Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: excuses, reasons and bullshit
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mgrover
just about every win I've ever heard for a lot of fighters has been overshadowed for by an excuse, or a reason or just plain bullshit. The biggest one is weight, people complain that this or that shouldn't be fighting at that weight. The best example of this is the Pacman and Marquez fight. People can make all the excuses they want, but Marquez agreed to those terms, that's it, no "oh he only lost because he was bloated", making it seem as a fight that should never of happened.

The fighter takes the fight, that's there choice if they take it I think they should face defeat if it is defeat, I think the same should be for fans, they protest that he was drained, or he was bloated, the fighter took the fight at that weight, he should accept the consequences shouldn't the fans as well?

Another example is Haye and his "broken toe" he shouldn't of been in the fucking ring, but since he decided to go in anyway he should of accepted the consequences, a loss.

The funny thing is I never heard these excuses when the older generation of fighters fought. When Roberto Duran fought Marvin Hagler, people don't say he was a blown up lightweight when he moved onto middleweight or was it light mid? I can't remember yet Marquez moving up to welterweight is a massive deal.....

Maybe this is a rant or maybe am just pissed at the state of the sport. But what do you think of the bullshit excuses floating around?
Lil-lightsout
Man it gets so old listening to all the excuses and bullshit fighters give. So many examples to give...BUT I will give you some examples of what fighters SHOULD have said to be honest with the public.

Marlon Starling after his fight with Molinares- I got knocked the fuck out with a late punch.

Bruce Seldon after his KO loss to Tyson- I was terrified and just took a dive after taking that grazing shot cause I had no chance to win.

Haye after his fight with Wlad- I'm sorry for not backing up my talk and I disgraced myself. Wlad is the better fighter period.

Toney after getting submitted by Couture- I don't belong here and I have an eating disorder and I embarrassed the boxing community and myself with my pitiful lack of commitment I made to get in shape.

Jones after Tarver 3- I was ruined by Tarver and then Johnson and my heart just ain't in it anymore. I lost my invincibility.

Mosley after Pac- I was absolutely pathetic! I was just so scared to get KO'd so I took zero chances to be great. I shamed myself.

mgrover
i just think fights should take a bit more responsibility and give out a real excuse. like I was scared to get hit. and when they give out and excuse like that. they should stop disrespecting the sport and walk away
Big Slim Sweet
Most ridiculous excuse I can think of is Roy after the third Tarver fight when he said he didn't want his dad to take all the credit if he won.
STEVENSKI
I liked Lewis after he got stretched by Rahman.

Paraphrasing here but bear with me

"I got caught with a good punch. Thats what happens in heavyweight boxing"

Being a real man taking it like a man & then showing what is up in the rematch.

I hate excuses unless there is blatant corruption by the judges or the referee is biased there are no excuses. You broke your hand? Tough luck. You overtrained? Bad luck sonny Jim. Be a professional & that won't happen.

As Frazier said after he got fisted by Foreman that he could not deal with the loss & was sure it was a fluke. After their rematch he knew that he could not beat Foreman.
alaganza
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jul 5 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Most ridiculous excuse I can think of is Roy after the third Tarver fight when he said he didn't want his dad to take all the credit if he won.

I remember that. It was the worst excuse I have personally ever heard.
Romulus9
Hamed got his ass kicked by Barrera because it's how it was written from Allah.

I guess the same is true of the 100 lbs. he gained after his retirement, the car wreck he caused that seriously injured someone, and the jail term.

Allah kicked his ass as bad as Barrera did.

None of these fighters should be offering excuses for losing considering Mike Tyson knocked out Clifford Etienne in 49 seconds with a BROKEN FUCKING BACK! laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 5 2011, 09:36 PM) *
None of these fighters should be offering excuses for losing considering Mike Tyson knocked out Clifford Etienne in 49 seconds with a BROKEN FUCKING BACK! laugh.gif

Hands down the funniest Tyson moment ever! I was literally in tears laughing after watching that.

What part? A vertebrate?

