Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Defeat The Klitschko Brothers?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
In my view, by doing something that few have been able to accomplish. Applying pressure, taking away the jab, and getting inside. I assess the Vitali would be harder to beat than Wlad, because Wlad has a suspect chin. Consider the following:

And all the while, it seems like opponents should be able to get inside, because I think that the Klits often hold their hands low. Actually, I don't see them jabbing, jabbing, and jabbing like say Ali did with the movement and agility.

The Kitschko's aren't busy fighters because they don't have to be. They are however, dominate fighters with a huge height and reach advantage over everyone else. But maybe that is largely due to the fact that this heavyweight division for contenders is a fucking piece of shit! (Thanks for NOTHING, Haye!!!)

So in assessing the Klits what great heavyweight champions of the past beat them and how do they beat them? They take the jab away, but asses a past heavyweight champion and how he does that.

Jack
Method
They are NOT dominant fighters. With the size advantage they have over EVERYONE ELSE, they should be putting motherfuckers to SLEEP in DOMINANT fashion. Fighting scared, biting on ervery damn feint because you are scared of your own shadow is embarrassing. Its a total SHIT division, and if they were dominant, they'd be blowing dudes out. They're not. Wladdy fights like an amateur. I dunno. Thee guys do nothing for me. Absolutely NOTHING.
gravytrain
i think Foreman beats both of them. with Wlad i see him overwhelming him and stopping him early. against Vitali i think he would stop him because of a cut. he's open for shots and Foreman could probably mess his face up enough to end it.
PColeman28
Agreed ^^^^
Charlie
A prime Tyson would walk through Wladimir. Bob and weave forwards then throw hard shots. Wladimir goes back in straight lines, but the heavyweights of this era seem unable to move forwards and move their head out the way of his left hand at the same time. Haye only dodged with his feet planted, lunging forward as Klitschko moved backwards. The likes of Brewster and Peters never had the mobility to maintain a sustained forward-moving attack. It's not difficult, but the current crop of heavyweights lack the desire and the boxing intelligence (could this be a coaching problem - lack of quality trainers?) to be fit enough and combine upper body movement, foot movement, and combination punching. Tyson was a master at this. Holyfield was good. I'd fancy a prime Holyfield against either Klitschko. The guys who move as they attack, they are missing in the heavyweight division at the moment.
Jack 1000
I actually had Vitali-Lewis 3-3 at the stoppage, even though Vitali was more effective at winning his rounds that Lewis was at winning his rounds. That fight was one of the best heavyweight wars for recent years.

I wonder if Vitali had not had that hideous cut forcing the stoppage, would he have won? I would say yes, I think Lewis would have been stopped in about the 10th round.

I think the brothers could be out-boxed by say Charles, Walcott, Ali, and Holmes. Louis stops them. He does a Sanders on Vitali in 3 and stops Vitali on cuts or a quit job in about 8. BUT Louis could have an early round scare, because "The Brown Bomber" could be floored early. But when you hurt him early, he becomes more and more pissed.

A prime Tyson over Wlad in 3 and over Vitali in 6. Too much of everything. Dempsey depends on who lands first. But if Dempsey landed first, I don't think either Klitschko, could came back the way Luis Firpo did against Dempsey were they just swapped back and forth knockdowns in two of the most intense heavyweight rounds for boxing historians.

Holyfield would have trouble with the Klitschkos. Holyfield almost always had trouble with big fighters. But Evander had the heart of many greats and he might take a close decision. If Holyfield could NOT throw his combinations and do much like say Lewis I, despite that horrible draw, I think Vitali wins. I would be more inclined to believe that Holyfield could beat Wlad, because of Wlad's chin.

Holmes might have an Ernie Shavers type knockdown moment, but I think he would be skilled enough to avoid the follow-up and take a decision against both brothers.

