Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brandon "Bam Bam" Rios
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingWizard23
Hello, fellow boxing fans. Today I want to make a post about Brandon Rios. He looked beast against Urbano this past weekend even if the guy was tailor made for him he beat him worse than Humberto Soto did and on top of that KO'd him.
Rios has a great chin, decent jab, nice upper cuts, KO power in both hands, overwhelming pressure style, has a nice inside game and can have average defense when he chooses to (only goes out on his shield when he knows he can walk through his opponents shots). This all equals to an exciting fighter, he is still inexperienced but has developed some in his last couple of signature fights.

He was the first to defeat Anthony Peterson who is good in my opinion, he beat a game Omri Lawther in 3 weeks notice as a replacement and KO'd him, and then he KO'd in a FOTY candidate a good fighter in Miguel Acosta which saw Rios digging deep to come back in the 2nd half of the fight after being outboxed for the first half. Then he fought a world class champion and always game Urbano Antillon and knocked him out in a unexpected short war.

Rios to me is at the top of the 135 pound division. The best all are occupied starting with Marquez fighting his tune up to finally quench his obsessive thirst to fight Pacman 1 more time at near the end of this year, then Guerrero is geared up to fight Maidana at his debut in the deepest division in boxing at 140 next month, Humberto Soto has been accused for ducking Rios for quite some time now and it seems even more evident with his subpar to average opposition he's been facing lately especially with the unexpected move up to 140 and leaving his belt vacant.

This leaves Rios to fight Miguel Vazquez for the IBF title which I think Vazquez has the tools to propose some problems boxing wise to Rios but he doesn't have the power to keep Rios off him, I mean look at Acosta who is a power boxer and he hits harder than Vasquez and he still couldn't do enough to close the show but have Rios KO him. I see the fight Rios winning with a KO. Michael Katsidis is also busy with a fight at the moment and I see Rios stopping him early as he is prone to cuts look at his last fights and Rios hits harder than Guerrero and Marquez. I would love to see Rios fight John Molina it would be a nice fight while it lasted I also see Rios closing the show with his overwhelming pressure style in 8 rounds. And last but very well least Jorge Linares which I see him getting destroyed by Rios who will be the bigger, stronger, and harder hitting man who will stop Linares in under 5 rounds.

Rios who struggled to make 135 in his latest fight against Urbano will be looking to move up also in the deepest division in boxing at 140 along with his former 135 world champion counterparts soon. But I believe essentially this all makes Rios the king at 135 most of his last fights before Urbano was against good boxers and he beat them without no mercy. With Rios moving up I believe this will make him stronger since he boils down to 135 and he already probably walks around at 145 regularly before any time he fights. I see Rios improving under the tutelage of Robert Garcia who is a superb trainer in my opinion. I hope Arum lets Rios fight GB fighters at 140 because I would love to see a Rios vs Maidana or a Rios vs Lucas Matthysse fight heck maybe a Guerrero fight as well. All I know Rios has a bright future ahead of him but that nonsese Bob was talking at the post fight conference was utterly disggraceful. The same man who said Pacman is the greatest ever and was better than Ali now says Rios is faster than him?? SMH..well Rios you have everything in place just not your promoter.
Sicko
Big fan of Rios, he is tough as hell, I have seen people say on other Forums "HE IS NOT THAT GOOD" "HE CAN BE OUT-BOXED" "HE IS SLOW" blah blah blah

but I watched him against some pretty good boxers in Anthony Peterson and Miguel Acosta, one thing he does well against faster fighters...IS CUT THE RING OFF!!! To me that makes up for his lack of speed and footwork, the fact that he can eat shots to get to his opponent and then do damage once he does corner them, he was able to break Peterson and Acosta down slowly but surely, both was out-boxing him early but then he battled back against both and BROKE THEM BOTH mentally and physically
caneman
I like Rios a lot and will be keeping my eye out for him and my sleeper @ 135 and 140, Robert Guerrero! 2 guys that could end up fighting someday!
The CEO
I hear that, Cane...Rios and Guerrero would be a sweet matchup...both of those guys are doing America and Mexico proud....

As of right NOW, I would take Rios due to an early softness in The Ghost's career...but if Guerrero keeps improving, he definitely has the skills, style, and technique to beat him...the antidote to Rios' venom if you will...
caneman
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 13 2011, 07:20 PM) *
I hear that, Cane...Rios and Guerrero would be a sweet matchup...both of those guys are doing America and Mexico proud....

As of right NOW, I would take Rios due to an early softness in The Ghost's career...but if Guerrero keeps improving, he definitely has the skills, style, and technique to beat him...the antidote to Rios' venom if you will...

I believe that softness is behind The Ghost and you will see it in his next fight vs Maidana. He is gonna shine on that night and put himself in the center of 140 lb mix! Mark my words!
The CEO
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 13 2011, 08:28 PM) *
I believe that softness is behind The Ghost and you will see it in his next fight vs Maidana. He is gonna shine on that night and put himself in the center of 140 lb mix! Mark my words!

Oh me too...you can't be soft and handle Katsidis the way he did...he's matured and believes in himself....same goes for Rios.

I'd like to see him stop Maidana and make a statement.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 13 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Oh me too...you can't be soft and handle Katsidis the way he did...he's matured and believes in himself....same goes for Rios.

I'd like to see him stop Maidana and make a statement.

Guerrero should be able to beat Maidana and if he KO's him it would most definitely put him in the middle of the mix of the 140 pounders. Rios will be stronger in the 140 division than in 135 since he is a big lightweight. Rios vs Maidana would be a instant classic. I want to see Guerrero vs The Terrorist
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.