Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are the top 5 Boxing robberies? Your top 5 picks
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingWizard23
My picks are.

1.Oscar DelaHoya vs Felix Sturm

2.Sergio Martinez vs Kermit Cintron

3.Majority of Glen Johnsons losses (exception to Hopkins, Froch, Dawson rematch, and possibly Cloud)

4.Lennox Lewis vs Evander Holyfield

5.Chavez vs Whitaker

Honourable mentions:

Holyfield vs Valuev

Hagler vs Antuofermo I

Toney vs Tiberi

JMM vs Pacquiao II

Delahoya vs Trinidad
SmartyBeardo
Sweet Pea v JCC

The Hitman v SRL II

Holmes v Spinks II

Felix Sturm v ODLH

BHop v Pascal I
Romulus9
To respond to the others:

I had:

Sturm over de la Hoya 115-113
Lewis over Holyfield 117-111
Holyfield over Valuev 118-110
Tiberi over Toney 116-111
Pacquiao over Marquez 114-113
de la Hoya over Trinidad 116-112
Pascal/Hopkins I 113-113

My list:

Foreman-Briggs. 118-110 Foreman. Still the worst robbery I've ever witnessed.

Hearns-Leonard II. 116-109 Hearns. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Whitaker-Chavez. 117-111 Whitaker. The first Ramirez fight was a wider margin but this fight was MUCH BIGGER.

Burton-Augustus I. 98-91 Augustus. Teddy Atlas went crazy... and so did I.

Tapia-Ayala II. 117-111 Tapia. I thought Johnny won the first one but THIS was horrible.

Dishonorable mention: Louis-Walcott I, Duran-Camacho I (116-112 Duran), Mayweather-Castillo I (115-111 Castillo), Ray Mercer-Marion Wilson (98-92 Wilson)
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Emanuel Augustus-Courtney Burton...Teddy freaked out on the commission after this one, after Augustus won every round, but lost the decision.

Lewis-Holyfield 1: That was pretty horrible.

Chavez-Whitaker

Foreman-Briggs

Roy Jones getting robbed in the olympics back in 88.

Those are five I could think of...Sadly, there are a lot more out there.
Big Slim Sweet
I always felt Foreman-Briggs was fixed. I think Big George knew it too.

Great call on Augustus-Burton. There are bad decisions, there are robberies, and then there was that. Easily the most blatant corruption I've ever witnessed in professional sports. The fact that it happened on TV like that was incredible. Weren't the scores all like 119-109 or something? Robbery in broad daylight. Fuck you very much for coming.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
One of the scores was 99-90 Burton I believe. I mean Augustus clearly won almost every round of that fight. Another judge had it 97-92 for Burton as well. That fight was straight corruption, because Augustus literally lost a point for spinning out of a clinch. If there was ever a fight that was fixed, that's the one.
STEVENSKI
The single worst fix I have seen was Fenech vs Nelson I. Even if you were looking to score it for Nelson you could not give him more than 3 or 4 rounds at absolute best.

The worst part is that it robbed Fenech of the distinction of being (at the time) the only & first 4 weight undefeated champion in history. It also destroyed Fenech as a fighter from a emotional standpoint. He could not have put more of a clinic on Nelson & he still got robbed by the Kings.

Romulus9
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 26 2011, 11:44 PM) *
The single worst fix I have seen was Fenech vs Nelson I. Even if you were looking to score it for Nelson you could not give him more than 3 or 4 rounds at absolute best.

The worst part is that it robbed Fenech of the distinction of being (at the time) the only & first 4 weight undefeated champion in history. It also destroyed Fenech as a fighter from a emotional standpoint. He could not have put more of a clinic on Nelson & he still got robbed by the Kings.

It did a number on Fenech for sure, but whatever was left was destroyed for good in the rematch.

I thought the scoring was a little off in that third fight too... but it really doesn't matter because I still can't believe that fight happened anyway, and pretty much everyone knew that Fenech was winning that fight if it went to the cards.

Still... WHY?

I digress.