It seems that elusive boxers would trouble the Klitschkos the most. But the greats almost never had to fight fighters like the Klitschko's with their size and reach.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
All these guys(PRIME) below would just have to show up and they would beat both brothers.

Tyson KO Wlad round 1.
Tyson TKO Vitali mid rounds.

Holyfield late KO over Wlad.
Holyfield dec over Vitali.

Lewis KO Wlad round 2.
Lewis TKO Vitali mid rounds.

Ruddock mid rounds KO over Wlad.
Ruddock TKO over Vitali.

Holmes late TKO over Wlad or dec.
Holmes wide dec over Vitali.

Foreman KO's them both.

Bowe KO over Wlad in 3 rounds.
Bowe dec or TKO over Wlad.

There are more also that would have beaten them.

But today your best bet would be James Toney... only if he got a real trainer, a real nutritionist, and came in around 215 pounds. laugh.gif

gravytrain
i like Joe Louis but he's not beating Vitali. i think he would have some success against him but Vitali would beat him just due to the size difference. Wlad is a different story, i think he puts on a clinic in that one. i could see Louis beating him by a wide margin.
Hops
Why are those Klitz-lovers always pointing to their jabs?

There is a big difference between knowing how to jab and how to use a jab. Wlad knows how to jab. He jabs a lot. He appears to know how to use a jab. That's because his opponents have been deep shits lately.
JLUVBABY
theres a lot of guys in history that could beat these two guys... their size is NOT why they are so dominant right now... its helping them but the reason they are so dominant is because the division is not deep like it should be... none of the guys they are fighting are primed enough for them... the closest fighter either has fought in some time are tony thompson and i know yall wont agree but i still say odlanier is a threat to both guys... just my opinion...
alaganza
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 17 2011, 10:59 PM) *
I wonder if Vitali had not had that hideous cut forcing the stoppage, would he have won? I would say yes, I think Lewis would have been stopped in about the 10th round.

I wonder if Lewis would have been in shape if the fight would be that close.
Hops
I wonder why Lewis didn't get paid for the rematch.
salvador
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 17 2011, 09:59 PM) *
I actually had Vitali-Lewis 3-3 at the stoppage, even though Vitali was more effective at winning his rounds that Lewis was at winning his rounds. That fight was one of the best heavyweight wars for recent years.

Lewis was coming on very strong even though he was clearly out of shape and exhausted. I think he would have either gotten Vitali out in the next couple of rounds or he would have been ko'd late. Great fight.

I always find it interesting that Lewis, who was essentially a clean fighter, threw a very late shot after the bell in the 6th - and so the last professional punch of his career was an intentional cheap shot. Just a little factoid.
Eighty88Eight
The Klitschko's are very skillful. Other big men aren't as quick or as smart as they are. Credit must be given, they fight the only way they really can, and they fight to their complete potential. Of how many athletes can you say that without hyperbole? They've been so dominant and have made it look so easy that nobody takes any consideration for the disadvantages inherent in being so big. For one, you're a big ass motherfucker whose heart literally can't pump enough blood to handle a fast pace fight, and are also susceptible to sudden fatigue and breathlessness. If you're looking for a model of consistent excellence, it probably wouldn't be from a 6'6'' lumbering giant.

Whoever is going to beat them is gonna have to back them into the ropes and unleash rib-crushing body shots. That requires some speed, a good deal of power, good stamina, a solid chin, and more than a little courage. All qualities their current line of opponents simply dont have. Otherwise, one would have to force the Klitchko's into a fire fight and hope to wear them out that way. Good luck.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 18 2011, 05:51 AM) *
i like Joe Louis but he's not beating Vitali. i think he would have some success against him but Vitali would beat him just due to the size difference. Wlad is a different story, i think he puts on a clinic in that one. i could see Louis beating him by a wide margin.

Remember if Louis was around today he'd be a lot bigger than the 185-200lb's he weighed throughout his career.

