Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Floyd Win against Castillo
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Allmenjoi8
I just watched the FMJ vs. JC match and I have to say, it was damn close. It seemed like JC was strong and moving forward and Floyd for the first time seemed miffed at the fighting style. What JC did not do was finish Mayweather or really make it seem like he was a clear winner. I did not think it was a 111 to 116 fight. If anything a draw. It was a good fight but really hard to judge. My question is did Floyd win or was JC robbed or was it too close to judge? Both fighters foght a damn good match!!!! Take nothing from either guy. No Pactard or Gayweather stuff please keep it clean protect yourself at all times and of course spare the racist remarks. Thanks ladies and gents.
DoubleDee88
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jun 22 2011, 04:20 PM) *
I just watched the FMJ vs. JC match and I have to say, it was damn close. It seemed like JC was strong and moving forward and Floyd for the first time seemed miffed at the fighting style. What JC did not do was finish Mayweather or really make it seem like he was a clear winner. I did not think it was a 111 to 116 fight. If anything a draw. It was a good fight but really hard to judge. My question is did Floyd win or was JC robbed or was it too close to judge? Both fighters foght a damn good match!!!! Take nothing from either guy. No Pactard or Gayweather stuff please keep it clean protect yourself at all times and of course spare the racist remarks. Thanks ladies and gents.

Floyd always finds a way to win, whether he looks good or not. That's what makes him so good. Similair to the De La Hoya fight where some say he struggled, but he figured out a plan and executed it perfectly. And in his prime Castillo was a top fighter.
Hops
Floyd won. However, what happened to the theory that if a Floyd opponent always comes forward that Floyd would be able to knock him out?
DoubleDee88
Fair point, Mayweather seems content to dance his way to victory against most opponents.
neophyte7
I was a member of MAXBOXING.COM back then and I remember in the aftermath of the fight there was an article depicting how photographers struggled to get 5 photos of Castillo landing to the head of Foyd... Castillo was eating right hands and was bleeding like a stuck pig... I give him credit in a competitive bout, yet clearly he did not do enough to win... in 10-12 Floyd even sat and traded with him... Castillo lost.. to Floyd's credit he did not run with the win.. he rematched and made it clear
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 22 2011, 11:33 AM) *
I was a member of MAXBOXING.COM back then and I remember in the aftermath of the fight there was an article depicting how photographers struggled to get 5 photos of Castillo landing to the head of Foyd... Castillo was eating right hands and was bleeding like a stuck pig... I give him credit in a competitive bout, yet clearly he did not do enough to win... in 10-12 Floyd even sat and traded with him... Castillo lost.. to Floyd's credit he did not run with the win.. he rematched and made it clear

THIS!
maac
According to the following, interesting link, a group of people (with knowledge of
boxing of course) was asked to do a dissection of the fight, ROUND by ROUND,
and after the overall result (and made of a independent way btw), the veredict:
Castillo was robbed! (or, at least, due to the closeness of it, a draw)

link

now, those that don't agree with it, refute that of same way (round by round and sustaining why),
not only saying that Castillo was bleeding, "bulshit", etc.

PS. at the rematch, no questions, Mayweather dominate him, his boxing was elusive and almost perfect.
Jack 1000
I had Castillo three points ahead in the first fight. Had the second fight a dismal draw. I thought neither did shit. Agreed with Lederman's card on all but the 4th round, which he gave to Floyd, and I gave to Jose. I would accept a draw to three point win for Floyd. My scoring may have been a little biased, because I was very pissed at the decision in the first fight, and wanted Floyd to lose.

Floyd did much, much, better and dominated against Sosa (no, not Sammy, hahaha) and N'dou. But a top P4P boxer in Mayweather had no business fighting Sosa and N'dou, or Henry Brusseles.

Floyd was not impressive against Castillo in EITHER fight.

