Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which trainer can help Paul Williams?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Snoop
So judging from last night's post-fight comments, it looks like Williams is adamant on continuing his career til he gets that third fight with Martinez. Williams probably has some of the greatest physical advantages of the division yet doesn't capitalize on any of them. If he was willing to change his style, who do you think he should seek as a new trainer?
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 10 2011, 03:44 PM) *
So judging from last night's post-fight comments, it looks like Williams is adamant on continuing his career til he gets that third fight with Martinez. Williams probably has some of the greatest physical advantages of the division yet doesn't capitalize on any of them. If he was willing to change his style, who do you think he should seek as a new trainer?

If Paul doesn't use those advantages and change his mind set of "I was just being lazy and needed to bring more pressure" instead of the FACT that Lara's lefthand couldn't miss and actually anyone with a good left could do that same thing to him! I like PWill a lot but he needs to forget about Maravilla cause he can't even beat Lara! NOTHING CAN HELP him if he doesn't see and get it!
gravytrain
i don't think anyone could. even if he brought in a new trainer he wouldn't have the time or commitment to really change. if he got with someone like Manny Steward awhile ago i think he would be a beast though.
xxxxxx
I think Emmanual Steward could prolly help him fight a little taller and be more patient.
Nay_Sayer
Floyd Sr.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 10 2011, 04:24 PM) *
Floyd Sr.

I think Sr. could help him also. Paul seems like a guy who would listen and take orders so Sr. fits that.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
It is too late for Pul Williams to make the necessary adjustments to his technique. Even if he made little changes as soon as he is in a firefight he will revert back to his old ways.
caneman
Who has Sr trained the last 10 years and made into a great fighter?
caneman
In the last 15 years? 20 years? I guess FMJ makes him great huh? lol
STEVENSKI
Williams will never amount to more than what he has achieved. He is possibly the most stupid world class fighter I have seen in some time. He simply does not use his tools to his advantage & I feel that he is too old to adapt. Unless he does some Rocky II type shit.

Prov0
Paul willuams need a out spoken trainer soneone like Floyd sr. paul is a fighter who thinks he knows it all weve heard him in the past talking like hes the best and everyone is scared of him .ive always felt he was Overated .hes 6'2 who fights like hes 5'9 .someone.on this board said even if he got a new trainer he would go into his old ways.i see that happening too.ithink hes done if he does choose to stick around he should Not fight anyone with a decent name.
caneman
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 10 2011, 05:00 PM) *
Who has Sr trained the last 10 years and made into a great fighter?

Wow not even 1 Mayweather Sr fans?
Fitz
I think it's beyond the trainer, it's Paul Williams that's the problem. He doesn't even need a proper 'trainer' with his physical tools. He could have any Tom, Dick or Harry in his corner to tell him to use the jab, stand upright etc. But his problem is, that he thinks his style if fine and doesn't need to change.
He just needs someone that can get through to him, and tell him his style sucks and needs to adjust. If he can't acknowledge this, only so much a trainer can do to help him.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 10 2011, 11:41 PM) *
I think it's beyond the trainer, it's Paul Williams that's the problem. He doesn't even need a proper 'trainer' with his physical tools. He could have any Tom, Dick or Harry in his corner to tell him to use the jab, stand upright etc. But his problem is, that he thinks his style if fine and doesn't need to change.
He just needs someone that can get through to him, and tell him his style sucks and needs to adjust. If he can't acknowledge this, only so much a trainer can do to help him.

I was thinking the same thing Fitz. Williams is stubborn as hell thinking his style is still working for him, but his corner isn't helping him any in changing his thinking. If, let's say hypothetically, he would be willing to learn something new, who would be a good fit, or is it too late?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 11 2011, 09:39 AM) *
Wow not even 1 Mayweather Sr fans?

Like you said Randy who has he trained & developed?
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 10 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Like you said Randy who has he trained & developed?

He's most notably known for developing his son Floyd Jr.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2011, 10:42 AM) *
He's most notably known for developing his son Floyd Jr.

Uncle Rog did just as much with Floyd & anyone could develop a fighter when he is their only client over a decade starting in childhood (see Enzo Calzaghe). Who else?

caneman
crickets!!! hear that?
caneman
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 10 2011, 07:52 PM) *
Uncle Rog did just as much with Floyd & anyone could develop a fighter when he is their only client over a decade starting in childhood (see Enzo Calzaghe). Who else?

To be far though, growing up in a boxing family will do wonders and I am sure everyone of them helped but I didn't think too many names were gonna come up!
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 10 2011, 08:52 PM) *

BULLSHIT... LOL.