He'd have bulked up scientifically and would be the kind of size Adamek is. That would be big enough for him to outbox and punish Vitali IMO. I think Adamek may give Klitschko trouble with his speed and skills, so Louis would have a field day.

Black
Method
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Jul 18 2011, 09:56 AM) *
Whoever is going to beat them is gonna have to back them into the ropes and unleash rib-crushing body shots.

It's already been proven, more than once, that it does NOT take backing "them into the ropes and unleashing rib-crushing body shots".
Maxy
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 17 2011, 09:49 AM) *
They are NOT dominant fighters. With the size advantage they have over EVERYONE ELSE, they should be putting motherfuckers to SLEEP in DOMINANT fashion. Fighting scared, biting on ervery damn feint because you are scared of your own shadow is embarrassing. Its a total SHIT division, and if they were dominant, they'd be blowing dudes out. They're not. Wladdy fights like an amateur. I dunno. Thee guys do nothing for me. Absolutely NOTHING.

They are though. Simple, they dominate this era. Yep, it's a poor era, one of the divisions worst but the fact remains they still dominate it. Like it or not, it's the truth.
HazConvictedFelonMane
From where I sit, you need a 12 gauge shotgun. David Haye showed us something. Wlad was tagged by a few leaping lead right hands. Wlad also moves very slowly going backwards. Put intelligent pressure on him and check his chin with bombs. Someone that can use athletic ablities stands a shot at beating Wlad. Agility, smarts, and power will do the job.
gravytrain
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 18 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Remember if Louis was around today he'd be a lot bigger than the 185-200lb's he weighed throughout his career.

He'd have bulked up scientifically and would be the kind of size Adamek is. That would be big enough for him to outbox and punish Vitali IMO. I think Adamek may give Klitschko trouble with his speed and skills, so Louis would have a field day.

Black

i think Louis doesn't lose by a wide margin but drops rounds because of Vitali's style. he wants to make you come to him and always puts a punch out to keep you back. i see Louis dropping early rounds trying to figure him out. i think it would be a solid 116-112 for Vitali. in a 15 round fight i think Louis could make it real close.

Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 18 2011, 02:31 PM) *
It's already been proven, more than once, that it does NOT take backing "them into the ropes and unleashing rib-crushing body shots".

Just because it's been attempted doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Physical talent is assumed here. You're not gonna beat a Klitschko on strategy alone.
Method
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Jul 18 2011, 04:29 PM) *
Just because it's been attempted doesn't mean it wouldn't work. Physical talent is assumed here. You're not gonna beat a Klitschko on strategy alone.

I dont understand how that reads. Just because its been attempted doesn't mean it wouldn't work?

My contention is that baby brother has been KO'd by guys that did FAR LESS, and strategized FAR LESS.

When his chin gets touched, he goes into John Ruiz mode.
Hops
Wlad has been tagged by right hands he could see comin' from miles away. And from a single-fisted opponent.
xxxxxx
I'm a little surprised that so many people take a prime Tyson over Vitali by KO or TKO. I could easily see him beating Wlad by KO, but I don't think he stops Vitali. Maybe he could win a dec by just activity and pressure against Vitali, but Vitali has Proven he can take a punch. I know he messed up his shoulder or whatever against Byrd and the corner stopped the fight, but after the Lewis fight he earned by respect. I never have seen the guy truly hurt by a punch in his career and he's faced some good punchers.
Hops
Yeah. But Vitali needs to borrow some skills from his china-chinned brotha. His chin alone will not hold up.
Eighty88Eight
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 18 2011, 05:17 PM) *
I dont understand how that reads. Just because its been attempted doesn't mean it wouldn't work?

My contention is that baby brother has been KO'd by guys that did FAR LESS, and strategized FAR LESS.

