Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who REALLY thinks Pacquiao will fight Mike Jones?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
HazConvictedFelonMane
Bob Arum was recently in the news stating that he had plans for Mike Jones to be Pacquiao's opponent early next year. My question is, Who's actually buying into this? I find it odd that Team Pacquiao would call Berto 'inexperienced and unknown', yet they would consider a match with Mike Jones? Mike Jones punched himself out in the 1st round, during his 1st fight with Soto-K. That alone shows exactly how green this kid really is. It's a 10 or 12 round pro fight, not a street brawl. I'm just fed up with the contradictions, the lies, and smokescreens. This fighter isn't even a world champion, and when people mention his name, they can easily confuse him with the rapper from Houston, TX. If Bob's trying to compete with Mayweather's decision to fight a young champion, he's only making himself look very bad. Mike Jones is high risk, low reward. At least if he would've fought Berto and beat him, he could've been able to say he beat a young world champion in his prime. If he would've fought Mosley when he was WBA champion, he could've been able to say he beat a legendary fighter while he was still functional. It's all bogus to me. Why fight Jones who's a nobody, after they've ducked any fighter who's still fresh? It's some bullshit. I just don't see it happening. This guy is strong as fuck! Who's buying into this? Try to prove something by fighting a young fighter, but make sure he's a world champ, former world champ, or a serious contender. They never cease to amaze me with their ass backwards way of doing things. Champion fighters are too risky, but he's willing to get in the ring with a that's young and strong? I don't buy this crap for a second. We don't wanna see Pacquiao-Jones. Stop fucking up the game! This is boxing! This is where the best, fight the best! Get wit' it.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 26 2011, 02:54 AM) *
Bob Arum was recently in the news stating that he had plans for Mike Jones to be Pacquiao's opponent early next year. My question is, Who's actually buying into this? I find it odd that Team Pacquiao would call Berto 'inexperienced and unknown', yet they would consider a match with Mike Jones? Mike Jones punched himself out in the 1st round, during his 1st fight with Soto-K. That alone shows exactly how green this kid really is. It's a 10 or 12 round pro fight, not a street brawl. I'm just fed up with the contradictions, the lies, and smokescreens. This fighter isn't even a world champion, and when people mention his name, they can easily confuse him with the rapper from Houston, TX. If Bob's trying to compete with Mayweather's decision to fight a young champion, he's only making himself look very bad. Mike Jones is high risk, low reward. At least if he would've fought Berto and beat him, he could've been able to say he beat a young world champion in his prime. If he would've fought Mosley when he was WBA champion, he could've been able to say he beat a legendary fighter while he was still functional. It's all bogus to me. Why fight Jones who's a nobody, after they've ducked any fighter who's still fresh? It's some bullshit. I just don't see it happening. This guy is strong as fuck! Who's buying into this? Try to prove something by fighting a young fighter, but make sure he's a world champ, former world champ, or a serious contender. They never cease to amaze me with their ass backwards way of doing things. Champion fighters are too risky, but he's willing to get in the ring with a that's young and strong? I don't buy this crap for a second. We don't wanna see Pacquiao-Jones. Stop fucking up the game! This is boxing! This is where the best, fight the best! Get wit' it.

I like the way you think...

But paq beats Jones anyway... lol...
AussieLad
Jones shouldnt be in the ring with Pac, not at this stage of his career. But then again, if its pacs mandatory... he has to honor that. I have no problem with this fight if its mandated, but in reality pac should probably vacate and fight the bigger matches if he were forced into that situation.

Once a guy gets to number 1 contender status, he should get his opportunity, whether its facing the champ or fighting for a vacated title. I would much prefer that then watch a guy wait in the shadows while the champ comes up with every excuse to fight someone else and not honor his mandatory
Hops
Pacquiao is fighting Ortiz next to Juan Manuel. End of discussion. This thread should be closed.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jun 26 2011, 04:44 AM) *
Jones shouldnt be in the ring with Pac, not at this stage of his career. But then again, if its pacs mandatory... he has to honor that. I have no problem with this fight if its mandated, but in reality pac should probably vacate and fight the bigger matches if he were forced into that situation.