Jack
caneman
I had Castillo winning the first fight 115-113 and pbf winning the second
115-113 but could see 116-112 and for whoever said it, Castillo might not
Have landed to the head much but was heavy to the body and in the 2nd
Fight PBF was bleeding from his mouth and had it on his trunks
And was crying to roger how they were getting water on his trunks!
Lmao
boxtop123
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jun 22 2011, 11:20 AM) *

floyd won both but by a close margin it's easy to go back now and stop tape but in real time judges got it right should have been scored closer but the right guy won stalking a guy gets you no points
neophyte7
QUOTE (boxtop123 @ Jun 22 2011, 01:05 PM) *
floyd won both but by a close margin it's easy to go back now and stop tape but in real time judges got it right should have been scored closer but the right guy won stalking a guy gets you no points

That's how I see it. Castillo was often as ineffectively aggressive as he was affectively aggressive and successful with his body shots. Judges probably leaned toward floyd who landed more head shots
caneman
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 22 2011, 12:02 PM) *
I had Castillo winning the first fight 115-113 and pbf winning the second
115-113 but could see 116-112 and for whoever said it, Castillo might not
Have landed to the head much but was heavy to the body and in the 2nd
Fight PBF was bleeding from his mouth and had it on his trunks
And was crying to roger how they were getting water on his trunks!
Lmao

It was the 1st fight that PBF was crying about water on his yellow and white
Grant leather trunks, he sounded like a botch that tore her shockings
honestly! I loved his blood on his trunks in the 2nd fight!
Big Slim Sweet
I thought Castillo won the first fight and Floyd won the second. Both times I was rooting for PBF. I remember thinking it was a bad decision (the first one) but not being too unhappy about it, that it was close enough to where I was still glad he kept his 0.
'
My how shit has changed. laugh.gif

Wonder whether PBF's career would have gone any differently had he lost that first fight? Would he have taken more chances with his career without the burden of protecting his '0'? Would he have stepped up and taken on all comers to prove the loss was a fluke? Or would he behave like the same douche and just relentlessly bitch about his '1' and how no one's ever really beaten him?
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 22 2011, 01:17 PM) *
He still has his 0 don't he?

I had it for Castillo in the first fight but it was close enough not to be a robbery I suppose. The argument that Castillo didn't do enough would be more aptly applied to FMJ since he was the challenger and largely was in survival mode the whole fight.

No way was it robbery but I honestly felt the best PBF could do was a draw! That's just my opinion!
TzFrank
i have both of the castillo fights on dvd and i believe floyd won. I even took a sheet of paper and judged it myself and i had floyd 116-114, it was close...castillo really wasnt landing that many effective punches but he was bringing constant pressure. I believe floyd felt he won pretty convincingly thats why he was quick to fight a rematch and prove to the public that he deserved to win that fight. I also believe floyd said he was coping with hand problems in that first castillo match he said in the post fight interview, but he doesn't make excuses. This fight kind of reminded me of the hatton fight were hatton brought constant pressure. I think fights like the castillo fight better prepared floyd to face fighters like hatton because floyd seemed much more comfortable in that situation in that fight.
Allmenjoi8
Good comments. Floyd is a damn good boxer. It was a great fight and I can see why the judges gave it to Mayweather. accuracy and power. It was a real challenge. Great fight. I wonder if they fought again would it be interesting. That was a joke.
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 22 2011, 01:20 PM) *
It was the 1st fight that PBF was crying about water on his yellow and white
Grant leather trunks, he sounded like a botch that tore her shockings
honestly! I loved his blood on his trunks in the 2nd fight!

that wasn't the problem, him saying he'd to take on Castillo because of differences with Arum was bad.
neophyte7
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 22 2011, 04:13 PM) *
that wasn't the problem, him saying he'd to take on Castillo because of differences with Arum was bad.

???????? talk to me !!!
bosco
I had Floyd winning a very close fight but Castillo was on his ass though...I don't think Floyd was really physically strong at that weight yet and it was hard for him to keep Castillo off him. I think that fight also taught him a lesson to become physically stronger. Their 2 fights kinda gave you the feel of Chad Dawson vs Glen Johnson. First fight Dawson won a razor thin decision with Glen Johnson coming on strong in the end and the second fight Dawson left no questions.