Uncle Rog's crackheaded ass ain't do shit!

Floyd Sr taught Floyd everything he knows... Sure, it's easy when you have God Given talent like Jr does... BUt if you go back and watch old films of Sr... you can see some of the things that Jr does now... Jr just does them 10x better!
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 10 2011, 05:49 PM) *
It is too late for Pul Williams to make the necessary adjustments to his technique. Even if he made little changes as soon as he is in a firefight he will revert back to his old ways.

even if Ray Arcel was still alive he couldn't change Williams, Williams is too caught up in his own shit to change. all he would do is fire them and go back to a yes-man. i see him cashing out on the Martinez rubber match or fighting a real easy fight before retiring. either way this guy is just an injury waiting to happen if he sticks around.

QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 10 2011, 06:27 PM) *
In the last 15 years? 20 years? I guess FMJ makes him great huh? lol

Dawson said he knew boxing but was a shitty trainer. he tries to train everyone the same way and is negative as hell. whether that's the case or not i don't know, i do know that Sr has done jack shit to be thought of as the guy to save someone's career.

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 10 2011, 08:52 PM) *

Roger has done more. it's not even a contest.
D-MARV
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 10 2011, 09:09 PM) *
Roger has done more. it's not even a contest.

Roger will be remembered for being Floyd's Mit Man!
Fitz
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 11 2011, 10:16 AM) *
If, let's say hypothetically, he would be willing to learn something new, who would be a good fit, or is it too late?

Without a doubt, Emmanuel Steward. Steward works well with tall fighters like Williams, and instructs them to use the basics, the only thing Williams really needs. Look at what Steward done with Wlad, and even with Wlad, you see Steward get pissed off for not opening up, and not going for it.
He wouldn't have that problem with Williams, he could train him to fight tall like he is supposed to, but unlike Wlad, Williams wouldn't be afraid to open up and go for it when the time is right, and scared of getting hit, so it's perfect for Steward, and will have all the benefits he has got from guys like Wlad, except without the frustration.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 10 2011, 08:09 PM) *
Dawson said he knew boxing but was a shitty trainer.

If Floyd Sr. is such the shitty trainer then why did de la Hoya stick with him for so long?

Why has Chad looked like absolute shit since leaving Floyd?
gravytrain
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 10 2011, 09:25 PM) *
Roger will be remembered for being Floyd's Mit Man!

mit man, check collector. shit he could even be Mr. Most People Don't Know. we see who's working the corner and who's working his value meal from Taco Bell on 24/7.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 10 2011, 09:28 PM) *
If Floyd Sr. is such the shitty trainer then why did de la Hoya stick with him for so long?

Why has Chad looked like absolute shit since leaving Floyd?

DLH? lol. like that's anything more than DLH just choosing to work with him. you can't possibly try to tell me Dawson has only looked bad because of Mayweather not being in his corner either. i would have taken Eddie Mustafa Muhhamad over him any day.

he did a lot of good for Hatton though, right? he's producing a lot of champions too.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2011, 11:02 AM) *
BULLSHIT... LOL.

Uncle Rog's crackheaded ass ain't do shit!

Floyd Sr taught Floyd everything he knows... Sure, it's easy when you have God Given talent like Jr does... BUt if you go back and watch old films of Sr... you can see some of the things that Jr does now... Jr just does them 10x better!

Roger slaps those pads like a man possessed & that pad slapping has done more for PBF than any shoulder roll.

FLoyd does not (so far at least) show that classic Mayweather tendancy to have highlight reel beatings. One habit he should be happy he never picked up.

I don't rate Snr as a trainer. He knows boxing & all that but I am yet to see him train a fighter in any style other than his own limited style. Great trainers work with their fighters style rather than try & change fighters natural style.

QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 11 2011, 11:28 AM) *

Because he is a shitty fighter. All his best wins were before Snr took over the training.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 10 2011, 09:53 PM) *
Roger slaps those pads like a man possessed & that pad slapping has done more for PBF than any shoulder roll.

FLoyd does not (so far at least) show that classic Mayweather tendancy to have highlight reel beatings. One habit he should be happy he never picked up.

I don't rate Snr as a trainer. He knows boxing & all that but I am yet to see him train a fighter in any style other than his own limited style. Great trainers work with their fighters style rather than try & change fighters natural style.