Once a guy gets to number 1 contender status, he should get his opportunity, whether its facing the champ or fighting for a vacated title. I would much prefer that then watch a guy wait in the shadows while the champ comes up with every excuse to fight someone else and not honor his mandatory

agreed 110%...
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jun 26 2011, 05:44 AM) *

I visited the WBO's website, and Mike Jones is the number 1 contender. My whole point of the matter is this: Manny Pacquiao and his team are really going in radical directions as of lately. They favor fights with ex-champions, current champions who've been brutalized/exposed, and guys on their way out. I feel they've made a ton of excuses to justify taking a fight with Shane Mosley over Andre Berto. They said that Berto was unknown, inexperienced, and a fight with him made no 'business sense'. Please tell me when Mike Jones became an overnight sensation. Tell me when Mike Jones proved himself to be a worthy opponent to bid for the P4P crown? He certainly didn't prove anything in his 2 fights with JS-K. These kinds of actions speaks volumes on the unwillingness they have to engage real legit threats. The difference between Berto, pre-Ortiz, and Mike Jones now, is the fact that Andre Berto was WBC welterweight champion for 3 years. My honest opinion says that it's a smokescreen to try to put Manny on a level with Floyd. Floyd's done something that very few expected him to do. That's choose to fight a young champion in his youth. Bob Arum knows that they will catch heavy criticism if they do not try to do something similar, and once again attempt to match steps with the pretty boy. They've been on a 3 year 'follow the leader, and try to out do him' tenure. So it seems befitting for them to run their mouths and try to make things seem as if they are really considering fighting a strong young fighter on the rise. I'll believe it when I see it. It's just a crying shame to me though. They constantly rob us of fights that we would like to see, in favor of fights with slow fighters, old fighters, and damaged fighters to wit we know the outcome to, as soon as the fight's announced. As far as mandatory fights are concerned, Manny's been WBO champion since 2009. When des he have to face a mandatory? Does mandatory challenges apply to everyone besides Manny Pacquiao? I almost forgot that Manny fights for Bob Arum. A guy that's been in trouble for bribery and investigated for allegedly fixing fights. I'm just tired of the lame excuses. Bob Arum only has Pacquiao fighting guys from Top Rank. I'm certain that there are fighters in other stables that will take the fight to Manny Pacquiao. His cherry picking posse is too afraid to gamble, so they play it safe. This is boxing! There's no such thing as a safe place.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 26 2011, 08:19 AM) *
I visited the WBO's website, and Mike Jones is the number 1 contender. My whole point of the matter is this: Manny Pacquiao and his team are really going in radical directions as of lately. They favor fights with ex-champions, current champions who've been brutalized/exposed, and guys on their way out. I feel they've made a ton of excuses to justify taking a fight with Shane Mosley over Andre Berto. They said that Berto was unknown, inexperienced, and a fight with him made no 'business sense'. Please tell me when Mike Jones became an overnight sensation. Tell me when Mike Jones proved himself to be a worthy opponent to bid for the P4P crown? He certainly didn't prove anything in his 2 fights with JS-K. These kinds of actions speaks volumes on the unwillingness they have to engage real legit threats. The difference between Berto, pre-Ortiz, and Mike Jones now, is the fact that Andre Berto was WBC welterweight champion for 3 years. My honest opinion says that it's a smokescreen to try to put Manny on a level with Floyd. Floyd's done something that very few expected him to do. That's choose to fight a young champion in his youth. Bob Arum knows that they will catch heavy criticism if they do not try to do something similar, and once again attempt to match steps with the pretty boy. They've been on a 3 year 'follow the leader, and try to out do him' tenure. So it seems befitting for them to run their mouths and try to make things seem as if they are really considering fighting a strong young fighter on the rise. I'll believe it when I see it. It's just a crying shame to me though. They constantly rob us of fights that we would like to see, in favor of fights with slow fighters, old fighters, and damaged fighters to wit we know the outcome to, as soon as the fight's announced. As far as mandatory fights are concerned, Manny's been WBO champion since 2009. When des he have to face a mandatory? Does mandatory challenges apply to everyone besides Manny Pacquiao? I almost forgot that Manny fights for Bob Arum. A guy that's been in trouble for bribery and investigated for allegedly fixing fights. I'm just tired of the lame excuses. Bob Arum only has Pacquiao fighting guys from Top Rank. I'm certain that there are fighters in other stables that will take the fight to Manny Pacquiao. His cherry picking posse is too afraid to gamble, so they play it safe. This is boxing! There's no such thing as a safe place.

