Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adrien Broner (20-0)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingFan86
Are any of you familiar with this guy? I've had my eye on him for a while now and I think he's pretty decent. He reminds me of Floyd a lot (i.e. same defensive posture, same offensive weapons, same counterin' ability, undefeated, etc...), but he's not as sharp as Floyd just yet. He'll be in the ring against Jason Litzau (28-2) this Saturday on the Alvarez-Rhodes undercard (HBO). If any of you are lookin' for some new blood, he's the guy to watch. He understands the art of boxin', but he still needs a lil' bit of improvement. I've noticed that he keeps his left hand extremely low durin' fights. This could cost him 1 day. He's also a flashy boxer, which could hurt him if he ever under-estimates his opponent. That's 1 dancin'-ass dude, though. He dances in damn near all of his fights. SMH!

Here's a video of him in action...

bosco
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:48 AM) *
Are any of you familiar with this guy? I've had my eye on him for a while now and I think he's pretty decent. He reminds me of Floyd a lot (i.e. same defensive posture, same offensive weapons, same counterin' ability, undefeated, etc...), but he's not as sharp as Floyd just yet. He'll be in the ring against Jason Litzau (28-2) this Saturday on the Alvarez-Rhodes undercard (HBO). If any of you are lookin' for some new blood, he's the guy to watch. He understands the art of boxin', but he still needs a lil' bit of improvement. I've noticed that he keeps his left hand extremely low durin' fights. This could cost him 1 day. He's also a flashy boxer, which could hurt him if he ever under-estimates his opponent. That's 1 dancin'-ass dude, though. He dances in damn near all of his fights. SMH!

I watched Broner last 2 fights and he's nothing to brag about...He really didn't look that good. His power is mediocre at best. He tries to imitate Floyd but that's something you can't imitate and be successful. Kell Brook is a better prospect.
Hittman25
I thought ponce de leon got him in that in that fight even though most of his connects were to the body i didnt think that mattered but that broner has good skills i think jason litzau is gonna get lit up by a counter i can see it already.....ponce was just too small for this dude but he held his own....i think broner is gonna have to move up to 135 to get more intreastings fights there isnt anybody i can think of worth fighting at 130 if im wrong please correct
Cshel86
I cannot stand this kid! He's cocky as all get-out and he's nothing to be excited about, smh. Can you say, Floyd Mayweather mini-me? That's the problem with a lot of these rising stars (or lack there of) in the sport of boxing, they lack personality. Everybody wants to be like Mayweather and make Mayweather money, and they are also willing to jump in the gator's mouth and mention a fight with Pacquiao just for a big or decent paycheck, smh. I dont mind watching him fight, but he needs his own personality.
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 17 2011, 11:12 PM) *
I cannot stand this kid! He's cocky as all get-out and he's nothing to be excited about, smh. Can you say, Floyd Mayweather mini-me? That's the problem with a lot of these rising stars (or lack there of) in the sport of boxing, they lack personality. Everybody wants to be like Mayweather and make Mayweather money, and they are also willing to jump in the gator's mouth and mention a fight with Pacquiao just for a big or decent paycheck, smh. I dont mind watching him fight, but he needs his own personality.

yea...sadly I agree he does need his own personalty
but the kid has skills he just needs to continue to train hard and push himself
didn't watch his last fight but I'll check it out when I get the time...
True-Boxing-Fan
Broner is nothing to get excited about. He struggled and looked like shit against a smaller Ponce de Leon. He has no power and showboats way to much for someone who has done nothing. I think Litzua may light him up unless Broner puts on his running shoes to avoid a punch. To say he has Mayweather like skills is an insult to Mayweather. Broner doesnt do the shoulder roll and he lack true boxing skill. Just because a guys runs to avoid a punch doesnt mean he's a skilled boxer. Hes a wanna-be boxer who likes to showboat, nothing more.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (bosco @ Jun 17 2011, 09:16 AM) *
I watched Broner last 2 fights and he's nothing to brag about...He really didn't look that good. His power is mediocre at best. He tries to imitate Floyd but that's something you can't imitate and be successful. Kell Brook is a better prospect.

If he sticks to it long enough, maybe he'll master that style of boxin'.

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 17 2011, 09:22 AM) *
Broner has some proving to do. He was nowhere near busy enough in his last fight. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Litzau pulled off another upset.

Litzau isn't really a push-over himself, so an upset is very possible.

