Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's see Alvarez vs Cotto!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PUERTOROCKS
Whaoooooo!! What a war that would be!!!! Who would win???
caneman
QUOTE (PUERTOROCKS @ Jun 19 2011, 10:46 AM) *
Whaoooooo!! What a war that would be!!!! Who would win???

You would think Cotto but I still don't think Cotto should be over 147 but it would be a good fight!
mgrover
so far all of alvarez ive seen it just a big hard puncher, can he box? I've yet to see the Rhodes fight.
Hittman25
boring fight unless canelo and cotto step away from the norm and go all out for the on going mexico vs puerto rico war.....canelo for most of his career doesnt take chances and lets the knockout come to him and never presses the issue....cotto use to get you outta there but now he also likes to box...but i see cotto getting to canelo and getting him in trouble but saul will get through and win on points by SD....with a rematch rite after i hope
caneman
QUOTE (Hittman25 @ Jun 19 2011, 11:23 AM) *
boring fight unless canelo and cotto step away from the norm and go all out for the on going mexico vs puerto rico war.....canelo for most of his career doesnt take chances and lets the knockout come to him and never presses the issue....cotto use to get you outta there but now he also likes to box...but i see cotto getting to canelo and getting him in trouble but saul will get through and win on points by SD....with a rematch rite after i hope

I think it would be exciting personally!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 19 2011, 11:48 AM) *
I think it would be exciting personally!

i talk a lot of stuff on cotto saying he is shot etc which i think in a way he really is but that would be a great fight to see where both fighters stand at this point in their careers... cotto needs to prove he still has some fight left vs a solid fighter and canelo needs to show he deserves to be mentioned with that level of fighter... actually with the way the way they make todays fights this fight probably makes too much sense.... we shall see...
bosco
I would also like to see him fight Kermit Cintron as long as Kermit doesn't superman out the ring
JONdaCON817
Ide deff watch this fight.. i think Cotto would take it but itd deff be a war and a test of Canelos ability to withstand heavy punches to the body and face... Cotto needs to face a young hungry fighter and i think there styles would compliment each other....
BGv2.0
Not just yet. I like Alvarez and he has a boatload of talent and potential....but Cotto is no Rhodes....

I think putting this young man in with that level of a veteran fighter this early would not be the smart move at this point....I don't even know if I trust a Citron matchup just yet.

I'd like to see him in with Angolu. With angolu you have a guy that is not too much farther ahead of Alavarez career wise, packs a punch and has ability.

IMO...that is the fight for both these guys right now.

The fact he was there at the fight says a LOT. I think that fight gets made very soon.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 19 2011, 12:08 PM) *
so far all of alvarez ive seen it just a big hard puncher, can he box? I've yet to see the Rhodes fight.

You didnt miss anything.
The Original MrFactor
I'd like to see him against Angulo. Cintron was also a good choice. Its time to step up, as a champion
blackbelt2003
Isn't Cotto-Margarito next?

In which case I think you're all going to be seeing Alvarez-Margarito instead.

Black
caneman
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 19 2011, 01:52 PM) *
Isn't Cotto-Margarito next?

In which case I think you're all going to be seeing Alvarez-Margarito instead.

Black

Are you saying Marg wins again?
BoxingStill#1
I think this fight would be great....

I was actually visualizing Cotto in there with the young mexican,..

Both have pretty much the same skill set just different styles..

At this point, Canello has the edge in MENTAL toughness

Good fight,... but no way we get 2 all stars fighting young champions (floyd and Ortiz)...

Especially with Arum in the way of things... maybe if Canelo was with top rank,..then Arum wouldn't mind gettn rid of Cotto...lls

MeDatsWho
Alvarez vs martirosyan is also a good fight martirosyan can apply alot of pressure and has some power... Roach thinks martirosyan can knock him out in 1 round I wouldn't agree but he has a chance... Also angulo would be a good fight
leonthegee
It would be good but I dont see Cotto fighting in Mexico. And I dont see Canelo going into MSG either. So Las Vegas maybe.
kidbazooka1
I think alvarez beats Cotto at this point in his career but i would if i were his ppl i would give him another two fights before Cotto but from what i've seen of Canelo last night i say he beats Cotto and Kirmet.
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 19 2011, 02:55 PM) *
Are you saying Marg wins again?

personally, i think he'll. it's just a bad match up for Cotto and 9.9/10 i would take Margarito over him. he just doesn't have the stamina and can get caught up fighting Margarito's fight.
caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 19 2011, 04:57 PM) *
personally, i think he'll. it's just a bad match up for Cotto and 9.9/10 i would take Margarito over him. he just doesn't have the stamina and can get caught up fighting Margarito's fight.