yea cuhz if this shyt does go down then they really finna get exposed for there BS piccs. it keeps gettin worse and worse. sooner or later that shyt is gonna catch up to em!
lloyd mayflower
The p4p crown is mythical, Mannys title is not. Mike Jones is the contender and deserves the shot he has earned. If Manny can make the fight with Floyd fair enough, i'd like him to vacate, but other than that, what else do you want from him? Why shouldnt he stay busy by knocking off mandatories?

This is whats wrong with boxing, and why there were some knobbers questioning Kostya Tzsyu's HOF credentials. If Manny needs a fight and Floyd is still throwing his toys around the pram, who else is more deserving than his mandatory???
caneman
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 26 2011, 12:07 PM) *
The p4p crown is mythical, Mannys title is not. Mike Jones is the contender and deserves the shot he has earned. If Manny can make the fight with Floyd fair enough, i'd like him to vacate, but other than that, what else do you want from him? Why shouldnt he stay busy by knocking off mandatories?

This is whats wrong with boxing, and why there were some knobbers questioning Kostya Tzsyu's HOF credentials. If Manny needs a fight and Floyd is still throwing his toys around the pram, who else is more deserving than his mandatory???

I agree with much of what you say but I will say, Pacman should have fucked Berto up 2 or 3 fights ago for FMJ's favorite belt! If Pac fights all comers the nutt mites will still say he is shit, no skills & on roids! lmao, it's a joke! I hope we get the biggest fight ever but Pacman should stop being such a nice guy & push the so called ATG's buttons & take the test, & tell him you like beating bitches? Well come beat me bitch!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Honestly, I'd rather have Pac fight Mike Jones than Shane Mosley, which he already did. At least Jones would try in there, and he might learn a thing or too. I don't think he's ready for Pac, but he is the mandatory. Mike Jones looked improved in the SK rematch, so hopefully he gets better and better.
Cshel86
I like Pacquiao as a fighter, but now Im really starting to not like him because of his Promoter! Mike Jones?! Really, whose gonna shell out $50+ to watch him dismantle an unknown fighter. I will watch it, if its aired on HBO or Showtime, but not on PPV. Some of the things that Floyd is saying about Pac is coming to light, especially when he talks about Pac not being able to speak up for himself.

To my knowledge, Pacquiao has his own promotional company (MP Promotions) and he seems to be doing nothing with it. Why not leave Arum and sign yourself to your own company and make more money...along with choosing who you really want to fight. This is something that he could do, but wait, Arum would completely screw him over if he tried to leave. If he doesn't do something fast, then Arum will continue to throw him in the ring with tomatoe cans and make money off of him.

I understand the "low risk, high reward" system, but seriously, people are starting to get tired of it. This is more of Arum's fault, but Pac's as well for not trying to do his own thing and still be managed by Arum. Just a thought...
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 27 2011, 10:30 AM) *
I like Pacquiao as a fighter, but now Im really starting to not like him because of his Promoter! Mike Jones?! Really, whose gonna shell out $50+ to watch him dismantle an unknown fighter. I will watch it, if its aired on HBO or Showtime, but not on PPV. Some of the things that Floyd is saying about Pac is coming to light, especially when he talks about Pac not being able to speak up for himself.

