Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2011 ESPY Fighter of the Year.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JONdaCON817
Juss curious to see who you guys would picc? ide imagine that one of the MMA guys are gonna win just because of the large following in the MMA World recently... Here the Description associated with each Fighter.

Bernard Hopkins- Became oldest boxer to win a major title at 46 years, 4 months and 6 days old.

Hopkins beat 28-year-old Jean Pascal to win the Ring Magazine/WBC Light Heavyweight title for the second time.

Jon Jones- Became the youngest UFC champion by beating Mauricio "Shogun" Rua for the Light Heavyweight championship.

The 23-year-old had only six weeks to prepare for the fight vs. Rua.

Sergio Martinez- Retained his middleweight title with a second-round knockout of Paul Williams.

Followed the Williams fight with a victory over Sergei Dzinziruk.

Manny Pacquiao- Scored a unanimous decision victory against Antonio Margarito to win the WBC's 154-pound title, becoming boxing's first eight-division champion.

Also scored a unanimous decision over Shane Mosley in May 2011.

George St. Pierrre- UFC welterweight champion defeated Jake Shields and Jake Koscheck in title defenses.

Has defended his welterweight title six straight times.

caneman
I picked BHop but ain't mad @ the Maravilla pick! lol
gravytrain
Hopkins or Martinez. i would go with Hopkins personally.
D-MARV
It's Hopkins... And it's not close.
BoxingWizard23
Martinez. Hopkins will get it if he beats Dawson this year in October. Martinez will not have enough time to face a legit fighter because he's already signed up to fight some undefeated unknow british boxer. I personally think he should fight Pirog, Pirog is a bit more known than that guy he's gonna face. Heck, could have fought Vanes. But because of Blob Arum some certain boxers are looked at as fearful of Maravilla because he still wants to be greedy and keep shit in house. If Blob Arum wasn't here, Maravilla would have wiped out the 154 divsion. He would have beaten Jr., Alvarez, Cotto, Vanes and even Pirog. Sad to say I think his biggest fight won't come till next year with Mayweather. Martinez KO'd a man with one of the strongest chins in boxing and who was ducked by alot of fighters and became the first to do that. Martinez went onto to beat a top 10 guy in his division who was undefeated, never been dropped, has good defense, know to make fighters look bad, and has a sharp jab. Martinez took him apart. Hopkins just a beat a guy who has the tools but don't know how to use them even though no disrespect it is an extreme accomplishment for Mr.Hopkins for being the oldest champion in any sports history but Pascal was by far the 2nd weakest champ in that division. Dawson wanted to box instead of going for the kill against Pascal trying to be like Floyd and it cost him his 0. Honestly, it's a toss up both Maravilla and Executioner put on fabulous performances and achievements during this year. Let's see how this year plays out.
HazConvictedFelonMane
All I have to say: 'are you willing to take the test'? LMAO. That was the funniest scene in a press conference so far in 2011. Hands down, I'd have to say B-Hop. I see that Martinez and Hopkins are tied on the poll. Only 7 people voted. I didn't vote because I don't feel any of them deserve it. I think Victor Ortiz deserves it, and he's not up there.
caneman
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jun 26 2011, 06:28 PM) *
All I have to say: 'are you willing to take the test'? LMAO. That was the funniest scene in a press conference so far in 2011. Hands down, I'd have to say B-Hop. I see that Martinez and Hopkins are tied on the poll. Only 7 people voted. I didn't vote because I don't feel any of them deserve it. I think Victor Ortiz deserves it, and he's not up there.

SHOCKED YOU DIDN'T SAY FLOYD!!! SUP AIN'STA?
JONdaCON817
Yea I voted Maravilla but I seriously stared at Bhop for like 20 mins! LOL.

I also think GSP has a good chance of taking it but i can't vote against a boxer... LOL
gravytrain
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 26 2011, 07:48 PM) *
Yea I voted Maravilla but I seriously stared at Bhop for like 20 mins! LOL.

I also think GSP has a good chance of taking it but i can't vote against a boxer... LOL

how does the voting work? if fans are voting i think Pac will take it. if it's a panel deciding on it i think Hopkins will win hands down.
SmartyBeardo
So what year are we actually talking about since we are only half way through 2011?
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 26 2011, 03:17 PM) *

LOL... Deff between those 2!... No one else is close imo.

But again I think the mma ppl will give GSP the win.

Where's the lone Pac Voter? Lmao
caneman
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 26 2011, 06:53 PM) *
LOL... Deff between those 2!... No one else is close imo.

But again I think the mma ppl will give GSP the win.

