Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Larry Merchant Be FIRED?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Allmenjoi8
HBO commentary for boxing would be great if Larry "The biggest hater" Merchant wasn't apart of that team. He is so negative and half of the time he does not know what he is talking about. Unless the fight is a bloody massacre he isn't happy. I am not going to even touch his pure biased against Floyd. I wondered if HBO should replace him with someone else... I loved it when Foreman told him to shut up!! He should stop commentating In my opinion. Any thoughts?
leonthegee
Totally, ive been saying hes the biggest hater for years. He doesnt understand the business end of boxing at all.
Jhill47
i think they should but i believe the keep him around for that very reason because they know he will ask the questions that nobody else will. I've never agreed with Larry but he was spot on for that horrible heavy weight fight and he had every reason to grill David Haye. As far as Floyd goes he just doesn't like the guy and i don't think Manny Stewart likes Floyd too much either but that's mainly b/c he is a defensive fighter. But Larry Merchant is a fossil so i don't think he will be going anywhere. If i'm not mistaken i believe he had ring side seats for David vs Goliath
Walstan86
Only things he's biased against are boring fights and boring fighters.
FightHypeRules
I've long been frustrated with him, not due to any bias or whatnot, just because it takes him 20 minutes to say a few sentences. It drives me crazy listening to him talk. That may not be his fault, and I may be an asshole for bringing it up, but it still drives me crazy and I hate listening to him talk.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 7 2011, 09:08 PM) *
HBO commentary for boxing would be great if Larry "The biggest hater" Merchant wasn't apart of that team. He is so negative and half of the time he does not know what he is talking about. Unless the fight is a bloody massacre he isn't happy. I am not going to even touch his pure biased against Floyd. I wondered if HBO should replace him with someone else... I loved it when Foreman told him to shut up!! He should stop commentating In my opinion. Any thoughts?

Read my signature drinks.gif
caneman
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 7 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Read my signature drinks.gif

got the beat?
FightHypeRules
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 7 2011, 02:49 PM) *
got the beat?

alaganza
Larry "Make mine a double" Merchant is a pretty unique character. Merchant really is only looking for fighters with passion that will produce dramatic fights. I don't see anything wrong with that. Where I do have a problem with Larry is when you do not produce those types of fights he will do his best to bury you in his own smug way.

Also I had a problem with him calling Wlad a big beautiful man. Awkward!!!!
alkantot
Larry's old school. He's used to 'real' boxing, where the fighters actually slug it out. Floyd is good on paper only. He doesn't want to face sluggers. This is one reason we'll never see a fight between him and the Pacman. So-called 'technical' fights are what they are: BORING!
Spyder
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 7 2011, 05:08 PM) *

thefloatingmonkey
Larry is awesome. He should definitley stay. Shouldn't be fired.
King Eugene
Hell no dont get rid of Larry. He may be an asshole sometimes but its tolerable. I always look forward to hearing what he has to say whether or not I think its full of shit because he pulls no punches nor hold his tongue. I like controversial commentators.

Besides Max Kellerman looks to be trying to follow Larry's footsteps.
Cshel86
Im ready for him to retire to his bottle of whiskey and a golf career my damn self! I don't usually say things like this, but I don't believe that this guy will ever be happy until there's a white champion with a household name crowned. He REALLY gives blacks fighters a hard time during their interviews, whether they box their way to a victory, KO their opponent, or loses...it almost looks as if it hurts him to do a post-fight interview. He gives almost ALL (98%) fighters a hard time when he cuts them off and asks stupid questions.

I can pinpoint how he mocked Devon Alexander a couple of weeks ago. Though Alexander didn't look well in the fight and people didn't agree with the decision, Merchant implied insults about the decision, cut him off, and mocked him by saying, "splaining" (explaining) after Devon was done talking. We know that Devon is not the best speaker, but damnnit man.

He also has to explain his wack jokes every time they fly out of his mouth, smh. He has given some of the best and people-friendly fighters a tough time...guys like Oscar, Roy Jones, Hatton, etc. The only people that he doesn't mess with is Hopkins, the Klitzkos, Pacquiao, and he even tries to cut off the fighters who need interpreters, smh. Im leaning more towards Max Kellerman nowadays, and we all know that this old windbag's contract was up in '09, but they just allow him and Kellerman to alternate. Again folks, I am not racist, so please dont take it as such.
Big Slim Sweet
I love Larry Merchant. Always pleased when I see him tottering there unsteadily next to Lamps or Papa at the onset of a show.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
It's a sad day when people stop appreciating how cool it is to have a drunk crazy man on LIVE television.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 8 2011, 08:50 AM) *
Im ready for him to retire to his bottle of whiskey and a golf career my damn self! I don't usually say things like this, but I don't believe that this guy will ever be happy until there's a white champion with a household name crowned. He REALLY gives blacks fighters a hard time during their interviews, whether they box their way to a victory, KO their opponent, or loses...it almost looks as if it hurts him to do a post-fight interview. He gives almost ALL (98%) fighters a hard time when he cuts them off and asks stupid questions.

