Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Power of Star Fighters and Top Promoters
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
(Note: This was in the Judah-Kahn thread, but it's such a great comment that I thought it deserved it's own thread)

And I think that the commissions are all so corrupt (and probably owned by Arum/King/DLH/Dibella ect.) that when you have fighters/golden geese like Floyd and Pac, who each make more than most small publicly traded companies, that the commissions play exactly zero role in any decision making.

The big wigs like Nevada still have clout. In fact, Nevada is like New York State years ago, where back than, everyone watched what New York was doing and followed suit. Nevada is the blue-print for boxing and they are still big in the decision making process. BUT, I think think that while the commissions and sanctioning bodies may try to reach compromises, they will almost never say no to what guys like Al Hayman, Oscar Delahoya, HBO, Floyd Mayweather, and Manny Pacquiao want.

It's almost like the Alphabet Federations. I think they are intimidated by King and Arum, and now the new intimidates are Delahoya and Hayman. King's power may be diminishing because of age. Maybe it's not intimidation, but when is the last time commissions and/or sanctioning bodies told a high-profiled fighter or promoter, "No?"

Jack
EAlbian
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 25 2011, 12:08 PM) *
(Note: This was in the Judah-Kahn thread, but it's such a great comment that I thought it deserved it's own thread)

The big wigs like Nevada still have clout. In fact, Nevada is like New York State years ago, where back than, everyone watched what New York was doing and followed suit. Nevada is the blue-print for boxing and they are still big in the decision making process. BUT, I think think that while the commissions and sanctioning bodies may try to reach compromises, they will almost never say no to what guys like Al Hayman, Oscar Delahoya, HBO, Floyd Mayweather, and Manny Pacquiao want.

It's almost like the Alphabet Federations. I think they are intimidated by King and Arum, and now the new intimidates are Delahoya and Hayman. King's power may be diminishing because of age. Maybe it's not intimidation, but when is the last time commissions and/or sanctioning bodies told a high-profiled fighter or promoter, "No?"

Jack

This is why there needs to be a national commission that oversees state commissions. If a promoter wants to have a professional fight in this country they should go through a national governing body. Fight gets approved and passed along to the state commission where it is hosted. Drug tests are administered, officials are selected, and its signed off by the national committee. If issues arise the state commission answers to the national governing body. I realize this may not favor the promoters but i think it is the best way to help save the sport. Each promotional outfit acts like a team just like in other major sports in this country, big fights are easier to be made and more money will in turn be made.

Sanctioning bodies still exist but much like how things are now with American fighters they dont really hold any weight. A ranking system is applied and the ring magazine titles are distributed to those deserving. If promoters don't want to abide by the rules they can fight abroad. Smaller promoters will eventually claim larger venues and TV dates and slowly the talent will shift towards signing with them. American boxing will rise as more fights will be televised on prime time(i would suggest a deal with TBS or TNT or USA as well as still on ESPN) more young kids will be interested and you will see a revive of American Olympic boxing.

This is all hypothetical and a pipe dream but if it were applied the right way i believe its the right way of going about things. Feel free to add on change or ridicule
Eighty88Eight
in what way does Pac or Mayweather's power manifest itself through the state commissions? Are they in someway given competitive advantages over their opponents?
EAlbian
QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Jul 25 2011, 03:32 PM) *
in what way does Pac or Mayweather's power manifest itself through the state commissions? Are they in someway given competitive advantages over their opponents?

no but they are able to demand certain things that may or may not be granted to lesser fighters so that they can get a chunk of that cash and have the fight in that state. Promoters can have an influence over the judges/officials that are choosen. Since Mayweather and Pac now both have promotional entities they are lumped into this. Its why williams got the decision over lara and delahoya over sturm, had they had a national governing body to answer too things may have been different.

Method
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 25 2011, 01:08 PM) *

Just had to bump it for you because I felt bad that nobody shared your sentiment. Come on, fellas. Show some pity. It was a great comment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.