To my knowledge, Pacquiao has his own promotional company (MP Promotions) and he seems to be doing nothing with it. Why not leave Arum and sign yourself to your own company and make more money...along with choosing who you really want to fight. This is something that he could do, but wait, Arum would completely screw him over if he tried to leave. If he doesn't do something fast, then Arum will continue to throw him in the ring with tomatoe cans and make money off of him.

I understand the "low risk, high reward" system, but seriously, people are starting to get tired of it. This is more of Arum's fault, but Pac's as well for not trying to do his own thing and still be managed by Arum. Just a thought...

Maybe if he tries to leave Bob Arum, he'd be subjected to the same thing that Floyd's been subjected to. He'd be ducking this guy, afraid of that guy. Most of all, he'd probably put Manny on blast for dabbling in the sauce. Usually when people won't find themselves a way out of a bad situation, it can be because there is something hanging over their heads. I've been somene that has long been critical of Pac's decision to stay with Top Rank. People say this and that about Floyd, but at least he's smart enough to go in business for himself. He can afford to take time off from the sport becuase he has no one that he has to answer to. Manny Pacquiao is Bob Arum's lap dog. He's an obedient little pooch now isn't he? Top Rank and Freddie Roach are ruining Manny Pacquiao. He may not see it until it's too late. Either that, or he really doesn't care. SMH.
Cshel86
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 27 2011, 10:44 AM) *
Maybe if he tries to leave Bob Arum, he'd be subjected to the same thing that Floyd's been subjected to. He'd be ducking this guy, afraid of that guy. Most of all, he'd probably put Manny on blast for dabbling in the sauce. Usually when people won't find themselves a way out of a bad situation, it can be because there is something hanging over their heads. I've been somene that has long been critical of Pac's decision to stay with Top Rank. People say this and that about Floyd, but at least he's smart enough to go in business for himself. He can afford to take time off from the sport becuase he has no one that he has to answer to. Manny Pacquiao is Bob Arum's lap dog. He's an obedient little pooch now isn't he? Top Rank and Freddie Roach are ruining Manny Pacquiao. He may not see it until it's too late. Either that, or he really doesn't care. SMH.

I concur! Im sure that we can agree with the fact that people will start blowing the whistle when you leave them (job, relationship, promoter, manager, etc) and that's just something that comes with the territory. No matter what Arum says about Pac if he leaves, people will still show him love because of who is as a fighter. He will still be with Freddie "The Joke Coach" Roach (I just laugh when I hear that, no pun intended) and he will still be a fighter...besides, who buys PPV to watch Arum? Nobody!

The only thing that will kill Pac's reputation is if Arum implies or blatantly says that Pac was on PEDs, that would do him harm, whether Bob is being a spiteful old fart or not. Other than that, Pac will be okay.
Cshel86
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 27 2011, 10:44 AM) *

I concur! Im sure that we can agree with the fact that people will start blowing the whistle when you leave them (job, relationship, promoter, manager, etc) and that's just something that comes with the territory. No matter what Arum says about Pac if he leaves, people will still show him love because of who is as a fighter. He will still be with Freddie "The Joke Coach" Roach (I just laugh when I hear that, no pun intended) and he will still be a fighter...besides, who buys PPV to watch Arum? Nobody!

The only thing that will kill Pac's reputation is if Arum implies or blatantly says that Pac was on PEDs, that would do him harm, whether Bob is being a spiteful old fart or not. Other than that, Pac will be okay.
JONdaCON817
WHO?!?!... Mike Jones. WHO?!?!... Mike Jones... LOL
Big Slim Sweet
This mythical match-up is nine months away at the earliest and nothing but posturing on the part of Arum. Settle down. You all take every opportunity to call Arum a liar, so why the fuck are you taking him at his word now when he says Manny's fighting Mike fucking Jones? LMFAO.

