Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams talks retirement
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.boxingscene.com/paul-williams-p...tirement--40897

A rangy southpaw who stands at nearly 6-foot-3, Paul Williams has fought at welterweight, junior middleweight and middleweight, earning the nickname "The Punisher" for his reputation as a hard-slugging, high-volume puncher with a seemingly endless energy reserve who is willing to take on all comers.

"I don't know how many champions and ex-champions Paul Williams has fought, but it doesn't matter," said Williams' trainer, George Peterson. "This is a guy who has been fighting everybody that nobody else has wanted to fight. Paul Williams wants the top guys."

But as he eyes retirement, the 29-year-old Williams (39-2, 27 knockouts) said that he wants more fights although he does not feel as if he has much more to prove in the sport.

"When I retire, in about two years, they're going to say, 'He never ducked nobody,'" said Williams. "After two more fights, if HBO wants to do it and the fans want it, I'm up for it. But after three more fights -- though my trainer says two more -- I want to be done with boxing."

As a middleweight, Williams has split bouts opposite southpaw Argentinian former Sergio Martinez (47-2-2, 27 KOs), defeating Martinez by majority decision prior to Martinez's scoring a unanimous decision that dethroned then-WBC and WBO middleweight king, Kelly Pavlik.

In April of 2009, Williams also scored a one-sided decision over former junior middleweight world champion, Winky Wright, this, also while they were fighting as middleweights.

In July, 2007, at a time when he was considered the most feared welterweight, two-time world champion Antonio Margarito fought Williams, whose welterweight unanimous decision dethroned Margarito as WBO welterweight king.

Margarito had already knocked out Martinez in their welterweight match up in February of 2000, and, also also owns an 11th-round stoppage win over current WBA junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto.

Other big wins for Williams include knockouts of former world champs Sharmba Mitchell, and, Verno Phillips.

The one over Mitchell was in the fourth round in Aug. of 2006 while campaigning as a welterweight.

In November, 2008, Williams scored the eighth-round knockout Phillips for the WBO junior middleweight belt.

Phillips was coming off of a victory that dethroned Cory Spinks as IBF junior middleweight champ.

Although Williams suffered his lone defeat against southpaw, Carlos Quintana, in February, 2008, Williams regained his WBO championship, four months later, by stopping Quintana with 15 seconds left in the first round.

Williams has, nevertheless, faced questions concerning his vulnerability entering his July 9 clash of southpaws against undefeated Cuban native Erislandy Lara (15-0-1, 10KOs) at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, his first fight since November's second-round knockout loss in the rematch with Martinez.

"Paul has a win over everybody that he's fought. So Paul's gotten stopped in his last fight, and the media has nailed this guy to the cross. I'm going to say that the media has done it. So he can't wait, I can't wait until this is resolved," said Peterson of Williams, who relishes a third bout with Martinez.

"You know, every true champion gets to a point where they want to show their greatness. Paul has achieved everything that he can in boxing," said Peterson. "But this loss that happened gives him the opportunity to show his greatness. Paul Williams will be back on July 9."

The fact that Williams-Lara is returning to Boardwalk Hall has added some motivation for Williams, said his promoter, Dan Goossen.

"Look, Paul Williams has got some terrific fans in Atlantic City, so what better place than to go out there and to perform again. We all have our obstacles that we have to overcome," said Goossen.

"This is just another one, and this is what makes great champions," said Goossen. "And Paul Williams is a former three-time world champion. And I guarantee you that he'll be a four-time world champion quicker than you can snap your fingers."

Williams agreed.

"I've got a lot of love for Atlantic City, so I want to give my people that back. It doesn't matter where it was, it just so happened that it was Atlantic City," said Williams.

