Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamboa gets stripped by WBA over IBF regulation..
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
caneman
I thought Gamboa lost the IBF belt the day on the weigh in cause he didn't show up not a re weigh or some ish! I don't remember any ABC body backing the others rules or regulation EVER! Is this good or bad in your opinion?

The WBA wil no longer recognize unbeaten featherweight Yuriorkis Gamboa as the unified 126lb champion. The WBA world championship Committee, decided to vacate the championship because Gamboa did not comply with regulations in defending his IBF belt against Jorge Solis, which resulted in that title being vacated. Gamboa was at number two in the May rankings of the WBA, behind Celestino Caballero.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 11 2011, 11:54 AM) *
I thought Gamboa lost the IBF belt the day on the weigh in cause he didn't show up not a re weigh or some ish! I don't remember any ABC body backing the others rules or regulation EVER! Is this good or bad in your opinion?

The WBA wil no longer recognize unbeaten featherweight Yuriorkis Gamboa as the unified 126lb champion. The WBA world championship Committee, decided to vacate the championship because Gamboa did not comply with regulations in defending his IBF belt against Jorge Solis, which resulted in that title being vacated. Gamboa was at number two in the May rankings of the WBA, behind Celestino Caballero.

I have never heard of any boxing federation doing a stripping for not following another boxing federations rules. Unless the WBA has added the mandatory second weigh-in that the IBF requires. Gamboa FYI did not comply with the mandatory second weigh-in requirement of the IBF, which lead to the IBF stripping in the first place.

I never found out why Gamboa did not participate in the second weigh-in.

Jack
blackbelt2003
This is where the WBA shoot themselves in the foot with their 'super champ' and 'regular champ'.

Gamboa was elevated to 'super' champ on the basis that he was WBA/IBF champ (although he wasn't really WBA champ because Chris John holds the real title but that's another story). The WBA always do this when two titles are unified, although in reality only the top end champ is a real one.

But when the other body strips them, they then can't be classes as 'super champs', so they go from being a unified champ to nothing in one fell swoop. Stupid, really.

I don't know why the WBA can't have a 'world champ' and a bloody no.1 contender like everyone else.

Black
caneman
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 11 2011, 03:38 PM) *
This is where the WBA shoot themselves in the foot with their 'super champ' and 'regular champ'.

Gamboa was elevated to 'super' champ on the basis that he was WBA/IBF champ (although he wasn't really WBA champ because Chris John holds the real title but that's another story). The WBA always do this when two titles are unified, although in reality only the top end champ is a real one.

But when the other body strips them, they then can't be classes as 'super champs', so they go from being a unified champ to nothing in one fell swoop. Stupid, really.

I don't know why the WBA can't have a 'world champ' and a bloody no.1 contender like everyone else.

Black

MORE sanctioning fees? Or to straight screw over a fighter? lol
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 11 2011, 04:38 PM) *

Black

I agree.
caneman
I think it sucks...after beating Orlando Salido rather easily, who stopped Jaunma and destroyed Jorge Solis! Yet gets striped? Pitiful but he'll get another belt somewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.