Because he is a shitty fighter. All his best wins were before Snr took over the training.

i think DLH might just suffer from acute bitchassness and having some dude talk down to him might have been what he's been craving since his childhood. and since Sr's jaw muscles are more active than his brain he probably fit the bill pretty well.
Box in Hand
How about an Olympic Volleyball coach cause in boxing Paul ain't never gonna fix that leak in his defense. He doesn't even think he did anything wrong last night WTF? He should try another sport before he gets killed.
JLUVBABY
no trainer can help williams at this point... the only thing a new trainer can do is get him hurt faster than he will be at the rate he's going... he'd find himself stuck between styles in a fight and knocked out... williams needs to retire while he's ahead..
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 11 2011, 02:26 AM) *
Without a doubt, Emmanuel Steward. Steward works well with tall fighters like Williams, and instructs them to use the basics, the only thing Williams really needs. Look at what Steward done with Wlad, and even with Wlad, you see Steward get pissed off for not opening up, and not going for it.
He wouldn't have that problem with Williams, he could train him to fight tall like he is supposed to, but unlike Wlad, Williams wouldn't be afraid to open up and go for it when the time is right, and scared of getting hit, so it's perfect for Steward, and will have all the benefits he has got from guys like Wlad, except without the frustration.

I was thinking Steward at first, mostly because of the physical similarities with Williams and Hearns, but at this point of his career, it may be too late for him like JLUV mentioned above. Depending on how well Williams can follow instruction, I could see that matchup turning into a Jermaine Taylor like outcome with a fighter trying to fight against their instincts. Sad story when it comes to Paul Williams. A fighter that coulda been great but never made it there.
Allmenjoi8
Paul Williams does not need any help.... he has judges on his side
gravytrain
i don't even see how it's open to debate if he could turn it around. for one he only has a couple fights left and is on record saying he pretty much knows what he wants to do and it's get Martinez again and maybe another fight. this guy has no time to implement anything except getting punched in the face. secondly he time and time again says he's not changing anything no matter what and anything that happens to him is just a fluke. when Martinez laid him out he wasn't talking about changing anything, it's just "that's a good shot. i get hit with shots like that a lot though and they usually don't put me out".

D-MARV
I have been thinking about some things and there still hope for PWill. He needs to take a page out of Floyd Pacquiao's book and fight guys who are custom made for him. I know he look like straight shit last night but I think that had more to do with the opponent then it did for PWill. I defintely think that Martinez fucked him up pretty bad but PWill can still make a little noise in the 154lb division. They need to throw him in there with a couple of creampuffs to get his confidence up. Then he can fight someone like a Clottey or Angulo. I would still take PWill over Cotto if he had a few tune ups. My advice to PWill is to STAY AWAY from slick southpaws.

It's whatever though... PWill has been in some brutal wars and his last fight he took a brutal beating. If PWill continues... he needs to step back and work his way back up. Fighting Martinez now would be suicide.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 10 2011, 11:04 PM) *
I have been thinking about some things and there still hope for PWill. He needs to take a page out of Floyd Pacquiao's book and fight guys who are custom made for him. I know he look like straight shit last night but I think that had more to do with the opponent then it did for PWill. I defintely think that Martinez fucked him up pretty bad but PWill can still make a little noise in the 154lb division. They need to throw him in there with a couple of creampuffs to get his confidence up. Then he can fight someone like a Clottey or Angulo. I would still take PWill over Cotto if he had a few tune ups. My advice to PWill is to STAY AWAY from slick southpaws.

It's whatever though... PWill has been in some brutal wars and his last fight he took a brutal beating. If PWill continues... he needs to step back and work his way back up. Fighting Martinez now would be suicide.

marv... i think angulo would dent that chin again...
alaganza
No trainer can help him. Mentally and emotionally Paul has checked out. He doesn't seem like he has the "want to" anymore. Once any athlete loses desire and/or confidence they are done. Paul may have lost them both.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (alaganza @ Jul 10 2011, 11:21 PM) *
No trainer can help him. Mentally and emotionally Paul has checked out. He doesn't seem like he has the "want to" anymore. Once any athlete loses desire and/or confidence they are done. Paul may have lost them both.

yep. especially when he started talking about retiring after he got knocked out.
DubC
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 10 2011, 03:06 PM) *
i don't think anyone could. even if he brought in a new trainer he wouldn't have the time or commitment to really change. if he got with someone like Manny Steward awhile ago i think he would be a beast though.

I thought this while watching the fight...Its probably to late for him to change his style...If you would use his height and reach properly he would be in much better shape, especially with his activity...If Manny were tutoring him, and could show him how to turn over his punches instead of throwing a shit load of pittypat punches, he would be much better...Manny could have shown him how to use his height, and I know PWill doesn't have Hearns power, but with his activity, height\reach and learning to sit on his punches instead of throw a shit load of slaps that the judges seem to see as winning the cat fight could do him a lot of good...

