Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of Floyd's new style?? (via Mosley fight)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
BoxingWizard23
I think Floyd matured his boxing style into what we saw in his last fight. He didn't stick and move and stay with a jab all night to cruise to a comfortable decision. No, he did something that majority of his critics said he wouldn't do...be the pressure fighter and push the offence. Mayweather didn't sit on the back foot instead he sat flat footed toe to toe with a man who has KO power. To me it was exciting now don't get me wrong I think watching Floyd period is interesting based on my love of the sweet science of boxing. But Floyd that night brought an offence that we haven't seen since the Gatti fight. Some say it's because Floyd wanted to be the first to KO Shane, others say it's because the critics said he runs too much, and I would say is because he wanted prove that he can make a fight exciting in the ring.

He used a turtle shell/peek a boo mixed with ear muffs defensive stance to trap and bait Mosley in for a sweet counter left hook to neutralize Mosley's feint's and weak jabs. Or the classic pull counter when Mosley tries to go for the head too easy. Mayweather's style is an enigma, Shane thought Floyd wasn't going to be the one pushing the fight he trained to bring the fight to Mayweather which played to Floyd's hands. I can tell if Mosley didn't have the chin he had he probably would have gotten KO'd or TKO'd. Mayweather was throwing more shots than 3 of his last fight combined in that 1 fight(joking) but seperate yes. In round 10 he was close to putting down Mosley as he hit him with a nasty bodyshot that had Mosley off the back foot for the rest of the round.

I would love to see this style more often in his future fights. I'm not sure if it would be wise to use this style against someone like Ortiz but we'll see. Floyd shocked many with that type of performance and since he adapts you'll never know which Mayweather will come to box or bang.

P.S. I am aboxing fan first, Floyd fan 2nd.
ChadSaysTakeTheTest
This is what makes Floyd such a tremendous talent. If the pressure style isn't working for him during the fight he can switch to the turtle shell style you mentioned. This is when he becomes so smart and so ellusive. It's like he can see every punch coming . This style of fighting is so slick and elusive it reminds me almost of like an elegant swan..or a flawless ballerina. Getting a bit carried away hut no wonder he was on dancing with the stars! LOL. Back to the point, I agree with you one hundred percent that he was bringing the pressure to Mosley, if you watch closely Mosley was very hesitant, like he didn't know whether to throw or defend. Anyways, have you ever heard Floyd say that he "never watches film on his opponents" when preparing for a fight? And reason being because he "can adapt to any style" once he's in the ring? I truly believe these statements. He's was not only groomed by his uncle and father from the time he was a child, but has a god given talent that no other fighter has. Floyd defines the sweet science of boxing.
PhoenixE3
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jul 17 2011, 01:20 AM) *
I think Floyd matured his boxing style into what we saw in his last fight. He didn't stick and move and stay with a jab all night to cruise to a comfortable decision. No, he did something that majority of his critics said he wouldn't do...be the pressure fighter and push the offence. Mayweather didn't sit on the back foot instead he sat flat footed toe to toe with a man who has KO power. To me it was exciting now don't get me wrong I think watching Floyd period is interesting based on my love of the sweet science of boxing. But Floyd that night brought an offence that we haven't seen since the Gatti fight. Some say it's because Floyd wanted to be the first to KO Shane, others say it's because the critics said he runs too much, and I would say is because he wanted prove that he can make a fight exciting in the ring.

He used a turtle shell/peek a boo mixed with ear muffs defensive stance to trap and bait Mosley in for a sweet counter left hook to neutralize Mosley's feint's and weak jabs. Or the classic pull counter when Mosley tries to go for the head too easy. Mayweather's style is an enigma, Shane thought Floyd wasn't going to be the one pushing the fight he trained to bring the fight to Mayweather which played to Floyd's hands. I can tell if Mosley didn't have the chin he had he probably would have gotten KO'd or TKO'd. Mayweather was throwing more shots than 3 of his last fight combined in that 1 fight(joking) but seperate yes. In round 10 he was close to putting down Mosley as he hit him with a nasty bodyshot that had Mosley off the back foot for the rest of the round.

I would love to see this style more often in his future fights. I'm not sure if it would be wise to use this style against someone like Ortiz but we'll see. Floyd shocked many with that type of performance and since he adapts you'll never know which Mayweather will come to box or bang.

not really a new style...he's always had offense like this...when he moved up in weight, yea guys are bigger so he will be more vulnerable to their shots since they weigh more so he became more defensive...go back and look at his fights against corley...judah...sharmba mitchell...he was more agressive against southpaws than against orthodox fighters (and when one is more agressive their more open to shots they dont see which is why they landed those shots and why people all of a sudden got it in their heads he has trouble with leftys) look at his fight with gatti...philip ndou...emmanuel augustus...look at his career up until he moved up to 147...he was a whole lot more offensive...people who didnt see the part of his career before he moved to 147 think he's just been defensive...when he 1st started he was droppin people in early rounds getting KO victories by round 6...i mean moving up in weight you gotta be more defensive or else you're gettin dropped by the bigger guys...just because floyd decided to shut people up who were saying he's purely defensive doesnt mean he developed a new style...he just showed more during that fight of what we saw from him in the past...thats all
E.C.LEGEND
I'm agreeing with the new guy
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 17 2011, 05:12 PM) *
They love to say this, haha.