QUOTE (Hittman25 @ Jun 17 2011, 09:32 AM) *
I thought ponce de leon got him in that in that fight even though most of his connects were to the body i didnt think that mattered but that broner has good skills i think jason litzau is gonna get lit up by a counter i can see it already.....ponce was just too small for this dude but he held his own....i think broner is gonna have to move up to 135 to get more intreastings fights there isnt anybody i can think of worth fighting at 130 if im wrong please correct

You aren't the only person that feels that way. Many people, includin' Ponce De Leon feel that way.

QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 17 2011, 02:31 PM) *
Broner is nothing to get excited about. He struggled and looked like shit against a smaller Ponce de Leon. He has no power and showboats way to much for someone who has done nothing. I think Litzua may light him up unless Broner puts on his running shoes to avoid a punch. To say he has Mayweather like skills is an insult to Mayweather. Broner doesnt do the shoulder roll and he lack true boxing skill. Just because a guys runs to avoid a punch doesnt mean he's a skilled boxer. Hes a wanna-be boxer who likes to showboat, nothing more.

He does do the shoulder roll, he just doesn't do it as good as Floyd does it (yet). That's what made me make the comparison in the 1st place. When I 1st saw him fight, I was like, "This guy has that Mayweather defensive posture." His defensive posture is what kept me interested (the same thing that made me become a fan of Mayweather), 'cause before then, I didn't even know who the kid was. I did some research on him and watched a few clips of him on Youtube and came to the conclusion that he's definitely tryin' to be the next Floyd, although Floyd's boxin' IQ is light years ahead of his, so is his skill set.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 17 2011, 01:42 PM) *
He does do the shoulder roll, he just doesn't do it as good as Floyd does it (yet). That's what made me make the comparison in the 1st place. When I 1st saw him fight, I was like, "This guy has that Mayweather defensive posture." His defensive posture is what kept me interested (the same thing that made me become a fan of Mayweather), 'cause before then, I didn't even know who the kid was. I did some research on him and watched a few clips of him on Youtube and came to the conclusion that he's definitely tryin' to be the next Floyd, although Floyd's boxin' IQ is light years ahead of his, so is his skill set.

He is nothing like Mayweather. Floyd was taught his style from birth and it became who he is. Broner can never and will never even come into the same universe as Floyd. Just because he does a very impoverished version of Floyd don't mean anything. Plus the dude showboats like he is somebody, something Floyd never does.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 17 2011, 05:37 PM) *
He is nothing like Mayweather. Floyd was taught his style from birth and it became who he is. Broner can never and will never even come into the same universe as Floyd. Just because he does a very impoverished version of Floyd don't mean anything. Plus the dude showboats like he is somebody, something Floyd never does.

That's why I said, "he's tryin' to be the next Floyd." The keyword is "tryin'." As far as showboatin' goes, Floyd used to do that shit, but he doesn't do it now. He's grown out of it. Check out his fight against Henry Bruseles if you need proof of this. He was talkin' to the commentators (about the Super Bowl) durin' the fight and he was dancin' around after (and right before) each knock down.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 17 2011, 02:48 PM) *
As far as showboatin' goes, Floyd used to do that shit, but he doesn't do it now. He's grown out of it. Check out his fight against Henry Bruseles if you need proof of this. He was talkin' to the commentators (about the Super Bowl) durin' the fight and he was dancin' around after (and right before) each knock down.

Floyd has never showboated. His fight against Bruseles was a sham of a fight and thats why he was able to talk to Lampley and Merchant during that fight. Bruseles was and is a shit fighter, thats why Floyd was able to do that in the ring. But as far as showboating goes Floyd never has and never did that. As much as Floyd is hated outside the ring, he is all business in it. FLoyd Sr. was a blue collar fighter and thats how he raised his son. Broner is just a clown and really a side show act when he is fighting.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 17 2011, 06:18 PM) *
Floyd has never showboated. His fight against Bruseles was a sham of a fight and thats why he was able to talk to Lampley and Merchant during that fight. Bruseles was and is a shit fighter, thats why Floyd was able to do that in the ring. But as far as showboating goes Floyd never has and never did that. As much as Floyd is hated outside the ring, he is all business in it. FLoyd Sr. was a blue collar fighter and thats how he raised his son. Broner is just a clown and really a side show act when he is fighting.

There are different degrees of showboatin', but I think you won't/don't accept it as showboatin', unless it's on some extreme Mayorga type shit.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 17 2011, 06:51 PM) *
What a cocky cunt.