When his chin gets touched, he goes into John Ruiz mode.

just because its been tried before doesn't mean it wouldn't work if done correctly, by a fighter with some skills. Wlad is a much better fighter than he used to be, and he's inculcated himself against fighters whose strategy essentially amounts to nothing more than throwing limp jabs to the body then leaping up with wide punches. David Haye should have at least tried looping punches instead of just leaping with lead left hooks. Wlad is better conditioned, more courageous, sharper, slicker, and smarter than he used to be. Brewster beat him because Wlad punched himself out during a time in his career when he wasn't yet fully committed to his craft.
mrwigi
OK. I'm not going to lie. You dont know how big a 6'6 255lb guy is until your standing right in front of him. I'm only 5'9 and the tallest guy ive fought was 6'4, and you would beat them the same way i beat him. Get inside, where he cant use his jab, and use combinations. But, honestly, whoever stands in front of either one of them with heart and skill could KO either one of them.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Jul 19 2011, 10:22 PM) *
OK. I'm not going to lie. You dont know how big a 6'6 255lb guy is until your standing right in front of him. I'm only 5'9 and the tallest guy ive fought was 6'4, and you would beat them the same way i beat him. Get inside, where he cant use his jab, and use combinations. But, honestly, whoever stands in front of either one of them with heart and skill could KO either one of them.

Problem is Wlad grabs you like an octopuss on the inside and the refs never let them fight on the inside. Not to mention the division sucks and who truly is a tough good strong inside fighter to pull off such a win? For a long time I have always thought Tua would be the best bet to beat Klit. He can only fight on the inside and eventually he'd land a left hook that would ice Klit. Problem is Tua is so inactive and to be honest I have not seen him fight in quite some time.
JLUVBABY
this is how you beat wladimir and nothing has changed... manny steward or not...
just seems the guys they fight are scared to go into that battlezone like sanders did... sanders is the last guy wlad fought that was from that school of fighters of the 90's and you see the outcome... and he was nowhere near the best of the bunch. wlad would have got his ass handled during the 90's...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 19 2011, 10:48 PM) *
Problem is Wlad grabs you like an octopuss on the inside and the refs never let them fight on the inside. Not to mention the division sucks and who truly is a tough good strong inside fighter to pull off such a win? For a long time I have always thought Tua would be the best bet to beat Klit. He can only fight on the inside and eventually he'd land a left hook that would ice Klit. Problem is Tua is so inactive and to be honest I have not seen him fight in quite some time.

tua has a fight coming up son i believe with monte barrett... rematch...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 20 2011, 03:45 AM) *
this is how you beat wladimir and nothing has changed... manny steward or not...
just seems the guys they fight are scared to go into that battlezone like sanders did... sanders is the last guy wlad fought that was from that school of fighters of the 90's and you see the outcome... and he was nowhere near the best of the bunch. wlad would have got his ass handled during the 90's...

this is the reason they signed chris arreolla to fight vitali and not vitali... arreolas style would have gave wlad all kinds of hell... same reason they signed tony thompson to fight wlad and not vitali... with them ruling both on top they are able to seperate the fighters and are fighting the contenders that best suit their styles... cant say i blame them if they want to win but the fans lose in the long run..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Jul 19 2011, 09:22 PM) *

nuff said... tho you gonna feel more heat vs vitali but you have to have the heart to get in their and face the fire to have a chance to win...
blackbelt2003
Key for beating Wladimir:

STEP 1: Be 6'6" tall with no fat on you.
STEP 2: Be able to hit hard. Very fucking hard.
STEP 3: Throw big punches.
STEP 4: Get lucky.

That's it, pretty much. Any takers?

Black
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 20 2011, 11:04 PM) *

Black

You make me laugh Black you really do.

You gotta be

5' 8"
72" reach
around 150lbs
Be undefeated

That is what you need mate. not rocket science just Mayweather science.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2011, 02:41 PM) *

You gotta be

5' 8"
72" reach
around 150lbs
Be undefeated

Of course, mate, what am I thinking. Mayweather is unbeatable, isn't he? In fact, I'm pretty sure Klitschko has already been beaten by Mayweather. I think Floyd called him out once as a joke, and since the fight never happened, you automatically put Klitschko down as a loss on Floyd's record. Isn't that how it works?

