Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardest Puncher of All Time?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
mgrover
A lot of people say its Earnie Shavers. what do you think? if your going with someone because your a fanboy at least provide some evidence.
neophyte7
Tommy Hearns
thehype
Neither. Apparently it's Manny Pacquiao.

laugh.gif
mgrover
lol apparently but I doubt it...
bosco
I say Julian the Hawk Jackson...his punching power was crazy ..heres a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDha33AGA8...;feature=fvwrel
caneman
QUOTE (bosco @ Jun 11 2011, 02:35 PM) *
I say Julian the Hawk Jackson...his punching power was crazy ..heres a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDha33AGA8...;feature=fvwrel

This could very well be the hardest puncher but with all the weights, it's impossible to truly say really. VERY GOOD choice though!
HaydelHammer
Gerald McClellan
blackbelt2003
Wilfredo Gomez anyone?

Black
BigG
Arguello
Oatmeal
This a hard one...we got Ernie shavers, Tyson. I like Tyson because in his days he had 1 punch KO power in both hands and Shavers...what can I say, he was a beast
neophyte7
As long as Tyson was hitting bums with less heart than himself he had great power... when time came to hit a man with heart and skills like Holyfield... his power was nothing
lloyd mayflower
Not that i'm any authority on his fights cos iv seen only limited footage, but surprised no mention of Joe Louis. Any videos iv seen of him he hits like a fucking mule. Every punch.
neophyte7
I AGREE... MR. barrow was a hard hard puncher and deserves to be mentioned in this thread. At 190 -195 he could probably KO any of the pathetic heavies today even the ones pushing 250 plus pounds!!!
EAlbian
The G-Man or the Hitman, one and doned 'em like nobody else.

Marciano and Louis both could punch

Abraham @ 160 could hit, Trinidad could crack

There are so many but one punch power i gotta go with either Mcclellan or Hearns
Maxy
Ali and Holmes both said Shavers.

That's good enough for me.
Box in Hand
I might get chewed up for this but I'm going with George Foreman and or Julian Jackson.
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 11 2011, 02:47 PM) *
Ali and Holmes both said Shavers.

That's good enough for me.

It's easily Mike Tyson, 37-0 with 33 KOs at one point 19-0 with 19 KOs. Talk about power.
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 11 2011, 05:20 PM) *
Not that i'm any authority on his fights cos iv seen only limited footage, but surprised no mention of Joe Louis. Any videos iv seen of him he hits like a fucking mule. Every punch.

i don't know if i would say he's the hardest hitting but he's some of the nicest knockouts. personally i think Shavers takes the title.
TheFonz
Archie Moore?
STEVENSKI
I will take it back a bit. Guys like Jimmy Wilde hit like wrecking balls P4P. A 190lb Dempsey may be the hardest puncher all time.

It is so subjective. Lennox Lewis had massive one punch power in that right hand of his as well.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 12 2011, 02:38 AM) *
I will take it back a bit. Guys like Jimmy Wilde hit like wrecking balls P4P. A 190lb Dempsey may be the hardest puncher all time.

It is so subjective. Lennox Lewis had massive one punch power in that right hand of his as well.

Yeah, man, that Lennox right hand was one of the single, most destructive forces in boxing. If Lewis had tee'd off with it a bit more he would have KO'd just about anyone he fought.

Black
lloyd mayflower
I know his comp wasnt the greatest, but Edwin Valero must have hit pretty hard
Spyder
I always thought that Shavers hit the hardest, based off of the testimony of his opponents...but Boxrec has a cool little KO% vs rounds boxed in its record keeping.

Earnie Shavers - won 75 (KO 69) + lost 14 (KO 7) + drawn 1 = 90
rounds boxed 372 KO% 76.67

George Foreman - won 76 (KO 68) + lost 5 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 81
rounds boxed 350 KO% 83.95

Gerald McClellan - won 31 (KO 29) + lost 3 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 34
rounds boxed 84 KO% 85.29

Big George is in the lead for the Heavies, and the G-Man has it P4p
bosco
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 12 2011, 10:20 AM) *
I always thought that Shavers hit the hardest, based off of the testimony of his opponents...but Boxrec has a cool little KO% vs rounds boxed in its record keeping.