He has 40 wins, with 27 of those via KO\TKO...Last person he stopped was a 40 year old Verno Phillips...He hasn't stopped anyone of relevance other than Qunitana (and he isn't actually very relevant IMO-only person he has fought of note recently was Berto and was TKO'd there too)

I think PWill is done, and not a threat anymore...He will be a gatekeeper, if he fights Maravilla again like he wants (not happening) he will get KO'd again be done with boxing...

And for the record, call me stupid, but I actually thought that PWill was going to be the person that could challenge Floyd (who just fought ODLH a couple months before)...The reach and activity (throwing like 1300 hundred punches against Marg 2 months later that the May\ODLH fight), I felt would have given May problems...

Paul is not what he was, or was he ever what some thought he could be? I think most enjoyed watching his fights, because it was non stop punching and is exciting as compared to the Wlad approach...Looking back, the toughest fighter he fought PRE Sergio was Margs...And Margs was supposed to be the shit that everyone said would destroy Money, and that May was ducking him...Floyd would have feasted on Margs, and his slow foot work...It would have been a boxing clinic...

Ok, Beer + Me + thinking about boxing = rambling much more than I planned...

So I will end here...PWill is done as a top attraction, he will stay on HBO Champ Boxing for a few more fights before he realizes that his style of fighting if not going to work...(Now back to the OP) Its probably too late for him to change his style, but if he wants to even attempt to become relevant the only trainer that could help him out and show him the proper way he should fight with his size and reach would be Steward...And it is highly doubtful that it will happen
Snoop
QUOTE (DubC @ Jul 11 2011, 07:39 AM) *
I thought this while watching the fight...Its probably to late for him to change his style...If you would use his height and reach properly he would be in much better shape, especially with his activity...If Manny were tutoring him, and could show him how to turn over his punches instead of throwing a shit load of pittypat punches, he would be much better...Manny could have shown him how to use his height, and I know PWill doesn't have Hearns power, but with his activity, height\reach and learning to sit on his punches instead of throw a shit load of slaps that the judges seem to see as winning the cat fight could do him a lot of good...

He has 40 wins, with 27 of those via KO\TKO...Last person he stopped was a 40 year old Verno Phillips...He hasn't stopped anyone of relevance other than Qunitana (and he isn't actually very relevant IMO-only person he has fought of note recently was Berto and was TKO'd there too)

I think PWill is done, and not a threat anymore...He will be a gatekeeper, if he fights Maravilla again like he wants (not happening) he will get KO'd again be done with boxing...

And for the record, call me stupid, but I actually thought that PWill was going to be the person that could challenge Floyd (who just fought ODLH a couple months before)...The reach and activity (throwing like 1300 hundred punches against Marg 2 months later that the May\ODLH fight), I felt would have given May problems...

Paul is not what he was, or was he ever what some thought he could be? I think most enjoyed watching his fights, because it was non stop punching and is exciting as compared to the Wlad approach...Looking back, the toughest fighter he fought PRE Sergio was Margs...And Margs was supposed to be the shit that everyone said would destroy Money, and that May was ducking him...Floyd would have feasted on Margs, and his slow foot work...It would have been a boxing clinic...

Ok, Beer + Me + thinking about boxing = rambling much more than I planned...

So I will end here...PWill is done as a top attraction, he will stay on HBO Champ Boxing for a few more fights before he realizes that his style of fighting if not going to work...(Now back to the OP) Its probably too late for him to change his style, but if he wants to even attempt to become relevant the only trainer that could help him out and show him the proper way he should fight with his size and reach would be Steward...And it is highly doubtful that it will happen

Solid first post, especially if you considered it "beer rambling."
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 10 2011, 09:26 PM) *

I agree with this. But Paul would have to spend some significant time with Steward to really change his style up.

Not trying to be mean, but watching that fight last night made me think that Williams must be one of the dumbest fighters ever. You would have thought after getting cracked repeatedly with that same straight left over and over again, PW would have at least brought his gloves up to block the damn punch.

With his reach and height, man I would have him killing people with a stiff hard jab.
DubC
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 11 2011, 01:06 AM) *
Solid first post, especially if you considered it "beer rambling."

Thank you. I am a fan of the sweet science and I have been on numerous forums for the last 5-6 years...But I rarely post, because I don't want to deal with the bullshit "Pactards, Flomos" and all the other names for other fighters...I am a fan of the sweet science, and would love to see the fight we all crave for-but I'm not going to turn this post\thread into that...

I have been a member and watched the forums on other sights for 5-6 years...I find it pointless to post there because all of the nut huggers fail to face the facts...They would rather lick their hero's balls than post something intelligent and contribute to the discussion...