PS I am a boxing fan first & a Floyd hater 2nd. Just so you know Fitz.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jul 16 2011, 11:20 PM) *

Ahh great, finally another Floyd Jr thread. Awesome because we were really lacking here with the Floyd threads. Lol, we get it already you guys, YOU love mayweather. He is the greatest thing to happen in your boxing life. Now take a step back, remove his...Ahh forget it. Just keep doing what you like to do to him.
leonthegee
Floyd has had the chance to grow into his weight class. Hes put on more muscle and is the bigger man in the ring now. Also since bringing his father back hes used his jab more frequently.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 17 2011, 07:10 AM) *
Ahh great, finally another Floyd Jr thread. Awesome because we were really lacking here with the Floyd threads. Lol, we get it already you guys, YOU love mayweather. He is the greatest thing to happen in your boxing life. Now take a step back, remove his...Ahh forget it. Just keep doing what you like to do to him.

I do not understand why asking a question about a boxer causes issues. Floyd will be fighting soon, so this is a relavent. When you talk about basketball three names will always be mentioned. LeBrone James, Kobe Bryant, and Jordan. No matter what the topic of conversation is. It is how things are, when you talk about a sport you mention the great ones of the past and current. You do not have to be jocking the guy just because you mentioned him or his style. It was a good question and if you are so sick of Floyd threads easy solution do not read it or post. And is it wrong to state that May is this man's or woman's favorite boxer? If it was Bute would you have a problem? People kill me with this.... then what is even worse you have to get sexual with it.... my goodness. So I guess people who will go see the fight and pay for are stans too? Ben Thompson must be Floyd gay lover according to you geez grow up

Castillo 1&2 is the most aggressive I had seen Flod fight. People like to mention the Hatton fight but Castillo bought all sides out with Floyd. Against Shane he just simply played all his cards to show everyone he can do it either way at the same time need be. My favorite fight Floyd ever had was against Zab, great performance of talent. And its okay is you are a May fan.... mostp people are
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jul 17 2011, 02:20 AM) *

Like Phoenix said, not really a new style, but I do admit that it was surprising to see him press the action against Mosley. Every time the ref would separate them, you would see Mayweather keep his eyes on Mosley, and only take a little step back before jumping right on him again. He looked like a pressure fighter and it would not surprise me to see him fight Ortiz that way after 4-5 rounds.

By the way, Ortiz is going to be eating right hooks all night.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 17 2011, 09:07 AM) *
By the way, Ortiz is going to be eating right hooks all night.

We are going to see a lot of right hands I think in this fight.

Though I don't think tact is going to be stand toe to toe with Ortiz and he wants us to believe. In fact, I think he is going to set traps, and counter most of the night... I see jabs early, counter mid rounds, and pressure late....

This is not going to be easy for Floyed, I actually see this being more difficult than the Pac fight IMO....

iKeNjiro
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jul 17 2011, 03:20 PM) *

Find it funny you have to write this
shame actually but yea

Floyd walked him down an beat that ass as i mentioned I believe he is to old to move to much
He'll burn energy faster as he is older.
People say Floyd is boring an runs, but Floyd when younger moved when he had to an sat in the pocket when he needed to.
Cshel86
I actually prefer watching his fights at 130, 135, and 140. Besides the Gatti fight at 140, Floyd's biggest fights were at Welterweight. He was definitely a sight to see at the smaller weights and seemed invincible. The Mosley was nothing more than a well executed display of adjustments and and putting pressure on Shane. His next fight may be a challenge for the first 4 rounds possibly, but if Ortiz doesn't do what he needs to do during those rounds, then he can hang it up for the night. Those are Mayweather's adjustment rounds, as we all know. I watched Berto/Ortiz for the 10th time yesterday, and Berto gave the fight away by putting the basics on the back burner. When he had Ortiz hurt in the 6th round, he rushed and wasted valuable punches along with failing to go to the body (all night long).

We can all count on Floyd using his jab (all night), doing body work (all night), along with outsmarting Ortiz throughout the fight. Ortiz is a great fighter, but Floyd will simply slow him down by making him THINK all night long...something he usually doesn't have to do. Everybody he's (Ortiz) fought has been bringing the fight to him and been there to get hit. The minute that Victor starts thinking more than he usually has to, he will forget that he's in a fight and ultimately be out of it.

Im mad that they are fighting for a belt, I wish that it wasn't a title fight. Now, Mayweather will win the belt and end up getting stripped for it for not defending it in a reasonable time frame. I have never saw an official titleholder be off over a year and still be the champ. Now, the belt will in rotation and some bum or "made-to-be" fighter will be crowned champ (i.e. Chavez Jr, Alvarez).
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Jul 17 2011, 12:21 PM) *
I actually prefer watching his fights at 130, 135, and 140. Besides the Gatti fight at 140, Floyd's biggest fights were at Welterweight. He was definitely a sight to see at the smaller weights and seemed invincible. The Mosley was nothing more than a well executed display of adjustments and and putting pressure on Shane. His next fight may be a challenge for the first 4 rounds possibly, but if Ortiz doesn't do what he needs to do during those rounds, then he can hang it up for the night. Those are Mayweather's adjustment rounds, as we all know. I watched Berto/Ortiz for the 10th time yesterday, and Berto gave the fight away by putting the basics on the back burner. When he had Ortiz hurt in the 6th round, he rushed and wasted valuable punches along with failing to go to the body (all night long).