Earnie Shavers - won 75 (KO 69) + lost 14 (KO 7) + drawn 1 = 90
rounds boxed 372 KO% 76.67

George Foreman - won 76 (KO 68) + lost 5 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 81
rounds boxed 350 KO% 83.95

Gerald McClellan - won 31 (KO 29) + lost 3 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 34
rounds boxed 84 KO% 85.29

Big George is in the lead for the Heavies, and the G-Man has it P4p

Sorry man but going by ko percentage Vitali Klitschko wins with over 88%
Spyder
QUOTE (bosco @ Jun 12 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Sorry man but going by ko percentage Vitali Klitschko wins with over 88%

The numbers don't lie...

Vitali Klitchko it the Hardest Puncher in the history of boxing!

Walstan86
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 11 2011, 03:20 PM) *
Wilfredo Gomez anyone?

That's my vote decidedly.
Run and Gun Game Calls
George forman and mike tyson are neck and neck

People who dis tyson just remember the fighter that he became after drugs and insanity took over his life, and not the fighter he was

Maxy
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jun 12 2011, 01:22 PM) *
George forman and mike tyson are neck and neck

People who dis tyson just remember the fighter that he became after drugs and insanity took over his life, and not the fighter he was

I 100% disagree with that statement. Tyson, obviously hit bloody hard but his one punch power wasn't quite as good as the likes of Foreman and Shavers. Prime Tyson....18 punches to flatten Pinklon Thomas....a fantastic finish but one which bigger punchers wouldn't have needed so many to do the job. You may well come back with a string of one punch KO's accredited to Mike but I'll never put him up there with the ultimate elite bangers of the game. As a finisher though, yeah, no doubt.....amongst the very best.
mgrover
percentages mean nothing, since most KO's could be by TKO or accumulated punches, I mean those solid punches that you knew could floor someone, and not a luckey shot like martinez v williams II (am not taking anything away from the man) I mean when Tyson went into the ring in his prime, people knew it would end in a KO.

Marvin Hagler anyone? lol
caneman
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 12 2011, 03:13 PM) *
percentages mean nothing, since most KO's could be by TKO or accumulated punches, I mean those solid punches that you knew could floor someone, and not a luckey shot like martinez v williams II (am not taking anything away from the man) I mean when Tyson went into the ring in his prime, people knew it would end in a KO.

Marvin Hagler anyone? lol

I like most of what you said but on martinez, lucky punch? He hit him with it all night the 1st fight too! 50 times min bro! Go watch it! but I say Shavers too but Jack Johnson too...he was a bad man! And Foreman too. It's a hard call really, maybe even harder than P4P all time!!!!
neophyte7
TYSON IS NO WHERE NEAR HITTING AS HARD A GEORGE FOREMAN...The 45 year old Foreman who had his record as the oldest champion in the sport's history broken by Hopkins... could be the hardest puncher all time... the one shot he delivered in LAYING DOWN MOORER kind of says alot... ONE SHOT POWER-- out of there--- tommy hearns had one shot destructive power

GEORGE FOREMAN THE HARDEST PUNCHER ALL TIME... who can get over how he KABOOMED JOE FRAZIER TO THE CANVAS.. LMAO
lloyd mayflower
Cant believe I didnt get the answer sooner, its Tyson Fury, the hardest puncher, AND the best chin in the business

mgrover
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 12 2011, 09:19 PM) *
I like most of what you said but on martinez, lucky punch? He hit him with it all night the 1st fight too! 50 times min bro! Go watch it! but I say Shavers too but Jack Johnson too...he was a bad man! And Foreman too. It's a hard call really, maybe even harder than P4P all time!!!!

it just seemed a bit unexpected with the punch, and I guess I don't want to make it bigger than it already is because of that KO people rate him among the best of the P4P which he isn't yet. I will always admit though martinez does punch hard, just not in the same league as other big punchers yet
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 12 2011, 04:46 PM) *
TYSON IS NO WHERE NEAR HITTING AS HARD A GEORGE FOREMAN...The 45 year old Foreman who had his record as the oldest champion in the sport's history broken by Hopkins... could be the hardest puncher all time... the one shot he delivered in LAYING DOWN MOORER kind of says alot... ONE SHOT POWER-- out of there--- tommy hearns had one shot destructive power

