Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Danny Green vs Antonio Tarver
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Fitz
Thoughts?

Tarver's camp already showing concern about Green's 'wraps', and accusing him of having 'plaster of Paris' laugh.gif

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/box...r-1226095580212

HOSTILITIES in the fight game took a turn for the genuine yesterday when Antonio Tarver's trainer, Buddy McGirt, suggested Danny Green might be loading his gloves with illegal plaster of Paris.

Tarver has promised he will walk out of their IBO cruiserweight title fight as late as when the fighters are being gloved up if he believes Green's hands are illegally wrapped.

The accusation has brought a fresh edge to the tension between the fighters ahead of Wednesday's fight at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

McGirt was called in to prepare Tarver only two weeks ago and said one of his chief responsibilities is to ensure nothing illegal occurs in the dressing room.

"The first thing I am going to do," McGirt said yesterday, picking up a napkin, "is go to his wraps and go like that."

He snapped the napkin.

"If there's dust, the fight's off," he said. "And I want to see the gloves come out of the plastic bag in the dressing room.

"You can't tell me 'We took them out down the hall'. As Antonio says, 'If they do, bye, bye, we're going home'. If it don't happen, kiss our ass on Star Search, we're goin' home."

McGirt is in Australia after Tarver called him to say he needed him.

Since arriving, McGirt has taken calls from Roy Jones Jr - who Green beat in 2009 and who promotes McGirt's son, Buddy Jr - telling him to be careful.

He said others have called too, including some associated with another Green opponent, BJ Flores. Flores demanded two officials attend while Green's hands were wrapped before their fight.

"When I told people I was coming here everybody has been calling me saying watch this, watch that, don't trust them, don't do this, don't do that," McGirt said.

Jones went back to America after his first round knock out claiming Green's hands were illegally wrapped. He has also claimed Green's wraps were covered in plaster of Paris, and he filed a complaint with the NSW Combat Sports Authority demanding an independent investigation. His handlers had originally complained before the fight about Green's wraps, forcing them to again be inspected and ruled legal, with Green claiming it was an attempt to unsettle him.

There has never been any evidence provided or even considered that Green did anything illegal.

A sprinkle of dust from Green's wraps, as McGirt fears, would suggest that plaster of Paris which, once inside the glove and when the hands start to sweat - if not with a little added water, to quicken the affect - soon solidify into a plaster cast like that used to protect broken limbs.

"If they want to get too cagey and start causing unnecessary drama for no reason, then dust and moths will be flying out of their wallets," Green said.

Green is irritated by the accusation, but not surprised. Two years ago Antonio Margarito was caught with loaded hand wraps in the dressing room before fighting Shane Mosley for the WBA welterweight title. Mosley's trainer Naazim Richardson caught the cheating during wrapping and Margarito, after a hiding by Mosley, was later suspended.

The most famous incidence of dressingroom bastardy involved trainer, "Panama" Al Lewis, who was suspended for life after removing stuffing from Luis Resto's gloves against Billy Collins in 1983, Resto later also revealing his wraps were also laced with plaster of Paris.

So long as no dust sprinkles from Green's wraps and the fight goes ahead, Green (31-3) should prove too strong for Tarver (28-6) and become the first to stop him.

However McGirt said Tarver is more focused for this fight than he has been in recent fights and promises to attack Green's greatest weakness, angles.

"We're gonna make him think he's on a merry-go-round," McGirt said.

So he says Flores told him about it, even though in the next sentence, he said that Flores had officials watch Green wrap his hands. So what does Flores have to do with this, or warn him about. When he said he got officials to watch Green wrap?

All of this is based on Jones allegations after the fight. He is the only one, haha. Talk about a storm in a tea cup.
STEVENSKI
Just typical bullshit. There has never been any evidence whatsoever Green has cheated with wraps or anything else. Roy just could not handle getting stopped in a minute & would tell any lie to draw eyes away from his complete & total lack of a chin.

I am not a big fan of Green but I hope he knocks Bubba into tomorrow.
JLUVBABY
im hoping green brutalizes tarver too... would love to see that take place...
caneman
Anyone surprised @ these stats? Honestly the thigh of Tarver does surprise me 29 1/2 is huge! Tarver is bigger or as big in every stats! wow!

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/green-tarv...0023#more-90023
JONdaCON817
damn.. didnt even realize Tarver was that much bigger..
STEVENSKI
The stats seem a bit strange. Tarver is bigger in every way than Green yet they weigh the same? Green must have titanium bones or some shit?
Mean Mister Mustard
These guys are in their late thirties/early forties, but both have a lot of experience and can crack. I'll be looking forward to this one.
caneman
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 16 2011, 08:31 PM) *
The stats seem a bit strange. Tarver is bigger in every way than Green yet they weigh the same? Green must have titanium bones or some shit?

