Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can ANYONE tell the difference between a standing and mandatory eight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
blackbelt2003
I'm fed up of reading about standing eight counts, even from major media outlets, when they haven't a blind clue what one is.

Case in point, most of the UK media (incuding the big papers) are calling Haye's trip to the canvas in the 11th a 'standing eight count'.

If they think that is a standing eight, they should not be reporting boxing, and not just because it was a dodgy call by the ref, but because it was, in actual fact, a MANDATORY eight.

Just out of interest, how many other people on here can tell me why it was a mandatory eight and not a standing eight? Can any of the new Pactards or Floydiacs show they are not just nuthuggers and explain the simple but commonly misconceived difference between the two?

Black
bosco
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 3 2011, 09:22 AM) *
I'm fed up of reading about standing eight counts, even from major media outlets, when they haven't a blind clue what one is.

Case in point, most of the UK media (incuding the big papers) are calling Haye's trip to the canvas in the 11th a 'standing eight count'.

If they think that is a standing eight, they should not be reporting boxing, and not just because it was a dodgy call by the ref, but because it was, in actual fact, a MANDATORY eight.

Just out of interest, how many other people on here can tell me why it was a mandatory eight and not a standing eight? Can any of the new Pactards or Floydiacs show they are not just nuthuggers and explain the simple but commonly misconceived difference between the two?

Black

A mandatory eight count comes after a knockdown...say a fighter gets up at 4 the ref must continue to count to eight to make sure the fighter can continue
A standing eight count is when a fighter is getting pummeled but won't go down due to the ropes or just strong legs or whatever reason...it allows the ref to step in and evaluate the the fighter to see if he can continue
caneman
Actually for most fights, there is no standing or mandatory eight count these days but many may consider them the same thing but if it is in effect, that was a mandatory standing 8 count I guess! Nah, it was a mandatory 8 count even though the rule wasn't really in effect! Haye deserved it IMO and wasn't it a joke Haye raised his hand like he was gonna get the UD? LMFAO
Maxy
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 3 2011, 08:22 AM) *

Black

Nothing new Black. The UK media talk so much crap it makes me wonder how they hell they're in a job. It's across the board as well, not just boxing.
gravytrain
damn, dudes in the UK can't Google? maybe Haye had them so fired up they didn't want to fact check lol.

i did like the ref doing that though. he told him to quit going down so easy trying to get a deduction then after the warning it's "OK, here's an 8 count".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.