Fitz
I thought it was a close fight that could have gone either way. I just never agreed with the term, that Castillo go 'robbed'. It was a fight where neither fighter really dominated, rounds were close and could have gone either way. I just don't agree with the term 'robbery' in this fight.
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 22 2011, 05:26 PM) *
???????? talk to me !!!

it's on the telecast for the fight.

bosco
Overall I scored the fight 114-112 for Mayweather...If there was no scoring system and I had to judge the fight as a whole I say Castillo won because overall he got the best of Floyd but since boxing is scored round by round 10 point must system Floyd squeaked it out...Castillo had Floyd on his bicycle though...lol
STEVENSKI
It is subjective & really depends on how you score rounds. I had Castillo winning clearly in the first & a draw for the 2nd. I feel the first fight Castillo got jobbed but then I have the benefit of multiple camera angles rather than a fixed viewpoint like a judge at ringside.

In the first PBF was as usual more economical & effective with his counter shots but I feel that JLC controlled the fight more & was the one coming forward & going to the body. He showed the blueprint of how you can beat Floyd. Pity no one tries to follow it.

Floyd has great defense & his shoulder roll is a nice tool. However no matter how you move the body stays in the one plane & most of Floyds opponents get head happy & try & take his head off. It ain't gonna happen but if you go to the body for the first 1/2 of the fight you may slow Floyd down enough to catch the head later on & worst case win some rounds off that body work.

You can't change the past & PBF got the W in both fights.
neophyte7
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jun 22 2011, 06:53 PM) *
it's on the telecast for the fight.

Interesting... George Foreman implied it was the promoters job to make Floyd a household name... The feud was that Arum was doing nothing to market Floyd...hmmmmm very interesting indeed...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 22 2011, 06:56 PM) *
It is subjective & really depends on how you score rounds. I had Castillo winning clearly in the first & a draw for the 2nd. I feel the first fight Castillo got jobbed but then I have the benefit of multiple camera angles rather than a fixed viewpoint like a judge at ringside.

In the first PBF was as usual more economical & effective with his counter shots but I feel that JLC controlled the fight more & was the one coming forward & going to the body. He showed the blueprint of how you can beat Floyd. Pity no one tries to follow it.

Floyd has great defense & his shoulder roll is a nice tool. However no matter how you move the body stays in the one plane & most of Floyds opponents get head happy & try & take his head off. It ain't gonna happen but if you go to the body for the first 1/2 of the fight you may slow Floyd down enough to catch the head later on & worst case win some rounds off that body work.

You can't change the past & PBF got the W in both fights.

This about sums it up for me. I thought Castillo won the first fight cleanly and clearly. It was nip and tuck and definately not a robbery. However I've watched it multiple times now and everytime I do watch it my resolve becomes stronger that Castillo won that fight.

I gave Floyd the 2nd but it is the 1st fight we are discussing right?
mgrover

watch the following videos and then make up your mind
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 22 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Interesting... George Foreman implied it was the promoters job to make Floyd a household name... The feud was that Arum was doing nothing to market Floyd...hmmmmm very interesting indeed...

Arum is definitely an old school promoter, his needs come first period. i think the feud is from that reality and Mayweather thinking pretty highly of himself. him complaining about this match up as something Arum was just doing to get back at him is crazy though. i think the only reason to say something like that is if you wanted an easier fight for a title in the division.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 23 2011, 09:58 AM) *
This about sums it up for me. I thought Castillo won the first fight cleanly and clearly. It was nip and tuck and definately not a robbery. However I've watched it multiple times now and everytime I do watch it my resolve becomes stronger that Castillo won that fight.I gave Floyd the 2nd but it is the 1st fight we are discussing right?

Agreed. Especially the bold part. That is when I score the fight based on merits & leave my dislike of Floyd at the door. I simply cannot see how Floyd won that fight.

JLUVBABY
i thought castillo won the first fight and mayweather the second... castillo was on top of his game for the first fight... it is what it is... the guy was a solid pro and fighter at his very best... but the fight was close and it very well could be seen close in either direction... the second fight mayweather won for sure tho castillo made it close as well... shows what kind of fighter a prime castillo really was to go toe to toe with a fighter like that version of mayweather...
caneman
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 22 2011, 07:06 PM) *

watch the following videos and then make up your mind

wow I said 115-113 castillo, this time 116-112 but closer round wise if that makes sense IDK!!!
caneman
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 22 2011, 07:54 PM) *
i thought castillo won the first fight and mayweather the second... castillo was on top of his game for the first fight... it is what it is... the guy was a solid pro and fighter at his very best... but the fight was close and it very well could be seen close in either direction... the second fight mayweather won for sure tho castillo made it close as well... shows what kind of fighter a prime castillo really was to go toe to toe with a fighter like that version of mayweather...