I can pinpoint how he mocked Devon Alexander a couple of weeks ago. Though Alexander didn't look well in the fight and people didn't agree with the decision, Merchant implied insults about the decision, cut him off, and mocked him by saying, "splaining" (explaining) after Devon was done talking. We know that Devon is not the best speaker, but damnnit man.

He also has to explain his wack jokes every time they fly out of his mouth, smh. He has given some of the best and people-friendly fighters a tough time...guys like Oscar, Roy Jones, Hatton, etc. The only people that he doesn't mess with is Hopkins, the Klitzkos, Pacquiao, and he even tries to cut off the fighters who need interpreters, smh. Im leaning more towards Max Kellerman nowadays, and we all know that this old windbag's contract was up in '09, but they just allow him and Kellerman to alternate. Again folks, I am not racist, so please dont take it as such.

Gotta love contradiction (see bold above). Merchant is a old drunk who says unintentionally hilarious things & rightly gives fighters a hard time when they deserve it.

He calls fighters on thier BS like when they say they will brutalise someone & then box their way to a cautious decision he calls them on it. Rightly so I may add.

alaganza
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 7 2011, 07:15 PM) *
It's a sad day when people stop appreciating how cool it is to have a drunk crazy man on LIVE television.

In a nutshell bro!

Larry has a very slight filter. He will say almost anything. It's funny sometimes to see fighter put on a great defensive display only to fall victim to the verbal assault of the "Double Scotch Warrior" in the post fight interview.
Cshel86
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 7 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Gotta love contradiction (see bold above). Merchant is a old drunk who says unintentionally hilarious things & rightly gives fighters a hard time when they deserve it.

He calls fighters on thier BS like when they say they will brutalise someone & then box their way to a cautious decision he calls them on it. Rightly so I may add.

I just knew that somebody was going to find something wrong with my statement, smh. Too bad I found something wrong with your statement as well (see bold above). The rule is, "I" before "E", except after "C". Learn how to spell before you try to counter someone's statement...spell check is free by the way.
Spyder
There should be an age limit to post on here.
gravytrain
motherfuckers can only dream of hating like Larry Merchant. to be honest he's the only good thing about HBO telecasts.

touch the bias against Mayweather, i double dog dare you. Merchant has got under the skin of Mr. Sensitive for the longest and was hating on such a high level after the Baldo fight they'd to film that shit with the Hubble telescope.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 8 2011, 09:42 AM) *
I just knew that somebody was going to find something wrong with my statement, smh. Too bad I found something wrong with your statement as well (see bold above). The rule is, "I" before "E", except after "C". Learn how to spell before you try to counter someone's statement...spell check is free by the way.

Thanks teach. It is called a typo & it happens sometimes. That is a mistake just like I am sure your conception was.

There is a difference between contradicting yourself in the same post & making a typo. Most people when they contradict themselves do so in multiple posts but I suppose congratulations are in order as you successfully did it in one post.
Spyder
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 7 2011, 08:04 PM) *
motherfuckers can only dream of hating like Larry Merchant. to be honest he's the only good thing about HBO telecasts.

touch the bias against Mayweather, i double dog dare you. Merchant has got under the skin of Mr. Sensitive for the longest and was hating on such a high level after the Baldo fight they'd to film that shit with the Hubble telescope.

Larry Merchant should be the Grandmaster at this year's Playa Hata's Ball.

Fitz
Haha, no. Larry Merchant is the best value on the HBO team.
zucrates
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 7 2011, 04:08 PM) *

Nah they need to keep him because controversy sells and you have to admit he doesn't hold back in post fight interviews even though he says bias stuff sometimes his closing op on fights are classic!
PColeman28
QUOTE (zucrates @ Jul 7 2011, 08:00 PM) *
Nah they need to keep him because controversy sells and you have to admit he doesn't hold back in post fight interviews even though he says bias stuff sometimes his closing op on fights are classic!

the way Larry is funny to me, he does say bias stuff sometimes, like a lot of people have mentioned he doesn't hold back in post interviews...if a guy says he's moving up in weight larry will throw like 3 or 4 fighters in the division he wants the guy to fight....he like plays the roll of the average fan during the broadcast....always pissed if the fight isn't a Bloody Brawl lmao
Cyrenn
Larry only keeping it real. clapping.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 7 2011, 06:42 PM) *

Wow, what a cunt.
Lil-lightsout
I like Larry, he cracks me up. I do agree he can be a little hard on fighters, but at least he is being truthful and not giving us BS like most others.
TzFrank
Yes he should definitely be fired! I've been saying that for years now. All he does is hate and he is so biased against floyd. I remember when floyd shut him up after the baldomir fight when he called floyd boring . I think they should get lennox Lewis or Roy Jones to take His place.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 8 2011, 03:37 PM) *
Wow, what a cunt.

