Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weakend (6/17 & 6/18) Picks
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
Friday 6/17/2011

Gennady Golovkin 20(17)-0 v Kassim Ouma 27(17)-7(1)-1 = This is for some vanilla flavored middleweight belt. No I do not think that Ouma can take Golovkin's 0. Might go the distance though. Golovkin UD

Anselmo Moreno 30(10)-1-1 v Lorenzo Parra 31(18)-2(2)-1 = Moreno has talked a bunch of shit about wanting Donaire. I think Parra may surprise him. Year of the upset continues. Parra TKO 10

Luis Ramon Campas 97(76)-15(8)-1 v Rogelio Medina 25(19)-1 = Campas has been around since well back in a previous millenium. He deserves much respect for his many wars with the likes of De La Hoya, Santos, Carr, Vargas and Felix Trinidad. In this case it is probably true that Campas has forgotten more about boxing than Medina will ever know. The kid should win but . . . the old pro takes him to school. Campas UD

Saturday 6/18/2011

Princess Alvarez 36(26)-0-1 v Ryan Rhodes 45(31)-4(2) = I hope Rhodes pulls this out his ass. Extremely unlikely. Rhodes can make the distance though. Princess A UD

Adrien Broner 20(16)-0-1 v Jason Litzau 28(21)-2(2) = Broner looked weak v Ponce in his last fight and Litzau looked good v Caballero. I don't think Broner's style bodes well for Litzau. But if Adrien fights the lazy, no combo, wannabe FMJ style he fought v de Leon, Litzau just might pull off another upset decision. I don't think so. Broner TKO 6

Your turn! Don't fall asleep and drool on your keyboard making these picks.
Sunni6Killer
Gennady Golovkin 20(17)-0 -- TKO 9th.

Anselmo Moreno 30(10)-1-1 -- Wide decision.

Luis Ramon Campas 97(76)-15(8)-1 -- Close decision.

Saturday 6/18/2011

Princess Alvarez 36(26)-0-1 -- KO 7th.

Jason Litzau 28(21)-2(2) -- Close decision.
gravytrain
Golovkin MD
Moreno SD
Campas UD
Alvarez UD
Litzau TKO 8

the sad thing is that Alvarez should tear Rhodes up but all we're going to see are his weaknesses as a cat that will be moving to PPV for his next fight.
salvador
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 17 2011, 08:32 AM) *
I hope you dudes are correct about Litzau.

I think HBO (except Merchant) hopes it too. Litzau got great ratings on ESPN and would be easy to sell in a lackluster division.

It's hard for me to imagine why you want Alvarez to lose before he gets a big fight. There aren't too many young hyped prospects with power out there right now.
salvador
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 17 2011, 09:26 AM) *
You know what, salvador? I like the kid. I like Chavez Jr. too. But that doesn't change the fact that they live protected lives. They are Mexican boxing royalty. It is an interesting appendage of the evolution of boxing.

I generally like the underdog.

I hear what you're saying, but he's only 20. If he's still fighting B level guys at 22 I'll get upset.

I always like the underdog as well and have never once bet on a favorite out of principle. That said, it was crushing to see Kirkland fall apart because he had so many great matchups in his future. It's better to wait until we've gotten some of the excitement out of these guys before it's fun to see them lose. Alvarez has too many good matchups in his future that would be wrecked if he lost tomorrow.

Chavez is different altogether. I want to see him carried out on a stretcher.
gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 17 2011, 09:43 AM) *
I think HBO (except Merchant) hopes it too. Litzau got great ratings on ESPN and would be easy to sell in a lackluster division.

It's hard for me to imagine why you want Alvarez to lose before he gets a big fight. There aren't too many young hyped prospects with power out there right now.

when is the last time prospects headlined PPVs? this fight was close to being a PPV but they're waiting until his next fight and Schaefer said it'll probably be Mayorga.

i want to see him lose because he hasn't really earned anything in boxing yet, he's just a hype job. now he's going to take up PPV dates and all the other bullshit because GBP and sell him and HBO will pay for it. him being pushed along like this is making boxing less of a sport and more of sports-entertainment and boxing isn't the WWF or whatever it's called now.
Jack 1000
You know what, Salvador? I like the kid. I like Chavez Jr. too. But that doesn't change the fact that they live protected lives. They are Mexican boxing royalty. It is an interesting appendage of the evolution of boxing.

And Bob Arum/Golden Boy will promote a strong bias to all Mexican and Latino fighters and champions. My suspicion is that both promotional companies believe that "Mexicans will buy anything." Maybe that is stereotyping, but as long as Bob/Oscar get these big Hispanic and Latino crowds for Chavez Jr, Alvarez, standing behind Margarito along with Jose Suliman like a defense attorney who believes his clients have done nothing wrong, crowds will buy the fights often against C-grade competition.