I actually don't believe that 29 1/2" on the thighs after thinking about it...his waist is only 5 1/2" bigger? NO WAY THAT IS RIGHT AND I DON'T NEED A TAPE TO KNOW IT'S WRONG OR RIGHT!!!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 16 2011, 09:52 PM) *
I actually don't believe that 29 1/2" on the thighs after thinking about it...his waist is only 5 1/2" bigger? NO WAY THAT IS RIGHT AND I DON'T NEED A TAPE TO KNOW IT'S WRONG OR RIGHT!!!

i was thinking that same thing when i saw that number rando...
Lil-lightsout
I can not believe I am rooting for Tarver in this fight. I did not see his last fight, but here's hoping he is better prepared this time around.
Hops
Fuck! Sooner or later we'll have undetectable plaster! Then someone will ask the opponent for wraps testing by a certified US laboratory.
D-MARV
Danny Green is a juicer!

I hope Tarver knocks his fucking block off.
JLUVBABY
tarver is whippin green right now... hope he dont lose stamina... knocked him down in the 2nd...
JLUVBABY
end of round 6 and tarver is busting up danny green pretty good with the jab... looking pretty good outboxing him thus far... i havent gave green a round yet...
JLUVBABY
green came alive in round 7 and landed some nice shots.. first round ive given him...
JLUVBABY
round 8 is open... coulda gone either way...
JLUVBABY
green was out on his feet at the end of round 9.... wait... they just stopped it... tarver tko end of round 9 danny green.... lol... cruiserweight is def tarvers weight he should be at... he looked prety damn good...
Mean Mister Mustard
Just caught some footage. Tarver did look good but let's remember Green's no spring chicken either. Still, good win for the Magic Man, who is sure to add some spice to the division.
D-MARV
From what I heard, The Magic Man brought Danny Green back to reality... A thorough spanking.

Thank You Tarver! Hopefully Green retires for good this time.

STEVENSKI
Not that I really care but I hope some one puts a thourough beating on that bubble gum lipped Al Jolson milk dudded muthafucka.

At least he smashed Green good n proper & I did not waste my money or time watching another joke of a fight.
The CEO
I caught it from Round 5....Tarver was inspired in there...I knew that's all it would take...

Did you get in on the parlay, MARV?

Come onnnn, Judah.
STEVENSKI
Hope you were smart CEO & took the lightning in a bottle. Run as far as you can from Judah mate.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 20 2011, 09:21 AM) *
I caught it from Round 5....Tarver was inspired in there...I knew that's all it would take...

Did you get in on the parlay, MARV?

Come onnnn, Judah.

I did not do the parlay... I don't have much confidence in Judah... I dropped 25 on Tarver, so I picked up about 60 bucks!
The CEO
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2011, 09:26 AM) *
Hope you were smart CEO & took the lightning in a bottle. Run as far as you can from Judah mate.

Don't worry, STEVENS...I won't rub it in on you if Judah wins....although I should after your unnecessary rant...lol

I put $38 on it for $511...

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 20 2011, 09:27 AM) *
I did not do the parlay... I don't have much confidence in Judah... I dropped 25 on Tarver, so I picked up about 60 bucks!

Shame....I didn't have too much confidence in Tarver, and you see what happened...it could hit.
JLUVBABY
i havent seen the official cards but ive read that the judges had him down in the fight at the time of the stoppage... no way tarver was down... he lost 2 rounds at most in that fight... he was on the way to a robbery had he not brought his own judge and jury.... i talk shit bout the guy but im glad he won this one... they was gonna fuck him and i dont wanna see nobody lose like that...
caneman
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 20 2011, 05:22 PM) *
i havent seen the official cards but ive read that the judges had him down in the fight at the time of the stoppage... no way tarver was down... he lost 2 rounds at most in that fight... he was on the way to a robbery had he not brought his own judge and jury.... i talk shit bout the guy but im glad he won this one... they was gonna fuck him and i dont wanna see nobody lose like that...

From what I am seeing it was time: 3:00 | referee: Howard John Foster | 88-84 | 88-84 | 88-84 for Tarver per boxrec!

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=...3&cat=boxer
JLUVBABY
well caneman just corrected me... he wasnt down... he was up 88-84... i got bad news earlier aparently... thanks rando...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 20 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Don't worry, STEVENS...I won't rub it in on you if Judah wins....although I should after your unnecessary rant...lol

I put $38 on it for $511...

Shame....I didn't have too much confidence in Tarver, and you see what happened...it could hit.

Damn I knew I should have listened to you. It's easy to see now, but I should have known with Tarver's SKILL he would do this.