I think this time Cotto can fight his fight and win going away 116-112 but I can see why you say that! The funny thing is I truly think Margarito will be the one looking like damaged goods!
BGv2.0
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 19 2011, 04:57 PM) *

Sure...it's always a bad matchup when the SOB across the way has F'N concrete in his wraps!

In a rematch NO F"N WAY....shot or not....does Margarito do the damage he did to Cotto in the first fight....same thing with Cintron.

I have ZERO doubt that bastard was doing that shit back then. Cotto has NEVER bled out of every F'N hole in his face the way he did in their fight. Why do you think that is?

caneman
Can you spell J-U-S-T-I-C-E???? I CAN!
gravytrain
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jun 19 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Sure...it's always a bad matchup when the SOB across the way has F'N concrete in his wraps!

In a rematch NO F"N WAY....shot or not....does Margarito do the damage he did to Cotto in the first fight....same thing with Cintron.

I have ZERO doubt that bastard was doing that shit back then. Cotto has NEVER bled out of every F'N hole in his face the way he did in their fight. Why do you think that is?

how many fights did Cotto start to run out of breath and run corner to corner before Margarito? he couldn't catch a break with him because he was there 3 minutes of every round fighting him. loaded gloves or not it would have been the same deal and Cotto would have lost by a few rounds.

a pressure fighter like Margarito was back then was just all wrong for Cotto. i think it'll be another close one but i see Cotto tiring down the stretch and losing rounds because he's getting outworked.
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2011, 07:24 PM) *
I have always been in the middle of gravy and BG's opinion. I would probably lean towards that Matgarito has used plaster before and probably in the Cotto fight. If he did, it no doubt contributed to Cotto's face and the beat down.
But at the same time, plaster or no plaster, I still think Margarito is a bad style for Cotto. Cotto has always tired late in fights, even look at the Mosley fight as one example. Margarito is durable, and has no reverse gear. He keeps coming forward, has a rock solid chin, fights for 3 minutes and is bigger and stronger are all ingredients that work against Cotto. Having concrete hands is just the icing on the cake.

I think Cotto has the tools to beat Margarito. He needs to box, and learn how to hold, but from the half way point onwards, will always be the time that is hardest against Margarito, for Cotto. Has to be perfect, but realistically, I think Margarito is a bad 'style' for Cotto regardless. A perfect example of styles makes fights.

Many had Cotto winning @ the time of stoppage but I had Marg up a few points from what I remember...I won't be searching it for proof! lolz

I think Cotto will win 116-112!~
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 19 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Many had Cotto winning @ the time of stoppage but I had Marg up a few points from what I remember...I won't be searching it for proof! lolz

Margarito's trainer still cracks me up with all his excuses.
Prov0
I would love to see Cotto vs Canelo i think Canelo beats him that right hand would hit Cotto allnight. I dont see this fight happening
i dont think Big Bob throws Canelo in with any of his fighters .Canelo Vs Angulo would be good.
I would personally love to see Canelo vs Chavez jr .
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 19 2011, 07:36 PM) *

Lmao.
JONdaCON817
wasnt Margacheato questionable on ever returning to the ring?... i wonder what the status is on that damaged Orbital Bone..

also its funny to me how sometimes when guys get accused of beating someone by cheating, alot of the times they wanna avenge that questionable win with a more convincing one... but even after being accused of cheating during the Cotto fight he never tried to rematch him or Mosley... atleast to my knowledge.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jun 19 2011, 02:43 PM) *
Not just yet. I like Alvarez and he has a boatload of talent and potential....but Cotto is no Rhodes....

I think putting this young man in with that level of a veteran fighter this early would not be the smart move at this point....I don't even know if I trust a Citron matchup just yet.

I'd like to see him in with Angolu. With angolu you have a guy that is not too much farther ahead of Alavarez career wise, packs a punch and has ability.

IMO...that is the fight for both these guys right now.

The fact he was there at the fight says a LOT. I think that fight gets made very soon.