Ben brings it real, straight from the fighters and those who surround them...Its real talk, and since I have found FightHype I am addicted...Many great posters on here, and for the most part the thread are great...Have a few nut huggers for certain fighters, but it is nothing like the other forums...And when those guys post they are put in their place...

We all Clamor for that "MegaFight" but this thread isn't about that, so I won't got there...

I will be posting a bit more, after viewing these threads for the last few months-and nice to see someone reply without bashing on what I posted earlier...Would like to know your thoughts on my views in that previous post...But thats probably not appropriate for this thread about Pwill and the trainer that could help him...

And I want to thank Ben for responding to the Email I sent to him, it is much appreciated...This is the best site for REAL insight to boxing, and words from the fights themselves...Not just random journalists with a full BAIT article that only has one of two actual quotes from the fighters...Thanks Ben, keep up the good work!

DubC
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 10 2011, 07:26 PM) *

You hit the nail on the head, great post!

HazConvictedFelonMane
I think P-Dub should just retire. He's smart if he lived simple and saved his money like Bob Papa said he did. There's no way to break him out of his habits. He has advantages but they seem to work against him. Against Cintron, he was throwing a southpaw straight to the body that found his head at waist level. When he returned, Cintron was there to counter him with hard right hooks. If the fight hadn't ended the way it did, Cintron would've KO'd P-Dub.
mrwigi
Of course, the first trainer that comes to mind is Manny Steward because he has trained a lot of tall fighter. But i also think Floyd Sr. could help him improve his defense.
alaganza
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jul 11 2011, 02:14 AM) *
yep. especially when he started talking about retiring after he got knocked out.

Exactly. I remember when Tarver touched Roy in the rematch. During the post fight interview Roy said he didn't know if he wanted to fight again.(or something to that effect) One of my friends said then that Roy was done. I told him he was wrong. Then Roy got touched in the next fight even worse. Now Roy travels the world getting beat up on a weekly basis.

I guess the point is Roy lost both confidence and desire with one shot. Then he went from being one of the most talented prize fighters of this generation to a resume stuffer.
zucrates
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 11 2011, 02:31 AM) *
I agree with this. But Paul would have to spend some significant time with Steward to really change his style up.

Not trying to be mean, but watching that fight last night made me think that Williams must be one of the dumbest fighters ever. You would have thought after getting cracked repeatedly with that same straight left over and over again, PW would have at least brought his gloves up to block the damn punch.

With his reach and height, man I would have him killing people with a stiff hard jab.

What about Anne Wolfe because he needs some serious rebuilding friends.gif
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 10 2011, 08:53 PM) *
DLH? lol. like that's anything more than DLH just choosing to work with him. you can't possibly try to tell me Dawson has only looked bad because of Mayweather not being in his corner either. i would have taken Eddie Mustafa Muhhamad over him any day.

he did a lot of good for Hatton though, right? he's producing a lot of champions too.

Well, Chad handed Adamek his last loss while under Floyd. Chad hasn't done shit of substance since. Adamek, OTOH, has gone from 175 all the way up to Heavyweight and made plenty of noise along the way.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that Chad is gonna look even worse under Steward...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 10 2011, 08:53 PM) *

Fernando Vargas?
caneman
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 11 2011, 11:07 AM) *
Well, Chad handed Adamek his last loss while under Floyd. Chad hasn't done shit of substance since. Adamek, OTOH, has gone from 175 all the way up to Heavyweight and made plenty of noise along the way.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that Chad is gonna look even worse under Steward...

Actually he was with McGirt then, no?
Cshel86
The only person that can help him at this point is Floyd Sr (in my opinion). I say that because Paul is stubborn as hell, and the most Floyd Sr can do is show that overgrown freak how to use his right shoulder to at least roll a left hand (which he is a sucker for). Almost every fighter that I saw him train, did decent with the shoulder roll (Oscar De La Hoya). As a matter of fact, whoever Paul spars and does padwork with, needs to wrap a brick around their left hand and see if he isn't lazy enough to avoid it

I was all for Paul and his trainer saying that they haven't changed anything since the Martinez fight. I only agreed because I thought it was a ploy to make Lara use that left hand wrecklessly and run into a bear trap while trying to land it on Williams. Sadly, Paul showed us that they really DIDN'T change anything, and he was a sitting duck all night, smh. There was no need to make a strong request for a 3rd Martinez fight because of his half-ass performance Saturday. We all know that he is going to have to fight somebody just a bit better than Lara in order to prove that he's ready for Martinez. I didn't even want to see him fight anybody else after Saturday, smh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.