Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juan 'Baby Bull' Diaz retires
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=6637487

Juan Diaz's return to boxing did not last long.

Two weeks after signing a contract to fight David Torres and announcing that he would end a one-year layoff, the former unified lightweight titlist withdrew from the fight Tuesday, telling promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing that he was instead going to attend law school.

Diaz, 27, of Houston, had signed to fight Torres in a scheduled 10-round lightweight bout at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas on July 29. The fight was scheduled to headline ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights."

Diaz, a graduate of the University of Houston Downtown, had recently been accepted to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Law School. He has talked for years about someday going to law school, but the lure of the ring seemed like it was too much.

"I have the acceptance letter from law school and I look at it every day and question myself every day if I am making the right decision," Diaz told ESPN.com two weeks ago when he announced his comeback fight. "I put it to the side and say law school can wait. What I really want is to become champion again, so I've been emailing back and forth with the university to see if I can work something out where they will let me defer for a year because I don't think I want to go yet."

Diaz (35-4, 17 KOs) did not get the deferral and had a change of heart.

Willie Savannah, Diaz's manager, faxed a hand-written letter to Margules telling him of Diaz's decision.

"He had trained 4-5 days per week for months in anticipation of once again becoming a world champion," Savannah wrote. "He made this decision last Friday and I support it 100 percent. I hope that Warriors and ESPN will understand.

"Diaz does not have a history of pulling out of fights like a lot of boxers do. I apologize for the inconvenience this will cause all parties."

Diaz was going to attempt to return two days shy of the one-year anniversary of his last fight, a clear decision loss to lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez in a rematch. Diaz, who was knocked out by Marquez in the consensus 2009 fight of the year, was 2-4 in his last six fights and his career was clearly on the ropes.

But Diaz had told ESPN.com two weeks ago that he was refreshed and ready to make another title run.

"It's been awhile and I am very excited and very pumped about being back in the ring," Diaz said. "Last time I fought was July 31 last year, so it's going to be a year. So I'm looking forward to fighting again and showing people what I still have."

Diaz was only 20 when he claimed his first world title in 2004. He made seven defenses, including unifying three major belts with wins against titleholders Acelino "Popo" Freitas and Julio Diaz, before losing them in an upset decision to Nate Campbell in March 2008.

Margules told ESPN.com that he hopes to replace Diaz-Torres with a light heavyweight match between Colombian slugger Edison Miranda (34-5, 29 KOs), a former middleweight and super middleweight title challenger, and Yordanis Despaigne (8-1, 4 KOs), a former Cuban amateur star.

Margules said both fighters have agreed to the fight and he was awaiting the go-ahead from ESPN to finalize the contract.

Last Saturday, Miranda ended a 14-month layoff following a third-round knockout loss to super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute. Miranda easily outpointed Rayco Saunders in an eight-rounder on the Carl Froch-Glen Johnson undercard in Atlantic City, N.J.

Despaigne is coming off a 10-round decision loss to fellow former amateur star Ismayl Sillakh on ESPN2 in March. Although Despaigne has just nine pro fights, he had a deep amateur career for the powerhouse Cuban national team, including beating future light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal during the 2004 Olympics.

The opening televised fights remains intact: former lightweight champion Joel Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KOs) against Jorge Teron (25-2-1, 17 KOs).

Too bad, I didn't mind Diaz and wasn't a bad fighter. Just lacked the power. Can't knock him on that decision, I hope it works out for him.
BoxingFan86
His fight with Marquez was entertainin'. It's a shame to see him leave the sport, but I wish him well with his future endeavors.
dhoward126
Juan was always a favorite of mine and I have even more respect for him now because, unlike so many fighters out there, he made it a priority to get an education to get him a stable job that will make him good money and allow him to keep his health as he's older. Good for you man, live well and thanks for the memories in the ring.
Snoop
Diaz was/is an inspiration to me. I didn't think I could box seriously while going to college yet this kid was doing it AND he was world champ! I didn't think it was realistic for him to go to law school and box professionally at the same time, and it seems he feels the same way. I hope law school works out for him. Mad respect if he sees it through.
JONdaCON817
Congrats to him.... Law school is intense. How cool would it be to whoop somebodys ass and be able to justify yourself in court....lol
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jun 14 2011, 03:14 AM) *
Diaz was/is an inspiration to me. I didn't think I could box seriously while going to college yet this kid was doing it AND he was world champ! I didn't think it was realistic for him to go to law school and box professionally at the same time, and it seems he feels the same way. I hope law school works out for him. Mad respect if he sees it through.