Black
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 20 2011, 08:04 AM) *

Black

the guys thats beaten him so far dont share all 4 of those characteristics... what you need is the heart to stand up to the fire... a chin to take the fire and a punch that can hurt him... you have those 3 elements you have a shot... vitali is another story but wlad is very beatable... he'll never fight the guys that can exploit his defencies while his brother is holding a belt to take on those guys.. and vice versa... honestly if holyfield had ANYTHING left he'd give wlad a run for his money... he has the heart to get in there and take those chances needed to get the win..some might laugh at that but if he was 50 percent of what he used to be he'd have a chance... my opinion.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 20 2011, 12:45 AM) *

Oops, there it is.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2011, 09:41 AM) *

You gotta be

5' 8"
72" reach
around 150lbs
Be undefeated

WRONG!!! Duh...Mayweather fans already gave PBF that win already.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Of course, mate, what am I thinking. Mayweather is unbeatable, isn't he? In fact, I'm pretty sure Klitschko has already been beaten by Mayweather. I think Floyd called him out once as a joke, and since the fight never happened, you automatically put Klitschko down as a loss on Floyd's record. Isn't that how it works?

Black

Only reason the fight didn't happen was Wlad wouldn't takle the test. Look all Floyd wanted in that fight was to make sure he was on an even playing field. If Wlad dind't juice Floyd takes him for sure, especially as he has that new cool defence that Boxing Wizard laid out. No way Wlad gets past that shit.

Oh....and fuck Bob Arum. We need more honest voices in the sport like promoters Don King, Golden Boy and advisors like Greg Leon.
Warlord
Blitz them, swarm them, make them fight inside. There isn't a fighter like that on the planet today.

You can hope to get lucky and land a lucky shot somewhere along the way.

But the style needed no longer exists. That Marciano style. All balls and heart, taking 8 shots to the face to land a thunderous right named Suzie Q, whose bra is laced with 80-mile-an-hour bowling balls.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 20 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Oops, there it is.

Exactly SB!

And with regards to the above Video, Wlad got his ass handed to him by Corrie "Fucking" Sanders! It might as well have been Colonel Sanders from KFC! LOL! Haven't any of Wlad's opponents since watched that fight to learn what to do it win? I just find it ridiculous that OK, if they can't match with the hight and jab, at least take a chance on Wlad by ripping into him like Hagler and Hearns did to each other.

Now Vitali is much harder because he's got a good set of whiskers, but Lewis went to war with him. The chance for a good to great fight is there for both brothers. Now it's up to an opponent to at least make an effort for it to happen.

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 21 2011, 01:19 PM) *
Exactly SB!

And with regards to the above Video, Wlad got his ass handed to him by Corrie "Fucking" Sanders! It might as well have been Colonel Sanders from KFC! LOL! Haven't any of Wlad's opponents since watched that fight to learn what to do it win? I just find it ridiculous that OK, if they can't match with the hight and jab, at least take a chance on Wlad by ripping into him like Hagler and Hearns did to each other.

Now Vitali is much harder because he's got a good set of whiskers, but Lewis went to war with him. The chance for a good to great fight is there for both brothers. Now it's up to an opponent to at least make an effort for it to happen.

Jack

thats it and it has nothing to do with their wlads height etc... the key is being able to bring the fight to him and having the chin to stand up to what is coming... if you have those two attributes and a good punch oh you got a chance to win the fight... but you cant be scared... you got to be willing to get down and dirty cuzz he gonna hit you but you have to be confident that even if he does tag you know that he takes less of a punch then you do... vitali is another cat tho... vitali will take a guy that can accept his punches and be willing to really go to work and grind with him... the lewis fight showed even if he is outgunned in one department he has the chin to go with any real puncher and he can grind with you... he can be outworked over 12 but it would take an ike ibeabuchi type to get in his ass the way it needs to be done... lol...
and the NEW
People always basket the Klit brothers together.

