Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corruption??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingStill#1
(Admin Note) URL Added: Here is the Interview with Teddy Atlas:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1035...3de056725196e05

I rather enjoyed the Atlas interview,..

Pending if what he says is true, than this is devistating for the sport. But it does make perfect sense. Why wouldnt promoters, referee's and judging officials have dinners and so forth? This absolutely would affect a decision...

If Bob Arum treated me to a $3,000 meal, and paid for additional cost to make me comfortable the weeks leading to a fight I would be inlcined to look out for him also....

This is a form of absolute corruption and it to the non-fan it would push them from the sport even further....

How many controversal deisions are in other combat sports?... just sayin its a bd look..

I am a boxing fan. (How many times have we heard this?) And I enjoy a technical fight just as much as the next person, ... but this article makes me want to see more brutal one punch KO's...

" Take it out of the judges hands" as we say??
thehype
What he said IS true....and it's not just judges. I know of a few writers who have enjoyed the perks of hotel suites and extravagant dinners. I too have seen it firsthand, well before I ever started writing about anything.
Method
I know not everyone digs him, but I'm a big fan of Teddy Atlas. At least his analysis as a fight is taking place. And while its a little bit cheese, I like his pre-fight breakdowns. Hes a crack head...what recent fight was it where he walked his partner out onto jagged/slippery ass rocks while water was breaking up against them. Completely unnecessary. So much so that it was funny.
TheFonz
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 20 2011, 03:53 PM) *
I know not everyone digs him, but I'm a big fan of Teddy Atlas. At least his analysis as a fight is taking place. And while its a little bit cheese, I like his pre-fight breakdowns. Hes a crack head...what recent fight was it where he walked his partner out onto jagged/slippery ass rocks while water was breaking up against them. Completely unnecessary. So much so that it was funny.

I get a kick out of that shit too, lol.
Jack 1000
Good work by Percy!

I agree with several of the things, and Atlas was OK until he brings up the National Commission Agenda. I have battled with him many times on this. You can't national commission an international sport. Also, I would like to see Teddy name specific names of fighters and promoters where he has witnessed the alleged $3000-$5000 dinners. If that is true, than these people should be called out about the bribery and corruption. If you don't call out the bad guys, it just leads to more speculation, accusation, denial ritual.

Also, if they started reversing unpopular decisions, everyone would start doing it for any marginal close fight, and that's wrong too. You would almost have to have an appellate court of officials to review the fight, and only in the case of proven corruption, could you overturn a verdict. Unpopularity does not always equate to blatant wrongness. The investigations would have to make sure that the rules of boxing and judging were followed.

I favor suspension and/or expulsions for bad scorecards, based on the severity of wrong doing, determined by an appellate panel. I think Commissioner Davis did the right thing by suspending the Williams-Lara judges. But as his agency found no evidence of corruption, as unpopular as the verdict was, it can't be reversed.

They SHOULD STOP giving perks to officials for high profile fights! Agree 200% on that.

Jack
SmartyBeardo
In the future people will toss the phrase - "he's got the balls of Teddy Atlas."
Sicko
QUOTE (thehype @ Jul 20 2011, 11:56 AM) *
What he said IS true....and it's not just judges. I know of a few writers who have enjoyed the perks of hotel suites and extravagant dinners. I too have seen it firsthand, well before I ever started writing about anything.

yeah I am sure Michael Marley is one of those Writers!
mgrover
maybe am just old fashioned but i want the old John Broughton rules of boxing. the fight aint over till your out for 30 seconds. but I guess we live in more civilized times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.