He better not even think about tryin' that type of shit against any real opposition, unless he wants to get bodied.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:47 PM) *
There are different degrees of showboatin', but I think you won't/don't accept it as showboatin', unless it's on some extreme Mayorga type shit.

No shit, But you can't call Floyd a use to be showboat fighter just because he talked to lampley and merchant one time while fighting a very shitty Bruseles. Floyd has been and is always is all business in the ring and Broner is a side show clown fighter.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 17 2011, 07:09 PM) *
No shit, But you can't call Floyd a use to be showboat fighter just because he talked to lampley and merchant one time while fighting a very shitty Bruseles. Floyd has been and is always is all business in the ring and Broner is a side show clown fighter.

Oh, I just brought that up, 'cause you said he's "never" done it. I understand your point, though. Since you made a valid point, I'll renege my original comment and substitute it with this 1. Floyd isn't a showboat fighter, but he is known to taunt his opponent in the ring every-once-in-a-while.
caneman
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 17 2011, 06:04 PM) *
He better not even think about tryin' that type of shit against any real opposition, unless he wants to get bodied.

True but I say more of a cross of Floyd, Judah and Emanuel Augustus! He might be something someday...I'd tell him stop the cutie pie bullshit and let those hands go more! Just saying!
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 17 2011, 10:37 PM) *
Nothing wrong with showboating and taunting your opponent to gain a psychological edge and to pump you up in a fight, if that's the effect it has on you. But this is the type of stuff that comes back to haunt you. Think of Campbell vs Peden, haha.

Campbell was just an idiot. He really thought he could take Peden's punch. Back to Broner, though. This guy just made light work of Litzau. The ref stopped the fight in the 1st round.
The Original MrFactor
Broner is more Berto than mayweather. He's great in spurts and doesnt have great defense. Litzau is an entertaining fighter who overacheived in his career. I'm glad to see him make a little money. I've watched him on ESPN for years. So I dont think we get a good assessment of the Broner in this victory.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I still think Broner could be the next big thing. I said that before the De Leon fight, and knew if he let those hands go, he'd be a problem (no pun intended lol). Big props to him, as he fought great.

Jay will be back, and I think he has a lot more achieving to do. He didn't look the same as he did against Caballero, and he didn't snap that jab. That was the most dissapointing part of the fight to me, but he's always had the heart of a lion.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 19 2011, 12:52 AM) *
I still think Broner could be the next big thing. I said that before the De Leon fight, and knew if he let those hands go, he'd be a problem (no pun intended lol). Big props to him, as he fought great.

Jay will be back, and I think he has a lot more achieving to do. He didn't look the same as he did against Caballero, and he didn't snap that jab. That was the most dissapointing part of the fight to me, but he's always had the heart of a lion.

He started slow, that's all. I'm sure if the fight would've went on, he would've gotten into the groove of things. His defense was non-existent tonight, but his head movement was on point (at times), though.
caneman
Could you imagine if Gamboa and Broner were the same size and what that fight would look like? I think it would be big time fireworks IMO! It couldn't be a boring fight I don't think!
gravytrain
if he actually comes to the ring and fights and doesn't try to showboat he can have a good career. i could see him getting a good shot depending on who his promoter is.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 19 2011, 10:56 AM) *
Could you imagine if Gamboa and Broner were the same size and what that fight would look like? I think it would be big time fireworks IMO! It couldn't be a boring fight I don't think!

I don't think he's ready for Gamboa yet.
caneman
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 20 2011, 12:44 AM) *
I don't think he's ready for Gamboa yet.

Gamboa is smaller and has about the same amount of fights but not many would deal with Gamboa easily! Too bad Juanma got KTFO but Gamboa would have done the same thing!
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:48 AM) *

I'm sorry bruh. I saw no dancing in that video. He used distance. Floyd has been riding a horse, a bike, and a moped at times in the ring. These days he looks different. I agree that Broner has stolen some of the techniques used by today's version of FMJ in the flat footed, stand, and deliver version of himself. He also has the show boating that Floyd had when he was younger. These days he's a pro. Time will tell if Broner will get knocked out, because the landscape in that division has some big punchers. I really don't like this kid much. I do have to admit that I was astounded by how easily he served Litzau up in 1. There are other fighters out there that can remain poised in that situation and will not get caught. We'll see what happens when he's in there with some guys. Let him move up and try Bam-Bam Rios. If a fighter thinks he's bad ass, put him in there with Rios.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.