We can all count on Floyd using his jab (all night), doing body work (all night), along with outsmarting Ortiz throughout the fight. Ortiz is a great fighter, but Floyd will simply slow him down by making him THINK all night long...something he usually doesn't have to do. Everybody he's (Ortiz) fought has been bringing the fight to him and been there to get hit. The minute that Victor starts thinking more than he usually has to, he will forget that he's in a fight and ultimately be out of it.

Im mad that they are fighting for a belt, I wish that it wasn't a title fight. Now, Mayweather will win the belt and end up getting stripped for it for not defending it in a reasonable time frame. I have never saw an official titleholder be off over a year and still be the champ. Now, the belt will in rotation and some bum or "made-to-be" fighter will be crowned champ (i.e. Chavez Jr, Alvarez).

Mayweather is simply too smart for anyone in boxing, and besides Berto, Ortiz has never had a defining win where he had to go 12 full rounds. Like you said, Mayweather is going to work the body, throw lots of jabs, and simply have Ortiz to baffled to do much of much late in the fight.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (PhoenixE3 @ Jul 17 2011, 03:26 AM) *
not really a new style...he's always had offense like this...when he moved up in weight, yea guys are bigger so he will be more vulnerable to their shots since they weigh more so he became more defensive...go back and look at his fights against corley...judah...sharmba mitchell...he was more agressive against southpaws than against orthodox fighters (and when one is more agressive their more open to shots they dont see which is why they landed those shots and why people all of a sudden got it in their heads he has trouble with leftys) look at his fight with gatti...philip ndou...emmanuel augustus...look at his career up until he moved up to 147...he was a whole lot more offensive...people who didnt see the part of his career before he moved to 147 think he's just been defensive...when he 1st started he was droppin people in early rounds getting KO victories by round 6...i mean moving up in weight you gotta be more defensive or else you're gettin dropped by the bigger guys...just because floyd decided to shut people up who were saying he's purely defensive doesnt mean he developed a new style...he just showed more during that fight of what we saw from him in the past...thats all

That specific type of style is new. Show me which fight has he used the turtle shell/peek a boo mixed with earmuffs defensive stance style on offense? that's a style used for defence and he used it as his offence which I think is brilliant. He usually uses the turtle shell, shoulder roll, philly shell, occasionally southpaw stance, and his regular orthodox stance. I've never seen him use all of those 3 styles mixed in one like that till the Mosley fight. If you can point it out (doubt it) because I haven't seen it like that. Now I didn't say I've never seen him be offensive but we as fans haven't seen him fight like that since the Gatti fight. He was the bull instead of the matador. For anyone who thinks that fight wasn't brilliant doesn't know boxing.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jul 17 2011, 10:23 AM) *
[/b]
Find it funny you have to write this
shame actually but yea

Floyd walked him down an beat that ass as i mentioned I believe he is to old to move to much
He'll burn energy faster as he is older.
People say Floyd is boring an runs, but Floyd when younger moved when he had to an sat in the pocket when he needed to.

Well you know how people are on here Ken. Everytime someone makes a Floyd thread they think the person a Floyd nuthugger or a stan. Sorry for them but I'm not. I made more articles about other topics than Mayweather alone. Like I said, I am a fan of boxing first then Mayweather 2nd. If no one understands that then what the hell with them.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 17 2011, 09:06 AM) *
I do not understand why asking a question about a boxer causes issues. Floyd will be fighting soon, so this is a relavent. When you talk about basketball three names will always be mentioned. LeBrone James, Kobe Bryant, and Jordan. No matter what the topic of conversation is. It is how things are, when you talk about a sport you mention the great ones of the past and current. You do not have to be jocking the guy just because you mentioned him or his style. It was a good question and if you are so sick of Floyd threads easy solution do not read it or post. And is it wrong to state that May is this man's or woman's favorite boxer? If it was Bute would you have a problem? People kill me with this.... then what is even worse you have to get sexual with it.... my goodness. So I guess people who will go see the fight and pay for are stans too? Ben Thompson must be Floyd gay lover according to you geez grow up

Castillo 1&2 is the most aggressive I had seen Flod fight. People like to mention the Hatton fight but Castillo bought all sides out with Floyd. Against Shane he just simply played all his cards to show everyone he can do it either way at the same time need be. My favorite fight Floyd ever had was against Zab, great performance of talent. And its okay is you are a May fan.... mostp people are