GEORGE FOREMAN THE HARDEST PUNCHER ALL TIME... who can get over how he KABOOMED JOE FRAZIER TO THE CANVAS.. LMAO

Tyson wanted no part of the old Foreman that they wanted to put him in the ring with. i think the young Foreman would have whooped his ass with ease with both in their prime. i think overall Foreman and Shavers are definitely at the top of the sport as far as punching is concerned. maybe not P4P but hardest hitting period.

HaydelHammer
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 12 2011, 04:46 PM) *

That frazier mugging was brutal
Big Slim Sweet
For nothing but pure one punch KO power I'll put DAVID TUA up against anybody.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 12 2011, 02:46 PM) *

I thought I was the only one. George is in my mind the hardest puncher I have ever seen. Hell he made Joe Fraizer bounce off the ring like a basketball.
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 12 2011, 01:46 PM) *

Are you high? FOREMAN was wayy past his prime when he fought MOORER, and if you even watched that fight you would see how slow they were righting.
STEVENSKI
I think there is way too much emphasis on modern fighters here.

A guy like Stanley Ketchel who won 51 fights with 48 KO's in the era when they let a man fight until he was hamburger is incredible. Easily Grand Rapids greatest fighter who was shot down in his absolute prime.

How many other middleweights would have ignored the colour bar & fought Jack Johnson at heavyweight? He also fought the great Sam Langford in a close 6 round contest.

Billy Papke, known as the “Illinois Thunderbolt”, scored a stunning upset of Ketchel by surprising him through use of an ill famed tactic. The Sept. 8, 1908 San Francisco Chronicle reported, “When James J. Jeffries, the referee, called time and Ketchel walked to the center extending his hand for the shake, Papke ignored his hand and sailed into the Michigan killer with the fiery tempetuosity which entitled him to be called thunderbolt.” Papke's cheap shot would inspire the referee’s instructions: “Shake hands and come out fighting.”

The fight was practically settled with the first punch, a strong left that caught Ketchel unprepared and drove him to the ropes. He was lifted off his feet four times in the first round and knocked down by a right and a left by Papke. He never fully recovered. Ketchel’s right eye was closed at the beginning of the second round. Ketchel fought on with gritty determination but took a terrible beating over the remainder of the fight and was finally stopped in the 12th round.

Ketchel was infuriated by the manner in which he had lost. He was also unhappy that Papke was a 10-7 betting favorite in their championship rematch just two and a half months later. W. O. McGeehan wrote that, “Hatred inspires every blow in fight. Papke’s stubborn courage is of no avail before the power of the Assassin.” In the very first round a right hand to the heart staggered Papke and he was soon in trouble against the ropes. Ketchel never let up. He told his rival, “It took you 12 rounds to stop a blind man. I’m gonna let your eyes stay open until the 11th so you can see me knock you out.”

A crunching left sent Papke crashing to the mat in the fateful 11th. It was a punch that “shook his entire frame and sent his head crashing against the wooden platform”, wrote McGeehan. “Pain racked and with his heart beaten out of him by body punches in the first few rounds…it was all over in that punch.” Papke barely beat the count of “ten” but was sent back for the full count by a barrage of punches by Ketchel who avenged the only real defeat of his career at middleweight. It was the only time Papke was ever knocked out.

I think the older fighters tend to get forgotten but Ketchel was described as terrifying by his peers with his agressive style & raw power.

One to consider with a 95% KO rate for sure.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 12 2011, 10:17 PM) *
I think there is way too much emphasis on modern fighters here.

A guy like Stanley Ketchel who won 51 fights with 48 KO's in the era when they let a man fight until he was hamburger is incredible. Easily Grand Rapids greatest fighter who was shot down in his absolute prime.

How many other middleweights would have ignored the colour bar & fought Jack Johnson at heavyweight? He also fought the great Sam Langford in a close 6 round contest.

I think the older fighters tend to get forgotten but Ketchel was described as terrifying by his peers with his agressive style & raw power.