Spinal!

laugh.gif

neophyte7

LMAO...
Cshel86
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 5 2011, 08:05 PM) *
Man it gets so old listening to all the excuses and bullshit fighters give. So many examples to give...BUT I will give you some examples of what fighters SHOULD have said to be honest with the public.

Marlon Starling after his fight with Molinares- I got knocked the fuck out with a late punch.

Bruce Seldon after his KO loss to Tyson- I was terrified and just took a dive after taking that grazing shot cause I had no chance to win.

Haye after his fight with Wlad- I'm sorry for not backing up my talk and I disgraced myself. Wlad is the better fighter period.

Toney after getting submitted by Couture- I don't belong here and I have an eating disorder and I embarrassed the boxing community and myself with my pitiful lack of commitment I made to get in shape.

Jones after Tarver 3- I was ruined by Tarver and then Johnson and my heart just ain't in it anymore. I lost my invincibility.

Mosley after Pac- I was absolutely pathetic! I was just so scared to get KO'd so I took zero chances to be great. I shamed myself.

Lol! That was far from an excuse if you ask me! I appreciate any fighter that puts it out there like that!
Cshel86
Andre Berto: "For all yall out there that know me and know how I fight, yall can see that I wasn't myself tonight. That wasn't me in there tonight".

HazConvictedFelonMane
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 5 2011, 11:28 PM) *
Andre Berto: "For all yall out there that know me and know how I fight, yall can see that I wasn't myself tonight. That wasn't me in there tonight".

People have said some interesting things. The guy that handed Berto his first loss, was someone that made a mega questionable statement. He didn't think he deserved to get beat up, so he had some thinking to do. I don't like excuses. For me, the one I hate the most, is giving blood weakens me.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jul 6 2011, 04:45 AM) *
People have said some interesting things. The guy that handed Berto his first loss, was someone that made a mega questionable statement. He didn't think he deserved to get beat up, so he had some thinking to do. I don't like excuses. For me, the one I hate the most, is giving blood weakens me.

Who has used that as an excuse for losing a fight?
mrnash
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 5 2011, 06:08 PM) *
just about every win I've ever heard for a lot of fighters has been overshadowed for by an excuse, or a reason or just plain bullshit. The biggest one is weight, people complain that this or that shouldn't be fighting at that weight. The best example of this is the Pacman and Marquez fight. People can make all the excuses they want, but Marquez agreed to those terms, that's it, no "oh he only lost because he was bloated", making it seem as a fight that should never of happened.

The fighter takes the fight, that's there choice if they take it I think they should face defeat if it is defeat, I think the same should be for fans, they protest that he was drained, or he was bloated, the fighter took the fight at that weight, he should accept the consequences shouldn't the fans as well?

Another example is Haye and his "broken toe" he shouldn't of been in the fucking ring, but since he decided to go in anyway he should of accepted the consequences, a loss.

The funny thing is I never heard these excuses when the older generation of fighters fought. When Roberto Duran fought Marvin Hagler, people don't say he was a blown up lightweight when he moved onto middleweight or was it light mid? I can't remember yet Marquez moving up to welterweight is a massive deal.....

Maybe this is a rant or maybe am just pissed at the state of the sport. But what do you think of the bullshit excuses floating around?
JMM really has/had no choice but to fight at the weight Mannys camp chooses, what was he gonna do? Bob is not gonna put Manny at risk, this is simple logic.
Bob holds all the cards, you either join in or join out. Take the fight by Bobs rules, or we move on to the guy that will. Basically if you wanna get paid, take this dick up your ass or don't.
Cshel86
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 6 2011, 12:34 AM) *
Who has used that as an excuse for losing a fight?