Co the fuck sign. It's ashamed that Floyd actually has more fans than haters or maybe the same amount. I don't applaud everything he does outside the ring but inside the ring as a boxing and sweet science fan he is masterful and a genius. He's really at home in that squared circle not too many boxers can say they have a boxing family and was almost literally born in a boxing gym like Floyd. He is a perfectionist when he puts those gloves on.
TzFrank
in my opinion floyd just fought mosley that way because that was the game plan...mosley cant fight goin backwards so floyd pressed the attack...i dont think the way he fought in the mosley fight has anything to do with age...just several months earlier he fought marquez and looked like his normal self, he was very elusive in that fight and took no punishment...floyd only moves when he needs to it has nothing to do with age in my opinion
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jul 17 2011, 02:04 PM) *
Co the fuck sign. It's ashamed that Floyd actually has more fans than haters or maybe the same amount. I don't applaud everything he does outside the ring but inside the ring as a boxing and sweet science fan he is masterful and a genius. He's really at home in that squared circle not too many boxers can say they have a boxing family and was almost literally born in a boxing gym like Floyd. He is a perfectionist when he puts those gloves on.

What a shame he's only had those gloves on twice in about the last 3 and a half years. Not a lot to judge from lately. Call me a hater, but it's a waste of talent considering what he could have done for his legacy and gave us fans some actual more proof of his greatness.
TzFrank
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 17 2011, 01:13 PM) *
What a shame he's only had those gloves on twice in about the last 3 and a half years. Not a lot to judge from lately. Call me a hater, but it's a waste of talent considering what he could have done for his legacy and gave us fans some actual more proof of his greatness.

Who is there out there for floyd to fight besides ortiz and maybe manny next and please dont say martinez because he is too big...hes said time and time again that he has nothin else to prove thats why he retired after the de la hoya fight
Eighty88Eight
Floyd showed vs Mosley (and against Judah if you recall), that he's versatile enough to walk down a physically stronger man.... a supposedly physically stronger man. However, I don't think it's accurate to say he fought a pressure fight against him. He pressured Judah, yeah, but it seemed to me that he was just trying to keep Mosley in front of him and in the center of the ring. Roger is smart enough to know that the only way Mosley was going to beat Mayweather was to back him into the ropes and land big punches. He may fight Ortiz that same way because Ortiz can't really fight backing up, but Mayweather would never, ever fight Pacquiao that way. That would be suicide.
wolterb
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 17 2011, 09:06 AM) *

hell yea, that fight with zab was great. i got guff for talkin bout floyd too on this forum, lol. does not take much to chap asses around here, apparently. just as you said, i don't know what the big issue is when he has a scheduled fight and is one of better skilled fighters of our era. seems like a boxing forum is a fine venue for discussion on the topic. lol.

that being said, i didn't think the mosley bout was completely different from other fights. he definitely held his ground a little more...other than that, i thought the technique looked the same. it did seem like he just wanted to show everyone that he could beat up on someone without the feet movement people have been critical of in the past.

but i'm pry just s'ing d's, eatin' a's or whatever other juvenile bullshit haters can come up with.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 17 2011, 11:21 AM) *
Who is there out there for floyd to fight besides ortiz and maybe manny next and please dont say martinez because he is too big...hes said time and time again that he has nothin else to prove thats why he retired after the de la hoya fight

What a weak ass response. Beating De La Hoya means he cleaned out his era? Give me a freaking break. He could have fought Cotto, P.Will(when he was P. Will), Margarito, Berto, Martinez and a couple others. Just imagine if he puts those dudes on his resume. It would have done wonders for him in public opinion and he would have got the respect he always complains about not getting and he wouldn't have as many haters if any.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 17 2011, 02:21 PM) *

Give me a damn break. Well if he had nothing else to prove after the Oscar fight, what's he doing now? There is absolutely no reasoning with a PBF fanatic. Simply put, fighters are supposed to fight the fights. Not just go by reputation. There were plenty of worthy fighters for him to fight over the years at welterweight. What...he gets a pass cause he is too good and it's a foregone conclusion what the outcome would have been?

Floyd is obviously gifted and the best right now, BUT his inactivity and average welterweight resume does not lie. My first post is 100% accurate and there is no debating it. But of course some one would swing from his nuts and defend him. Why can't people just be unbiased and say yeah" it would have been nice to see him in there with say a Wright, Forrest, Quartey, Mayorga, Margarito, Cotto, Williams, etc. But instead we get BS like there was no one for him to fight and he had nothing else to prove. laugh.gif

PBF is the best, I admit it. But what is wrong with me and many others wishing and him wanting to have fought more often and better fighters? I just do not get it.

True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 17 2011, 12:06 PM) *
Give me a damn break. Well if he had nothing else to prove after the Oscar fight, what's he doing now? There is absolutely no reasoning with a PBF fanatic. Simply put, fighters are supposed to fight the fights. Not just go by reputation. There were plenty of worthy fighters for him to fight over the years at welterweight. What...he gets a pass cause he is too good and it's a foregone conclusion what the outcome would have been?