Judah I am not sure about.
D-MARV
Just saw the whole fight on youtube and enjoyed every minute of it. The fight was over in round 2... Green got caught and turned bitch immediately! I didn't think Tarver looked all that special in there, he was just in there with a "C" fighter at best. Whatever though... I'm glad Green got his ass kicked!
SmartyBeardo
Antonio Tarver sits a bunch of us down. He was special enough.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Tarver actually looked pretty good although it's fair to say Danny Green isn't that special. His weight looked good, his activity level looked good and his punch sleection was crisp and precise. I wouldn't mind seeing Haye come back down to fight him or even Toney if James could get his fat ass in shape.
Lil-lightsout
Okay so I just watched two video's on youtube of the ending of the fights. I am very perplexed at what I saw from two different video's. Please watch them both and can anyone explain to me why the second clip shows both fighters in opposite stances. I understand something to do with the camera, but if you look closely it just looks like they are using their opposite hands. It is hard to explain but please watch and see if you see what I am saying. My nephew and me just watched them and can not figure it out. I mean looking at the second link I just can not figure it out. Like in the first link at the end of the round Tarver nails Green with a monster straight left and his head goes through the ropes and Green throws a missing right hand bomb in return. BUT watching the second link they are using opposite hands.

1st link-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZlTo984PY

2nd link-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3nYpdbsko8
BoxingWizard23
Tarver vs Cunningham ASAP or David Haye next
JLUVBABY
id like to see tarver take out the over hyped ledbedev... if washed up roy jones can come that close to beating him tarver should get that win...
STEVENSKI
I will say this about Green. He gave his all & lost. Nothing to feel shame about with that unlike that other 1/2 white cunt who fights cab drivers.
ViperSniper
Was at the fight and enjoyed it very much, the atmosphere was great!

Green didn't look great in the ring and I think the 1st round where he fell against the ropes (should have been a KD) surprised him and then in the following round where Tarver did score a KD I think that set Green his game off. From that point on Green was fighting more cautious which turned his game to countering along the ropes which was his biggest mistake in the fight. He was not going to beat Tarver at his own game, he was going to have fight his own game and pressure the older fighter. I think Tarver southpaw stance didn't sit well for The Green machin either. Green did have his small moments, specially in the 7th or 8th where he was landing some right hands. Tarver doesn't like it to the body and Green showed that at times and should have stuck with that!

Antonio Tarver looked pretty good inside the ring, he uses what he has well.. His shots were surprisingly having an effect on Green early in the fight and was having his way by walking Green down and timing his shots when Green would be waiting along the ropes. Tarver would be busy with the jab and was throwing some serious shots and occasionally landing them but overall keep the distance well and was busy enough to not allow Green to turn the situations around.

The final round saw Green appearing tired, taking alot of solid shots along the ropes that he had no answer for. At the time I thought the ref stopped the fight, to only see the round end with Green not looking so fresh thinking it was the 12th round.

I'm not gonna lie, I lost my shit big time as soon as the fight was over, seeing Tarver jump along the ropes! I have never liked Tarver one bit and I wanted to really see him get a beating or layed out in the flesh by Green, who I have a lot of respect for and has been a good overachiever over the years for what he has.

Although this may have not been a significant fight, leading up to the fight I felt it was a very decent fight for the two considering where both are at in their career and what they were coming off! This is a decent win for Tarver who came to a hostile environment, coming off a disgusting career high weight to outclass a very tough, powerful fighter who fights hard and has shown to not lay down for anyone.

Overall I really enjoyed going to the fight, had solid fights on the undercard and the mainevent although a little one sided was a decent fight I enjoyed very much!

Tarver should target Cunningham or Lebedev and if Green decides to fight on he should fight Cameron or Lebedev!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jul 22 2011, 06:42 PM) *
I have never liked Tarver one bit

because he exposed RJJ thumbsup_anim.gif
D-MARV
Neither fighter looked particularly good in this fight. That was the same Tarver who was schooled by Dawson. I never thought highly of Green, he just fought somebody with a pulse and he got thoroughly spanked. I guess you can call it a good win... I'm sure Tarver made some good money off the fight and it was nice to see Green stumble around aimlessly at the end of the 9th. He really thought the fight was over, LOL.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 22 2011, 09:22 AM) *
because he exposed RJJ thumbsup_anim.gif

No..he just boosted Roy's decline even faster.

