Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Cutman and Trainer In Boxing?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
I would say Garcia and Stewart (honorable mentions: R. Mayweather, Buddy McGrit, and Goosen).
thehype
Best Cutman = Jacob "Stitch" Duran

Hands down Stitch is the best. No comparison whatsoever.

Best Trainer = Depends

Honestly, as far as trainers go, it really depends on the type of personality the fighter has. Not all trainers are going to be a good match for all fighters. Training styles are different, just like personalities are different, so if those two things don't gel, then that particular trainer is going to be a bad fit.

Now, if I had to pick who the best trainer was in a generic sense, I would say Brother Naazim Richardson because he has the right knowledge, the best manner of teaching, the ability to come up with a great game plan, and simply put, he knows how to speak with and get along with just about EVERYONE. So in that sense, I would say overall, Richardson might be the best.

HOWEVER, as far as boxing knowledge is concerned, meaning the fine details of how to perfect technical skills, I would actually go with Floyd Mayweather Sr. That being said, Mayweather Sr. is a no-nonsense type of trainer, so he's going to be a lot more difficult to get along with for some fighters (i.e. Chad Dawson).

Robert Garcia is a good trainer too, but technically speaking, I don't think he has the most knowledge. He definitely knows how to maximize the potential of his fighters though.

Now when you say Stewart, I assume you mean Emanuel Steward. Contrary to popular belief, I actually think he's FAR from one of the best trainers. He might be somewhere in the middle. Steward is a good strategist, particularly when he's working with TALL fighters, but outside of that, he's nothing special. Truth be told, he doesn't even do all of the training of his fighters. He has other guys do the majority of training for him...guys like Jame Ali Bashir....and then Steward will come in at the end and kind of put the finishing touches on everything.

Roger Mayweather, Buddy McGirt and Joe Goossen, there's nothing really special or that great about them either. They all just happened to attach themselves to fighters that were already well-known. Roger obviously has Floyd, but he doesn't do anything other than hold pads. Buddy had Gatti and Tarver, but he really didn't do much with either one...I mean, I guess you can say he made a difference in "changing" Gatti's style, but it's not like Gatti was really testing Buddy's training skills against top fighters. And Goossen, he had Corrales and Casamayor for a short period of time, but both were already established with their skills. Goossen, like Richardson, knows how to speak to fighters and get in their head, but outside of that, I don't think he brings much to the table.

I'm actually surprised you didn't mention Freddie Roach. I DEFINITELY think he deserves to be up there in the top 5 somewhere. I'd say maybe #3. What I like about Freddie is that he sticks to the basics as far as technique and game plans. Nothing fancy; just the basics. He is lacking on the defensive side just a bit, but still, Freddie's got that ol' school knowledge, which in my opinion is invaluable.

I'd also like to throw an honorable mention out there for Teddy Atlas, who I would also say is one of my Top 5. Even though he doesn't really train much, his knowledge of the sport and techhnique is invaluable.

As for when did Floyd leave Bob Arum, I believe it was in early 2006. Either in March or very early April, I think that's when he bought out the remainder of his contract. The Zab Judah fight was his last fight under the Top Rank banner.
Romulus9
Stitch is the best cutman. End of discussion.

Buddy McGirt got plenty of hype after Tarver knocked Roy Jones out. There's not been a lot to get excited about since then. Once he told Gatti to try to box Mayweather, he banished himself from being ranked amongst a list of top trainers.

Ben mentioned most of the guys that came to mind for me, although I really don't see much usefulness in Roger Mayweather. I'd have trouble getting much out of a trainer who's so mushmouthed in the corner that the other words you can understand are the obscenities.

As far as the above average guys, I'll toss in Jesse Reid too, who was more prolific about a decade ago. Always been a fan of both Reid and Pat Burns. There are a few guys like that who just don't do as much as they used to, which tends to happen with age. Guys like Kevin Rooney, Don Turner, and Tommy Brooks. Those were some very solid trainers.