Floyd is obviously gifted and the best right now, BUT his inactivity and average welterweight resume does not lie. My first post is 100% accurate and there is no debating it. But of course some one would swing from his nuts and defend him. Why can't people just be unbiased and say yeah" it would have been nice to see him in there with say a Wright, Forrest, Quartey, Mayorga, Margarito, Cotto, Williams, etc. But instead we get BS like there was no one for him to fight and he had nothing else to prove. laugh.gif

PBF is the best, I admit it. But what is wrong with me and many others wishing and him wanting to have fought more often and better fighters? I just do not get it.

Co-sign, I forgot he could have also fought Forrest and Winky also.
gravytrain
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 17 2011, 03:10 PM) *

it's ok, sometimes i forget he's even a pro fighter. sometimes it's like the man just falls off completely only to comeback 12-18 months later talking about "i'm thinking about boxing again, buy my PPV". that actually describes his career since Hatton pretty well lol.
zucrates
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 17 2011, 03:10 PM) *

Forrest last fight at 147 was in 2003 and they were back to back losses. Also he had already fought one fight at 150 (2001) if it was a chance to fight him it would have had to be somewhere in this time frame because he started having problems getting to 147(Forrest) / Quartey's last fight at 147 was 1999/ Winky's last fight 147 was in 1992 Floyd's fist fight at 147 was in 2005 and he went to 154 once in 2007(was150 though and went to Hatton after). On top of that in 2003 Floyd was fighting at 134 1999 t0 2001 he was 130 and in 1992 he wasn't even pro. Mayorga comes to the ring weighing 170 on fight night( nuff said) Forrest and Floyd were only close in weight in 2007 but Floyd was still 150 while he was 154 So for anybody to throw these names out here as a fight for Floyd during his career is crazy(unless it's a fantasy fight in your head or video game) The time frames for him to fight them were off. The only ones I say are realistic are Cotto and Pw(now he's a ? could Floyd catch his ass with a Left) People are entitled to their own op I guess dntknw.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (zucrates @ Jul 17 2011, 03:55 PM) *
Forrest last fight at 147 was in 2003 and they were back to back losses. Also he had already fought one fight at 150 (2001) if it was a chance to fight him it would have had to be somewhere in this time frame because he started having problems getting to 147(Forrest) / Quartey's last fight at 147 was 1999/ Winky's last fight 147 was in 1992 Floyd's fist fight at 147 was in 2005 and he went to 154 once in 2007(was150 though and went to Hatton after). On top of that in 2003 Floyd was fighting at 134 1999 t0 2001 he was 130 and in 1992 he wasn't even pro. Mayorga comes to the ring weighing 170 on fight night( nuff said) Forrest and Floyd were only close in weight in 2007 but Floyd was still 150 while he was 154 So for anybody to throw these names out here as a fight for Floyd during his career is crazy(unless it's a fantasy fight in your head or video game) The time frames for him to fight them were off. The only ones I say are realistic are Cotto and Pw(now he's a ? could Floyd catch his ass with a Left) People are entitled to their own op I guess dntknw.gif

Mosley jumped right from 135 to 147 with zero problems, and fought a prime ODLH in his 2nd fight at that weight I believe.

Well like you said Floyd had no problem fighting Oscar at 154, cause the payday and Oscar was past it.

PBF called out Winky at 154, but Winky called his bluff and Mayweather backpedaled.

Why did he avoid Margarito? That was in his timeline.

Hatton bumped up to welter to fight the bigger Floyd.

JMM had to bump up 2 weight classes to fight the bigger Floyd.

Sure Floyd could have bumped up some for some bigger and better fighters.

I know there is a lot of BS and politics, but there was still opportunities for more and better fights for him.

Floyd at 130 and 135 was simply amazing! He fought anyone and relished the challenges.
caneman
Just a simple question, if DLH wasn't too bight @ 154, why is Martinez? I mean Floyd is greater than Sugar Ray Robinson so it should be an easy nights work...just saying!!!

On another note, I do believe that both Pacman and Floyd will get shit on unless they fight each other or knock some heads off @ 154! Floyd vs Lara would be interesting IMO.
HazConvictedFelonMane
I have total confidence in Floyd against Ortiz, Khan, and Pacquiao (if his team's not too afraid). I agree with the topic starter. If Shane didn't have such a good chin, he'd have been knocked out in round 6. This flat foot version of Floyd is very dangerous. He can sit down on his straight right hand and put Ortiz, Khan, and Pacquiao to sleep. Those are the guys I want to see Floyd fight. Pacquiao needs to be next. Then Khan and Canelo at 154. After that, Floyd can retire undefeated and the best of this era hands down. Having a career that started in the Ams, went to the games, and concluded on top of the fabled 'all time great' pound for pound fighters. Multi-Division world champion and the most accurate boxer of all time. Record breaker, trend setter, and the textbook definition of an effective boxer. For blacks in America, Floyd Mayweather Jr. is someone to celebrate. The rigors of hard work can pay off in a tremendous way if you dedicate yourself.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 17 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Mayweather is simply too smart for anyone in boxing, and besides Berto, Ortiz has never had a defining win where he had to go 12 full rounds. Like you said, Mayweather is going to work the body, throw lots of jabs, and simply have Ortiz to baffled to do much of much late in the fight.