None other than Pacquiao after losing to Morales in their first fight. The crazy thing is, I never heard him make that excuse until Floyd demanded OSDT all the way up until the fight. He lost waaay more blood while fighting Morales that night, but commenced to fighting back like a maniac anyway. I saw no weakness that night, except for the fact that he got outclassed. He rarely makes excuses though...
Cshel86
Oh I've got one...what about Mosley complaining about his tooth being loose after the 2nd Vargas fight. He came outta nowhere with it when Larry Merchant asked him if he was going to fight Floyd Mayweather. Dude was duckin' Floyd back then!

http://youtu.be/-lc9Kd955co

It started at 2:25
Walstan86
Except for Haye and his little toe, you rarely hear ANY FIGHTER make excuses for his loss. What you hear are THEIR FANS make excuses for them: "Drained... Too Old.... etc."
gravytrain
QUOTE (Walstan86 @ Jul 6 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Except for Haye and his little toe, you rarely hear ANY FIGHTER make excuses for his loss. What you hear are THEIR FANS make excuses for them: "Drained... Too Old.... etc."

lol you can't be serious

blackbelt2003
Trevor Berbick, right up until his sad death a few years ago, insisted he only lost to Tyson because Team Tyson poisoned his water in the hotel.

Nothing to do with Tyson knocking him the fuck out then.

Matt
Hops
Clottey implying that he was not the same on the night against Pacquiao because of some witchcraft or voodoo whatever you may call it. Then it dawned on me that the guy's from Ghana.
Tha Docta
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 7 2011, 01:44 AM) *
Roy Jones Jr. after the third Tarver fight seems to be a popular choice. I have yet to see anyone note that it was brought up to Jones in an interview afterwards and Roy himself said that it's far from the case, that he didn't do enough to win and it's no ones fault but himself!?

Which fighter blamed his loss on a pair of socks?

Clottey claimed he lost because he had a try of his friends food that was not cooked by his personal cook!

Manny has recently revealed he lost to Morales the first time because he got blood tests before hand!

it was manny vs morales 1 when manny said he had the wrong socks on. i laughed my ass off. however, he apparently had the correct socks on for the next two fights with morales.

the biggest excuse maker if have seen in recent years has to be allan green. ive never seen a guy start making excuses right from the opening bell. he has some sort of bullsh%t excuse for every big fight hes been in. one fight he even claimed his colon was falling out or some sh%t like that.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 5 2011, 09:36 PM) *
Hamed got his ass kicked by Barrera because it's how it was written from Allah.

I guess the same is true of the 100 lbs. he gained after his retirement, the car wreck he caused that seriously injured someone, and the jail term.

Allah kicked his ass as bad as Barrera did.

LMAO!

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 5 2011, 09:41 PM) *
Hands down the funniest Tyson moment ever! I was literally in tears laughing after watching that.

What part? A vertebrate?

Spinal!

laugh.gif

This shit is still classic. LOL!

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 5 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Lol! That was far from an excuse if you ask me! I appreciate any fighter that puts it out there like that!

He said that's what Roy should have said.

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 6 2011, 09:02 AM) *
Oh I've got one...what about Mosley complaining about his tooth being loose after the 2nd Vargas fight. He came outta nowhere with it when Larry Merchant asked him if he was going to fight Floyd Mayweather. Dude was duckin' Floyd back then!

http://youtu.be/-lc9Kd955co

It started at 2:25

I remember that, but people still believe Floyd was duckin' Shane back then. SMH!
HaydelHammer

Yes, that was some crazy stuff right there. Roy lost me on that one.

Why even bring in your dad for the III fight then? Trying to rekindle? Then I guess goes "oh shit I might actually win so let me LOSE" so I don't hurt coach merk and let my dad get credit? I turned in my Roy card that night.
The CEO
DLH has a horrible one...

He said he fought Mayweather with two, torn rotator cuffs....you see that right....TWO.
caneman
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 8 2011, 08:06 AM) *
DLH has a horrible one...

He said he fought Mayweather with two, torn rotator cuffs....you see that right....TWO.

How about the 8 stitches he got his hand wraps cut off! lolz! The whole time with that big fake smile on his face!
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 8 2011, 09:24 AM) *
How about the 8 stitches he got his hand wraps cut off! lolz! The whole time with that big fake smile on his face!

DLH always cracked me up with his soft voice and smiley nature. then he comes up with the craziest excuses and would just smile when he said them.
Sicko
this ERA of Boxers are DIVAS and their DUMB FANS are even worse because now the fans are the ones that make EXCUSES for their favorite fighters ALL THE TIME and the fans scream "ROBBERY" way too much now when it comes to boxing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.