However, their styles require vastly different fighters to take the thrown away.

Big Klit will be beaten by a real crafty guy who obviously, can take a punch. I thought Solis may be that guy and down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if he still is.

Wlad requires a real dynamic puncher. You don't have much chance beating him from the outside given his boxing pedigree (Olympic gold), athletacism and reach. Unfortunately, we don't really have one of these around at the moment so Wlad will probably reign supreme for many years yet.
wolterb
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 17 2011, 10:49 AM) *
They are NOT dominant fighters. With the size advantage they have over EVERYONE ELSE, they should be putting motherfuckers to SLEEP in DOMINANT fashion.

yea i think thats bullshit. to me, its fuckin nutty to think how those two awkward big ass individuals can coordinate their physicality into a boxing ring. ridiculous. im impressed they've stayed dominant in the division with bodies like that. it has to be hard being graceful in size 20 boots, i can't imagine what it;d be like to be offensive and aggressive. i get what you mean...i mean, they are big as shit. but, cut em' some slack...fuckers are tall as shit man.
mgrover
how about someone bigger than the klits. Tyson Fury maybe? he's 6ft 9 if Wikipedia is to be believed. after enough experience I think he could do it.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 15 2011, 02:37 AM) *
how about someone bigger than the klits. Tyson Fury maybe? he's 6ft 9 if Wikipedia is to be believed. after enough experience I think he could do it.

He has a LOT of learning to do. I know thats what you were getting at, but what I mean is, he has the sort of volume of learning to do that even Johnny Five from short circuit would struggle with. And Tyson Fury is no Johnny Five, hes a big stupid gypsy
Jack 1000
QUOTE (wolterb @ Aug 14 2011, 06:08 PM) *
yea i think thats bullshit. to me, its fuckin nutty to think how those two awkward big ass individuals can coordinate their physicality into a boxing ring. ridiculous. im impressed they've stayed dominant in the division with bodies like that. it has to be hard being graceful in size 20 boots, i can't imagine what it;d be like to be offensive and aggressive. i get what you mean...i mean, they are big as shit. but, cut em' some slack...fuckers are tall as shit man.

I think they are dominant in terms of their record and longevity in boxing. But they have not been exciting in several years. Their boring style puts fans and boxing executives to sleep. Well, except in Germany, because they are symbolically worshiped over there. But they are still boring in Germany. But the Germans don't care about that. National symbolism is more important to them than excitability in the ring.

Jack
wolterb
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 15 2011, 05:40 PM) *
I think they are dominant in terms of their record and longevity in boxing. But they have not been exciting in several years. Their boring style puts fans and boxing executives to sleep. Well, except in Germany, because they are symbolically worshiped over there. But they are still boring in Germany. But the Germans don't care about that. National symbolism is more important to them than excitability in the ring.

Jack

yea, i agree.
their entertainment value is way below the standard that we are used to. i don't think its helped by the lack of competition we've seen em up against lately, either.

i do think, though, if they fought any other way they'd look like clumsy assholes with their long legs. falling all over the place
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 15 2011, 08:10 AM) *
He has a LOT of learning to do. I know thats what you were getting at, but what I mean is, he has the sort of volume of learning to do that even Johnny Five from short circuit would struggle with. And Tyson Fury is no Johnny Five, hes a big stupid gypsy

Is one of the TV stations in England gonna give him his own reality show then? laugh.gif
Maxy
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 07:00 AM) *
Is one of the TV stations in England gonna give him his own reality show then? laugh.gif

If they did he'd be a guaranteed success...straight up. The fella is a character and even though he's limited as a fighter he does have time to improve. I very much doubt he'll ever be good enough to beat world level fighters though.
Eighty88Eight
I think the key to beating a Klitchsko is hitting them in the face
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.