Agreed. That 'boxing banker' thing didn't work out too well for Calvin Brock did it. laugh.gif
Juancito
I hate to see him leave but I definitely understand. Congrats on that Juan!
alaganza
Happy for Juan. He seems to have a lot to offer outside of the ring.
HazConvictedFelonMane
I enjoyed watching his fights. He was whooping JMM out until he got tagged. I wish him the best and I hope everything works out for the young champ. I rather him retire than to watch him get brutalized. I support his decision and he seems to have good intentions. From what I hear, he wants to do pro bono work for the under privilaged. I totally respect him for that.
Box in Hand
I think he was taking too much damage in the ring. He got exposed by Campbell and Marquez and lost to feather-fisted Malinaggi so it's good for him to go. I do suspect he will be back after his family and friends run through all of his money.
salvador
A real class act. A great boxing story and a great immigrant story. More than that, nobody could ever accuse him of playing it safe in the ring.
Method
I hope it all works out for him. May not get a second chance at seven-figures-in-one-shot paydays that he would see in the sport.

That said, its both balsy and admirable for this cat to do that.

Hopefully, he makes it back to the sport, maybe in a legal capacity or whatever...or maybe down the line that book-worm saves the sport and organizes a universal governing body, etc.

"Fly little butterfly...fly...fly...fly....fly"

BGv2.0
Being from H-Town myself (or really near it!)....I've been to a number of his fights and was at the fight of the year in 2009. So needless to say he was always a favorite of mine.

And although I think he may have still had a few good fights to offer....honestly, he simply took too much punishment in such a short career and it was starting to accumulate....getting out now was a GREAT move on his part not only for his health but for his long term future. Once he graduates law school he will have a job that will provide him for years to come...

AND...actually with his boxing career nobody would know better than he does about all of the shady aspects of the sport....once he gets his law degree he could very well come in and use that to help boxers that have been screwed or he could counsel boxers on contracts and whatnot...with a law degree he could without a doubt remain close to the sport.

AND...to the person that said aomething about his money drying up due to friends and family....you are misinformed about this young man's life....he is not and never has been your typical boxer. He has no large group of hanger-ons, his parents make sure he manages his money correctly. I can assure you the money he has made in boxing will be well managed as will any monies he makes from the legal field.

NOW...he may make a comeback one day after he finished his law degree, just to take some time off, finish what he started with the legal degree....THEN just attempt a comeback just for the hell of it....and at that point I might see that as a good thing. He will have already provided himself a career type job path, would still be relativley young, will have taken some much need time off to heal from all those wars in the ring....why not at that point? If it worked out GREAT...more money...if not...no big deal you've got a law degree! lol

The guy really will have done something you just don't see in this sport....made good life decesions.
Snoop
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jun 16 2011, 04:53 PM) *
Being from H-Town myself (or really near it!)....I've been to a number of his fights and was at the fight of the year in 2009. So needless to say he was always a favorite of mine.

And although I think he may have still had a few good fights to offer....honestly, he simply took too much punishment in such a short career and it was starting to accumulate....getting out now was a GREAT move on his part not only for his health but for his long term future. Once he graduates law school he will have a job that will provide him for years to come...

AND...actually with his boxing career nobody would know better than he does about all of the shady aspects of the sport....once he gets his law degree he could very well come in and use that to help boxers that have been screwed or he could counsel boxers on contracts and whatnot...with a law degree he could without a doubt remain close to the sport.

AND...to the person that said aomething about his money drying up due to friends and family....you are misinformed about this young man's life....he is not and never has been your typical boxer. He has no large group of hanger-ons, his parents make sure he manages his money correctly. I can assure you the money he has made in boxing will be well managed as will any monies he makes from the legal field.

NOW...he may make a comeback one day after he finished his law degree, just to take some time off, finish what he started with the legal degree....THEN just attempt a comeback just for the hell of it....and at that point I might see that as a good thing. He will have already provided himself a career type job path, would still be relativley young, will have taken some much need time off to heal from all those wars in the ring....why not at that point? If it worked out GREAT...more money...if not...no big deal you've got a law degree! lol

The guy really will have done something you just don't see in this sport....made good life decesions.

clapping.gif
neophyte7
Good. At the rate he was going he would have had Alzheimers by the time he was 30... good decision. Hopefully he has enough brain cells left to complete his studies.. he took some serious ass kicking punishment that last few years!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.