Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ONE OF ROBERTO DURAN'S GREATEST MOMENTS
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
neophyte7
ROBERTO DURAN WAS TREMENDOUS.. in his fight with Iran Barkley AT THE TIME HE WAS 84-7, you see the level of greatness he possessed in what I believe one of his greatest victories. Blade was a huge middleweight who just stretched Tommy Hearns!!! What guts to take on a younger bigger middleweight who stretched the HITMAN--- the HITMAN THAT almost killED DURAN WHEN THEY MET. All of the skill , saavy, and chin was on display when he beat up on Barkley. I recall the right hand that sent BARKLEY TO THE CANVAS... the way it was delivered was a thing of beauty... Duran was nearly 38 when he beat Barkley who mAy not have been the best skill wise, yet he could take a tremendous punch and was a monster physically.

THE 37 YEAR OLD MIDDLEWEIGHT VERSION OF DURAN THAT BEAT BARKLEY would have been more than a handful for any middle on the scene today!!!
gravytrain
it's a damn shame you've to go on youtube to see stuff like this now.
neophyte7
You are right!!! but its worth it to see this type of performance anyway anyhow... the fight was a great fight!!! great action

1989 fight of the year-- Defensively Duran was great!!! He could not be hot when he did not want to be hit!!!
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 22 2011, 04:26 PM) *
You are right!!! but its worth it to see this type of performance anyway anyhow... the fight was a great fight!!! great action

1989 fight of the year-- Defensively Duran was great!!! He could not be hot when he did not want to be hit!!!

i'm talking about all the fighters fighting like it's still the 90s lol. i do get on youtube a lot just to watch fights though

i think Duran gets underrated sometimes, he'd some serious skills. i think it gets overlooked sometimes because of the SRL rematch and that machismo he'd.
neophyte7
I figured that is what you meant LOL.. yeah.. guys back then used to get after it. You don't see exchanges the like of Barkley and Duran in this one hardly anymore... bad intentions on almost every shot!!!

I am not going to get many responses on this thread.. I doubt many of the posters here even can go back that far in boxing history to know of this bout.. LOL
Fitz
This was one of my favourite Duran performances I saw.
STEVENSKI
The most impressive thing to ,e was the left hook Duran took in the 5th round? That shit nearly twisted his head off & he took it & fired back.

One of Durans highlights although his biggest one to me was Duran vs DeJesus II. A sorely underappreciated fight & Duran at his peak.
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 22 2011, 05:19 PM) *
I figured that is what you meant LOL.. yeah.. guys back then used to get after it. You don't see exchanges the like of Barkley and Duran in this one hardly anymore... bad intentions on almost every shot!!!

I am not going to get many responses on this thread.. I doubt many of the posters here even can go back that far in boxing history to know of this bout.. LOL

it seems like people only hear about the fighters from other eras when HBO says "this fight is like Hagler vs Hearns" or all the other stuff they throw around. then of course they bring up SRR as a comparison.

i'm willing to bet that SRR could beat most of the guys now with 1 hand giving them the business and the other combing the conk.
mrwigi
Duran was always a beast in my eyes. Through his ups and downs. I always liked his 1st fight with leonard. Its almost like sugar had no idea what he was up against saying he would fight flat footed. He should have known there was a reason they called him hands of stone.
neophyte7
[quote name='STEVENSKI' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:46 PM' post='524743']
The most impressive thing to ,e was the left hook Duran took in the 5th round? That shit nearly twisted his head off & he took it & fired back.

Barkley was a huge middle.. like a lightheavy in there.. when Duran took that shot and came back... I was like Damned..Hearns must have had dynamite in that right hand that nearly put Duran in a coma... his chin was granite
STEVENSKI
Hearns is probably the best one punch fighter I have ever seen. He laid out fools on the regular with single shots.
STEVENSKI
Duran vs DeJesus II part I

If you have not watched this fight then WATCH IT!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 23 2011, 02:25 PM) *
Absolute classic. DeJesus was a great warrior.

He was a excellent well schooled lightweight. If he was fighting today he would cause all sorts of trouble for the 135-140lbers.

One of the most underrated boxers IMO.
kidbazooka1
That fight showed just how great Duran was and he was already past his best when he beat Barkley.

At his best Duran had it all.
neophyte7
Even though he lost to Leonard.. he is way above him All time in my book... not even close ... when he faced barkley he was 84-7... damned.... against Barkley he was picking off barkley's punches, even picking off and blocking his jab... he also had an uncanny defense.. Hands of Stone... one bad mofo

FOR THE LAST few days I was looking at my top ten all time and wondering about it...
Jack 1000
I LOVE This fight! Reminiscent of Duran's days as Lightwight Champion and the first Leonard fight where he just kept coming and Barkley just kept coming. Great bombs and fierce exchanges!!!!

Too bad that Duran went into a shell, and didn't do shit against Leonard in the rubber match, ten months later.

Jack
caneman
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 22 2011, 09:47 PM) *
Duran vs DeJesus II part I

If you have not watched this fight then WATCH IT!

Great fight,I actually forgot about it! Duran was a beast! That is what a top ATG looks like!
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
Amazing right hand of stone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.