Well worded! I just can't see Ortiz critically thinking, staying out of trouble, and staying in the fight against Mayweather all night. Mind you, Ortiz has had some game opponents, who were ready to fight, but he has never fought any pure boxer/thinkers other than Lamont Peterson (who stole the last half of the fight from Ortiz). I see Floyd taking the fight comfortably after the 4th round, but I can't predict a KO on his behalf.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 17 2011, 03:06 PM) *

I agree with you on the fact that he probably should have a little more over the past 4 years. Guys like Wright, Forrest, Mayorga, and Quartey would have been too much for him around that time when they were still something to talk about ('03-'06). Floyd was always a small Welterweight until he fought Marquez and so forth. Guys like Cotto, Williams, and Clottey would have helped his resume around the first time he retired. I still dont know about Margarito back then though...just would have been too much regardless.
caneman
Why do so many think FMJ stops anyone these days? He has only 4 TKO's since Corrales in 2001...he is a great boxer and fought perfect vs Mosley but even with that style I just don't see him stopping too many guys @ 147!

The thing that was beautiful about how he fought vs Mosley was how he fought long and kept his hands up! It was a great performance indeed!
bMaK
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 17 2011, 11:33 AM) *

I don't think he'll jab much; the straight right is the punch to throw against a southpaw.
bMaK
QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 17 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Why do so many think FMJ stops anyone these days? He has only 4 TKO's since Corrales in 2001...he is a great boxer and fought perfect vs Mosley but even with that style I just don't see him stopping too many guys @ 147!

The thing that was beautiful about how he fought vs Mosley was how he fought long and kept his hands up! It was a great performance indeed!

Six, but point taken. I also believe it's fair to say guys tend to limit the amount of risks they take against Floyd and, with very few exceptions, stop trying to win midway through the fight. Example- Mosley was in survival mode.
caneman
QUOTE (bMaK @ Jul 17 2011, 04:59 PM) *
Six, but point taken. I also believe it's fair to say guys tend to limit the amount of risks they take against Floyd and, with very few exceptions, stop trying to win midway through the fight. Example- Mosley was in survival mode.

You are corect, I forgot about Gatti and JCC! My bad!
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 17 2011, 01:57 PM) *
What a weak ass response. Beating De La Hoya means he cleaned out his era? Give me a freaking break. He could have fought Cotto, P.Will(when he was P. Will), Margarito, Berto, Martinez and a couple others. Just imagine if he puts those dudes on his resume. It would have done wonders for him in public opinion and he would have got the respect he always complains about not getting and he wouldn't have as many haters if any.

I think Cotto was at the Zab and May fight. Floyd wanted to fight Cotto but it never happen just like he wanted to fight Shane years earlier. Shane said May was not a money maker at that time. The next person to actually suggest Margarito would stand a chance against Floyd I am going to scream. Who the hell has Margarito beat and do not say Cotto. I am pretty damn sure his gloves were loaded then. He is a cheater and until further notice all his wins have a big fat * by them. Berto.... really? Martinez is getting his name out there which is good. So maybe next year we will have that match up. May has fought good and great fighters, but boxing is a business. So he is suppose to fight Margarito, what would do for his record? The next argument "why didn't Floyd fight Clottley?" How is Clottely a challenge? Curious. If Berto won his fight against Ortiz it would be Berto. Yawl kill me. Who has Martinez, Berto and Margarito fought that makes them worthy to fight Floyd... you mentioned Paul Williams, I will not waste my time. If Williams had a jab and a little thing called defense then I would understand. Hey maybe Floyd should fight Lara next.... And when did KOs determine a boxer's skill? Did I miss something?
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 17 2011, 02:21 PM) *

Bullshit!! He can fight Martinez. Martinez is the same height as Delahoya and Corales. Floyd I believe will fight Martinez when he becomes a bigger name but Martinez's promoter needs to get him better fights and it's hard when most of Arum's fighters are in his division which are champs and don't want to fight him. Floyd called out Martinez after the Mosley fight. Manny is chopped liver.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 18 2011, 08:12 AM) *
I think Cotto was at the Zab and May fight. Floyd wanted to fight Cotto but it never happen just like he wanted to fight Shane years earlier. Shane said May was not a money maker at that time. The next person to actually suggest Margarito would stand a chance against Floyd I am going to scream. Who the hell has Margarito beat and do not say Cotto. I am pretty damn sure his gloves were loaded then. He is a cheater and until further notice all his wins have a big fat * by them. Berto.... really? Martinez is getting his name out there which is good. So maybe next year we will have that match up. May has fought good and great fighters, but boxing is a business. So he is suppose to fight Margarito, what would do for his record? The next argument "why didn't Floyd fight Clottley?" How is Clottely a challenge? Curious. If Berto won his fight against Ortiz it would be Berto. Yawl kill me. Who has Martinez, Berto and Margarito fought that makes them worthy to fight Floyd... you mentioned Paul Williams, I will not waste my time. If Williams had a jab and a little thing called defense then I would understand. Hey maybe Floyd should fight Lara next.... And when did KOs determine a boxer's skill? Did I miss something?

Unsurprisingly you completely miss the point. It is not about weather he would beat fighters or have a easy night. It is about fighting the top fighters at your weight & all those listed were the top fighters at or around 147.