Seriously, the Pac hate coming from some of you greenhorns is worse than any Floyd hate I've run across on this board at least. Talk about something else already.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 27 2011, 10:47 PM) *
This mythical match-up is nine months away at the earliest and nothing but posturing on the part of Arum. Settle down. You all take every opportunity to call Arum a liar, so why the fuck are you taking him at his word now when he says Manny's fighting Mike fucking Jones? LMFAO.

Seriously, the Pac hate coming from some of you greenhorns is worse than any Floyd hate I've run across on this board at least. Talk about something else already.

And you're so serious and cursing because???
AussieLad
Theres not that much difference between the young lion jones facing pac, and the young lion ortiz facing mayweather. You all swallow floyds jizz for facing a young buck, but spit out pacs for doing the same thing. Only difference is Ortiz has one big win and a belt because of it. Dudes made no defences, and your not really a champ until you have defended it at least once.

Both fights are crap. Neither Ortiz or Jones should be in the ring with the 2 top p4p fighters and cash cows in the sport today
Fitz
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jun 28 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Theres not that much difference between the young lion jones facing pac, and the young lion ortiz facing mayweather. You all swallow floyds jizz for facing a young buck, but spit out pacs for doing the same thing. Only difference is Ortiz has one big win and a belt because of it. Dudes made no defences, and your not really a champ until you have defended it at least once.

Both fights are crap. Neither Ortiz or Jones should be in the ring with the 2 top p4p fighters and cash cows in the sport today

Pretty much answered your own question about what the difference is, yes one guy is a title holder and the other guy isn't. One guy has a big win against a champion, and the other guy hasn't had a decent win in his career and just a close call against a gate keeper.

But yeah, no difference.

"Same same"

Hops
Ortiz is worse because he picked himself up from a pigeon puncher. What will Mayweather do to him.
HazConvictedFelonMane
OK, straying away from the obvious for a second. All things point to a huge saga right now. There are other players involved. Supporting roles, if you will. I've recently encountered a heavy amount of people who think Mike Jones is a suitable opponent for Manny Pacquiao. We've heard the reports, we've seen the interviews, and we've heard Bob Arum drumming Mike Jones up for Pacquiao. The conflict begins when we think back, and not even a full year back. Some of these events have taken place over the past few weeks, as well as months.

November of last year, Manny Pacquiao beats the Cowboy dog shit out of Antonio Margarito in Dallas. After the fight, we get Shane Mosley in front of the camera informing the boxing world that he is in fact, in talks with Top Rank, concerning a potential fight with Pacquiao. At the post fight press event, Bob Arum states that they are looking for a 'soft touch' for Manny Pacquiao. He states that Pacquiao needs a break from fighting bigger guys. He's going to fight someone his size, like Andre Berto. Keep in mind that this is what Bob Arum is saying. He was not prompted by a media question. He threw Berto's name out there in his own. 2 weeks later, and B-Hop yabbering on about slick black fighters from the inner city.

Bob Arum claims he will let B-Hop pick Pac Man's next opponent. Arum agrees that Pacquiao's never faced an African-American before. Berto KO's Hernandez (who didn't lose a fight in 5 years, and had just KOd former World Champ Chop-Chop Corley inside of 2 rounds) in 1 round. Bob Arum's stance changed very quickly. It went from 'give the guy a break from bigger men', to 'we're going with Mosley. He makes the most business sense'. Making the statement he made about a 'soft touch' was what their intentions were anyway. Berto became someone who hadn't 'proved himself'. 'No one knew him'. 'Manny's not giving some kid a free ride to stardom'. This was all leading up to this past May. We all know what happened, and who's the next opponent for Pacquiao because the deal was close to finalized by the end of the week.

He ducked Berto and Marquez, to go with Mosley. For whatever reason, to prove whatever they said they were going to prove (we know what they said about stopping Shane), they chose to fight 40 old shot legs. With the Marquez fight on the horizon, we hear about Mike Jones. Mike Jones? Huh? M.J. Mike Jones? Who knows him? More people know him than Andre Berto? Andre Berto was at the Mayweather-Mosley weigh in with his eye on the winner. Where was Mike Jones then? Mike Jones fought Soto-Karass. That's his claim to fame. If Andre Berto is unknown and inexperienced, then Mike Jones is not even a faint blip on the radar. Let's do a quick comparison.