OMG JLUV can be objective! lol!
bosco
Castillo was getting credit for a lot of body shots that Floyd blocked with his elbows..so a lot of those body shots you thought Castillo was landing he didn't.
caneman
lmfao
neophyte7
QUOTE (bosco @ Jun 22 2011, 10:04 PM) *
Castillo was getting credit for a lot of body shots that Floyd blocked with his elbows..so a lot of those body shots you thought Castillo was landing he didn't.

That is how I saw it...

facing Castillo twice in back to backsis a helluva an accomplishment let alone beating him twice... What happened to Castillo.. was it wear and tear.. he is only two years older than Floyd...I was heated when Corrales spit out his mouthpiece repeatedly and was able to get the TKO on him.. the fight should have been stopped with the repeated spitting of the mouthpiece.. Castillo had Diego sprawling on the canvas near death!!!
Lil-lightsout
Castillo won the first fight, PBF got a gift. This is boxing, it happens all the time.(Toney against Tiberi, Oscar against Sturm, Morales against Barrera I, etc.)

The second fight was close, but I gave it to Floyd. No way did Floyd dominate or clearly win it.
riddick
114-112 Mayweather.Lederman's card it's a bullshit.
mrwigi
I myself am a fan of Floyd, and i personally thought he lost the first fight to Jose. But that fight clearly showed how good he is because he was injured, and still dealt with a very good pressure fighter. People also seem to forget Mayweather was moving up to fight Castillo. Either way, he's still undefeated, and pretty much erased all doubt in the second fight.
Maxy
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 22 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Castillo won the first fight, PBF got a gift. This is boxing, it happens all the time.(Toney against Tiberi, Oscar against Sturm, Morales against Barrera I, etc.)

The second fight was close, but I gave it to Floyd. No way did Floyd dominate or clearly win it.

This.
HazConvictedFelonMane
For all of this talk about him losing, he's still undefeated. If you wanna talk about someone that's undefeated, but clearly lost, you wanna talk about Lucian Bute in Montreal against Andrade. The ref gave him a mega long count. HBO's timer puts Bute getting up after 30 seconds. That never happened to Floyd so all of that talk of Castillo winning is just hoopla. Floyd's 0 will remain in tact until he decides to call it quits for good. Manny Pacquiao doesn't have the tools to defeat him. Lunge punching will get him countered all night long. Handily at that. Ortiz will get schooled. If he wants to push the pace of the fight, he will leave himself open for serious damage. Floyd rules! Best EVER. Pacquiao, who? Never heard of him.
D-MARV
AND THE NEWWWWWWWWWWW...

Mayweather was the CLEAR winner in this fight. Sure it was competitive, but NO WAY Castillo won more rounds. I had Mayweather winning 115-111. I would be glad to watch and discuss any round with anyone who disagrees. But this was as clear as day in my opinion.

A couple of things I did notice while going back and watching this fight again...

CompuBox was fucking horrible that night. Harold Lederman was just as bad. You can't give Castillo rounds for moving forward and doing nothing. Floyd jabbed early and controlled the first 5 rounds pretty easily. Castillo came on during the midrounds and took a few rounds based on activity but he missed a lot of those shot he got credit for.