Exactly! Canelo and Angulo would make a great fight! Good point in noting the status of both of their careers thus far. Who wants to see Cintron fight anyway? He could possibly give Canelo some problems, and personally, he should've been fighting Cintron instead of "Rode Out Rhodes" last weekend anyway. A fight with Cotto is definitely PPV worthy at this point, though we should let it build til next summer. Dude had 12k fans at the arena on Saturday, so yes, he has a strong fan base. He just needs about 3 more good fights before Cotto's name comes up again.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 20 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Exactly! Canelo and Angulo would make a great fight! Good point in noting the status of both of their careers thus far. Who wants to see Cintron fight anyway? He could possibly give Canelo some problems, and personally, he should've been fighting Cintron instead of "Rode Out Rhodes" last weekend anyway. A fight with Cotto is definitely PPV worthy at this point, though we should let it build til next summer. Dude had 12k fans at the arena on Saturday, so yes, he has a strong fan base. He just needs about 3 more good fights before Cotto's name comes up again.

Geze... how long do you think Cotto has anyway?

Cotto, whom I huge fan of, is one punch away from retirement...
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 20 2011, 01:30 PM) *
Geze... how long do you think Cotto has anyway?

Cotto, whom I huge fan of, is one punch away from retirement...

Damn! You do have a point there. I guess I've looked at his last couple of fights and noticed that they weren't grueling wars, so I figured he had something left in the tank for a few more big fights. He's got his hands full again with Margarito on Dec. 2nd, so he has to bring whatever he has left...or ration it out and fight smart.
JONdaCON817
its hard to tell how much time Cotto has left.. he has a hell of a resume although some wins ppl consider to have gone either way.. and has only lost to 2 fighters.. both of whom may have been cheating... and 1 of them is considered p4p king. its tough to tell... it all depends where his mind is and how he performs vs Marg.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 19 2011, 10:03 AM) *
i talk a lot of stuff on cotto saying he is shot etc which i think in a way he really is but that would be a great fight to see where both fighters stand at this point in their careers... cotto needs to prove he still has some fight left vs a solid fighter and canelo needs to show he deserves to be mentioned with that level of fighter... actually with the way the way they make todays fights this fight probably makes too much sense.... we shall see...

I agree with you. If Cotto gets by The East LA Criminal this would be a good crossroads fight for both. By that time I would take Princess Alvarez since he will probably fight twice between now and then.

BTW, where the hell you been, JLUV? Is that beaver I smell?
iKeNjiro
Hmmm Good match
butttttttt i'll like to see Alvarez vs Bradley or Khan Judah winner
aside from Judah those are young guys as well so I would like to see how it plays out
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 21 2011, 12:52 PM) *
I don't know, iKeN. It seems that it will take a year or two of shaking out before those guys move that far up. I don't think Judah will move back up, win or lose. There is also little chance that Bradley will fight beyond WW. If Amere Con keeps winning, he could move right on up to 154, IMO, through Judah, Berto, and FMJ. Obviously, I do not think that is likely.

Alvarez is fighting at 147でしょ? so Bradley and Khan should go up
I mean honestly there is nothing really left (big name wise at 140)
however they come up to 147 wow the possibilities and the names in the weight class
unless the 135 guys come up or even the 130 guys then that's a reason to stick around
The CEO
I don't like this fight for Cotto at this point in time...the young Alvarez is already a good B level fighter...too much energy and moxy for Cotto to deal with right now...
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 21 2011, 10:35 PM) *
Princess Alvarez has not fought at 147 in 6 fights (over a year ago). The kid aint gettin' any smaller. He is a bridge too far for Ramming Speed and Zab. Guerrero and Rios are on there way. Matthysse and Maidana are both exciting fighters. There's always Pac at 144 but they would probably have to lose first.

Ah yea I'm tripping, I have no clue why I thought Alvarvez was a 147 pound fighter.
Still good fights out there. Maybe Martinez vs Alvarvez 154?
flip
It would be a good fight for Canelo. But I rather see Cotto Margarito II first. (which I think is happening)

HazConvictedFelonMane
NO! Let's see Alvarez-Angulo. Let's see Alvarez-Martirosyan. Let's see anything but that. Miguel Cotto is not the same fighter he once was and Alvarez will buzz/hurt him because he doesn't absorb punishment too well these days. After his fight with Margarito, he became unable to stand up to shots that he was able to stand up against Mosley when they fought. So NO! Fuck that! Let's see a fight with Alvarez and guys like Cintron (he may be easily dismissed by the public but he may have Alvarez' number like he had Angulo's). Let the winners at 154 be decided, and then we can see what's what from there. The kid's 20 years old and he's ready to fight the devil for crying out loud. Don't hold him back. Let him make his bones. GBP, don't protect this kid! If he wants to fight, let him fight.
iKeNjiro
Martinez will be to old, I believe he's what 36 now
I think he's waiting on a Floyd fight before he retires, look at how nice he towards Floyd compared to when he speaks of Pacquiao
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.