Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fights that passed expectation!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
List some fights that you knew would be some what entertaining but turned out to be way better than what you expected. The type of fights that no matter who won the public was anxious to see both fighters next fight. Not the outcome you didn't expect but the actual fight. I'll name a few just to start off. Mine are more recent fights than some of you old heads may name.

Williams vs. Martinez I: This fight had me at the edge of my seat. Paul Williams doesn't have boring fights but I didn't expect Martinez to bring it right back the way he did. The back and forth action was tremendous. I remember when the fight came over folks where over at my place drinking and what not before going out for the night. I had planned on watching about half of it and then heading out. Man that fight was so good NOBODY budged until the last bell. It was so good I woke up early the next morning just to watch the replay.

JMM vs. Diaz I: I expected this to be a close but fairly easy win for Diaz because Marquez was slowing down and Diaz looked to be the younger and fresher fighter with more to give. Boy was I wrong.

Micky Ward vs. Emanuel Augustus: ESPN put together some pretty good fights but I never seen this one coming. If you seen this then nothing else needs to be said!
Snoop
Miguel Cotto vs Ricardo Torres.
King Eugene
Vitali vs. Lennix
Romulus9
I think the most recent example is Maidana-Morales. We all knew Erik would give it all he had but the fight that resulted was excellent. Very glad I ordered that PPV.

Pazienza-Duran I and Duran-Camacho I (ROBBERY!) were both highly entertaining fights, well worth the PPV cost, and the cards themselves were good top to bottom.

One fight that REALLY exceeded expectations was Pazienza vs. Glenwood Brown. ESPN Classic will replay it from time to time.
Hittman25
berto vs ortiz for me new it would be good just not that good...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Tua/Ibeabuchi. Not many had heard of Ike before this fight.

Toney/Sam Peter 1. Both looked terrible at the weigh-in but that proved to be a decent scrap.

I'd also put avote in for Maidana/Morales. I thought that was going to be a walkover.

Also a recent one that surprised me was Hopkins/Pascal, particularly the first one. More action than I would've guessed and compelling all the way.
BoxingWizard23
Agreed with everyone picks except for that Wright vs Hopkins fight.

Mayweather vs Mosley - Many thought Floyd would potshot the stronger Mosley and fight off the backfoot all night but May made it interesting. For the first time in a long while he fought going foward and was banging with Mosley and was pushing the action most exciting modern Mayweather fight to date that shut up the critics on his defensive style.

Mosley vs Cotto- Classic in my opinion. Mosley was looking to KO the prime Cotto. This was Cotto at his peak and Mosley was throwing bombs from rds 1 through 6. Cotto was banging with Mosley too and in the 2nd half of the late fight he started boxing Shane which made it more dramatic seeing Shane discouraged because Cotto ate his best shots like scooby snacks. Great fight.

Vitali vs Sanders - This fight was interesting from the early rounds. Corrie was bringing it to Vitali early even knocking him down and putting on great pressure. Since this was the younger Vitali he was bit more athletic, they were trading shots till the 8th round when Vitali was going for broke and Sanders would not go down, that man has one of the strongest chins in HW history to with stand that nasty barrage. Good fight

Brandon Rios vs Miguel Acosta - People knew this was gonna be a good fight but not a FOTY candidate type great fight. Rios was a strong fighter even for his weight class and Acosta was a boxer puncher who can move and counter punch a bit with his quicker hands. This was the classic boxer vs puncher fight. Acosta was winning the first half of the fight but Rios made it interesting even when Acosta was outmanuvering and outboxing Rios. Till Rios willed his way into the fight and started to overwhelm Acosta with his size, power and pressure. Acosta started to trade which made the fight much more exciting and it ended up costing him dearly. As Rios ended up stopping him with a powerful barrage of left and right hooks to the jaw. Great fight.

Carl Froch vs Jean Pascal- classic and very underrated fight. This fight was so good that it literally had some fans fall out their seat. *watch it on youtube* Both fighters were giving it their all. Power punches were being traded like stock prices no room for jabs or soft touches from the very first bell to the last. I recommend all who hasn't seen it to go see it. Great fight.
STEVENSKI
From a personal standpoint Tarver vs RJJ II exceeded my wildest expectations.
mrwigi
Castillo vs. Corrales
alaganza
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 7 2011, 02:07 AM) *
Tua/Ibeabuchi. Not many had heard of Ike before this fight.

Toney/Sam Peter 1. Both looked terrible at the weigh-in but that proved to be a decent scrap.

I'd also put avote in for Maidana/Morales. I thought that was going to be a walkover.

Also a recent one that surprised me was Hopkins/Pascal, particularly the first one. More action than I would've guessed and compelling all the way.

Tua/Ibeabuchi is a good one. In fact, if the heavyweight division could get half the action of that fight we would be in good shape.
BGv2.0
Holyfield-Cooper was really something. Cooper was a burnt out crack head that was offered a chance to fight Evander in his home town of Atalanta GA. Basically thought of as a sacrificial offering with zero chance....

Cooper took the fight on like 2 weeks notice and damn near became HW champion after pulling himself off the canvas in the second round by one of the hardest Left hooks to the body I've ever seen and becoming the first person to ever floor Holyfield.

But as the fight went on, the insane uppercuts Evander put on Cooper eventually stopped the fight....UGLY, hard uppercut after uppercut.....Cooper simply would not even try to block the shot....once Holyfield found that hole in Coopers defense he ran with it.

Really great surprising fight. Also, great ref job by Mills Lane.
Allmenjoi8
Foreman vs. Moore, simply because no one expected Foreman to win more importantly no one expected Moore to be that stupid and stand in front of Foreman. It good fight

Hatton (recently retired, good job Hatton), vs. Mayweather it was action packed. Loved it

Ninito Donaire (correct spelling?). I did not expect him to knock the taste out the guys mouth, I forget who the fighter was.

Roy Jones vs. James Tony= applauding!!!!! Excellent, I think a lot of people knew it would be a good fight but I thought it was a great fight.

Barrea vs. Morales= Applauding!!!!
Cshel86
Pacquiao vs Marquez I
Mayweather vs Corley
Williams vs Martinez I and II (though II was a shocker)
Berto vs Ortiz
Marquez vs Katsidis
Morales vs Maidana
Cotto vs Judah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.