Here's my breakdown:

Round 1: Mayweather 10-9
Round 2: Mayweather 10-9
Round 3: Mayweather 10-9
Round 4: Mayweather 10-9
Round 5: Mayweather 10-9
Round 6: Castillo 10-9
Round 7: Castillo 10-9
Round 8: Mayweather 10-8
Round 9: Mayweather 10-9
Round 10: Castillo 10-8
Round 11: Mayweather 10-9
Round 12: Castillo 10-9
flazi
I had floyd winning the first 5 rounds in the first fight then 2 to 3 more along the way. anyone who give castillo any of the first 5 rounds and all of the last 7 don't know how to judge fights. It was a great accomplishment for floyd to go up in weight and take on the baddest man at that weight and beat him, twice.
Romulus9

neophyte7
CASTILLO LOST... he really didn't complain either. I remember him in the second fight coming back to his corner and shaking his head... he said "his style is very difficult" LMAO
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 24 2011, 01:48 AM) *
Floyd rules! Best EVER. Pacquiao, who? Never heard of him.

Go learn something about the history of boxing & come back homeboy. Comments like that show ignorance.
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 23 2011, 02:01 PM) *
CASTILLO LOST... he really didn't complain either. I remember him in the second fight coming back to his corner and shaking his head... he said "his style is very difficult" LMAO

Both fighters knew toward the end it was close and could go either way. So Floyd was forced to stay in the pocket and bang it out. Which he did very well.
neophyte7
Yeah.. in fight one Roger told him to sit down with Castillo and Floyd did.... Think over that when talking about chins.. Castillo found Floyd's chin a few times yet that didn't stop Floyd from standing in there with Castillo when he had to.. and not to many people would stand to to toe with Castillo and have success. I like Castillo... just feel he lost to Floyd twice. I became more of a fan when he and Corrales fought and he basically had Chico sprawling near death forcing him to spit out his mouthpiece multiple times... poor officiating allowed Chico to get away with that bitch move...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 24 2011, 11:07 AM) *
and not to many people would stand to to toe with Castillo and have success.

Chinny Chico did it for 10 rounds exchanging heavy heavy leather with Castillo. Not the best example for proving Floyds chin.
neophyte7
Are you implying Castillo had no pop? I do realize he is an attrition fighter to a degree.. but talk to me? I mean Floyd always has his chin questioned yet I have seen him get hit there many times by guys like Castillo, Chavez... to name a few.. Corley hurt him the most and that was a temple shot.. Mosley landed hellacious shots yet other than sway and roll with the onslaught, mayweather was never separated from his senses... good chin dude.. I repeat Corley landed a temple shot.. even the granite chinned Holyfield (Ruiz I) was badly hurt by a temple shot and he was nearly out, yet that did not take away from his great chin. I have seen Floyd in wars of attrition in the past (Mayweather vs Emmanuel Agustus) Agustus hit Floyd more cleanly and more often than any fighter ever has.. Floyd said agustus gave him his toughest bout. and that was a GREAT ACTION FIGHT!!!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 24 2011, 12:34 PM) *
Are you implying Castillo had no pop? I do realize he is an attrition fighter to a degree.. but talk to me? I mean Floyd always has his chin questioned yet I have seen him get hit there many times by guys like Castillo, Chavez... to name a few.. Corley hurt him the most and that was a temple shot.. Mosley landed hellacious shots yet other than sway and roll with the onslaught, mayweather was never separated from his senses... good chin dude.. I repeat Corley landed a temple shot.. even the granite chinned Holyfield (Ruiz I) was badly hurt by a temple shot and he was nearly out, yet that did not take away from his great chin. I have seen Floyd in wars of attrition in the past (Mayweather vs Emmanuel Agustus) Agustus hit Floyd more cleanly and more often than any fighter ever has.. Floyd said agustus gave him his toughest bout. and that was a GREAT ACTION FIGHT!!!

Sorry mate you are missing my point on this. Floyd took a few good shots from Castillo but JLC is not a puncher as you said he is a attrition fighter who wears you out. Nor is Corley or Augustus or Mosley (at 147). Chavez was a decent puncher but taking occasional shots off these guys is not the stuff to be saying taking these punches = a great chin.

Now if you are asking has Floyd shown great defense & recovery after being tagged then yes he has but he has shown he can be hurt if caught even by a relatively light puncher.

Fitz
Corrales-Castillo still kind of annoys me. Corrales lucked out that Castillo relaxed. Castillo basically had the fight wrapped up, and then kind of relaxed. Should have been Castillo's night. He beat Chico like a red headed step child in the second. A true 4 round beat down from pillar to post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.