Jeff was fun to watch in his heyday. Underrated to some degree too.
Jack 1000
In no particular order, but here is my list.

1.) Rameriz-Whitaker I: Far worse than Chavez-Whitaker.

2.) Toney-Tiberi: Example of why journeymen can't get a break.

3.) Burton-Augustus: Probably the biggest robbery for a little cable fight you will ever see.

4.) Foreman-Schultz: Schultz won 8 rounds clearly, but somehow lost the majority decision.

5. Carr-Bramble: OMG, this was worse than Burton-Augustus! Car was dropped twice in round 1, Bramble was hurt throughout the fight. Carr actually hurt Bramble badly I think it was in round 5. The only rounds that you could POSSIBLY give to Carr were round 2 and obviously round 5. Guess who got the decision in Carr's hometown. One local judge gave it to Bramble like 99-90. Somehow, the others had it 97-93 for Carr! And I think like 95-94 for Carr! One writer wrote, "This verdict was so bad, it's lucky that the two judges who voted for Carr, don't wind up on wanted posters."

6.) Joel Cassamayor-Santa-Cruz: Santa Cruz won all but maybe two or three rounds, and some home Cassmayor got a split decision with all three judges having the fight very close. As a bonus, here is a write-up about that fight:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2007...549998438_x.htm

7.) Joel-Cassamayor-Kid Diamond: I seem to recall this was pretty bad too. I think Cassmayor's corner shockingly thought he won, and HBO had it 116-111 for Kid Diamond, but the fight was ruled a draw. Memory is hazy on this fight.

8.) Nelson-Fenech I: Nelson gets the shit beaten out of him in an easy 117-111 to a 116-112 type of verdict for Fenech. Shockingly, the judges had it a draw. One judge Miguel Donate from Puerto Rico had it 116-112 for Azumah!!!! Interestingly, Nelson beat the crap out of Fenech in the rematch, where Jeff had maybe only won two rounds or so, and Fenech was knocked down several times. In another shocker, two judges had the fight even at the stoppage. The third judge, the highly respected Harry Gibbs of England had Nelson comfortably ahead as did the rest of the world. The rematch was at Princess Park Stadium in Fenech's native Australia. Before the fight there were rumors that Jeff and/or his people had made threats to the judges if they did not score the rematch fairly.

9.) Holyfield-Lewis I: Any easy 116-112 victory for Lewis on my card, is ruled a draw. Jean Williams, 115-113 Holyfield card and her giving the 5th round to Holyfield in which Lewis came close to knocking him out in that round, one of the worst judging injustices in the history of boxing, if not the worst!

10: Ottke-Reid: A close fight, but made close by the referee Roger Tillerman doing anything and everything to favor Ottke in the fight. These instances were about as close to corruption as you could get Point deductions against Robin for nothing, and not calling an obvious knockdown scored by Reid, gave the verdict to Ottke. Ottke was the benefactor of many close Split Decisions in Germany, that several people believed should have gone the other way.

Some bad decisions. Notice the distinction that in examples 3, 5, and 10. Home venues were involved with these controversial verdicts.

Jack

PS. Had to do 10. Could not think of only 5!
Sunmanken
Ali vs Norton comes to mind instantly.
Fitz
Don't know about an order, but the ones that stick out for me:

• Fenech-Nelson
  • Whitaker-Ramirez
  • Whitaker-Chavez
  • DLH-Trinidad
  • Toney-Tiberi
  • DLH-Mosley II
  • DLH-Sturm
MoneyMay
Oquendo vs Chris Byrd -Oquendo clearly won
Dlh vs Mosley 2
Hopkins vs Taylor
Quartey vs Forrest
scallum
Oscar vs Trinidad n Brings vs Foreman or my biggest 2
HaydelHammer
DLH vs Whitaker.

blackbelt2003
Good call, Jack, on Ottke-Reid. I couldn't believe the refereeing on that one, as well as the decision.