Where's the lone Pac Voter? Lmao

Honestly from what I seen, some that picked BHop didn't actually vote! Not a clue on the Pac vote but around here if PBF was on the list he would win hands down without even fighting! LMAO
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 27 2011, 12:57 AM) *
Honestly from what I seen, some that picked BHop didn't actually vote! Not a clue on the Pac vote but around here if PBF was on the list he would win hands down without even fighting! LMAO

Didnt he run through most of the 147 division over the last 5 years that way?

Anyway I voted for BHOP, but id say its close between him and Sergio, no one else is close to those two I reckon
caneman
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 26 2011, 07:01 PM) *
Didnt he run through most of the 147 division over the last 5 years that way?

IN THOSE 2 FIGHTS IN 4 1/2 YEARS? YEA!
D-MARV
People are seriously underestimating what B-Hop has accomplished! He is doing something that is unheard of... He has become a Sport's Icon!

iKeNjiro
QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 27 2011, 05:17 AM) *

Agreed with this down to the period
I personally didn't think Pascal was anyone to brag about, but given Hopkins age an Pascals size an strength made me choose Bhop.
I think Martinez cold ass K.O of Williams (eyes open an all) should be in top....new thread coming soon! Lol
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 26 2011, 07:06 PM) *
People are seriously underestimating what B-Hop has accomplished! He is doing something that is unheard of... He has become a Sport's Icon!

This is true..

Maybe they felt Pascal was too easy a win?
D-MARV
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 26 2011, 08:18 PM) *
This is true..

Maybe they felt Pascal was too easy a win?

Pascal was a better opponent then Dzinziruk and Mosley.
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 26 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Pascal was a better opponent then Dzinziruk and Mosley.

At 46 it is amazing in it's own right IMO!
SmartyBeardo
I just didn't want to give it to BHop if the year included that RJJ circus.
BoxingWizard23
I don't give a fuck. Hopkins will win it if he beats Dawson this October. Styles make fights and Dawsons style has the upper hand against B-Hop. But never count B-hop out we should've all known by now or before. but....MARAVILLA ALL DAY EVERYDAY!! He needs to clean up his english so he can become a bigger brand and star.
SmartyBeardo
Would the Dawson fight count toward the ESPYs?

If BHop can defeat Dawson words could not do it justice.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 26 2011, 09:50 PM) *

If BHop can defeat Dawson it words could not do it justice.

I believe so it should. This man beat a younger, faster and stronger fighter back to back in his hometown crowd, become the oldest champion ever, then go onto to beat a former top p4p fighter, who just came off a win off a decent fighter, who is stronger, faster, taller, has Steward in his corner, and can box? your ESPY fighter years award goes too.....Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins...NO DEBATE
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jun 27 2011, 10:54 AM) *
I believe so it should. This man beat a younger, faster and stronger fighter back to back in his hometown crowd, become the oldest champion ever, then go onto to beat a former top p4p fighter, who just came off a win off a decent fighter, who is stronger, faster, taller, has Steward in his corner, and can box? your ESPY fighter years award goes too.....Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins...NO DEBATE

Which is what I've been saying
all due respect, what Hopkins has done is great...but seriously people over Pascal? that guy is just not a good fighter to me, and was coming back after a shoulder injury
But don't get confused I voted for Bhop because, even though Pascal is not that great of a fighter to ME, he was still younger, stronger and faster then Bhop and Bhop wooped his ass lol.
If he can pull that off against Dawson...Holy Shit, he moves up on my ATG list
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jun 27 2011, 07:24 AM) *
Which is what I've been saying
all due respect, what Hopkins has done is great...but seriously people over Pascal? that guy is just not a good fighter to me, and was coming back after a shoulder injury
But don't get confused I voted for Bhop because, even though Pascal is not that great of a fighter to ME, he was still younger, stronger and faster then Bhop and Bhop wooped his ass lol.
If he can pull that off against Dawson...Holy Shit, he moves up on my ATG list

Well I'll tell you what, Dawson is no Pascal yes he makes mistakes but not as much as Pascal and he has Steward in his corner, he will chew down Chad if he see's the opportunity to launch bombs against Hopkins and put him out. Dawsons style is all wrong for Hopkins but we'll see thats what makes this fight interesting,Chad lost to Pascal and Hopkins just beat him twice but Dawson was close to stopping Pascal so we'll see. It will be another great night in boxing because the undercard will steal the show with Pascal vs Cloud with Cloud winning by TKO or KO 9th.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jun 26 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Man, thatd be ORGASMIC.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 26 2011, 08:50 PM) *

If BHop can defeat Dawson words could not do it justice.

The Espys are July 13th.. so i dnt think so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.