"But I don't care where it's at. But as long as it's back in Atlantic City, I feel good about it," said Williams. "They never give me the gimme fights. People say that I remind them of a throwback fighter, so that's what my legacy is going to be."
thehype
Is anyone surprised?

dntknw.gif
TheFonz
I think he has a lot of fights left in him.
TheFonz
QUOTE (thehype @ Jul 1 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Is anyone surprised?

dntknw.gif

A little
neophyte7
The guy stinks ... good bye
JONdaCON817
Ide never wanna show my face too if i got KTFO like that... facedown, eyes open. smh... Martinez literally knocced the fight out this niqka.... dayum.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 1 2011, 01:22 PM) *

Wow are you serious?? Whats with the hate for Paul Williams? The guy is an exciting fighter who aint afraid to get in there and mix it up with anyone. So he gets KO'd by the middleweight champion and fighter of the year and the guy stinks? Remember he also beat the guy just before that. I know it was close, but still. Paul may not use his physical tools to the max, but the guy is great for boxing win,lose or draw.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 1 2011, 11:22 AM) *

So do your post, they stink too... Goodbye

Paul Williams is a good fighter. He gives us exciting fights everytime out. He was good ability and his activity rate is unbelievable. You have given the fans lots to be happy about win or lose and you never ducked anyone.He just needs to get back in there and do his thing. Just because you got knocked out in your last fight doesn't mean you can't do good things still. I hope you knock out Lara, i think thats going to be a great fight. I think you have lots left, i dont want to see you go after a couple more fights.
BoxingFan86
I've always thought this guy was over-rated, anyway.
gravytrain
i'm kind of surprise by it but honestly there's not much for him to do. he's not going to get meaningful fights at 147 or 154 and he'll get his tore up if he goes to 160.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 2 2011, 11:33 PM) *
i'm kind of surprise by it but honestly there's not much for him to do. he's not going to get meaningful fights at 147 or 154 and he'll get his tore up if he goes to 160.

Paul Williams has had what must be one of the strangest careers in modern boxing. There were so man things that should've/could've happened that didn't. Still plenty of great action fights and wins over name opponents yet he still really couldn't sell out his own living room.

And now possibly an early retirement. Perhaps if he had a little more knockout power things would be different.
STEVENSKI
Not a big fan of Williams but shit I can't hate on the guy he fought anyone who stepped to the line & always gave 100%. Guys like that are good for boxing.

That said making statements like this

"When I retire, in about two years, they're going to say, 'He never ducked nobody,'" said Williams. "After two more fights, if HBO wants to do it and the fans want it, I'm up for it. But after three more fights -- though my trainer says two more -- I want to be done with boxing."

So he wants to have 2-3 more fights in 2 years. that is one thing that os wrong with boxing. Guys like Williams should be fighting at least 3 times a year.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 3 2011, 12:25 AM) *
Not a big fan of Williams but shit I can't hate on the guy he fought anyone who stepped to the line & always gave 100%. Guys like that are good for boxing.

That said making statements like this

So he wants to have 2-3 more fights in 2 years. that is one thing that os wrong with boxing. Guys like Williams should be fighting at least 3 times a year.

it sounds like they just want some more money then call it quits. he can stay away from anyone too dangerous in 3 fights over 2 years.
dhoward126
I don't like this fight for Williams, it just seems that they are marketing it at face value as "THE RETURN OF PAUL WILLIAMS" but I think this is GBP's way of telling HBO that Lara is ready for the big fights and is going to prove it on the big stage. Williams wins, it is what he was supposed to do and if Lara wins, we have a sensational new star on the HBO ranks. Win-Win for the network. Pdub's original choice of opponent was Nobuhiro Ishida who is a rudimentary fighter and can't punch, Lara is coming off a debatable draw against Carlos Molina (who was jobbed imo) but he's stylistically all wrong for Williams who has spent his whole career fighting TO THE LEVEL of his opposition and not using his natural gifts like height and reach to beat them.

Another reason I don't like this for Pdub? Lara more or less has come out saying he had a bad night and gave Molina credit, that fight was not too long ago. Williams and his entire team still insists that Sergio Martinez got lucky and won't tell anybody otherwise. Mentally I'd give Lara the edge here, especially with Williams saying that he's *this* close to retiring. Another upset is on the way.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Jul 3 2011, 03:36 PM) *
Williams and his entire team still insists that Sergio Martinez got lucky and won't tell anybody otherwise.