Andre Berto-Former WBC Welterweight Champion.
Fighters to his credit
Steve Forbes: Former World Champion
Luis Collazo: Former World Champion
Juan Urango: Former World Champion
Carlos Quintana: Former World Champion; 1st fighter to defeat Paul Williams

That's 4 fights against World Champion class fighters.

Mike Jones-Reigning NABA, WBO NABA, and WBC Continental Americas Welterweight Champion
Fighters to his credit
Jesus Soto-Karass 2X
Henry Bruseles

In 2009, when Andre Berto was reigning WORLD Champion, Mike Jones was waging his North American (local) championship against a fighter with 9 losses, and another with 15 losses. Who's more known? Who's more experienced. I'm not taking anything away from M.J. He's earned his right to fight. That's not the issue. The issue comes in when you refuse a fight with a world champion fighter because no one knows him, yet you welcome a fight with someone that virtually no one knows.

That's not going to cut it for us. Pac-Man gets past Marquez, and we get into the fight that we want. It seems Floyd's willing to fight (not that I ever had any doubt) these days. He's calling for him. Don't cheap us out and feed Pac-Man Mike Jones. Manny Pacquiao can not be placed anywhere near any P4P list if he doesn't step up to the plate. Showtime would love to broadcast Pacquiao-Jones.
HazConvictedFelonMane
Mr. Administer you be merging my topics with others. Chill wit that.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jul 1 2011, 11:51 AM) *
Mr. Administer you be merging my topics with others. Chill wit that.

No,

Topics that are directly related to each other will be merged to make it easier for the community to follow. Note however that the topics are good. But you already had a topic about Pacquiao-Mike Jones open. We don't merge too much, but believe this particular topic merger was warranted.

You make some good points regarding Pacquiao-Jones, thank you.

Jack

Administrator
mgrover
from every single one of your posts you love floyd we get it. really do. I almost believed you didn't when I didn't see a mention of Floyd. Although you do bring some good points to the table. If the Pacman wants to keep that top spot he's going to have to destroy Marquez and fight someone of a higher calibre, the only thing holding the Pacman back I would say is Arum, christ I would hope he hurries up and dies.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jun 27 2011, 09:30 AM) *

Agree 100%

I wish that the big start fighters like Pacquiao and Floyd could just leave their promoters and become free agents. If that happened, so many more boxing matches would be made that the fighters want to see, and their would not be this "keeping the fighters in-house" like Arum and Golden Boy have a fetish for doing. I realize that promoters are needed in boxing. But when you have the top fighters who have done enough without the need for promoters or sanctioning bodies or silver and diamond belts that just confuse the issue, become a free agent. That creates a better likelihood of the fights that people want to see, happening.

Jack
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 1 2011, 04:37 PM) *
No,

Topics that are directly related to each other will be merged to make it easier for the community to follow. Note however that the topics are good. But you already had a topic about Pacquiao-Mike Jones open. We don't merge too much, but believe this particular topic merger was warranted.

You make some good points regarding Pacquiao-Jones, thank you.

Jack

Administrator

In the interest of fairness, merge those other topics with the pinned topic specifically for Floyd-Ortiz. 'Will manny take the tests', 'floyd calling manny out', 'floyd looks bad', and those other topics are just closed, not merged. Whatever, I'm not gonna bitch. Thanks for noticing the good points. I just think it's gay though. Merge theirs or close mine. I can still read what they posted on the latest topics. JRockafeller must be your homeboy or something.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jul 1 2011, 11:42 AM) *
OK, straying away from the obvious for a second. All things point to a huge saga right now. There are other players involved. Supporting roles, if you will. I've recently encountered a heavy amount of people who think Mike Jones is a suitable opponent for Manny Pacquiao. We've heard the reports, we've seen the interviews, and we've heard Bob Arum drumming Mike Jones up for Pacquiao. The conflict begins when we think back, and not even a full year back. Some of these events have taken place over the past few weeks, as well as months.