Just another Mensa member clutching at straws.
caneman
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 7 2011, 06:42 PM) *

That is not true, you know that right? I before E was an ok rule of thumb when we were in 6th fucking grade but there are words where that is not true! So before you try using that weak shit to try to win an argument, @ least come correct fully! How old are you anyhow?
oldschool
I"ve always disliked larry Merchant! Hes way to biased in his oponions! If he doesnt like a fighter hes very critical! as in the the last David Haye fight. The oldman needs to retire!
The CEO
Over the years, I've noticed it's mainly nuthuggers who have a problem with Merchant...ones that don't like him strongly critiquing aka "Hating" their favorite fighter(s)...

Ofcourse, I personally respect and appreciate Larry...I see him as an Icon, an Innovator....and unlike Joe Calzaghe, many fans WILL miss him when he's gone.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (alkantot @ Jul 7 2011, 06:12 PM) *
Larry's old school. He's used to 'real' boxing, where the fighters actually slug it out. Floyd is good on paper only. He doesn't want to face sluggers. This is one reason we'll never see a fight between him and the Pacman. So-called 'technical' fights are what they are: BORING!

Wow. you definitely don't know your boxing FightHype freshemen. Floyd has faced sluggers over the years and many. Some of the best sluggers who will be in the hall of fame and he beat some of them using their tactics. Technical fights are what's called The Sweet Science don't disrespect the sport like it or not...it's called BOXING for a reason the game is named hit and don't get hit and Floyd is one of the best and is the best boxer in his era of that account. Pacman is just another slugger.
caneman
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 8 2011, 07:36 AM) *
Over the years, I've noticed it's mainly nuthuggers who have a problem with Merchant...ones that don't like him strongly critiquing aka "Hating" their favorite fighter(s)...

Ofcourse, I personally respect and appreciate Larry...I see him as an Icon, an Innovator....and unlike Joe Calzaghe, many fans WILL miss him when he's gone.

I agree with this for the most part...not to say I never said Larry STFU but really dude is just classic Philly, you might not like what he says but he says it anyhow!!!1 Now Jim Gray on the other hand!
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (alaganza @ Jul 7 2011, 07:31 PM) *
In a nutshell bro!

Larry has a very slight filter. He will say almost anything. It's funny sometimes to see fighter put on a great defensive display only to fall victim to the verbal assault of the "Double Scotch Warrior" in the post fight interview.

LOL @ Double Scotch Warrior ...hahaha
Sunmanken
Its a brutal pugilistic sport. The most he does is says harsh truths that NEED to be said to million dollar cry-babies who take the path of least resistence. I wish Larry Merchant would commentate MORE often...even about shit that has nothing to do with boxing. He should lecture. That'd be awesome. Dead serious, by the way.
Cshel86
QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 8 2011, 03:34 AM) *
Yes he should definitely be fired! I've been saying that for years now. All he does is hate and he is so biased against floyd. I remember when floyd shut him up after the baldomir fight when he called floyd boring . I think they should get lennox Lewis or Roy Jones to take His place.

I agree that he should hang it up, but if that means bringing Lennox Lewis in to replace him...then I will pass and put up with Merchant's crap until further notice. Lewis kills me from ringside, and I definitely can't picture him doing a post-fight interview. It's like he zones out during the fights and misses stuff, smh.

I remember when Judah clearly punched Floyd in his balls and hit him in the back of the head when Lewis was the guest commentator. When Merchant asked him if the low blow was on purpose, he stated, "I dont think the low blow was intentional, but the punch to the back of the head was definitely intentional". Lol! I laughed so hard when he responded...even Stevie Wonder could see how much malice was behind that low blow! I like when Roy Jones calls fight, but I will gladly deal with Merchant if they try to bring Lewis back. (Just my opinion)
Method
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 7 2011, 05:08 PM) *

Im not gonna say he should be fired, per se, but its true - unless its a blood bath, he's hating. He has absolutely ZERO regard for the subtle nuances of the sweet science. Its a shame, because he is colorful and can be funny, etc, but if Im HBO, and I am trying to attract a following, it's REALLY counter productive to have your analyst sitting there and shitting on your production all night.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 8 2011, 10:27 AM) *
Im not gonna say he should be fired, per se, but its true - unless its a blood bath, he's hating. He has absolutely ZERO regard for the subtle nuances of the sweet science. Its a shame, because he is colorful and can be funny, etc, but if Im HBO, and I am trying to attract a following, it's REALLY counter productive to have your analyst sitting there and shitting on your production all night.