The only thing lucky about that KO is that Williams ever got up from it without the aid of a stretcher & oxygen mask.
JLUVBABY
i expect lara to beat the hell out of williams... i like williams but this is a bad match up for him..
neophyte7
Williams' "so called" crowd pleasing style already has brain out of alignment... should have learned how to box instead of fighting like a 5"2 face fighter. And to think I read threads where people were saying he could match up with All time greats like Ray Robinson before Sergio put his ass to sleep... Like I said.. Williams will not be missed. He might as well retire. If he fights the way he has opted to instead of fighting like a tall boxer he will be sent to the canvas for the count again and again and again... I mean when he crouched and leaned right into Sergio's power shot--- Is it him or his trainers that are responsible for his wreckless fighting style???
alaganza
Guys like paul are good for boxing. He's one of those guys that would seemingly fight anyone. And when he did fight it wasn't boring.
King Eugene
I think he's just caught in his emotions and if he racks up a streak of wins(in one division) he'll be considered for a title shot. He wont turn it down and if he shall win he'll keep fighting just to please his fans.
BoxingFan86
What was so good about this dude? I've always thought he was very sloppy. Sloppy fighters don't really intrigue me.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 3 2011, 02:30 AM) *
The only thing lucky about that KO is that Williams ever got up from it without the aid of a stretcher & oxygen mask.

LMAO... Your so fucking stupid (As in Funny)

Martinez landed that punch all through the first fight and Quintana landed in his first fight with PWill. Martinez had that thing timed and he landed it flush on the chin. I wouldn't be shocked if the 1 punch ruined PWill's career... And I'm the biggest PWill fan on these boards.

PWill's handlers fucked him pretty good! Lara is the worst possible fight for him right now. PWill has a horrible time with slick southpaws and nobody knows how his chin will hold up. Lara will make a name for himself... I have Lara stopping him late.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 8 2011, 09:58 AM) *
LMAO... Your so fucking stupid (As in Funny)

Martinez landed that punch all through the first fight and Quintana landed in his first fight with PWill. Martinez had that thing timed and he landed it flush on the chin. I wouldn't be shocked if the 1 punch ruined PWill's career... And I'm the biggest PWill fan on these boards.

That was one of the most brutal KO's I have seen in recent years. Not so much the punch was hard & perfectly timed but the effect it had on Williams. He went down like he copped a load of 00 buck to the head.

That punch I think will have greater long term impact on Williams than many think. He was caught flush & he was relatively cold but due to his lack of defense his opponents will more than likely rush him early & with his long arms get inside his reach.

Williams needs to go back to the basics & use his jab to establish & keep the distance & work EVERYTHING off that jab.

Wlad may be boring as batshit but look at how effective he is because he uses the jab & breaks people down with it & everything he does comes off that jab.
King Eugene
I'm still not sold on PWill being ruined. That kind of KO can ruin a fighter easily but I just dont see that type of warrior being done after that fight. I believe he schools Lara.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 7 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Wlad may be boring as batshit but look at how effective he is because he uses the jab & breaks people down with it & everything he does comes off that jab.

He should have been doing this from day one. After a KO like that fuck pleasing the crowd, he needs to win and take the least amount of punishment as possible.
caneman
I hope PWill isn't ruined as I really like him...exciting fighter, brings it every time and fights the best that he can. The amazing thing to me is before Maravilla landed that punch, he never seem hurt and then it landed!!! I wish him the best!
D-MARV
I think PWill's style was fine! He could have polished his defense up a bit but he had/has one of the best offenses in the game!!!

PWill just needs to lay off slick southpaws for a while. Especially guys who can punch!
King Eugene
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 7 2011, 09:18 PM) *
I think PWill's style was fine! He could have polished his defense up a bit but he had/has one of the best offenses in the game!!!

PWill just needs to lay off slick southpaws for a while. Especially guys who can punch!

He just need to lay off guys who can punch for a while.
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 7 2011, 08:18 PM) *

With his offense, there isn't much defense that you can have other than maybe some head movement! It's just impossible to be that active offensively and have a good defense! IF YOU COULD BUILD ONE THOUGH IT WOULD BE THE PERFECT BEAST!
King Eugene
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 7 2011, 09:24 PM) *
With his offense, there isn't much defense that you can have other than maybe some head movement! It's just impossible to be that active offensively and have a good defense! IF YOU COULD BUILD ONE THOUGH IT WOULD BE THE PERFECT BEAST!

Calzaghe comes to mind. All hate aside he was pretty hard to hit.
D-MARV
Pwill tends to throw wild and he's often off balance! Calzaghe is a great example of a fighter who throws high volume yet has a pretty good defense!
caneman
agreed!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.