November of last year, Manny Pacquiao beats the Cowboy dog shit out of Antonio Margarito in Dallas. After the fight, we get Shane Mosley in front of the camera informing the boxing world that he is in fact, in talks with Top Rank, concerning a potential fight with Pacquiao. At the post fight press event, Bob Arum states that they are looking for a 'soft touch' for Manny Pacquiao. He states that Pacquiao needs a break from fighting bigger guys. He's going to fight someone his size, like Andre Berto. Keep in mind that this is what Bob Arum is saying. He was not prompted by a media question. He threw Berto's name out there in his own. 2 weeks later, and B-Hop yabbering on about slick black fighters from the inner city.

Bob Arum claims he will let B-Hop pick Pac Man's next opponent. Arum agrees that Pacquiao's never faced an African-American before. Berto KO's Hernandez (who didn't lose a fight in 5 years, and had just KOd former World Champ Chop-Chop Corley inside of 2 rounds) in 1 round. Bob Arum's stance changed very quickly. It went from 'give the guy a break from bigger men', to 'we're going with Mosley. He makes the most business sense'. Making the statement he made about a 'soft touch' was what their intentions were anyway. Berto became someone who hadn't 'proved himself'. 'No one knew him'. 'Manny's not giving some kid a free ride to stardom'. This was all leading up to this past May. We all know what happened, and who's the next opponent for Pacquiao because the deal was close to finalized by the end of the week.

He ducked Berto and Marquez, to go with Mosley. For whatever reason, to prove whatever they said they were going to prove (we know what they said about stopping Shane), they chose to fight 40 old shot legs. With the Marquez fight on the horizon, we hear about Mike Jones. Mike Jones? Huh? M.J. Mike Jones? Who knows him? More people know him than Andre Berto? Andre Berto was at the Mayweather-Mosley weigh in with his eye on the winner. Where was Mike Jones then? Mike Jones fought Soto-Karass. That's his claim to fame. If Andre Berto is unknown and inexperienced, then Mike Jones is not even a faint blip on the radar. Let's do a quick comparison.

Andre Berto-Former WBC Welterweight Champion.
Fighters to his credit
Steve Forbes: Former World Champion
Luis Collazo: Former World Champion
Juan Urango: Former World Champion
Carlos Quintana: Former World Champion; 1st fighter to defeat Paul Williams

That's 4 fights against World Champion class fighters.

Mike Jones-Reigning NABA, WBO NABA, and WBC Continental Americas Welterweight Champion
Fighters to his credit
Jesus Soto-Karass 2X
Henry Bruseles

In 2009, when Andre Berto was reigning WORLD Champion, Mike Jones was waging his North American (local) championship against a fighter with 9 losses, and another with 15 losses. Who's more known? Who's more experienced. I'm not taking anything away from M.J. He's earned his right to fight. That's not the issue. The issue comes in when you refuse a fight with a world champion fighter because no one knows him, yet you welcome a fight with someone that virtually no one knows.

That's not going to cut it for us. Pac-Man gets past Marquez, and we get into the fight that we want. It seems Floyd's willing to fight (not that I ever had any doubt) these days. He's calling for him. Don't cheap us out and feed Pac-Man Mike Jones. Manny Pacquiao can not be placed anywhere near any P4P list if he doesn't step up to the plate. Showtime would love to broadcast Pacquiao-Jones.

Really this entire post is a waste of time until something concrete is signed. Until then it is purely supposition. Such an in-depth analysis of a fight that will probably never happen. I'm sure you wrote the same kind of in-depth post about Floyd when it was rumoured he was going to face Matthew Hatton?

No I didn't think so.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jul 1 2011, 03:59 PM) *
In the interest of fairness, merge those other topics with the pinned topic specifically for Floyd-Ortiz. 'Will manny take the tests', 'floyd calling manny out', 'floyd looks bad', and those other topics are just closed, not merged. Whatever, I'm not gonna bitch. Thanks for noticing the good points. I just think it's gay though. Merge theirs or close mine. I can still read what they posted on the latest topics. JRockafeller must be your homeboy or something.