Anyways, that's a good enough reason for me not to like the arrogant, loudmouthed bastard! laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
ive talked shit on tarver and i think sniper says it best the reason why... his arrogance is very easy to hate to say he once labeled himself the king of the rematches... lol... if he didnt get em the first time the second would be the charm... and that turned out to be true cuzz when you bring up rjj, jones could have left his junkie ass alone after the first fight and walked away, ala lennox lewis, if he had any sense (@stevenski... lol... just saying)... but that aside i found myself rooting for tarver in that green fight.... why?... i cant explain... i think its because he seems to have been humbled by hopkins who put him in his place and the fact that he for a while seemed to not have a home division anymore... lol... with that said cruiserweight may be the division for him... not saying he is king of the division but he is def top 5 to 10 with that 1 fight... like ive been saying i hope ledbedev is next for him...
neophyte7
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 20 2011, 09:52 PM) *
Antonio Tarver sits a bunch of us down. He was special enough.

haha.. Beardo how good is that win for a 40 plus Tarver???
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 22 2011, 10:14 AM) *
I think you were taking the fight too seriously. Nobody is saying this is a different Tarver to the one that faced Dawson. The fact is, people knew Tarver was getting older, he lost widely to Dawson, moved up to heavyweight, and looked fat and ordinary. I think at this point, people knew Tarver's career seemed to be at the cross roads, especially after his heavyweight fight.
Green on the other hand is a very tough and solid C to B- type of fighter. Tarver came into his backyard, was an underdog because people thought he was old and done, and won impressively. If you take the fight for what it was, it was a very impressive performance.
If you weren't impressed because you are comparing them to top 10 type of fighters, you probably took the fight to seriously. It was what it was, a similar situation to Morales-Maidana. A pretty good career win I think for a guy at the tail end of his career.

I wasn't taking the fight seriously... I just keep hearing how good Tarver looked and I didn't think he looked all that great. Green is just a C level fighter.

Edit: I will say this... I didn't expect a stoppage.
AussieLad
I had a feeling that Green was making a big mistake in taking tarver. Green was tailor made for Tarvers style.
Method
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 22 2011, 09:53 PM) *
Went DownUnder and got that shit done. Not much else to say but - job well done.

Yup. Im not the biggest Tarver fan, but good for him. Bringing one back for the Stars n Bars (no offense, Aussie bros.).

I got completely caught off guard by the fckn timing of that fight.
STEVENSKI
This was really a combination of both fighters being past their best & Tarver coming to Australia was the best option he had available to make good money. Nowhere else was he gonna get $1.5M for his efforts.

This was a good fight ionsofar as it gave average Aussie fight fans a chance to see a "great" American match it with a well liked Aussie PPV attraction.

Worked out well for all concerned & Green would have made 5x what Tarver did so it is not like he took a beating for nothing.

The only bad thing about it was Buddy showing his complete lack of class in the leadup to the fight but I suppose some leeway should be given for a ingorant fuck whose greatest contribution to boxing was telling Gatti to jab with Mayweather.
Big Slim Sweet
This fight made me happy. I've always been one of the few around here who actually liked Antonio Tarver. I get why others can't stand him, but he doesn't bother me. He talks a great game and authored one of the greatest moments in boxing history with his 'any excuses tonight' monologue.

He reminds me of Willie Mays Hayes from Major League. Arrogant, pompous, delusional, and black as night.
D-MARV
I never really hated Tarver... Even as a Roy Jones fan, I had nothing but the utmost respect for Tarver. What he did the other night really turned me into a fan. I loved every moment of that fight. There is talk of a rematch and I for one hope they make it. I will really enjoy watching Green get his ass handed to him again. Next time I hope it ends with Green unconscious.
AussieLad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 23 2011, 04:19 PM) *
This was really a combination of both fighters being past their best & Tarver coming to Australia was the best option he had available to make good money. Nowhere else was he gonna get $1.5M for his efforts.

This was a good fight ionsofar as it gave average Aussie fight fans a chance to see a "great" American match it with a well liked Aussie PPV attraction.

Worked out well for all concerned & Green would have made 5x what Tarver did so it is not like he took a beating for nothing.
The only bad thing about it was Buddy showing his complete lack of class in the leadup to the fight but I suppose some leeway should be given for a ingorant fuck whose greatest contribution to boxing was telling Gatti to jab with Mayweather.

I was reading that Green only broke even on this fight. So maybe he did take a beating for nothing, even less than nothing now his belt is gone.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 24 2011, 07:58 AM) *
I was reading that Green only broke even on this fight. So maybe he did take a beating for nothing, even less than nothing now his belt is gone.

I doubt that. I really do.
AussieLad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 24 2011, 01:57 AM) *
I doubt that. I really do.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/box...r-1226099438943

"Despite providing arguably the best card in Australian boxing for years - and once again displaying the courage which has won him a legion of fans - early estimates suggest Green would've struggled to break even after outlaying $1.3 million to bring Tarver Down Under.

"But right now money is the least of my concerns," the father-of-two said. "Yes, I paid out a lot of money because the bloke deserved it. Some people overlook that.

"To ensure this fight took place, I basically put my house on the line. It meant so much to me and that's why I'm gutted."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.