You talk like people have top be "worthy" to fight Floyd. What does worthy mean to you? The simple fact that they are top contenders (or were at the time) is enough to be worthy.

KO's don't determine a boxers skill. However when a lot of people are talking about Floyd stopping Ortiz then it is highly relevant to point out his stoppages or lack of in the last 5 years.
TzFrank
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 17 2011, 02:06 PM) *

100% accurate my ass lmao thats your own opinion about your own comment lol...he called out winky wright....wright wanted no part of him, arum wouldnt let margarcheto or cotto get in the ring with floyd, paul williams is trash, mayorga and quartey lmao are you serious dude...the only guy that might wouldve had a chance was vernon forrest only because he beat mosley as well...quit throwing garbage names out there...give me some legitamite names
TzFrank
QUOTE (zucrates @ Jul 17 2011, 02:55 PM) *

those are good points!
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 17 2011, 05:51 PM) *
Unsurprisingly you completely miss the point. It is not about weather he would beat fighters or have a easy night. It is about fighting the top fighters at your weight & all those listed were the top fighters at or around 147.

You talk like people have top be "worthy" to fight Floyd. What does worthy mean to you? The simple fact that they are top contenders (or were at the time) is enough to be worthy.

KO's don't determine a boxers skill. However when a lot of people are talking about Floyd stopping Ortiz then it is highly relevant to point out his stoppages or lack of in the last 5 years.

I do not know if you watch other sports but let's take tennis, the number one player is Joakavich great player from Serbia, Andy Roddick is i think number 10 in the world, Nadal is 2 and Federer is 3. Eventhough Roddick is in the top ten, no one wants to watch him play against the top three because he will get his ass handed to him in three sets! Boring! Until Roddick gets his game together (which will never happen) is when fans will be interested in seeing him take on the top 3 of the world. Its the same with boxing so what if they are top in their division does that make them legit? No. Boxing weights are loaded with top ten contender people have never heard of. And yest in order to fight the best you should be somewhat good. If those top fighters of their division are not better than you what is the point. If he fought all 3 or 4 people you mentioned and won you would probably say: he was suppose to win, they were not on his level" so why bother? Ridiculous. You think Jordan would even had worried about AI if he wasn't good? No. Do you think Tyson would had called out Lenox if he wasn't good? Do you think Tupac would of called out Biggie if he did not see him as a worthy opponent? Great competitors only want to fight the best not what is on paper. Margarito! You are actually defending this guy. Wow....
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 17 2011, 05:51 PM) *
100% accurate my ass lmao thats your own opinion about your own comment lol...he called out winky wright....wright wanted no part of him, arum wouldnt let margarcheto or cotto get in the ring with floyd, paul williams is trash, mayorga and quartey lmao are you serious dude...the only guy that might wouldve had a chance was vernon forrest only because he beat mosley as well...quit throwing garbage names out there...give me some legitamite names

Just wait until they throw Pacaquio's name out. That is their one... There it is, I said it for yawl Pacaquio, he hasn't fought him... Well thanks to investigating by Ben Thompson (Dan what he does is called Journalism) we know why that fight has yet to happen.... Martinez just became popular after knocking Paul Williams out.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 18 2011, 09:01 AM) *
I do not know if you watch other sports but let's take tennis, the number one player is Joakavich great player from Serbia, Andy Roddick is i think number 10 in the world, Nadal is 2 and Federer is 3. Eventhough Roddick is in the top ten, no one wants to watch him play against the top three because he will get his ass handed to him in three sets! Boring! Until Roddick gets his game together (which will never happen) is when fans will be interested in seeing him take on the top 3 of the world.

Wow one of the worst analogies I am yet to hear for justification as to why Floyd has not fought other top contenders. The reason we know Roddick will more than likely get beat is because they have all played many times before & Roddick has been beaten by the top 3 more times than he has won. The key difference is that he has earned the right to play against the best win or lose & that is exactly what he does. No one gives Djokovic, Federer or Nadal the win on default they fucking well go out kick a lil arse & take the win.

That is why we know who the #1 is because they prove it time & time again.

Really really bad analogy.

Boxing weights are loaded with top ten contender people have never heard of. And yest in order to fight the best you should be somewhat good. If those top fighters of their division are not better than you what is the point. If he fought all 3 or 4 people you mentioned and won you would probably say: he was suppose to win, they were not on his level" so why bother? Ridiculous.

That does not matter. What matters is if you are in a position to be a top contender you should get a shot. The point is that champions defend their belts against the contenders. The good ones beat the contenders & show them why they are the champion.

I did not mention anyone let alone all 3 or 4 people he should fight. I said he should fight the top contenders. I stand by that.

According to your logic why did he fight a fat piss drinking Marquez who was neither a top contender nor any credible threat to Floyd? We all knew he would win & in my eyes it is Floyds most hollow victory.

Do you think Tupac would of called out Biggie if he did not see him as a worthy opponent? Great competitors only want to fight the best not what is on paper. Margarito! You are actually defending this guy. Wow....

Wow just wow Tupac & Biggie. So this is what it comes down to....