Thanks,

A couple of things:

J Rockafeller was banned because the other day, I Pm'd him asking him to stop creating new Mayweather-Pacquiao topics on the board that have been duplicated 1000 times. I even said, "go to the archive forum, and check out the pinned up, "Mayweather-Pacquiao: the Saga Continues" with about 200 posts and pages. I said, there's many Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Mayweather-Pacquio topics open. Please reply to the topic that closest matches what you want to post about." He agreed, and the next day, it's like we never had this conversion. He comes in and and creates two new Mayweather-Pacquaio threads. "Will Pacquiao take the tests?" "Mayweather Calls out Pacquio?" Problem is, these topics have been done to death. I found more duplicate topics from him, so we had no choice but to ban him. Homeboy? More like troll.

When Floyd and Manny actually have a signed contract and are within three months of getting in the ring, we will likely move that archive pinned up thread back to the general forum. But right now, the focus is on Mayweather-Ortiz and Pacquiao's next opponent. The Haye-Klitchko fight. Our general forum reflects current trends and developments in boxing usually that are on-going, have happened within the last three weeks, or are within a month of happening.

Those other topics that were closed because they have been done to death, "Floyd looks bad", "Will Floyd take the tests" etc, have nothing to do with Mayweather-Ortiz and do to merge those topic would create too much confusion and would result in over-merging, which we don't want to do. We only merge when the topics are exactly the same, the topics are relevant to a topic discussion, and would be best served by merging.

These systems were NOT put in place to be power hungry or controlling in any way. They came about at the request of our users and staffers for a period of more than 10 years of studying community input and posting patterns, and behaviors. At FightHype, our goal is to create an atmosphere that encourages others to join our community, and provides the potential for quality forum discussions that we have maintained for over a decade.

Please feel free to PM me or other mod staff if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Jack

Administrator
HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 1 2011, 06:06 PM) *
Thanks,

A couple of things:

J Rockafeller was banned because the other day, I Pm'd him asking him to stop creating new Mayweather-Pacquiao topics on the board that have been duplicated 1000 times. I even said, "go to the archive forum, and check out the pinned up, "Mayweather-Pacquiao: the Saga Continues" with about 200 posts and pages. I said, there's many Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Mayweather-Pacquio topics open. Please reply to the topic that closest matches what you want to post about." He agreed, and the next day, it's like we never had this conversion. He comes in and and creates two new Mayweather-Pacquaio threads. "Will Pacquiao take the tests?" "Mayweather Calls out Pacquio?" Problem is, these topics have been done to death. I found more duplicate topics from him, so we had no choice but to ban him. Homeboy? More like troll.

When Floyd and Manny actually have a signed contract and are within three months of getting in the ring, we will likely move that archive pinned up thread back to the general forum. But right now, the focus is on Mayweather-Ortiz and Pacquiao's next opponent. The Haye-Klitchko fight. Our general forum reflects current trends and developments in boxing usually that are on-going, have happened within the last three weeks, or are within a month of happening.

Those other topics that were closed because they have been done to death, "Floyd looks bad", "Will Floyd take the tests" etc, have nothing to do with Mayweather-Ortiz and do to merge those topic would create too much confusion and would result in over-merging, which we don't want to do. We only merge when the topics are exactly the same, the topics are relevant to a topic discussion, and would be best served by merging.

These systems were NOT put in place to be power hungry or controlling in any way. They came about at the request of our users and staffers for a period of more than 10 years of studying community input and posting patterns, and behaviors. At FightHype, our goal is to create an atmosphere that encourages others to join our community, and provides the potential for quality forum discussions that we have maintained for over a decade.

Please feel free to PM me or other mod staff if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Jack

Administrator

Oh Man, it's all good. It's no biggie. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It's cool man, you guys are great. Keep up the good work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.