Another absolute blatant robbery was Freddie Norwood losing to Smoke Gainer. Norwood landed a low blow, and whilst the ref is stopping the fight to reprimand Norwood, Gainer just ignores the ref and smacks him low back. Norwood collapses...and you'd expect the ref to admonish Gainer....but no. He starts counting over Norwood. And he doesn't stop at 10. He keeps counting...11...12...13...wtf?

Finally he gets to about 18, and as Norwood staggers to his feet in obvious pain, the ref waves it off.

If that isn't fucked up refereeing, I don't know what is. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuWx0oR7J4

Norwood was dirty all the way through...but to lose by KO in this way? Maaaaaaaaan.

Black
Fitz
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 30 2011, 01:15 AM) *
Good call, Jack, on Ottke-Reid. I couldn't believe the refereeing on that one, as well as the decision.

Another absolute blatant robbery was Freddie Norwood losing to Smoke Gainer. Norwood landed a low blow, and whilst the ref is stopping the fight to reprimand Norwood, Gainer just ignores the ref and smacks him low back. Norwood collapses...and you'd expect the ref to admonish Gainer....but no. He starts counting over Norwood. And he doesn't stop at 10. He keeps counting...11...12...13...wtf?

Finally he gets to about 18, and as Norwood staggers to his feet in obvious pain, the ref waves it off.

If that isn't fucked up refereeing, I don't know what is. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuWx0oR7J4

Norwood was dirty all the way through...but to lose by KO in this way? Maaaaaaaaan.

Black

I didn't understand the refereeing, but I was happy to see Norwood get robbed like that.
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
Most recent robbery- Alexander vs Matthysse
Jack 1000
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jun 29 2011, 10:15 AM) *

Black

Oh yea!

Freddie "Norewood" vs. Derrick "Smoke and Mirrors" Gainer! LOL! One of the dirtiest fights in a long time. The ref Paul Sita made up his own rules in that fight! To be fair, Sita was tragically battling cancer at the time, or so I read, and that might have explained his bad calls in the ring.

Jack
mgrover
Hopkins v Calzaghe. Just look at the end of the fight before the scores are revealed and tell me who is the defeated man and who is the man who knows he's got it in the bag
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 30 2011, 04:14 PM) *
Hopkins v Calzaghe. Just look at the end of the fight before the scores are revealed and tell me who is the defeated man and who is the man who knows he's got it in the bag

That was a close fight for me. I would accept a draw to a two point win for either fighter. I had Hopkins by one point. Hopkins through harder stronger shots, but Calzaghe threw more, but less effective punches. Punch stat was off on that night. Many of Joe's shots were caught on the elbows and arms of Hopkins. But for some, Joe's work-rate gave him the win. Just not by the margin that HBO had.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (MoneyMay @ Jun 28 2011, 07:54 AM) *
Oquendo vs Chris Byrd -Oquendo clearly won
Dlh vs Mosley 2
Hopkins vs Taylor
Quartey vs Forrest

Good calls on all except Hopkins-Taylor II. I actually had Taylor up 115-113 in both fights. But Jermain was getting tired. I think if they would still have 15 round fights, Hopkins would have taken the decision.

Jack
jlupi
even though it was a stoppage Ill throw in
JCC>Taylor
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 1 2011, 12:31 AM) *
That was a close fight for me. I would accept a draw to a two point win for either fighter. I had Hopkins by one point. Hopkins through harder stronger shots, but Calzaghe threw more, but less effective punches. Punch stat was off on that night. Many of Joe's shots were caught on the elbows and arms of Hopkins. But for some, Joe's work-rate gave him the win. Just not by the margin that HBO had.

Jack

I thought both men looked like abolsute shit in there. Hopkins' worst ever performance, and even though it was one of Calzaghe's best wins, he looked like shit, too.

Not a fight I would be proud of for either man.

Black
neophyte7
1. JOE LOUIS VS JERSEY JOE WALCOTT I--- JOE LOUIS A GOT his ass kicked like an empty pepsi can in a ghetto back alley... his ass was so embarassed he ran out of the ring...

This was so great of robbery no need to name four more
gravytrain
Louis won that fight on his name alone. that really was some bad scoring
neophyte7
He was dominated and sent to the canvas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.