+1

I get a kick out of Larry Merchant... But he does shit on guys who choose not to engage in war. If your skillful enough to just spank someone for 12 rounds, then by all means... Not everyone has to be a Knockout artist.

I really enjoy watching guys like Hopkins and Mayweather dissect and breakdown there opponents. It takes a helluva lot more skill to do that then to close your eyes and throw bombs!
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 8 2011, 10:27 AM) *

Now THERE's a valid reason to call for Merchant's termination....from a professional standpoint....being in the spotlight, you shouldn't draw attention to how shitty your product is...

So yeah...one can go after Merchant's competence for a few things...like his dragged out, drunken rhythm or his counter productive to HBO rants...but I don't think the guy should be fired just over his strong and often blunt opinion of fighters...

He's forgotten more than most of us know, and I've seen fighters he's bashed in the past win him over....the old man is a Fair Hater, and you have to respect that.
Tjrjr
QUOTE (alkantot @ Jul 7 2011, 02:12 PM) *

Of course... we couldn't have a forum without some dummy bringing up Floyd vs. Pac ... get over it!!!
PColeman28
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 8 2011, 08:40 AM) *
Now THERE's a valid reason to call for Merchant's termination....from a professional standpoint....being in the spotlight, you shouldn't draw attention to how shitty your product is...

So yeah...one can go after Merchant's competence for a few things...like his dragged out, drunken rhythm or his counter productive to HBO rants...but I don't think the guy should be fired just over his strong and often blunt opinion of fighters...

He's forgotten more than most of us know, and I've seen fighters he's bashed in the past win him over....the old man is a Fair Hater, and you have to respect that.

this is true i have seen some fighters win him over before, that he's given a hard time
Col Reb
Larry is awesome and my favorite commentator. He and Jim are the best 1-2 team in boxing. HBO would be foolish to replace either of them, just like they were foolish to replace their intro music to World Championship Boxing.
jlupi
I like larry. I dont always agree w him but he is paid to give opinions and thats what he does.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 8 2011, 11:40 AM) *
.the old man is a Fair Hater, and you have to respect that.

Pretty much all that needs to be said; now Lampley that dickrider needs to go.
BGv2.0
That's crap about him being "racist"....I've seen him give plenty of black fighters their respect and due.

He's simply in the same boat we all are in as fans....he's tired of the BS...only difference between Larry and the rest of us....he has a broadcast outlet that allows him to be heard.

Jack 1000
I would keep Larry, because there is no one else who could come close to duplicating his insight. He's not a 'Yes Man", bashes boring fights that deserve to be bashed, and is not a fan boy like Kellerman. However, he is not as good as he once was because of the effects of aging and this is most noted with his slurred-speech in post-fight interviews. He still has the old school experience. Critics say he's a Cosell wanna-be. But if they let Merchant go, that moves Max up to full-time, or , they bring in Teddy Atlas. Well, they wouldn't do that, because he would "bump heads" too much at HBO because Atlas is much too conceited to be a team player.

I think bringing Foreman back would be interesting and fun.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Jul 8 2011, 03:14 PM) *
Pretty much all that needs to be said; now Lampley that dickrider needs to go.

Agree about Lamply being a dick-rider,

But when a fight is exciting there is No one better than Lamps! He brings the color and intensity to a broadcast in an exciting fight that compliments and coordinates Merchant asking the tough-questions. Lamps USED to not be a dick-rider. Go from about the time he began at HBO to about the first Ward-Gatti fight. Ward-Gatti I may be his greatest call of all time! Lamps faltered badly when Douglas upset Tyson, not showing his landmark excitability. And he talked too much when Tarver shockingly KO'd Jones, ruining that magical moment.

After Ward-Gatti I and when Delahoya and Mayweather started being staples at the network, that's when Lamps became a pom-pom fan boy for the fighters that HBO had under contract. When Dibella left, the network lost it's guidance and leadership, looking to cheer-lead for the house-fighters and Olympians, against sub-par competition rather than buying the best two-sided fights boxing had to offer under Dibella and the ORIGINAL Boxing After Dark.

Kerry Davis and Ross Greenberg got Lamps to drink the "Cheer for our star" Kool-Aide, and HBO boxing has not been the same, since.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.