I'm a fan of what Pernell Whitaker has done with Zab Judah. If they can get the win over Khan in a few weeks, Pernell's stock as a trainer is going to see a nice boost.

While he's not in that top 4 or 5 in the sport, I think Roger Bloodworth has been steady over the years. Nothing special, per se, but he's always done good work with the guys in the Main Events stable (such as Adamek, at the moment).

Sometimes you need to see a really bad trainer to truly appreciate that good ones. Watch the circus in the corner during Tyson-Douglas with Jay Bright and Aaron Snowell, and suddenly those "average" trainers are hall of famers. laugh.gif
True-Boxing-Fan
Like everyone has stated so far I'll go with Stitch Duran as the best cutman. He's like having a real doctor stitching you up in between rounds.

As far as trainers goes, like Hype stated too it just depends. There are many trainers that do great things with different styles, so it just depends what you are looking for skillwise.

BTW why is there a mayweather question thrown in. What does mayweather leaving arum have anything to do with wanted to know the best trainers and cutman. Like SmartyBeardo says some people just can't take Floyds manhood out there....ahhh never mind.
Sunni6Killer
Miguel Diaz.
Gabriel Sarmiento.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jun 29 2011, 06:03 PM) *
Like everyone has stated so far I'll go with Stitch Duran as the best cutman. He's like having a real doctor stitching you up in between rounds.

As far as trainers goes, like Hype stated too it just depends. There are many trainers that do great things with different styles, so it just depends what you are looking for skillwise.

BTW why is there a mayweather question thrown in. What does mayweather leaving arum have anything to do with wanted to know the best trainers and cutman. Like SmartyBeardo says some people just can't take Floyds manhood out there....ahhh never mind.

+1. I am editing the thread to remove the Mayweather part of the thread. Posters please stick to one topic when you make your threads. This thread should be about the Best Cutman and Trainer in boxing only.

Jack

Administrator
JONdaCON817
Ya deff Stitch.. Hes in the corner for must of the best fighters and fighters usually take him EVERYWHERE.. some will even refuse to fight without him...

as far as trainer, i concur with which ever stylistically the fighter prefers or best fits their needs.. or Mr. Miyagi. lol
kidbazooka1
Im suprsied no one mentioned Nacho Berinstein veyr few trainers have brought fighters up from the begining of there careers nacho is one of them he's had countless HOFer's and was with Ricardo LOpez and JMM fro mthe very beging two all time greats.
Allmenjoi8
Mayweather really has nothing to do with this thread I was just curious when he left Arum, no need to start a new topic just to ask a question so I just tied it in with my original question, im not riding his coat tails I was just curious.

Hype, I was going to mention Freddie Roach but my boss came into my office so I had to hurry up and finish. I like Teddy A. but he is a bit of an asshole so... I like Goosen, I do not know why, maybe its the outfits he wears to the ring. I felt Emmanuel Stewarst is a good trainer, what he did for Lenox (my favorite heavy weight of all time) has to be notice. I like Naseem, Philly trainers seem to be grounded in boxing knowledge,

Floyd Senior I remember him with Oscar and Hatton maybe they could not execute his game plan... thanks for commenting
STEVENSKI
I canot believe that Mayweather Snr is being mentioned as a great trainer. Who has he trained to greatness bar his son who is naturally gifted?

DLH? What great victories was he a part of with DLH?
Guzman? What did he do for him?
Dawson? He is no world beater anyway?
Hatton? In his worst ever performance so Mayweather can take credit for that I suppose.

What is so great about Mayweather Snr? Yes he has a great knowledge of boxing but he seems to have a inability to impart his "wisdom" on his charges for any real success.

Enzo Calzaghe is a better bloody choice at least his charge never lost in the ring.
and the NEW
LOL, agree STEVENSKI, Mayweather Sr is horrible, as bad as they come!

I would vote for Freddie Roach. Kidbazooka also has a good point on Nacho.

Is Lou Duva still around? That guy was as tough as they come on his fighters, but fukc me, he could train guys if they were prepared to take his sh*t!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.