible defence and natural survival instinct when caught.

Like RJ Jr, we will probably see Floyd violently KO'd if he fights into his 40's when his reflexes are diminished. I think he'll be smart enought to get out in the next couple years before his speed goes, though.

Black

Yeah, this is a better description of Floyd. Well said. I renege my original comment regardin' his chin.
neophyte7
Wrong... RJJ had only and relied only on reflexes.. Mayweather has the technical skill of defense along with great reflexes like HOPKINS WHICH is why Hop is still great.. reflexes and technical know how

pbf will not fight into his 40s however
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
Haha some of you guys that say Floyds chin isn't good enough need to watch this.http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=4-Vi2oqGywc
TheFonz
Good, I wouldn't call it Granite.
caneman
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Jun 11 2011, 07:48 PM) *
Good, I wouldn't call it Granite.

good call, sturdy even but defense galore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ring smarts GALORE!
D-MARV
Again,
Nobody here is calling Floyd iron chinned.

He has a good damn chin though. He's taken flush shots from just about every fighter he's fought and has only been hurt twice in his whole fucking career.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 11 2011, 09:21 PM) *
Again,
Nobody here is calling Floyd iron chinned.

He has a good damn chin though. He's taken flush shots from just about every fighter he's fought and has only been hurt twice in his whole fucking career.

3x, unless you exclude Zab.
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 12 2011, 10:59 AM) *
3x, unless you exclude Zab.

wasn't hurt by zab more off balanced then anything

caneman
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jun 11 2011, 09:03 PM) *
wasn't hurt by zab more off balanced then anything

Other punches in that fight early on hurt more than the knockdown but it doesn't matter, sturdy chin with great defense is enough when it was 2-3 times in 41 fights! lolz
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 12 2011, 11:22 AM) *
Other punches in that fight early on hurt more than the knockdown but it doesn't matter, sturdy chin with great defense is enough when it was 2-3 times in 41 fights! lolz

true.
Caneman what boxer do you follow?
Martinez or .....
caneman
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jun 11 2011, 09:43 PM) *
true.
Caneman what boxer do you follow?
Martinez or .....

Many different fighters man...I really like Gamboa right now though but I like Maravilla a lot! I have always followed Hopkins, being from the Philly area! I think this Shobox card might end up being very good!
caneman
edit...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Like most others Floyd's chin I'd say was pretty good. Not great but pretty good. His instincts when hurt and defensive technique are even better. As Floyd himself has said many times the primary idea of boxing is to hit and not get hit.

This is where Shane Mosley may have got a little confused in his last fight, he only remembered the 'not get hit' part, haha.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 11 2011, 01:39 AM) *

yes sir!!! easy nights work for floyd right there.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 11 2011, 10:39 PM) *

Well that just shows how good his defence is. His defence is so good he has been able to negotiate 40-odd fights vs world class foes without taking many hard shots.

Roy Jones went god knows how many fights before he was hurt or wobbled (apart from one flash knockdown against Del Valle). Would you say Roy had a great chin...or great defence?

Black
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 12 2011, 03:31 AM) *
Well that just shows how good his defence is. His defence is so good he has been able to negotiate 40-odd fights vs world class foes without taking many hard shots.

Roy Jones went god knows how many fights before he was hurt or wobbled (apart from one flash knockdown against Del Valle). Would you say Roy had a great chin...or great defence?

Black

Can I say neither and choose great reflexes? laugh.gif

I know what you mean though Black, one shouldn't confuse great defence with great chin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.