At the time was Margarito not the top contender at 147?

gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 17 2011, 07:36 PM) *
What a dumb comparison.

Especially when you consider that you see seeded players and top players regularly getting upset in the first couple rounds at times, in men and women against lower ranked players. Why? because they must play everyone.

So you think Mayweather shouldn't fight anyone, uless it's Pacquiao. Exactly what's wrong with fans today.

that's why there are boxing fans and fans of fighters lol.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 17 2011, 05:51 PM) *

Do your research, Winky Wright was desperate to fight him. Winky would've cut off his left arm to fight him. I think he may have even offered to suck down to 147 to do it. I also believe if they'd have fought Winky would've won.
BoxingWizard23
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 17 2011, 08:26 PM) *
Do your research, Winky Wright was desperate to fight him. Winky would've cut off his left arm to fight him. I think he may have even offered to suck down to 147 to do it. I also believe if they'd have fought Winky would've won.

That would have been a good boxing match to watch. Winky is big enough to put it on Floyd forreal and his defence is good. But I doubt he'll win because he's not as smart as Floyd and that turtle shell defence won't help him either. Floyd would be the faster and smarter man in the ring. It's not the first time Floyd would face an opponent who's bigger and stronger than him. But Wright's defence will make the difference. Wright is always a slow starter and I see Floyd taking advantage of those earlier rounds to adjust to his style and then dominating the rest of the way plus with some intense rounds maybe. But Floyd will fight on the back foot and not bang with Winky which is smart.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BoxingWizard23 @ Jul 17 2011, 08:36 PM) *
That would have been a good boxing match to watch. Winky is big enough to put it on Floyd forreal and his defence is good. But I doubt he'll win because he's not as smart as Floyd and that turtle shell defence won't help him either. Floyd would be the faster and smarter man in the ring. It's not the first time Floyd would face an opponent who's bigger and stronger than him. But Wright's defence will make the difference. Wright is always a slow starter and I see Floyd taking advantage of those earlier rounds to adjust to his style and then dominating the rest of the way plus with some intense rounds maybe. But Floyd will fight on the back foot and not bang with Winky which is smart.

See I like Wright in that match-up because that's one fight where the guy facing Floyd who would be looking at going 12 rounds rather than finding a way to stop Floyd. Winky's ringsmarts (I think) were underrated and if Oscar's jab could find Floyd then I definately feel that Winky's could've. Winky based his entire career on his jab and to me the guy that can jab with Floyd is the guy that stands the best chance of beating him.

Personally I don't buy the whole 'pressure fighter' stuff I just think Castillo caught Floyd on an off night and Floyd was injured in that fight. And yes I do think Castillo won the first fight.
Lil-lightsout

QUOTE (TzFrank @ Jul 17 2011, 06:51 PM) *

You sir are a complete jackass. People like you have not a fucking clue about boxing, and I realize there is no reasoning with such biased Floyidiot as yourself.

I get it with your delusions, Floyd Mayweather is so damn great and all those other fighters are trash I mentioned and he needs not to have them fought them in the ring to prove it.

I already wrote too much in response.
sduck
This wasn't the only time Floyd pressed the fight... The only fights I remember he backpedaled for most of the fight was Corrales, Castillo, Baldomir, DLH, and Hatton. He moves a lot, but the whole thing of his style being "running" is kind of a myth.

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 17 2011, 04:30 PM) *
Mosley jumped right from 135 to 147 with zero problems, and fought a prime ODLH in his 2nd fight at that weight I believe.

Well like you said Floyd had no problem fighting Oscar at 154, cause the payday and Oscar was past it.

PBF called out Winky at 154, but Winky called his bluff and Mayweather backpedaled.

Why did he avoid Margarito? That was in his timeline.

Hatton bumped up to welter to fight the bigger Floyd.

JMM had to bump up 2 weight classes to fight the bigger Floyd.

Sure Floyd could have bumped up some for some bigger and better fighters.

I know there is a lot of BS and politics, but there was still opportunities for more and better fights for him.

Floyd at 130 and 135 was simply amazing! He fought anyone and relished the challenges.

- That was Mosley's third fight at Welterweight, and Mosley was possibly on the juice.
- All of these guys mentioned by zucrates were past their prime by the time Floyd got to that weight. Floyd was almost a no body at that. They would of never happened or been given full credit by this time.
- Did Floyd really backpedal? Floyd said he wanted to fight Winky at an awkward time in his career. I don't even think Floyd was at 147 yet when this happened.
- Floyd was still in Top Rank, apparently he wanted to fight Oscar DLH for $20 million, but Bob Arum refused and would of gave him $8 million for Margarito, Floyd felt he deserved more so the fight didn't happen. I'm 100% confident that fight would of been a waste of time (looks like another Mayweather-Corrales).
- Hatton moved up, but Floyd moved down.
- JMM moved up two, but Floyd came right out of retirement to fight the #2 p4p.
The only opportunities I see for Floyd right now is to clear out the rest of the big names in the Welterweight Divisions. He needs to fight more if he wants to call himself the best.
caneman
Whose worse pactards or these new reverse pactards of late?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.