Jack
True-Boxing-Fan
What's up Breado,

Golovkin vs Ouma - Give me Golovkin by way of tko

Moreno vs Parra - I got Moreno by way of dominating UD

Campas vs Medina - Give me Medina by UD, Campas is just to old and washed up.

Alvarez vs Rhodes - I got Alvarez in a great fight by way of TKO.

Broner vs Litzau - I got Litzau in a slight but not surprising upset TKO.
SmartyBeardo
What's up T-B-F? Thanks for participating.

How bout the rest of you boxing expoyts? Flip a coin for omnipotent being's sake.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 17 2011, 02:38 PM) *
What's up T-B-F? Thanks for participating.

How bout the rest of you boxing expoyts? Flip a coin for omnipotent being's sake.

Not much man, this is fun. I think you can get more participation like you had a couple weeks back by calling out all Pactards and Floydmites, lol. You had tons of participation then.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 17 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Not much man, this is fun. I think you can get more participation like you had a couple weeks back by calling out all Pactards and Floydmites, lol. You had tons of participation then.

Maybe you are right.

HEY . . . yeah you . . . the guys with bronze replicas of Pac's or FMJ's nuts swinging from your tow ball . . . try commenting on something besides the girth of your idol's weiner.

I guess I could have been a bit more tactful. Live forward.
salvador
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 17 2011, 03:12 PM) *
when is the last time prospects headlined PPVs? this fight was close to being a PPV but they're waiting until his next fight and Schaefer said it'll probably be Mayorga.

i want to see him lose because he hasn't really earned anything in boxing yet, he's just a hype job. now he's going to take up PPV dates and all the other bullshit because GBP and sell him and HBO will pay for it. him being pushed along like this is making boxing less of a sport and more of sports-entertainment and boxing isn't the WWF or whatever it's called now.

He's 20.

Wouldn't you rather see him get in the ring undefeated and fight Cotto, Williams, Marg, Angulo, and Cintron? I mean those fights would be so much more exciting if we all believed that he was a real force. The sport is just more interesting with a young, strong, and credible contender no matter how much he makes. Watching Kirkland go down was such a bummer.

If, on the other hand, Alvarez starts charging $60 to fight guys like Mayorga then I'm with you 100%. But I'd definitely be excited to pay to see him fight any of those guys above.

gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 18 2011, 01:33 PM) *
He's 20.

Wouldn't you rather see him get in the ring undefeated and fight Cotto, Williams, Marg, Angulo, and Cintron? I mean those fights would be so much more exciting if we all believed that he was a real force. The sport is just more interesting with a young, strong, and credible contender no matter how much he makes. Watching Kirkland go down was such a bummer.

If, on the other hand, Alvarez starts charging $60 to fight guys like Mayorga then I'm with you 100%. But I'd definitely be excited to pay to see him fight any of those guys above.

his fight with Rhodes was going to be a PPV but they wanted to hold off, Mayorga is a potential PPV opponent. his next fight is a PPV regardless and that's directly from Richard Schaefer.

True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 18 2011, 01:57 PM) *
his fight with Rhodes was going to be a PPV but they wanted to hold off, Mayorga is a potential PPV opponent. his next fight is a PPV regardless and that's directly from Richard Schaefer.

So what if he is a ppv fighter or not. What's the big deal. If you don't like him just don't bye it. Obviously he has a following and golden boy is doing what any promoter would do with a fighter as popular as him, make him big money. Just because someone can be a ppv fighter doesnt mean anything. I think its no big deal.
salvador
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 18 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Maybe it was going to be a Latin Fury PPV, but I don't think HBO would have ever considered it - especially seeing how the fight tonight is BAD and not even WCB. I find it impossible to believe Schaefer or anyone in their right mind would make Alvarez an HBO PPV event in his next fight unless he was fighting Cotto or another established PPV star.
caneman
Golovkin vs Ouma - I got Golovkin by UD

Moreno vs Parra - Moreno by easy UD

Campas vs Medina - Medina by UD

Alvarez vs Rhodes - Alvarez by brutal KO

Broner vs Litzau - I got Broner by KO
gravytrain
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 18 2011, 05:16 PM) *
So what if he is a ppv fighter or not. What's the big deal. If you don't like him just don't bye it. Obviously he has a following and golden boy is doing what any promoter would do with a fighter as popular as him, make him big money. Just because someone can be a ppv fighter doesnt mean anything. I think its no big deal.

for a true boxing fan you want this sport to turn into pure shit. the same thing going on with Alvarez will keep on happening with fighters in the future. pretty soon the money makers in the sport will just be protected hype jobs that never earned the A side of a PPV. i like watching real sports, not sports-entertainment.

QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 18 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Maybe it was going to be a Latin Fury PPV, but I don't think HBO would have ever considered it - especially seeing how the fight tonight is BAD and not even WCB. I find it impossible to believe Schaefer or anyone in their right mind would make Alvarez an HBO PPV event in his next fight unless he was fighting Cotto or another established PPV star.

Latin Fury is TR and GBP can do whatever they want with Canelo, HBO isn't going to do shit. if he gets good numbers he'll get PPV dates. it's not like HBO doesn't already put on shitty PPVS.
Big Slim Sweet
I agree with Salvador here big time. Glad someone said it. I remember when Lemieux and Kirkland went down back to back and everyone on here was celebrating like it was 4th of July. Sure I get that it's always fun to spot a hype job and be proven right, but had these guys just won another fight or two they would have gone on to fight Sergio Martinez undefeated and with sections of the boxing community calling them the future of the middleweight division. It would have had the sport buzzing and would have made Maravilla look that made more ferocious when he disposed of each of them in minutes.

Then again I suppose it exposes the flaws in today's microwave structure with these kids getting hyped and rushed before their time, and hopefully the next generation of fighters and trainers (and especially promoters) sees it, takes notes and does it right the next time.
Big Slim Sweet
I came late to the thread but as for tonight I'll go Alvarez TKO 9 and Broner UD 12.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 18 2011, 05:22 PM) *
for a true boxing fan you want this sport to turn into pure shit. the same thing going on with Alvarez will keep on happening with fighters in the future. pretty soon the money makers in the sport will just be protected hype jobs that never earned the A side of a PPV. i like watching real sports, not sports-entertainment.

Well i think Canelo is a good YOUNG fighter. You can hate on Canelo and call him a hype job all you want but he is still young and has a great upside. As long as he keeps it up, he will be fine. If you have a problem with this CAT, thats your thing, but I think you should aim your hate toward Golden Boy for putting him where he is. Canelo is exciting and has a great future as long as he keeps it up.
gravytrain
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 18 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Well i think Canelo is a good YOUNG fighter. You can hate on Canelo and call him a hype job all you want but he is still young and has a great upside. As long as he keeps it up, he will be fine. If you have a problem with this CAT, thats your thing, but I think you should aim your hate toward Golden Boy for putting him where he is. Canelo is exciting and has a great future as long as he keeps it up.

he isn't just a young fighter, he's a young fighter that is getting called a "Mexican Mike Tyson" and is about to start headlining PPVs. he's also someone that hasn't even been fighting in America that long and his big wins are over C fighters. how is any boxing fan going to be excited about someone being heralded as the next big thing when he hasn't earned it? Pac earned his position, Mayweather earned his position and Tyson earned his position by demolishing the HW division in like 18 months as a 19/20 year old.

boxing is going more and more towards taking a marketable guy and protecting him then cashing in on him and not giving the real fighters a chance. who wants a sport represented by guys like Berto? it would be like the NFL saying "Tebow could be huge, we need to let him play AFL teams for 16 games then NCAA teams in the playoffs. then the Broncos can play the Browns for the trophy in Jacksonville, it'll be huge". that isn't a sport.
SmartyBeardo
Friday 6/17 results

Golovkin TKO 10

Moreno TKO 8

Campas TKO 5

Saturday 6/18 results

Alvarez TKO 12

Broner TKO 1

6Killer, gravy, caneman and yours truly ended the weekend 4-1. Sorry caneman but I have to make a technical decision that your Friday picks don't qualify since they were made on Saturday. Just sayin'.

Upon further review of the digital photo finish, 6Killer is declared the winner on the strength of calling 2 of the 5 stoppages.

Congrats 6Killer.

What a weekend of brutality. Stoppages all around.
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 20 2011, 01:56 PM) *
Friday 6/17 results

Golovkin TKO 10

Moreno TKO 8

Campas TKO 5

Saturday 6/18 results

Alvarez TKO 12

Broner TKO 10

6Killer, gravy, caneman and yours truly ended the weekend 4-1. Sorry caneman but I have to make a technical decision that your Friday picks don't qualify since they were made on Saturday. Just sayin'.

Upon further review of the digital photo finish, 6Killer is declared the winner on the strength of calling 2 of the 5 stoppages.

Congrats 6Killer.

What a weekend of brutality. Stoppages all around.

All good, the funny thing is I really though all fights were on saturday not even thinking of FNF's, lol And even missed it with my drunk ass! All good though, I wasn't trying to cheat! lolzzzzzzzzz
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 20 2011, 03:22 PM) *
All good, the funny thing is I really though all fights were on saturday not even thinking of FNF's, lol And even missed it with my drunk ass! All good though, I wasn't trying to cheat! lolzzzzzzzzz

I guess dat juice didn't work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.