One to consider with a 95% KO rate for sure.

Just watched up on Ketchel. I have seen the Johnson clip many time but never knew who he was. He was only 24 but man it looked like he had some dynamite in his paws. Thanks for bringing him to my attention. That's why I like this forum so many knowledgeable folks.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jun 13 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Just watched up on Ketchel. I have seen the Johnson clip many time but never knew who he was. He was only 24 but man it looked like he had some dynamite in his paws. Thanks for bringing him to my attention. That's why I like this forum so many knowledgeable folks.

It is one of the reasons I have such disdain for Mayweather & Pac. Back then fighters fought for the knowledge they could beat any man in front of them & show the world so. From that they made the big money (not PPV big but for the time huge $$).

It is unfortuane that the only fight on film other than the Johnson one is his fourth fight with Papke where neither guy seemed to do too much. Ketchel did claim he broke his hand in round 2 of the 20 round affair though.

I believe you have to know your history to have a objective view on boxing. Fighters may be better conditioned now (doubtful IMO) stronger (questionable) more skilled in the art of boxing (no doubt). I just think that there are far fewer fighters these days & if I gotta take a the choice between a hungry fighter & a well fed master boxer I will take the fighter 9 out of 10 times.

The art of cutting weight would suit the old timers as well because they could easily drop a division or two these days with day before weigh ins & the hydration technology available.
JLUVBABY
i havent read all the post but michael moorer at light heavyweight was hitting damn hard.. if im not mistaken he won all his fights at light heavy by ko or tko and only moved up cuzz he couldnt secure a title shot.. nobody wanted to fight him at the time.. but he was one lean mean fighting machine back in his light heavy days....
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 12 2011, 04:30 AM) *
Neither. Apparently it's Manny Pacquiao.

laugh.gif

lol priceless

I go with Tyson....hit knocked a dudes teeth out with gloves I mean come WTF is that?
or George Foreman
Spyder
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 12 2011, 11:17 PM) *
For nothing but pure one punch KO power I'll put DAVID TUA up against anybody.

I would too if Ike wouldn't have been able to take them all.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 11 2011, 05:19 PM) *
As long as Tyson was hitting bums with less heart than himself he had great power... when time came to hit a man with heart and skills like Holyfield... his power was nothing

LOL!! When Mike was in his earliest prime he fought tomato cans, fighters who feared him, monsters, hard hitters, pure boxers and men who didn't fear him the problem was when he beat them all the REALLY GOOD FIGHTERS ducked him until he got out of prison and they noticed his performance level was slipping. Tyson's only problem was stamina he had the complete package. He had the best head movement in heavyweight history and his power lungers were quick enough to reach guys at 6 ft and over. He arguably had the strongest 2 handed power in boxing history. So again, those very men your speaking on including Holyfield all ducked that man at his earliest primes. Tyson had to go fight 20 something tomato cans because like I said the really good ones feared him in his prime hence why people wished Holyfield and Lewis would have fought Iron Mike in his prime. He would have KO'd both. Don't doubt this man when he had Cus d'amato in his corner. He would have probably retired undefeated with a KO percentage in the high 90's!!!! Understand Tyson had one of the hardest and toughest training regimens only he could and very people can do. Check his earliest training methods. PURE SAVAGENESS. Please Lewis is a opportunist and Holyfield is delusional both know they ducked him when he was coming up. BUMP
BoxingWizard23
Either Tyson or Foreman. But Ike and Tua is honourable mentions. And I'll add Pacman in there since he has the power of a middle weight as a natural lightweight.
JONdaCON817
You guys are all fools....

its obviously Paulie Malignaggi... laugh.gif
gravytrain
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 13 2011, 03:30 PM) *
You guys are all fools....

its obviously Paulie Malignaggi... laugh.gif

the only thing he hits hard is the tanning joint.

and the barbershop to get a blowout
bosco
It's gotta be Chris Byrd...he tko'd Vitali Klitschko with a shoulder punch...lol
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 13 2011, 02:49 PM) *
the only thing he hits hard is the tanning joint.

and the barbershop to get a blowout

lol..

G.T.L babyy.... G.T.L.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.